News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkaniel

Wrong thread to be posting, hon!

Hehe. Just teasing. Besides, my previous post was just my two bits to the discussion/conversation/whatever :)

On Topic: I should really be getting my hands on Game of Thrones!

Lilias

Quote from: Arkaniel on April 26, 2012, 06:30:54 AM
Actually, the way I learned it: you have red AND blue veins, the red ones going to every cell/limb/part of your body, rich in oxygen, the blue veins return to your heart.

Actually, the blood in the veins has a bluish tinge because it's rich in carbon dioxide, heading towards the lungs to be cleaned again. The blood in the arteries is bright red, newly saturated with oxygen. Oxygenated, thus red, is its default state.

Back on topic: With each episode I'm getting more and more sold on the credits sequence. Clockwork Westeros trumps nearly everything we actually see in the show. Am I the only one?
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Rhapsody

I love the title sequence. And the music is just gorgeous.

I have a harder version of the theme song as my cell phone's ring tone.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Remiel

I love the way they insert new locations as they become endemic to the plot.  (Harrenhal! Qarth! Squee!)

jouzinka

Harrenhal is AWESOME! I loved it. And the title sequence is just genial. Ramin Djawadi proved great on Clash of Titans for the music and he continues to do so with the music for Game of Thrones. I like that he's not afraid to just let things happen in silence. And builds suspension very well. :-)

What's your fav from the title sequence? I have to say, I really like the White Tree in Winterfell and Eyrie, but Pyke just trumps it all. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Rhapsody

The awesomeness of the Wall and Castle Black in the title sequence is only trumped by the awesomeness of the actual Wall and Castle Black.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Lilias

Pyke is my favourite. I was already slack-jawed at the images the description in the book was conjuring; seeing it just finished me off.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sasquatch421

I second The Wall and Castle Black in the title sequence, it has to be my favorite location in the books. I like the actor they got to play Jon Snow as well.... Man my willpower is tapped, I might just go swipe the new book from mom until I can get it....

jouzinka

I ordered the last books and am picking them up tomorrow. ;D I'm halfway through the second part of Storm of Swords by now. Not bad, considering I had two thirds to go of Clash of Kings by April 3rd, if you ask me. XD

Lilias

Quote from: jouzinka on April 26, 2012, 01:23:09 PM
I ordered the last books and am picking them up tomorrow. ;D I'm halfway through the second part of Storm of Swords by now. Not bad, considering I had two thirds to go of Clash of Kings by April 3rd, if you ask me. XD

Despite their size, they read quite smoothly. *nodsnods*

* Lilias is another of those who found out about ASoIaF through E.
~Wendell Berry

jouzinka

They really do, which even my brother had to concede. ;D I made him try the first book in English, hoping it _might_ improve his English. ;D

Anyway, I found out about Song of Ice and Fire from him, actually. He kept raving about the series and I thought I gotta read it...

Iniquitous

For those who love the theme music here is a guy playing all parts on the violin. Absolutely awesome to listen to.

Game of Thrones Violin Cover
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

jouzinka

Wow, IO, that's a great video. :o Here's the opening theme, void of the sounds of the "Clockwork Westeros."

Game of Thrones - Main Theme (Official Soundtrack Version)

Rhapsody

|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Iniquitous

I found a cover done on bagpipes ... and while I normally love bagpipes - my ears are bleeding. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o44iD03z3P0&feature=related

Symphonic Metal Game of Thrones cover - not too bad at all.

Rhapsody

|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Malthas

Can't wait for the next novel in the series.

If lucky we won't have to wait five years like ye ol book fans did. 
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

Sasquatch421

I finished A Feast for Crows in 2 days, I had alot of free time on my hands. My biggest thing is I love softcovers as they are smaller and easier to fit on my shelf. I always have my girl Anita to tide me over til then I guess....

jouzinka

Quote from: Malthas on April 26, 2012, 02:11:20 PM
Can't wait for the next novel in the series.

If lucky we won't have to wait five years like ye ol book fans did. 
Hi, Malthas, welcome to E. :-)

This is something that honestly bugs me. I mean... with the series and all, it would be rather awkward if the series ran the course of the books and the last installment couldn't be at least filmed, no? So he should have it finished in ~ 3 years, I suppose, so that they can at least film it with some continuity towards the actors' age and broadcast a year or so later.

Shjade

So I was thinking it over, and I think I figured out at exactly what point my interest in this series started to drop off (currently stalled around 100 pages into book 4, with no real interest in picking it up again).

It was the last time a certain character uttered this phrase:
"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

After that, eh...I dunno, I think my mind considered the most compelling parts of the story kinda over; everything after that just seems like dull politics and bitchiness and angst. :|

Unrelated to the above: remember little while back when we had the brief discussion regarding Ned's suicidal sense of honor? Found an image that perfectly translates exactly how naive that kind of personality would be on a different character that actor has played.

>.>
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Rhapsody

I disagree, to a certain extent. Yes, Ned choked to death on his own sense of honor from time to time. *coughALOTcough* But he didn't take the opinion that the Iron Throne was Targaryen by right, and it should be given back to Daenerys. His honor extended as far as wanting no part in murdering her simply because she was pregnant.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Shjade

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 27, 2012, 10:03:51 AM
I disagree, to a certain extent. Yes, Ned choked to death on his own sense of honor from time to time. *coughALOTcough* But he didn't take the opinion that the Iron Throne was Targaryen by right, and it should be given back to Daenerys. His honor extended as far as wanting no part in murdering her simply because she was pregnant.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
While that's true, I believe this is more in reference to his extremely direct approach in telling everyone he felt Joffrey was not the appropriate ruler and that it should go to Robert's next eldest brother, the one no one on any side wanted to have the throne, thereby guaranteeing someone would put a stop to his plans, if not everyone.
◕/◕'s

Iniquitous

Oh lords I found this on my FB and laughed my butt off.

Shjade

Oh man. I kept it together until Al Gore Stark at the end.

Lost it.
◕/◕'s

jouzinka

ROFL, IO, that is golden. XD