Adrift in Space (Closed to New Players)

Started by kckolbe, October 16, 2013, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbles

Phaia,

Oh, I think you should keep rugby, it's nice and unique! I just commented on it since it's not something you often see and I thought it might have some other meaning I'm not aware of.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Phaia

well what do9 ya think of the character concept hmmm?

Phaia

arkhos

Quote from: Phaia on October 18, 2013, 04:12:22 AM
sorry i dont know what sports would be played in the colonies so went with rugby

give me a sport that she would have been grilled on instead!!

phaia

Pyramid!! :)

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Pyramid_%28RDM%29

Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Scribbles

Phaia,

I think someone more knowledgeable would be better suited to commenting but I'll give it a whirl...

Honestly, I like the concept, the neglected child being picked up and taught by a talented parental figure is tried and true. I'm just surprised her parents never showed any reaction to the path her aunt was pushing her toward. From what I understand, socialators are associated with prostitutes and generally looked upon with some disgust. It just seems they might feel at least some shame to be the ones who "stain" a long family history of proud military service. At the very least, instead of sending her gifts or cards, I wouldn't be surprised if they completely disowned her seeing that she comes off as unwanted and a mistake anyway...

Mind you, this is all opinion, your current portrayal works fine.

Lastly, I like the picture you drew at the end since I've not watched the show and it gave a little perspective on the fall of the Twelve Colonies and the heavy impact it had.
AA and OO

Phaia

pyramid works great...thanks!!

changed it!!

phaia

Phaia

scribbles,

think more like a companion from firefly or a geisha
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Socialator

but yes basically in many cases exactly what you think....in her case she is that 20000 a night one people hear about but dont really believe exsist!
as for the stain i was waiting to flesh that out with another player should they want to link backgrounds

phaia

Kythia

Phaia, want to link up then?  Niece would work slightly better for me than daughter and seems to fit your background better.  I'm thinking Aunt Hera was my sister, black sheep of the family for not joining the military. 

Scribbles

Phaia,

I feel bad about adding this right after Kythia's offer (maybe we can do some sort of three-way link?) but how would you feel about linking up with Lasara? I haven't really fleshed out her relationship with her parents but they seem to follow a similar path to Zara's, I can even do some editing to help match up if need be. The two could be sisters and we could imply that Lasara was often sent, usually for birthdays or special events, to try push Zara to follow the family tradition of military service?
AA and OO

Caela

Quote from: Scribbles on October 18, 2013, 04:09:11 AM
kckolbe,

I just read this line and wanted to confirm before I changed anything, "Min age-29 15/6, 3 DP, no flaws required..."

Does this mean the minimum age is twenty-nine for characters?

Oh and to expand on RedEve's question, what are Destiny Points generally used for and are they finite?

Phaia said, "It was the most intense and grueling time she had ever had. Physical, mental, emotional, knowledge on politics and rugby."

Rugby, do you mean the sport?

I think he meant that if your character's minimum age is under 29, you start with 15/6 (experience points/abilities), 3 destiny points and no flaws are required.

No actual idea what Destiny points are though lol.

kckolbe

Quote from: RedEve on October 18, 2013, 04:03:39 AM
Questions:

What does the "DP" stand for?
How do we choose the required flaw? Is there a list?

If you are the naughty girl I'm hoping you are, then you know what DP stands for.  ~grins~  In this game, however, it is short for Destiny Points.  As for merits and flaws (and other Destiny Point uses), those will be posted soon. (Since other people have asked about this)

Quote from: Kythia on October 18, 2013, 04:07:05 AM
mia and kckolbe - I was thinking about bumping my status right up to 6 and being in my post since before the attacks (not through the death of a superior).  I like the idea of the established and experienced military commander and the naïve president who should never really have been there in normal circumstances.

Obviously this affects both your character, mia, and the game in general, kckolbe, so I thought I better solicit feedback before finalising anything.

That is completely okay for your character to have been in place, but I would still like to cap you character's status at 5 for now, at least until reading the write up.  Remember that until the attack your character was only the highest ranking in the fleet, not the entire military. 

Quote from: Scribbles on October 18, 2013, 04:09:11 AM
kckolbe,

I just read this line and wanted to confirm before I changed anything, "Min age-29 15/6, 3 DP, no flaws required..."

Does this mean the minimum age is twenty-nine for characters?

Negative.  I meant that any characters between the minimum age and 29 would start with those points.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kythia

Coolio. I'll get the write up done this evening.

Scribbles

Phaia,

Actually, ignore my earlier offer to link the two as a family, it was really inappropriate to make the suggestion right after Kythia.

Quote from: Caela on October 18, 2013, 07:01:47 AM
I think he meant that if your character's minimum age is under 29, you start with 15/6 (experience points/abilities), 3 destiny points and no flaws are required.

No actual idea what Destiny points are though lol.

Thanks Caela, looks like you were right. As for Destiny Points, I think I saw it being mentioned earlier that you can buy luck with them, or something.

kckolbe,

Thanks for clarifying!

Would anyone be interested in linking characters somehow, whether by family, history or trade (they trained/fought/flew together at some point)?
AA and OO

kckolbe

Quote from: Scribbles on October 18, 2013, 08:02:42 AM
Phaia,

Actually, ignore my earlier offer to link the two as a family, it was really inappropriate to make the suggestion right after Kythia.

kckolbe,

Thanks for clarifying!

Would anyone be interested in linking characters somehow, whether by family, history or trade (they trained/fought/flew together at some point)?

Don't feel bad for offering.  You were proposing a relationship that would have been possible, after all, and has real RP potential with your char being "the good daughter."

Welcome for clarifying.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

RedEve

What are these Destiny Points for.
And yes, I was aware of the other meaning of the acronym.  :P
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

kckolbe

Destiny Points were just added on the second post.  I need to clean up the formatting a bit, but the information is there.  If you have an idea for a new Merit or Flaw, please let me know and there is a good chance I can come up with something.

Also, Phaia, since I didn't say anything earlier, your write-up looks good, but I am not sure how your char compares to others in her profession.  It seems she shot through the ranks quickly, but I suppose youth does help such a career.  Do some Socialators drop levels as they age?

Intro Thread

RedEve

How do we choose our flaw? Just add them to our CS?

kckolbe

Yup.  Under your abilities just add in the following:

Merits: (Name of any merits)
Flaws: (Name of any flaws)
DP: (Calculated by determining starting DP+number of non-required flaws-number of merits)

Intro Thread

RedEve

kckolbe

She would just have 1 DP remaining.  Since the flaw she took was required for her age, she does not get a free DP from it.

Intro Thread

mia h

See if I understand this merit thing right.
Lets say I know that MC is going to make a speech in front of the Quorum of Twelve, so I pick the Charismatic to boost her chances. The next day as the fleet's sole remaining economist MC is delivering Econ 101 on the USS High School and can switch from being Charismatic to being a Gifted Teacher
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

kckolbe

Not quite.  Merits can only be turned in/exchanged at the end of each chapter, which would be the equivalent of a season (though likely half the episodes-ish).  So you could start with Charismatic to improve her chances of being selected President, but then she would be stuck with it through a number of issues which won't make use of it.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

Merits and flaws were kind of easy beef up what she does, and add attractive.

She is a pacifist so reduce all combat skills with a -1D on tests and a childhood disease for some flavor.

Not sure if there is a flaw for -she will not work on any technology that could be used for combat- most social flaws like Reviled don't seem to fit after all having affirmed beliefs tends to be respected in most cases, this would include discovering Cylons if it would end with them harmed. But there would be other scientists who would do that.

kckolbe

Ruby, your character should only have 1 DP remaining as well.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

Fixed. Now just need to fill in some things.

Phaia

Quote from: kckolbe on October 18, 2013, 10:17:41 AM
Also, Phaia, since I didn't say anything earlier, your write-up looks good, but I am not sure how your char compares to others in her profession.  It seems she shot through the ranks quickly, but I suppose youth does help such a career.  Do some Socialators drop levels as they age?

well KC, gave it some thought actually since  this morning. by the lords of kobol what i did was rough. I had been up most of the night with a sick little boy [3 year old] and my mind was fussy...even more so then my normal blonde fuziness.

Zara had youth and patronage to help.I also was gonna change the rank system instead go with brone, silver, gold, platimum and diamond. A normal everyday socialator is a bronze maybe a silver and have by governement rulling a set minimum and maximum price they are paid. gold are the higher end of local/regional trade and platimum bascially run the guild as well as handled more importent cleints.. the diamonds are the rock stars so to speak... as for age...i figure the diamonds look for talent...nurture it along and see if they can handle being a diamond ...you need to be sponsered there unlike the other levels that just take training and meeting certain conditions. I figure probally 80% of all socialator are  bronze or silver... and yes i am sure on some planets they are very much looked down on at least in the lower levels...a diamond would seem to be at times above it.diamands tend to retire in mid fortys often as a mistress of a client though by then they should be very well off

at Zara's level she has a conerceptive implant to keep her from getting pregnunt hope this helps.

scribbles, its okay lets see what kythia thinks...it could work out nicely!

Kythia let me know if what i did works for you ..i can make any alterations needed if you still want to be aunt...i can see it now when word gets to you ..""by the lords...damnit of all the family to survive it HAD to be her!..."

oh kc, i hope you didnt mind me having brought a civilian model raptor ...i can see zara going into several roles...aid to the new president...raptor pilot [she just doesnt have that killer instint to be a viper pilot...a doctrs asst...i kinda think there wont be much need for a socialator but then agian ya never know how the male/female ratio in the fleet breaks down she may end up being in very high demand!!  :)

phaia