Recruiting: high scale Pathfinder, Taldor, aka Byzantium focused

Started by Kolbrandr, June 02, 2013, 03:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerial

I forgot my invisible castle login info... but I agree. It's easier, and with more accountability.

RubySlippers

I'm focusing on role-playing her as a religious leader that can defend herself, not big on min/maxing outside of that goal.

Xerial

Aye, the roleplaying comes first, of this I can agree wholeheartedly.

kckolbe

Damn you guys were busy.  My character is a former member of the Oppara guard and now the leader of a small order devoted to Nethys (one of many orders).

I think that playing each other's cohorts could be fun, but I worry more that it will prevent certain pvp combinations, which scares me, since rivalry is much a major element.

46994   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:22:10, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 14
46993   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:22:03, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 13
46992   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:21:56, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 11
46991   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:21:49, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 16
46990   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:21:39, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 13
46988   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:20:02, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 14
46987   kckolbe   Noone or Anyone   At 2013-06-03 23:19:52, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 10

Under +10 (+9), so rerolling.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

kckolbe

Round 2 came out a lot better.

47001   kckolbe      2013-06-03 23:30:00   At 2013-06-03 23:30:00, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 16
47000   kckolbe      2013-06-03 23:29:53   At 2013-06-03 23:29:53, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 14
46999   kckolbe      2013-06-03 23:29:46   At 2013-06-03 23:29:46, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 16
46998   kckolbe      2013-06-03 23:29:13   At 2013-06-03 23:29:13, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 14
46996   kckolbe      2013-06-03 23:28:51   At 2013-06-03 23:28:51, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 16
46995   kckolbe      2013-06-03 23:28:45   At 2013-06-03 23:28:45, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 5d5k3a3 Result: 15
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

kckolbe

Anywhere from 8-14, depending on well-written you background is and how much world-building it does for Kolbrandr.

Intro Thread

ShadowFox89

I'll plan for 8 for now, then work from there. For now, bed.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

RubySlippers

Quote from: kckolbe on June 04, 2013, 12:03:04 AM
Anywhere from 8-14, depending on well-written you background is and how much world-building it does for Kolbrandr.

That sucks it does matter I can't do a background without the starting level it affects the background.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'm still going through the thread, so I apologize if these have been brought up or answered else where.

I realize that you will not be allowing 3.5 material, would you be willing to reconsider if it's on a case by case basis and has to be WotC material? After all Pathfinder should be run combined with 3.5, so that the shelves of 3.5 books people have do not go to waste.  ;)

For stat generation I would like to suggest a house rule that my irl group uses, and one that I really like and currently is in use in another campaign on the E forums. The take 82 rule: Simply, when added together: all six attributes equal 82. No attribute can be higher than 18 or lower than 3 before racial adjustments(as if you had rolled for them). This allows for a great degree of customization and options. Example stat arrays would be say. 16 16 14 14 12 10, or 18, 18, 16, 10, 10, 10, etc Of course those are only two examples of the many possibilities.

As for characters, would it be possible for me to play two full characters? For my concept, I am thinking mercenary brothers, probably rather well known with their skills in high demand. As high level as possible, 14 rather than 8.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 04, 2013, 12:46:55 AM
That sucks it does matter I can't do a background without the starting level it affects the background.

Crawling back to something resembling coherence now, so, just to say, look at it like this. Can you give me a character background that's more than two paragraphs and has a decent amount of hooks in it for me to play with? Here, have at least a level. You are at that point at minimum a 9th level gestalt character. So you can at least write like you are of some heft character wise. Give me something like some notes on developments you're hoping to see for your character as the game goes on and stuff you otherwise want to work towards? Helps you and me, and thus helps you tangible styles.

But by contrast, lives are busy, people can tire. It's not terrible to only put so much in, it just means being not as developed.

On a similar note, I'm more trying to encourage you to create conceptually (and thus textually), towards shooting for the level range you more picture for yourself. Give me an involved concept and thought out organization I can help you carry through to fully fleshing out as needs be? That will move towards the upper end of the scale.

Another way to look at it is like this. I notice a bit on Ell that submissions for characters can be a bit boom, plunk down submission, drop the mic, done. And that's still possible, but I would otherwise be perfectly fine to handle them here in a more dynamic way, which is to say, to ask as I get something "can you give some more detail to this" or "would you like to go in this direction". So for instance, something like "I was hoping to be higher level than my character currently is, is there something I can do that would take me there", is a valid question to ask.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 04, 2013, 03:14:29 AM
I'm still going through the thread, so I apologize if these have been brought up or answered else where.

I realize that you will not be allowing 3.5 material, would you be willing to reconsider if it's on a case by case basis and has to be WotC material? After all Pathfinder should be run combined with 3.5, so that the shelves of 3.5 books people have do not go to waste.  ;)

For stat generation I would like to suggest a house rule that my irl group uses, and one that I really like and currently is in use in another campaign on the E forums. The take 82 rule: Simply, when added together: all six attributes equal 82. No attribute can be higher than 18 or lower than 3 before racial adjustments(as if you had rolled for them). This allows for a great degree of customization and options. Example stat arrays would be say. 16 16 14 14 12 10, or 18, 18, 16, 10, 10, 10, etc Of course those are only two examples of the many possibilities.

As for characters, would it be possible for me to play two full characters? For my concept, I am thinking mercenary brothers, probably rather well known with their skills in high demand. As high level as possible, 14 rather than 8.

I'd rather everyone play the one main character, is what that is. If you want to play a second character, there's always playing someone's cohort. And with starting already to use the noted stat generation, I'm going to stick with it.

As far as 3.5 stuff.. I'm sorry, but no. The closest I've come is the Lion Blade prestige class, and that was actually by Paizo, for Pathfinder, specifically for the chunk of their setting I'm focusing on, /just/ on the cusp of them releasing Pathfinder as its own deal (and has since had some conversion on the srd). The truth that dares not speak its name is that while certainly the purported theory is all your 3.5 stuff should be PF compatible, Pathfinder did enough reconceptualising and rebalancing that in practice it almost never is. That and having seen personally that otherwise 3.5 stuff + Pathfinder lead to a broken road of nightmares and misery  :P

A mercenary of some stripe is otherwise totally possible though.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Ebb on June 03, 2013, 09:11:04 PM

Questions for Kolbrandr: (Please feel free to put off until tomorrow; first priority is getting well)
1) For hit points, should we roll, or take average at each level, or something else?
2) I'm starting to work on my guy. He's the head of an Academy, which I figure is small potatoes next to a Noble House, but might be on the order of a Trading Company or a branch of a church. Plus there's the whole running a spy ring / information broker. I figure he's not exactly the Shadow Broker -- a couple of rungs down, but known and respected within the city. Rolling it all up to your 8-14 range, I was figuring around level 11. Does that sound reasonable?
3) As far as playing cohorts for other people, I'd see it entirely as a way to foster more roleplaying. I wouldn't expect that the cohort I'd play for someone else would be in any way allied with my main character. In fact, the further apart they are the better.
I also think it would work best if there weren't any direct circles; so if I play the cohort for player B, then they would play the cohort for player C, etc. Not just a back and forth swap, otherwise you're just roleplaying two different pairings against the same other player.
But this is all theoretical. It's enough work to stat up one high level character for now.

1) Max hit points at first, average +1 ever level after, or you can rolls the dice and takes your chances per level, your choice.

2) Sounds potentially entirely reasonable, yeap

3) Yeah, I'm not sensing some total disaster or anything from the notion, just wanted to get ahead of it a bit. It's fine as an idea really.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Xerial on June 03, 2013, 09:19:51 PM
So, I have a bug in my head now... an idea that tickles at me... a different tack. I'm going to work up two characters, and try to write for both. Whichever seems best to me when it's done will be presented as primary, though both will be up for review.

The first is the revolutionary as detailed above.

The second is a Naval Officer who has retired from seagoing service instead to head a unit dedicated to ferreting out illegal magical and religious practice (with a focus on digging out sects of worshipers of Sarenrae). I'm thinking Rogue (Swashbuckler Archetype)/Inquisitor. He would worship either Asmodeus or Abadar, I'm leaning towards the former.

Totally cool as an idea, but Abadar is vastly more likely. Some dude in any official place worshipping the god of Cheliax in Taldor is likely to not be going down. Remember, as an Inquisitor you can totally be a step off from your god's alignment (though of course you can be as a cleric as well, Inquisitor just is easier on that). Aka if you were picturing some kind of LE hardass, you can still go that way under the great civilizer.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Erich Norden on June 03, 2013, 08:49:20 PM
They're two different but similar concepts; a native Taldan who owns a shipping company and a foreign emissary staying in the capital long-term.  If there's too much overlap with another character concept, though, I'll come up with something else.

Neither overlap with anyone that hard at the moment from what I can tell, and both are viable. Coming up with something else is fine too though, you're not under some time limit constraint.

EroticFantasyAuthor

The thing is that the concept is two brothers, which of course I'd like to play both as they'd be a team. It's characters I've played before and would really like to again, and thinking this campaign might be perfect for a version of these characters.

As for 3.5 material, the only thing I wanted to use was a single feat(though I was also interested in Skill Tricks from Complete Scoundrel heh). Which I'll post in hope that you might review it and allow it even with twice saying no. To my knowledge a Pathfinder version does not exist.

FLICK OF THE WRIST Page 150-151 Races of the Wild.
With a single motion, you can draw a light weapon and make a devastating attack.
Prerequisites: Dex 17, Sleight of Hand 5 ranks, Quick Draw. (Pathfinder Prereqs would be 2 ranks in Sleight of Hand rather than 5)

Benefit: If you draw a light weapon and make a melee attack with it in the same round, you catch your opponent flat-footed (for the purpose of this attack only). You can use this feat only once per round and once per opponent during any single combat encounter.

Kolbrandr

I'm giving leadership for free to anyone that wants it, I would note. Consider taking one brother as the cohort of the other?

And again, I really need to stand firm on this with the 3.5 stuff. It's not a door I want to open, for all that I totally love skill tricks, and I actually own stuff like Races of the Wild tangible styles. There's already a lot to manage on my end as is with generous stat generation, higher levels, and doing gestalt really.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I don't mean to push but the feat is a big part of the character's skill base and I'm not sure how I'd replicate it in Pathfinder, that is why I suggested the case by case basis thing, as you wouldn't be opening up the flood gates per se.

A cohort could work, but how exactly would they be built? Normal rules as usual or same level?

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 04, 2013, 03:59:38 AM
I don't mean to push but the feat is a big part of the character's skill base and I'm not sure how I'd replicate it in Pathfinder, that is why I suggested the case by case basis thing, as you wouldn't be opening up the flood gates per se.

A cohort could work, but how exactly would they be built? Normal rules as usual or same level?

Still 2 levels behind, but otherwise same stat generation as you, and gestalt and etc.

The closest way you might replicate it in PF right off the top of my head would be taking quick draw, and then selections from the improved feint tree or the two weapon feint feats.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'm just curious as to why cohorts but not just a second character of the same level for those that wish to play one? The concept has them fairly close in level, pretty much the same level or at the very least with the younger brother one level behind. Cohort might work but I'd much rather just play two full characters, it's not something that's new to me, I'm used to ding it if that's part of the hesitation for allowing it.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 04, 2013, 04:12:35 AM
I'm just curious as to why cohorts but not just a second character of the same level for those that wish to play one? The concept has them fairly close in level, pretty much the same level or at the very least with the younger brother one level behind. Cohort might work but I'd much rather just play two full characters, it's not something that's new to me, I'm used to ding it if that's part of the hesitation for allowing it.

Because it's basically like having a cohort and not otherwise factoring in something like a leadership score total, bonuses and penalties, or anything like that, but even more awesome than a cohort, is what that is.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Just pretend I'm two different players.  ;D

Alrighty though, I'll see what can do. The basic concept is a melee character supported by a ranged character, an assassin duo primarily(but they'd take on any contract really, not just assassinations).

Not sure what I can really do to get level 14 with this concept, I'd want at least level 10 though.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 04, 2013, 04:21:59 AM
Just pretend I'm two different players.  ;D

Alrighty though, I'll see what can do. The basic concept is a melee character supported by a ranged character, an assassin duo primarily(but they'd take on any contract really, not just assassinations).

Not sure what I can really do to get level 14 with this concept, I'd want at least level 10 though.

When I'm reserving higher levels for people more worked into being of some heft in some way in the setting, merc assassins are honestly probably not going to end up 14th at starting, no.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Yeah that's what I figured, would level 10 be more reasonable?

Just can't think of any work to offer at the moment otherwise I'd shoot for 14.

kckolbe

EroticFantasyAuthor:

There is not a nice way to say this, but thus far you are acting like the kind of player this game was specifically set up to avoid.  No means no.  There are other things we all wanted, even from within pathfinder, and we had to do without.  You don't see it bitched about from us because none of us are overly concerned with min maxing.  We are all focusing on concept first, and then world-building and coordination.  You are shitting on the efforts of everyone in this group to play fun, well thought out concepts.

Intro Thread