News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Five Mad Scientists

Started by Greenthorn, August 09, 2008, 05:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

Five Mad Scientists Who Went Too Far in the Name of Science

I'm going to copy paste the written part of this, then each of you can choose to see the videos/pictures.  I myself found this all very intriguing, but some might be "squicked" by the video.

1. Vladimir Demikhov (1916-1998)

Demikhov was a pioneer in organ transplantation. Although he was unable to be the first to do heart transplants in humans, he did do many organ transplants in animals. He was most notoriously known for creating a cruel monstrosity in 1954. He surgically attached the head, shoulders, and front legs of a puppy onto a mature dog. People were astonished, if not repulsed, to see the animals lap up milk from bowls. This creation wasn't his only. In a span of 15 years, he created 20 more of these creatures. None of them lasted more than a month due to tissue rejection or infections.

2. Giovanni Aldini (1762-1834)

Aldini was the nephew of Luigi Galvani. His uncle essentially discovered the concept of galvanism, when experimenting with electrical currents on frog legs. Aldini took those experiments further. Aldini conducted his experiments on corpses.  In front of an audience, he conducted an experiment on a hung murderer, George Forster. He applied conducting rods to the man's rectum, whereby the dean man began to punch the air, and his legs began to kick and flinch. Rods applied to the face made it clench and quiver. The left eye popped open. Several people present feared the man had come back to life, and had he actually sprung forth, he would have to be re-executed. One individual was so horrified, that shortly upon leaving the spectacle, he reportedly died.

3. Andrew Ure (1778-1857)

Andrew Ure, despite his many accomplishments as a Scottish doctor, was more famously known for four experiments conducted on Matthew Clydesdale on November 4, 1818. The first experiment involved an incision in the nape of the neck. Part of the vertebra was removed. An incision was then made in the left hip. Then a cut was made in the heel. Two rods connected to a battery were placed in the neck and hip, which caused great, uncontrollable convulsions. The 2nd rod was then placed into the heel, whereby the left leg kicked with such force, that it nearly knocked over an assistant. The 2nd experiment made the diaphragm of Forster's chest rise and lower, as if he were breathing again.

Ure had reported that had Forster's blood not been drained, or his neck broken from the hanging, he was sure he could bring him back to life. The 3rd experiment showed the extraordinary facial expressions exhibited when Ure made an incision in Forster's forehead. The rod was inserted, and Forster's face began to show emotions of anger, horror, despair, anguish, and hideous, contorted smiles. The expressions scared viewers so badly, that one doctor who was known to have a strong stomach, passed out on the spot. The final experiment had people believing that Forster was indeed alive. A cut was made into the forefinger. Once the rod was inserted, Forster began to raise his hand and point to people in the audience. Needless to say, many were horrified.

4. Sergei Bruyukhonenko

His research led to the development of open-heart procedures. He developed a crude machine called the autojektor (a heart and lung machine). By using this primitive machine, Bryukhonenko kept the heads of severed dogs alive. In 1928, he displayed one of the heads in front of an audience. To prove it was real, he banged a hammer on the table. The head flinched. When a light was shone in its eyes, the eyes blinked. And when it was fed a piece of cheese, the remnants promptly popped out of the esophageal tube, much to the displeasure of disgusted viewers.

5. Johann Konrad Dippel (1673-1734)

Dippel was a bit of a weirdo. He was an alchemist who was trying to find ways to extend life. He lived in the castle of Frankenstein (yup, this place actually existed) in Darmstadt, Germany. When corpses from the Frankenstein cemetery began to disappear, he was chased out of the village. He was also known to have boiled the flesh of corpses and animals to make elixirs. He was an ardent vivisectionist (operation on live specimens), and although he was constantly searching for the elixir for long life, it would elude him.

Here is the link for anyone who would like to see the pics and the photos

HairyHeretic

Whats wrong with good, old fashioned doomsday devices, death rays, and armies of half man/half avacado minions? Stick the classics!
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Greenthorn

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 10, 2008, 03:34:42 AM
Whats wrong with good, old fashioned doomsday devices, death rays, and armies of half man/half avacado minions? Stick the classics!

I wish I could get away with doing some of those experiments!  But then again...I'm....'special' like that *grins*

The Great Triangle

Ah, Mad science, so sexy.   ;)

I'm just ignorant enough of science to be able to enjoy technobabble.  It's a rather funny sort of thing.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 10, 2008, 12:42:58 PM
Ah, Mad science, Greenthorn is so sexy.   ;)

I'm just ignorant enough of science to be able to enjoy technobabble.  It's a rather funny sort of thing.

Aww thanks GT

*giggles*

HairyHeretic

I believe you can combine mad science with sexy in the Xxxenophile card game. Never played it though, just heard about it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Greenthorn

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 10, 2008, 01:31:48 PM
I believe you can combine mad science with sexy in the Xxxenophile card game. Never played it though, just heard about it.

Never heard of it *sighs*

But umm..I love science...and GT said I'm sexy (he did..I swear!)..so I don't need a card game!

;D

HairyHeretic

http://www.studiofoglio.com/xeno.html

You can probably find the comics if you look hard enough. They're .. enjoyable  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Ah, studio Foglio.  I really do love Girl Genius, their webcomic.  It's also quite applicable to this thread. 

All hail Krosp I, emperor of all cats!

And GT, I never said you were sexy,  ...Sexy.   ;)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Girl Genius is a lot of fun. It's one of my regular webcomics.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 09, 2008, 05:11:34 PMHe applied conducting rods to the man's rectum...

I swear, you start applying conducting rods to people's rectums and suddenly you're "mad" and you've "gone too far"...

(Seriously, Greenthorn, great topic! :) )

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Greenthorn

Quote from: Spel on August 12, 2008, 04:48:28 AM
I swear, you start applying conducting rods to people's rectums and suddenly you're "mad" and you've "gone too far"...

(Seriously, Greenthorn, great topic! :) )

Spel

(thanks)

And here I thought it was something appropiate for foreplay *sighs*

:D

HairyHeretic

None when done in front of a lecture crowd, no :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Greenthorn

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 12, 2008, 11:06:45 AM
None when done in front of a lecture crowd, no :)

Ahhh that explains a lot!

*giggles*

Well unless it's a lecture hall full of voyeurs?  *smirks*

HairyHeretic

You can do degrees in voyeurism now? Why weren't these available when I was going to school? And what would you do with that degree? Papparazzi? Politician?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ShrowdedPoet

Mmmmm. . .I need to get one of those degrees. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 12, 2008, 11:11:33 AM
You can do degrees in voyeurism now? Why weren't these available when I was going to school? And what would you do with that degree? Papparazzi? Politician?

Ahh yes...you didn't know!  It's called "WatchMe University"

Jarl Tiberius

Nice...thanks for sharing, I hope you will soon write an article about Five Mad Professors!

Greenthorn

Quote from: Jarl Tiberius on August 13, 2008, 01:23:56 AM
Nice...thanks for sharing, I hope you will soon write an article about Five Mad Professors!

Would you like me to?  *laughs* I so could go into detail as to why everything those "mad" scientists did was completely okay...even with my anarchist opposition to scientific testing on animals!

Jarl Tiberius

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 13, 2008, 08:52:59 AM
Would you like me to?  *laughs* I so could go into detail as to why everything those "mad" scientists did was completely okay...even with my anarchist opposition to scientific testing on animals!
Huh? I was talking about professors not scientists.

The Overlord

The parts that disturbed me most are hooking up the severed dog heads to a life support machine. What sick jerk thought this was a good idea?

And let's think about this for a moment. The dog flinched when he banged a hammer, blinked when subjected to bright light, and was able to swallow when offered food. All of this could be basic reflex, but you have to ask if the dog was truly conscious. It's perhaps a mercy that a dog might not be able to truly comprehend its reality of being a SEVERED HEAD LYING ON A TABLE ON LIFE SUPPORT.  :o

That is some sick stuff, I'm sorry but I can't overstress this point. This was not a case of science gone amok, this was science gone pure evil. You hear stories of when they were beheading people on a regular basis, Middle Ages, French Revolution, etc., and the theory goes once the blade falls and your head drops you have a few moments of consciousness before the lack of oxygen to the brain mercifully snuffs consciousness forever. Enough time to contemplate your brief existence as a severed head? Now imagine being hooked to some infernal machine so it lasts for a good long while.

I read this part and just felt sick. I think these assholes should have experimented on themselves, if they were so eager to learn the details.  >:( >:( >:(

Modified some language to be more appropriate to a public forum... this is becoming a habit, OL... ~T

Spookie Monster

Given the course that this thread's taken, I just can't resist posting this link to an article that I stumbled across:

Professor Under Investigation For Mooning

Although the event in question apparently occurred in March, please note that the article was printed the day after the focus of this thread turned to "WatchMe University."

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Greenthorn

HorrorShow

Greenthorn this is a pretty interesting find I can not believe those experiments with the dogs actually worked maybe all those old pulp stories about Nazi scientists creating undead monsters are true.

We can't leave out the king of Mad Scientists Nikola Tesla, he drafted plans for an actual death ray and claimed it could work though I don't think he ever had the funds to see it through which is probably a good thing unless he used it on Edison we would probably have free wireless energy powering our homes by now lol