In your honest opinion, who do you think has the best chance of becoming POTUS?

Started by Question Mark, March 02, 2016, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

He's incited comments from some quarters with words like assault and abuse in them in spite of his apology.

gaggedLouise

It will be very interesting to watch the second debate...I have a feeling it will be an um, stingy affair. Like a bear trapped in a cage... :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Mithlomwen

According to Nancy O'dell (the 'Nancy' Donald is referring to in the recording) it wasn't a 'hot mic' recording. She mentions that there were six or seven other people in the bus with him and Billy Bush at the time of the recording. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

CuriousEyes

I can't decide if what I'm feeling right now is from my flu shot, or what I've just watched.

gaggedLouise

Been picking up some of the pieces and quotes from the reporting (didn't watch the fight live) and boy, this sounds like it came out every bit as ugly and harsh as expected. Must have been the first major presidential debate where one candidate actually told the other one to his/her face: when I'm in office I will aim to have you sent to jail. The implied crime being something like treason.  ::)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on October 10, 2016, 05:54:30 AM
In spite of everything, I still have this sinking feeling that Trump's going to win.

I think he's losing it, he's grinding down the support both among the voters he needs and within the Republican party. The talk-show stuff that worked great during the primaries won't wash near as well during the run-up to the actual election day, with people who aren't in his home camp, his supporter club to begin with.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: Beorning on October 10, 2016, 05:54:30 AM
In spite of everything, I still have this sinking feeling that Trump's going to win.

At times, it really does feel like it's going to come down to whoever has the last scandal revealed or public gaffe is going to lose.

Presidential Musical Chairs.

Missy

I hope he's losing it, giant turn or shit sandwiche, it sucks and I hate it, but for fucks sake I don't want such an amazing bigot, misogynist and bully within a hundred yards of the oval office.

gaggedLouise

Let's hope for more Trump sex tapes, and worse sex tapes...  :D Or revelations about his recent tax returns.  ;) I think both of those would be high on the sleuthing list of many American media outlets for now.

Beguile's Mistress

I did watch the debate and have to say that Trump's demeanor was more calm than I had expected.  However, all of the coverage that I was able to catch talked about his inability to stay on point and answer the questions that were asked, his lack of an apology for the remarks in the video aired on Friday and his attacks on his opponent for things other people did.

The two candidates avoided touching.  There was no handshake at the beginning and barely a touch of hands at the end.  Following the first debate Trump had seemed to usher Hillary forward with a hand at the small of her back, a normal and casual gesture I've seen many people make.  Last night he seemed to reach toward her but backed off. 

Another point commentators made was that Trump did little to try and woo the undecided voters and addressed his remarks toward his supporters.  He appeared to be trying to hold on to what he had rather than keep them and get new support as well.

This, too:  Not about Trump specifically but...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/amber-tamblyn-tells-horrific-sexual-assault-story-in-light-of-donald-trumps-audio-revelation/ar-BBxdZLw?li=BBnbfcL&OCID=AVRES007

Oniya

Every now and again I get this crazy feeling that T-Rump is actually trying to sabotage his campaign, because he was only ever trying to promote 'his brand' and never intended to become President.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 10, 2016, 08:51:40 AM
Let's hope for more Trump sex tapes, and worse sex tapes...  :D Or revelations about his recent tax returns.  ;) I think both of those would be high on the sleuthing list of many American media outlets for now.

Please no, for a Trump sex tape. I think watching that, makes me vomit.  :P

Oniya

Quote from: lovelylilT on October 10, 2016, 09:23:52 AM
Please no, for a Trump sex tape. I think watching that, makes me vomit.  :P

Fully agree here.  The statues that appeared not too long ago were bad enough.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Well, it's a safe bet that many news editors are looking for that kind of material by now.   ^_ ^

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Oniya on October 10, 2016, 08:59:48 AM
Every now and again I get this crazy feeling that T-Rump is actually trying to sabotage his campaign, because he was only ever trying to promote 'his brand' and never intended to become President.

The Accidental Candidate

Though, hopefully, not The Accidental President.

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 10, 2016, 09:32:55 AM
Well, it's a safe bet that many news editors are looking for that kind of material by now.   ^_ ^
People who worked on "The Apprentice" have been reminded of the non-disclosure agreement they signed.

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 10, 2016, 09:34:13 AM

The Accidental Candidate

Though, hopefully, not The Accidental President.

I was thinking more of the Lex Luthor presidency in JLA, but yeah.

Valerian

Quote from: Oniya on October 10, 2016, 08:59:48 AM
Yeah, theories along those lines have been floating around for quite a while.  Cracked (of course) posted a video on the subject early on:

http://www.cracked.com/video_20056_what-if-donald-trump-just-elaborate-prank.html
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

gaggedLouise

I recall this episode of one of the last seasons of The West Wing (around 2003?) where a senior Russian politician was visiting Washington and a Russian reporter, living in exile, had come after him to try to confront him with some dirty and private secrets and cut him open at a press conference or something, so she could get it presented in a slanderous way. She wanted that kind of public confrontation, and the press officer told her something like, Look, I understand this guy's a politician using some dirty methods, he's not much of a democrat, and that you've got some real and solid grievances against him, but this is not the way we do it on U.S. soil: even in case what you've got is factually half true, you'll have to find some better stuff to nail him with.

I think that was very much Aaron Sorkin's comment on the tawdriness of some public political scandals.

Oniya

Quote from: Valerian on October 10, 2016, 09:49:26 AM
Yeah, theories along those lines have been floating around for quite a while.  Cracked (of course) posted a video on the subject early on:

http://www.cracked.com/video_20056_what-if-donald-trump-just-elaborate-prank.html

There was also a take-off on 'The Producers' about it.  It's just that recently it's been such a train-wreck that it's starting to look believable.

HannibalBarca

The problem with the 'it's all a massive trolling of the American people by Trump' meme is that Trump's followers are not trolling.  16% of them think getting rid of slavery was a bad thing.  31% are either sure or not certain if whites are a superior race.  That shouldn't take too many brain cells to decide on.  If there's one thing Trump has done that is good, it has silenced the talking heads who say that racism is dead in America. It's been more like kicking a rotten log and seeing all the vermin spill out.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Beguile's Mistress

Did you ever think of what will happen if Trump gets elected and then resigns?  We would be stuck with Pence for four years.

gaggedLouise

In a speech Tuesday, Trump urged people to make sure to vote on November the 28th. :D I hope that's when many of his supporters come around to vote...

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: HannibalBarca on October 11, 2016, 09:02:51 PM
The problem with the 'it's all a massive trolling of the American people by Trump' meme is that Trump's followers are not trolling.

The problem isn't whether or not, however, if they are serious or not.  The problem would exist if they possessed the actual ability and approval of society to act on their particular set of beliefs.  I can believe that the Earth is flat all that I want to, but I'm just a crazy man screaming nonsense in a corner without any way to actually enforce my views on people.  And I say enforce quite literally because there is less than 0% chance of me actually convincing someone through evidence that the world is flat.

That said, if Trump would actually give people like what you describe a pathway to force their beliefs on the rest of America, then there exists a problem.

If there's one thing Trump has done that is good, it has silenced the talking heads who say that racism is dead in America. It's been more like kicking a rotten log and seeing all the vermin spill out.

Of course racism isn't dead.  As long as there are races, distinct in their ethnic identity, there will be racism.  The total elimination of racism is not an ideal goal for a liberal, democratic society because of the necessary policies that would need to be put into place.  The goal should be that institutional racism, racism enforced at the end of a gun or laws or whatever - stuff like Jim Crow - should be eliminated, and that racist ideology should be exposed for the brand of ignorance that it is and shunned on a widespread societal basis.  Goals that have largely been achieved.  The Fox News cry of 'racism is dead b/c we have a black President' is simply something they use to further their political narrative, having no more substance in fact than the idea that the Earth is flat.

16% of them think getting rid of slavery was a bad thing.  31% are either sure or not certain if whites are a superior race.  That shouldn't take too many brain cells to decide on. 

In the one case, that is not precisely a great number of people, in the latter...more to come.

Let's say that Trump wins with 50.5% of the vote.  If 16% of his supporters believe that getting rid of slavery was bad, then that means that about 8.1% of the US population believes it, for a total of about 26 million people...a number slightly higher than the population of North Korea (24 million).  This is, of course, almost certainly not true, considering that not every person voting Trump would do so because they wholeheartedly support him.  And that number, I would guess, would be concentrated in certain areas of the country.

The latter is...it can be hard for some people - especially dumb ones - to separate superior race from superior culture.  I may just be thinking naively, but I'm guessing that most of those people aren't saying white people are racially superior, they're culturally superior.  Which is a thing.  Not that white culture is superior to black culture, but that you have certain cultures that are superior to others in general.  Nobody would say that the culture of 8th century France is just as good as the culture of France today.

Racial superiority - in the strictest sense - is difficult to measure.  Race is basically based upon genetic patterns and selections.  How do you measure the superiority of one set of genes to another?

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 11, 2016, 10:08:42 PM
In a speech Tuesday, Trump urged people to make sure to vote on November the 28th. :D I hope that's when many of his supporters come around to vote...
He has a lot of trouble with numbers.  Maybe that's why so many of his businesses failed and he screwed so many vendors.