Player for DM in original universe of Medieval aesthetic.

Started by RavenDaas, December 13, 2018, 11:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavenDaas

This isn't going to be nearly as flashy or in-depth as some of the others I've seen on here when looking for examples on how to design my own; partially because I'm not experienced enough in using handles, partially due to an admitted disinterest. In that same vein, I'll try and present whatever someone might find interesting or important to know if they'd want to pick up on this.

As the title gets across, I'm invested heavily into the idea of narrators - DMs, GMs, whatever your flavor of word - speaking onto a player in a world of their own creation - which, in this case, without a system, though I've no issue with someone taking inspiration from the likes of D&D or Pathfinder -  preferably one that they feel a good amount of sentimental pride in rather than just something manufactured for the purposes of having something to work with. In more poetic terms; I'm not-so much looking for the log cabin someone built for their family from scratch so much as I am the dream house that they fantasized about since they were kids; full of colorful characters, locations, unique and distinguishable cultures and nations that stand out amongst them. Atop that, I'm a fan of 'niche,' topics when it comes to worldbuilding that isn't obvious or can be observed in the same way one would see with their eyes - economics. Trade. These sorts of theories that live to justify why a world is the way it is rather and thus aggravating someone's ambitions and ideals whether they be on a national wide scale and thus a matter of policy, or something more personal and lead. The distinction would be, really, in what sort of story is being told?

Is it a politically oriented story of the player acting as someone that, in one way or another, stumbled their way into wielding official power and all the influence that implies? That, ideally, would mean having a world that's truly flushed out itself in terms of the bounties and resources provided by the planet and what countries decide to do with them and how that justifies how they interact with one another - I have a pretty profound love for military fiction and often try to get as in-depth with it as much as I can. On that note; when I say 'medieval,' I do mean that pretty strictly. I'm talking sword, fire, and trebuchet being the most innovative things around. Magic might provide some form of alternative form of medium for science in war or otherwise, but, typically speaking, magic realistically - and ought to unless given a rationale otherwise - be a detriment to the progression of science and technology, not a benefit to it.

If it's a more off the rails adventure of a one-person army; whether it be a violent story or not? Make it a grand adventure, a road trip of sorts with a character whose intent is exploration of the world and finding every underbelly and secret it has. Full disclosure? I'm pretty big on violence. Not in sexual terms, but genuine, 'these two or more objects want to end the other's life,' sort of situations and their depiction. I'm a pretty big advocate of pacifism in real life, but I'm totally happy to use my darker tendencies to replicate harsh, brutal bloodshed through the medium of writing whether it be against monsters, humans, humanoids, the civilized and the uncivilized - whatever. A proper adventure needs no greater motivation than the urge to continue it. There really needs to be no greater plot or urgency to the story other than to see what'll happen next. That being said? There can be a greater ambition as the story goes on, perhaps even morphing into a political story of an adventurer-turned-warlord ala Pathfinder D&D. Some of my favorite stories are about Kingmakers who carve out their realm with their own two hands.

To put a halt to that trail of thought - it ought to be mentioned that I am preferable to bitter, inhospitable worlds. If that's not your thing? Fair dues. I'm happy with lighthearted humor all the way through. But I feel as if it adds more weight to a story to have the world be one that's depicted for what it is; life in ye' old days was horrible, brutal, and unforgiving. Making it a better place, a genuinely happier, more loving world ought to mean more than just adding logs to the fire. That's just my perspective anyways. I'm talking poverty, disease and realistic depictions of what 'chivalry,' meant. Wartime atrocities and inhumane treatment - so on.

I'm happy to play most characters of various backgrounds, appearance, gender, whatever. I have a lot of my own lined up in my head, but am just as happy to create one on the spot. I myself am bisexual and most of my characters often are with some rare ones amongst the bunch. Erotica and such are...meh. I find that people tend to get rather lazy with it and give up being writers when smut arises and tend to get very formulaic as if they're following a script; I enjoy writing it when my partner is good at it. That's about as much as I have to say about it. I have a lot of interests sexually. My characters will all have their own. My only limit is non-con involving my character. This means when they say 'no,' then whatever or whoever might be doing whatever to them stops.

Uh. I'dunno. Running out of steam at this point admittedly - shout out to Christina Applegate. Discord's cool - feel free to ask for it if you'd want to use it for OC chatter or arpee. You'll find it in my signature. Yup. Pretty sure that's about it. Peace.
"If an assault were launched on this building right now - if the windows came crashing down and the whole world descended upon you - this man would hurl himself into death's way to save you. You're certain of this. And you don't know why."