Pathfinder: Pirates & Mercenaries [Closed]

Started by Silver Phoenix, October 14, 2016, 08:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Phoenix

After a vicious civil war, the losing (but still powerful) royal crown loses to the ursurpers.  Facing persecution and the assurance of grim tortures, the deposed King Arlan decides to upend and set sail across the great ocean with his heirs, and whatever wealth and loyal retainers he still has: his destination, the nameless and mythical lands across the vast ocean discovered only decades ago.

Countless mercenaries are brought to help them conquer and tame the new land, with gold and the promise of a new start and favour with the regime once established.  On a cold autumn morning, the grand fleet of over 300 ships set sail.  The month-long voyage was not without its mishaps however, and less than a third of the massive armada reaches across the tempestuous seas, after being ravaged by fierce storm of supernatural potency - the survivors of which all obtained peculiar silvery-white scars.

Now, as the remnants begin to sight land, the goal is to set up a semblance of civilisation and survive dangers of this strange new world.

Welcome to Pathfinder: Pirates & Mercenaries!  For those of you just joining us, welcome!  For those of you already here, recruitment is now open and characters are now being considered.  For those of you who are familiar with the Pathfinder adventure paths, this will be a bit like Skull & Shackles (50%), Kingmaker (30%), and Giantslayer (20%) mixed together.

Generally speaking, this will entail exploration, adventure, survival and social interaction.  Self-sufficiency (within a group) would be the key concept, so magic items are either scavenged or crafted by PCs (given a lack of settlements).  There won't be any 'higher destiny' or 'ancient conspiracies' so to speak - characters become whatever they can grasp with their hands and carve with bloodied swords.  I'm aiming for a rip-roaring, swashbuckling, pulpy feel to the game, with grandiose, larger-than-life characters - the story mainly focused on the exploits of the PCs themselves - fighting, cursing and adventuring by day; roaring songs, emptying flagons of wine, and wenching by night.

The Player Charter
If accepted to play in this game, the following code of conduct is expected:

• Respect other peoples preferences, preferably by following their O/Os like scripture.
  • Play nice with your fellow players, even if it means breaking character a bit.  Even if your character is Evil, screw over NPCs, not your fellow PCs.
  • A good solid post of 1 solid paragraph is expected (4 - 5 sentences), unless the GM has dispensed otherwise.  Although I know some of us like to be really creative, I'm going to say cap it at 3 paragraphs (see it as a challenge!).
  • Lengthy absences (exceeding 4 days) should be noted ahead of time in the OOC.  I'm hoping for at least 2 posts/week/player, but will expect at least a minimum of 1/week/player.  Players absent for a whole week get zapped out of existence by way of their Scar of Destiny (obtained in the above-mentioned storm), but can make a reentry as and when they choose (but please do consider your fellow players.)
  • GM decisions are final.  I follow the rules as close as possible, but will always prioritise keeping the game moving.  If my overriding the rules disadvantages your character somehow, rest assured that you will be compensated.

Character Building Guide
Important: Before you start mechanically start building characters, the first step of character submission will be presenting a general outline of the character you intend to play.  In one or two paragraphs (three max), distill the most important elements of their appearance (pictures are good, but describe them anyway), backstory (i.e. anything that will impact the present), personality (what other can expect), sexual orientation, and what role you foresee them when working as part of a team.  Use a separate paragraph to detail your hopes for the game and what you'd like to accomplish in it.  If your character gets approved, you may then begin to build him/her using the outlines below (I wouldn't want to waste your time otherwise).

• Custom Rules: Background Skills, Automatic Bonus Progression (ABP at Character level)
  • Ability Score Generation: 20 points buy allocation.  Maximum ability score of 15, before racial adjustment.  Bonus of +2 to any ability score of choice (including racially modified scores).
  • Starting Level: 6th; characters are veterans in their field.
  • Races: All Standard.  All others are on a case-for-case basis.  Generally speaking, most Featured races should also be fine.
  • Classes: Any official Paizo material.
  • Alignment: Any.  But keep in mind the Player Charter!
  • Hp: Max at 1st level. Half die (3 for d6s, 4 for d8s, etc...) + Con mod at all subsequent levels.
  • Traits: 2.  No drawbacks.
  • Starting Wealth: 8,000 gp (reduced for above-mentioned ABP; if you have traits or some other feature that gives you money, fair game.)  Full-casting classes who want a more expensive, class-related item (such as a staff for a wizard/sorcerer), can obtain one item valued at not more than 16,000 gp (i.e. 8001 - 16,000) - after purchasing this item, they have 100 gp left for personal effects.
Anything missed, feel free to bring it up.

Edit: Final selections will be on Sunday 23rd October and will be considering all until that day.

PLAYERCHARACTERSTATUS
Mister UglyNathan BilliardPending
BlinkinTari GravanteOn the muster!
Latooni Subota      Adelheid WeberOn the muster!
tyr4n02rZephyr ErkinOn the muster!
SnakeSyraPending
indarkestknightSableStandby
Zaer DarkwailTravisOn the muster!
MuseElora ShaielOn the muster!
ChaoticSkySarah KilaraiOn the muster!
TheGlyphstoneSalethar Shul-Skal-Ashali      Pending
Mister UglyTitch TradokzOn the muster!
My O/Os: Elliquiy, F-List

Current Game Capacity: 11/11; Full

Silver Phoenix

Thanks for the interest guys! I'm thinking the PCs are veterans, so it would be at around 5th level.

VonDoom

I'm interested in Pathfinder specifically, this sounds like an excellent opportunity to revive my gnome-raised elven investigator. I'll post some details on the character once I'm home, where I have his write-up available.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Blinkin

Could I nudge that into PF 6th level? ;)

lol

I don't mind 5E, but I find that Pathfinder allows for far more versatility in builds and expression of the character... I like the background options of 5E, but even with all of the options, everyone seems to be pretty much the same within a class... two rogues are going to be pretty much the same in capability, two fighters or bards, pretty much the same in what they can do.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Relikai

If its PF I'll have some trouble. Am more leaned to the 5E portion  :p

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: VonDoom on October 14, 2016, 10:39:34 AM
I'm interested in Pathfinder specifically, this sounds like an excellent opportunity to revive my gnome-raised elven investigator. I'll post some details on the character once I'm home, where I have his write-up available.
Will look forward to it.

Quote from: Blinkin on October 14, 2016, 10:40:05 AM
Could I nudge that into PF 6th level? ;)

lol
No objection in theory. Any particular reason? (just curious)

Quote from: Relikai on October 14, 2016, 10:41:09 AM
If its PF I'll have some trouble. Am more leaned to the 5E portion  :p
I'd like to make promises, but I guess we'll have to wait and see where the rides go

Grizzly

We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Relikai

I can always try, I do understand some elements like being the more detailed but still prefer 5E  ::)

I did win a copy of There Be Goblins from the Pathfinder Society too  XD

Revelation

I'd be interested in either edition! 5e is probably simpler but PF allows much more robust options, character wise.

VonDoom

I'll teach you to find the path, Red!  O:)

Tho' it may lead through terribly tentacle-troubled territories...  >:)

O&O

Chulanowa

It'd be interested in Pathfinder. 5E is a little... limited in options. And you're already basing hte concepts on Pathfinder, so let's go with htat.

VonDoom

Here's the old concept I was interested in reviving:

Edmund Aelvson, Wizard Extraordinaire!
Edmund Aelvson, Elven Investigator

http://circushof.com/glossary.html

Known Associates:
The Moonglow Circus Troupe
Scratch Moonglow, male Gnome Illusionist. Ring Master and Edmund's foster parent.
Zhree, female Goblin Alchemist.
Lod&Yod, half-elven acrobat twins. One male, one female, otherwise identical. Both Rogues.
And many more, including the freak show, a fortune-teller, a fire-breather, a strong man….

Personality:
Edmund Aelvson. Self-declared master wizard. A loquacious wonder, showoff extraordinaire and pathological liar, he is highly intelligent and verbose. Edmund has taken to the grand dramatics of the circus and made them his own, adopting a rather eccentric appearance and mannerisms that make all but certain he stands out in any locale he deigns to visit.

He has a penchant for lying whenever he opens his mouth and the very wizard-like  ability to think himself the smartest person in any given room and talk down to others accordingly.

All of this can make him rather obnoxious, but as a born showman, his actions are as much intended to entertain as to confuse those he intends to take advantage of. His keen wit often allows him to pick out who might be amused rather than annoyed by his antics and those he makes his allies.

His own motivations are as one might expect: he likes to soak up attention, he likes to feel clever and is quick to apply his skills and mind to try and solve problems presented to him, assuming that he feels doing so is to his advantage (of course, considering how he thrives on attention, it's surprisingly easy to motivate him).

A strong penchant to travel and curious streak have turned him into an adventurer -- wealth and a magical trinket or two are a strong lure as well, he isn't altruistic by any means, but he generally prefers to avoid or circumvent danger than face it -- when he has no other choice, he tends to err on the side of bluster: talking a lot and acting like he has little if anything to fear.

Background:
Found alone and taken in as an infant by a wandering circus, the Moonglow Circus Troupe, the young elf was raised by their ring leader, a kindly gnome named Scratch Moonglow. It was he who gave him his name, Edmund, though the wizened gnome often called him his 'elf son' instead -- Edmund used this as a point of inspiration to adopt the moniker 'Aelvson' when he took to traveling later in life.

As Edmund grew older it became painfully obvious that he lacked the magical talent of his brethren despite his particularly keen mind, so after many frustrations trying to learn from his foster father he received tutelage from another member of their troupe: Zhree, a goblin and alchemist. It was she who awakened his interest in alchemy and the many applications thereof, even as he spent much time learning from the other members of their illustrious assembly - in time, he even perfected his own act, acting as secondary ring master during parts of their show and performing various 'magic' tricks that were anything but.

However, the wish set out on his own and see where his luck and wits might get him, grew stronger and stronger and eventually he decided to part from his rather odd family-replacement and set about traveling on his own. On his way, he tricked, swindled, bamboozled and occasionally even helped out those he met. Between then and the present, he collected all manner of oddities and a reputation for chancing on adventure.

O&O

Blinkin

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on October 14, 2016, 10:51:19 AM
Will look forward to it.
No objection in theory. Any particular reason? (just curious)
I'd like to make promises, but I guess we'll have to wait and see where the rides go

I don't have to have it, but it would let me give the character a little more versatility and depth without having to sacrifice something important in the mechanics to do it, and for most classes, 6th level is one of those dud levels where nothing really changes.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Blinkin

Well, since someone offered up a bio, I'll put up the one that I'm giving strong consideration to... Note, this is a character that I played, briefly, many moons ago and I would enjoy seeing where she goes with some actual play.

Tari Gravante

Name: Tari Gravante
Sex: Female
Class: Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)

Physical Description: Standing at 5’7, Tari is a leggy woman with an athletic figure that none the less shows off soft, womanly curves. Her mass of thick, dark curly hair frames a heart shaped face that is dominated by large, intelligent dark gray eyes, a full, slightly pouty lower lip and a chin that stops just a shade short of being too stubborn. Her lightly tanned complexion and softly upturned eyes gives her an exotic beauty. She moves with the unconscious grace of a dancer; the sway of hip and smooth flow of leg is unmistakable when she crosses a room. Normally dressed in a cream colored tunic under a dark blue jacket that does nothing to hide the rounded mounds of her C cupped breast,, her leather pants are tucked into high, dark brown turned over boots; a weapons belt hangs low on her rounded hips with a rapier on her right hip and a matching dagger on the left.

Personality: Tari is a fascinating blend of outrageous flirt and bold, even reckless seriousness. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life and none other will be as loyal as she will. If you are an enemy… well… no one will be as loyal to the cause of getting even either. If you’re fun, you’ll get a time that you’ll never forget. In spite of her conflicting personality traits, she holds a set of morals and principles that can be absolutely depended on to hold true… exactly what those are may sometimes be in question, but never that she’ll follow them. She has a mischievous streak a league wide and a love of anything the least bit exciting and new… this can range from a new place to a new man (or woman) for a night of wenching and drinking… Hey, women can wench; they just call it something different! When the times call for seriousness, however, her mind is focused on whatever needs to be done and although she may trade witty comments and barbs with the opponent, she never forgets that it’s life and death… and she intends for her and hers to walk away with the life category. Often sweet and funny, she’ll happily sit down with the same “bad guy” for a civil conversation at a tavern simply because it’s the civilized thing to do and good conversation is good conversation… as long as the rules of courtesy are obeyed. Then, the next morning, do her best to best said bad-guy with her blades… unless the point of the fight isn’t to kill each other, but she’ll fight just as hard all the same… If you want to beat her, you’re going to have to work for it!

Background: Tari is the youngest daughter of Baron Phenael Gravante, and admittedly, the apple of his eye. Even though she continues to disobey him and avoid suitor after suitor with some skill, she knows that She would not inherit from the family and must make her own way in the world if she wants to be free.

Tari, following the example of her 4 older brothers, gravitated to the ways of the warrior and her fascination with the blade has led her to no small amount of trouble and, because she is a woman, an unorthodox method of training. When her father’s Man-at-arms refused to teach her, she went out on her own and discovered an old rogue who, for a price that shouldn’t be spoken of in polite company, taught her the ways of light blades; the dance of speed and movement, wit and thought... the dance of the blade for when many of her opponents will be larger and stronger than she is… to face anger with a sort of glee that is shown in the way that the tongue can taunt and tempt the enemy to act without thought… where her own body might be a lure to act without wisdom… to be bold and wait for the subtle moments. Along with the sword play, she learned much about the underside of the world and while she would never be a thief, she is aware of that profession and may have some small talent in going places that she shouldn’t.

Tari's primary role within the party would be as a mobile, light fighter; secondary roles would be as the girl who gets you into places that you shouldn't be in and hunter of traps... oh, and she's cute too, so don't underestimate her ability to charm!

Sexual Orientation: Tari is straight.... mainly and prefers the company of men, but in a pinch she can entertain a woman just as well.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ChaoticSky

Also interested. Only PF though.

Supplementary questions if you decide to use Pathfinder; Given the themes of this game can we use Background Skills? And how many Traits if any?

Blinkin

I would like general generation guidelines at all, but we're still waiting to see what we're doing.

Pathfinder, I would love a 25 point buy, background skills and a drawback option.

It'll take me a bit to do the character itself, but it's mostly adjusting numbers and revising the old character for an archetype.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

TheGlyphstone

Definitely interested. I'd prefer Pathfinder as well, but I could live with 5E.

Silver Phoenix

Welcome all! For the moment, it's strongly looking to be in the direction of Pathfinder as the sys of choice. I'm familiar with the optional systems mentioned and wouldn't mind using them.

I'll eventually get around to seeing what the build options would be.

Quote from: Muse on October 14, 2016, 02:12:05 PM
*peeks*  Am I too late to express interest? 
Since this is an interest check, never too late Muse!

TheGlyphstone

Latooni Subota

If Pathfinder, I'll give it a shot. My pirate cleric from Pathfinder Society could use some dusting off.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Mister Ugly

okay I am in as well I have a great idea for a ranger!! based on a lovely picture I found!!

>MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

indarkestknight

Tentatively interested in Pathfinder. Batting around ideas (maybe half a dozen possibilities) without having settled on one just yet.

What level of firearms are allowed?

What sources are allowed? PRD only? Anything Paizo? 3pp?

Is the campaign setting Golarion?

Florence

Seems like you've got a lot of interest already, but I'd say I'm interested in this idea, sure.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.