[Dungeon World] The Slave Pits of Levora

Started by The Great Triangle, December 19, 2012, 12:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

Dungeon World is a fantasy RPG rule system, which focuses on simple, classic gameplay.  I'd like to run a game about a group of adventurers hunting down and facing a group of slavers, possibly getting kidnapped and having to win their freedom. 

The rules for the game can be found at: http://book.dwgazetteer.com/

Here's the setting background:

Times are tough in the Town of Velith.  Located at the eastern edge of civilization, the town has always had to deal with bandits coming over the chainer mountains, and taking their vulnerable population as slaves.  About five years ago, civilization mysteriously went silent, and no scouts that were sent to the west through the forest of fools ever returned.  The town was self sufficient, and began to rely more and more on trade with the halfling village of Shanzar to the north.  For a while, life began to return to normal; then the slaver raids began again.

The orcs come over the Chainer Mountains with even more ferocity and speed than ever before, taking everyone from entire farms before the local militia can even mobilize.  The Dwarven Holds under the far end of the Desert of Dread are under threat, facing an unknown enemy swarming up through their mines.  Even the elves of the Forest of Fools are not immune to the slaver raids, sending representatives to Velith to see what can be done.  Down the disused road towards the ruined temple of the forgotten god, villagers speak in hushed tones of black robed pilgrims passing to and from the temple for some unknown purpose...

(to understand the scale of the map, a day's march covers three hexes, though movement is slower in the hill hexes (the ones with the wavy lines) and the dark colored mountain hexes in the eastern side of the map)

Major Features of the Region:

The Town of Velith: Velith is a peaceful town, surrounded by small, independent farms, but with a thriving walled central city, complete with its own town guard and militia.  Much of the rest of the town is up to your imagination (yes, you!) as the nature of the town can very much be decided by the backstories of the characters, and their adventuring needs.  It most certainly has taverns, and blacksmiths, but many other details are entirely up to the players.  A similar presentation of rumors will cover many other areas.

Shanzar Prarie: The Shanzar Prarie is a vast, open region between Velith and Shanzar.  The roads are dangerous, and often plagued with bandits and slavers, forcing well armed caravans to set out between the two remaining bastions of civilization in the region.  The bandits are rumored to be survivors of the western nations, which lost all contact with Velith around five years ago.  Many believe the bandits to also be the pilgrims on the road to the temple of the forgotten god.  Either way, the sinister fork where the road splits is one of the more dangerous areas in the civilized lands.

Desert of Dread: The Desert of Dread is a vast, inhospitable rocky desert, located behind a number of dry, hilly crags.  There are a number of monsters living there, and seemingly nothing of interest save for a lonely camp far from civilization, where the dwarves occasionally trade goods and information with outsiders.  There are rumors that the ruins of an ancient civilization are located somewhere in the desert.

Hamlet of Shanzar: Shanzar is a peaceful little village, where halflings live in harmony with their surroundings.  The slavers have shown little interest in the halflings, and the halflings have in turn showed little interest in protecting others from the orcs.  There are rumors of a dark pact being somehow involved, and desperate humans sometimes travel to the hamlet in hopes of finding a peaceful escape from their dangerous existence.

Forest of Fools: So named for the foolishness of anyone entering it, the forest of fools is crawling with monsters, as well as an inexplicable civilization of elves who somehow thrive in the forest.   The rest of civilization is probably somewhere west of the forest, but nobody has gotten through it and returned to tell the tale; perhaps the elves know, but they have refused to shed any light on the matter.  There are rumors of gnomes and other mysterious creatures that live in the forest, playing pranks on any travelers foolish enough to enter.

Narbo Hills: Algrenon Narbo was a great adventurer, known for his skill at venturing into the caves that dot the Narbo Hills and defeating the deadly monsters traveling from the eastern wastes within.  Although the mountains can be scaled, and paths found through them, the Chainer mountains would be impassable for practical purposes if it weren't for the vast cave complexes in the Narbo hills.  Most slaver raids and slave caravans pass through the hills, but the militia has had little luck sealing them off, for how maze like they are, and the many entrances and exits in the sides of the mountains.

Cliffs of Narbo: South of the Narbo Hills, the Chainer Mountains simply terminate in abupt, inhospitable cliffs, which are essentially impassable.  Dangerous monsters lurk on the tops of the cliffs, as if standing vigil against any advance of civilization.  An old, oddly well maintained road leads to a temple carved into the side of a cliff.  Whatever god the temple once worshiped has been long forgotten, but people still travel there for some unknown purpose.  Some speculate that the slaves are being taken to the temple to participate in blasphemous rituals to please the gods of evil.

South Chainer Mountains: North of the Desert of Dread, the Chainer Mountains are very difficult to journey through, but twisty mountain passes and deadly beasts still offer a slim ability to pass the area.  A very obscure trail built from a road that runs south of Velith seems to be the ultimate destination of most slave caravans.  Rangers scouting the area have reported yet another cave complex, which some of the older residents of Velith have termed "A good old fashioned dungeon."

North Chainer Mountains:  There is little to say about the mountain range, really; it's what separates civilization from the monsters, and it is dry and inhospitable.  Tradition holds that the far side of the tallest peak of the Chainer Mountains contains a tunnel leading all the way to the underdark, but none have traveled that far east and returned to tell the tale in over two decades.

Eastern Wastes: Beyond the Chainer mountains, there is nothing but badlands, monsters, bones, and more monsters.  The orcish slaver camp is almost certainly located near the Chainer mountains, to the east.  If the orcs still have some use for the slaves, they're likely keeping them chained in the camp.  Ultimately, the mystery of the slavers is what is happening to those they kidnap.  Orcs have no land worthy of having slaves harvest food from, yet the raiders always take the people, and not the grain.  It's almost as if the human population of Velith is being harvested, as a natural resource.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Domino

I'm definitely bookmarking this for now.

I've never played a system game online (just a couple offline), and I'd very much like to try one. I skimmed the rule book and want to spend some more time taking a look through it before I commit.

Dungeon World's approach to Druids makes me very interested!
"A complete stranger has the capacity to alter the life of another irrevocably. This domino effect has the capacity to change
the course of an entire world. That is what life is; a chain reaction of individuals colliding with others and influencing their
lives without realizing it. A decision that seems minuscule to you, may be monumental to the fate of the world."
-J.D. Stroube

About me [OOs]. My stories [Requests]. Availability: Unavailable. Frequency: Erratic.

coolhands

This seems really cool.  I havent used this system before, but i am currently trying to learn it, and am very interested in playing

TheRaven

Bookmarked for later.  ;D

This is the first time I've heard of this system, and it looks pretty cool. As per my usual, I'm gravitating towards the Thief.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

coolhands

I have a question about the system.  It says you choose the advanced moves from level 2-5. Do you get anything from levels 6-10?

Shjade

Have to admit the mix of almost free-form gameplay with stats is boggling me just a little, but I love the sound of the "Bonds" system as a way to keep a group together and progressing plot-wise with tangible game mechanic rewards. Fabulous idea.

Not so sure about the super-preformed character creation, though. Choose a name from a list? Why? O.o

Also wondering why it just says "roll+stat" on so many things. Roll what? The gameplay section said abilities would tell you what you should be rolling, but...they don't, unless I'm just not seeing it.

Quote from: coolhands on December 20, 2012, 11:58:09 AM
I have a question about the system.  It says you choose the advanced moves from level 2-5. Do you get anything from levels 6-10?

Some of the classes show which ones are 6-10, some of them don't mention it. The Ranger page shows 6-10 moves, for instance.

I get the feeling whoever made this site isn't very detail-oriented.

Edit: actually I just saw the note for it on the Fighter page as well. It might just be easy to overlook since it doesn't get its own subtitle to offset it from the move list. *does some checking* Yeah, it's there for all of them. Look for "When you gain a level from 6–10, choose from these moves or the level 2–5 moves." under the 2-5 moves. It'll show up right underneath one of the other abilities with just one blank line between them.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: coolhands on December 20, 2012, 11:58:09 AM

When you advance from levels 6-10, you either choose a move from the levels 2-5 list, or pick from the levels 6-10 list in the second half of your class move list. 

Another option is to choose a Compendium Class, which are classes unique to the campaign you're playing in that support its style of gameplay.  In this campaign, at least at first, the compendium classes will focus on freeing slaves, being bondage prone, and winning fights by sex appeal.

Quote from: Shjade on December 20, 2012, 01:29:26 PM
Not so sure about the super-preformed character creation, though. Choose a name from a list? Why? O.o

Also wondering why it just says "roll+stat" on so many things. Roll what? The gameplay section said abilities would tell you what you should be rolling, but...they don't, unless I'm just not seeing it.

The character creation methods are meant to get people into the game as quickly as possible; you should simply take them as a polite suggestion to save time.  (in apocalypse world, they often served to remind players they could play a transgender character, or reveal the nature of the setting by having all of the example names be gangster nicknames)    If you'd like to pick a name different from the example list, go ahead.  If you'd like to play some alternative race, go ahead, but you'll need to come up with a custom move for your race.  If you want to play a fighter and have your signature weapon be an AK-47, go ahead, but you'll have to answer some questions about where you got it and how you keep it loaded and in good repair.

The only hard and fast rule in character creation, and in the game, is that you are not allowed to overshadow the other player characters, or pick options solely for the purpose of being more powerful than everybody else.  On that note, a dragon would be a perfectly appropriate PC, but a solar exalted or ancient kryptonian superman would not.

Obviously, for your first character, it's recommended to pick from the list of options in the book to save time and energy.  :)

As another note, feel free to invent new locations in the world and concepts about the setting when you're designing your character and/or backstory.  You can't guarantee you'll end up going there unless you set out on a journey yourself, but you can still enlarge the setting.  The edges of the map aren't the end, simply the places where nobody has gone in many years; as the GM, even I want to know what's out there, and answering those questions   is a big part of what Dungeon World is about.

EDIT: Also, to answer everyone's questions about the core mechanic, you roll 2d6+stat modifier. Here are the modifiers:

1-8: -1
9-12: 0
13-15: +1
16-17: +2
18: +3

The target number for every roll is 10; a 6 or lower means the GM decides what happens and you get xp, while a 7-9 is a partial success and either gives less benefit or comes with a cost.

The only exception to adding ability modifiers in the game is calculating hit points, where a character's full, unaltered constitution score is used

Ons and Offs

Shjade

So it's just streamlining for ease of access. Okay, fair enough. I thought the names/physical descriptors might have been flags for GM action or something. "If Ranger's name is Alianore, take -1 on checks against sadness." xD

Well what the heck, I've been on a character creation spree lately, let's see here...

Potential sheet for Fighter (Disregard)

Class: Fighter
Race: Elf
Name: Theswyn
Look: Eager eyes, wild hair, tanned skin, lithe body

Stats:

STR 16   (+2)
DEX 15   (+1)
CON 9   (0)
WIS 12   (0)
INT 8   (-1)
CHA 13   (+1)

HP 19

Moves:
Precision - Flail (Elf racial)
Bend Bars, Lift Gates
Armored

Signature Weapon: Rewalen
Type - Flail
Range - Reach
Enhancements - Versatile (Close); Hooks and Spikes
Look - Ornate

Alignment: Neutral

Gear:
Chainmail, adventuring gear, 2 healing potions, antitoxin, 2 dungeon rations, poultices and herbs

Bonds:
TBD

Something like that then? Or are you hoping for prospective players to just start with the bare bones sheet info and then flesh out the descriptions from there (which I'd want to do for the character and weapon both, I daresay, but did the framework first)?
◕/◕'s

The Great Triangle

That sheet is perfectly fine, though since you're playing an elf, you almost certainly want to flip your strength and dexterity, unless you plan on bending a lot of bars.

(Precision lets you use your dexterity for hacking and slashing)

Ons and Offs

Shjade

Oh is THAT what it does? I was looking around but didn't see anything describing precision's effect. xD

Ah, hadn't looked at the Equipment page yet.

Modified sheet then:

Elf fighter sheet (Theswyn), now with background/introduction

Class: Fighter
Name: Theswyn
Look: Eager eyes, wild hair, tanned skin, lithe body
Detailed look: Theswyn's harlequin green eyes seem that much brighter for the contrast of her brick red bangs drifting across her brow, the bulk of that mane kept curtailed in a simple wrapped bun behind her head. Her sharp features are softened somewhat by the vibrance of color around her tanned face, more so given she is quick to smile in reasonable company. A series of four parallel scars begins just behind her left ear and curves down across the back of her neck to just below her right shoulderblade, their ragged-edge lines lighter pink than the skin around them.

She's built lean and firm from years of travel, hunting, training and practice. Though she prefers to travel light, when combat is expected a full-body suit of chainmail is her preferred defense, all-inclusive and relatively flexible while providing a reasonable measure of protection. As for offense, Rewalen has been Theswyn's weapon of choice for years. The weapon is comprised several parts: a hooked blade attached to a firm handle, essentially a small scythe; a spike-studded metal ball roughly twice the size of one of Theswyn's fists; and a long length of chain that links the previous two piece together. It has proven as useful for climbing and certain other non-combat tasks as for violence.

(Rough visual approximation)
Stats:

STR 9   (0)
DEX 16   (+2)
CON 13   (+1)
WIS 12   (0)
INT 8   (-1)
CHA 15   (+1)

HP 23

Moves:
Precision - Flail (Elf racial)
Bend Bars, Lift Gates
Armored

Signature Weapon: Rewalen (1d10+2)
Type - Flail
Range - Reach, Close
Enhancements - Versatile (Close); Serrated edges (+1 damage)
Look - Ornate

Gear:
Rewalen (wt 2), chainmail (wt 1), adventuring gear (wt 1), 2 healing potions (wt 0), antitoxin (wt 0), 2 dungeon rations (wt 2), poultices and herbs (wt 1)
(Current Load: 7/12 weight)

Bonds:
TBD

Background: Theswyn's got a bad case of wanderlust, to put things simply. Don't get me wrong, the forests are a grand place to live and she's not sick of them by any means; she just feels a need to get out and see other places, meet new people, do things outside her comfort zone. To that end she's departed from familiar territory in favor of getting to know some folk in the open country east of home. Helping people along the way might happen if it suits her or it might not if it's too far out of her way; it's not really a motivation for her either way. Selfish, yes, perhaps, to an extent, but there's something to be said for knowing what you want and going for it, right?

The world of elves is always going to be home for her, there's no comparison. That doesn't mean she always wants to be there. Her interpretation of "vacation" is just a little more exhausting than most.
◕/◕'s

TheRaven

I went ahead and used the same template as Shjade.

Possible Thief
Class: Thief
Race: Human
Name: Bender
Look: Shifty eyes, Messy hair, Dark clothes, Lithe body
Stats:

STR 13 (+1)
DEX 16 (+2)
CON 12 (0)
WIS 8 (-1)
INT 9 (0)
CHA 15 (+1)

HP 18

Moves:
Trap Expert
Tricks of the Trade
Backstab
Flexible Morals
Poisoner (Bloodweed)

Alignment: Chaotic

Gear:
Dungeon rations (5, 1 wt); Leather armor (+1 armor, 1 wt); Bloodweed (3); 10 coins; Dagger (hand, 1 wt); Short sword (close, 1 wt); 3 throwing daggers (thrown, near, 0 wt); Adventuring gear (1 wt)
Carrying 5/10

Bonds:
TBD
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.

Shjade

It's funny how several of the monster entries seem worded for a game like one that would be likely to show up on E. The satyrs in particular. xD

Or maybe that's just me being a perv again. Ah well.

While I'm thinking about it though, what sort of category were you thinking for this game, Triangle? In terms of NC, extreme, human, etc.
◕/◕'s

coolhands

Im hoping to have a character sheet up in the next day or so.  Maby a cleric, any one have a suggestion of what we need

Domino

The hardest part of learning this is the poor structure of the book, haha. But I do like what I've figured out so far.

Here's a preliminary character sheet.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Class: Druid
Name: Sinathel
Look: Wise Eyes, Braided Hair, Practical Leathers

Detailed Look:
Civilization has rarely interested Sinathel, partly because he finds it difficult to understand the walking and talking life, and party because they don't understand him. Or is it her? Sinathel's gender, as well as many other aspects, are often difficult to discern. The elf has spent more time in his life in the shape of non-humanoids than even in his natural skin, as such not even he remembers what he looks like - but that doesn't bother him, his shape is meaningless compared to what is held within it. For Sinathel the goal of his life to gain balance with nature and to better understand the world around him. He has spent seasons running with wolves, struggling upstream with bass, and even just swaying in the breeze as a simple birch.

When he does visit the towns he often barters for what few essentials he may need, offering potent herbs he has gathered in exchange for poultices or books. He's gained a few good relationships with alchemists from this, and they often delight at the sight of his return. If it were not for them, it is no doubt that he would forget how to even speak the common languages. Beyond those few friends, Sinathel avoids most other contact, particular in Human settlements. He finds most Humans are quick to anger and they often mock him for his appearance, though a few have curiously approached with him with flattery. Once he overheard a group of men call him the Sin of the Forests, claiming loudly that he must be out there mating with the bears. Since then he has begun to attempt to apply his shapeshiftings skills to those of the people he meet, in an attempt to better understand them, but he has far less practice on humanoids than he does on the spirits of the wild.

Fair hair to match his fair skin, braided back behind his ears. Eyes of shimmering river blue. Tall and lithe, sharing the graces of his Elven brethren - at least while he's in his Elven born skin. He clothes himself in simple brown leathers and walks with an oaken staff, always peering away as if he sees or hears something that is just out of sight of those around him.

Druid Tell:
Sinathel has spent so much of his life embracing the forms of others that he does not have a singular tell, instead he retains a unique tell based on the last form he has taken. For example, he may retain the mane of a lion while in the form of a bear. At times this effect can appear more than skin deep, such as retaining the musculature of the bear or the litheness of a cat after returning to his humanoid form. (If this doesn't work, let me know!)

Base Damage: d6

Stats:
STR 8 (-1)
DEX 12 (~0)
CON 13 (+1)
WIS 16 (+2)
INT 15 (+1)
CHA 9 (~0)
HP 6+CON: 19

Starting Moves:
(Elf Racial) Attunement - The Great Forest
Born of the Soil - The River Delta
By Nature Sustained
Spirit Tongue
Shapeshifter
Studied Essence

Gear:
Hide armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 weight)
Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 weight)
Load: 6+STR (Current Load: 3/14 weight)

Bonds:
TBD

Planned Advanced Moves: (for my benefit)
2. Thing-Talker (2-5)
3. Elemental Mastery (2-5)
4. Shed (2-5)
5. Balance (2-5)
6. Doppleganger’s Dance (6-10)
7. World-Talker (6-10)
8. Chimera (6-10)
9. Communion of Whispers (2-5)
10. Weather Weaver (6-10)

I'd love some input on the stats to make sure the spread makes sense.

One thing I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding is Hold, I see a lot of examples of gaining it, but not of spending it (besides it being taken away forcefully).

Also I'm about to be away for a while for the winter holidays, so I may not be able to post for about a week or so. I understand if that's a problem. ;)
"A complete stranger has the capacity to alter the life of another irrevocably. This domino effect has the capacity to change
the course of an entire world. That is what life is; a chain reaction of individuals colliding with others and influencing their
lives without realizing it. A decision that seems minuscule to you, may be monumental to the fate of the world."
-J.D. Stroube

About me [OOs]. My stories [Requests]. Availability: Unavailable. Frequency: Erratic.

coolhands

Ok im currently working on my character sheet for a ranger.  I have three questions i wad hoping you could answer about them.

1) how does the ammo work.  A ranger starts with a bundel of arrows (3 ammo).  Is that only 3 arrows?

2) the ranger skill viper's strike needs you to hit with two weapons at once.  Are there specific rules for two weapon fighting?

3) how does the animal companion work.  I understand how you choose its base stats, bit can they attack or act on their own.  Also how does choosing diffrent strenghts, training or weaknesses actually affect them?

I know its alot of questions but im just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics.

The Great Triangle

All the character sheets I've seen so far look quite good, but I do hope that a thief named bender takes multiclass initiate to get the bend bars/lift gates ability!

So here's commentary on specific sheets:

Shjade: A fighter with a strength of 9 has a max load of 12, rather than 21.  You add your modifier rather than your stat.  Other than that, you're pretty well put together, but you should add a note that your flail deals 1d10+2 damage, and possibly notes on the load of your individual items.  (the 2 load that your flail costs, for example) Love the picture though!  At this point you should probably figure out how your elf fits into elven society, and why she's adventuring among humanity.

TheRaven: I really can find nothing wrong with your character sheet; just decide on why your scoundrel is getting involved with the orc slaver raids!

Domino: Your concept and backstory fit in fairly well, but you might want to reconsider being bad at both strength and dexterity, since your character doesn't really have a way of getting out of danger if you get into combat, other than shapeshifting into a bird.  (or mouse, or snake, or bat)  Your tell seems fairly workable, though it'll be up to you to keep it properly described.  Also, you should name the river delta where you learned magic, and describe its position relative to the town of Velith.

As for hold, it's a game concept where your roll gives you "points" that you can spend.  The move that gives you hold explicitly says what you can do with it, and that's the only way you can do anything with the ability.  Hold does not carry over from one move to another.  Here's an example:

Dangerous and Sexy: When you enter battle with an intelligent NPC, you may roll +CHA; on a 10+, hold 2, on a 7-9, hold 1.  You may spend this hold 1 for 1 to cause an intelligent creature momentary hesitation when attacking you, preventing that foe from causing damage.

Quote from: coolhands on December 20, 2012, 08:04:06 PM
Ok im currently working on my character sheet for a ranger.  I have three questions i wad hoping you could answer about them.

1) how does the ammo work.  A ranger starts with a bundel of arrows (3 ammo).  Is that only 3 arrows?

2) the ranger skill viper's strike needs you to hit with two weapons at once.  Are there specific rules for two weapon fighting?

3) how does the animal companion work.  I understand how you choose its base stats, bit can they attack or act on their own.  Also how does choosing diffrent strenghts, training or weaknesses actually affect them?

I know its alot of questions but im just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics.

1) Ammo is only used up if you roll a 7-9 on an attack, and choose to expend ammo to make the attack hit.  You can also lose ammo by missing; basically, ammo is an abstract representationg of the ammo you have.

2) There are no special rules for fighting with two weapons, but without the viper's strike talent, you don't get any special benefit either, aside from possibly getting to combine the tags of your weapons.  (for example, if you had a longsword, which deals +1 damage, and rapier, which is precise, you could theoretically get +1 damage and apply the precise tag, though if you rolled a miss, you would be more likely to suffer a bad result, since the GM would find such behavior to be asking for trouble)

3) Your animal companion doesn't attack independently, but enhances your own attacks.  Let's say you're a ranger with a pet monkey; the monkey has the following profile:

Pet Monkey:

Ferocity +1, Cunning +2, Armor 1, Instinct +1

Strength: Adaptable

Training: Fight Humanoids, Perform, Search

Weakness: Lame

When fighting humanoids, the monkey tends to run around and fling poo or steal small items, distracting enemies and granting its master +1 damage and +1 armor.  Similarly, anyone interfering with the monkey's master in combat suffers a -1 penalty.  The monkey is clever and quick witted, providing a +2 bonus on discern realities rolls involving finding evidence or searching for hidden items.  Additionally, the monkey provides a +2 bonus on parley checks where the leverage is monkey related, or defy danger checks where a dancing monkey is a factor, thanks to its skill at dancing.

Here's the first few compendium classes made available in this campaign:

Battledancer:

For some warriors, charm in court translates into lethality on the battlefield.

When you win a battle in which you defied danger with your charisma at least twice, you may take this move next time you level:

Dangerous and Sexy:
When you enter battle with an intelligent NPC, you may roll +CHA; on a 10+, hold 2, on a 7-9, hold 1.  You may spend this hold 1 for 1 to cause an intelligent creature momentary hesitation when attacking you, preventing that foe from causing damage.

If you have the dangerous and sexy move, the following moves count as class moves for you:

Blade Dance: When in combat, you may always defy danger by rolling +CHA, even in situations where social grace does not apply.  You still cannot use your charisma to defy danger when not involved in a fight.

Chainmail Bikini: When you go into battle naked or nearly naked, you count as having 2 points of armor.  If you're wearing ordinary clothes, you count as having 1 point of armor.  If you're wearing armor, this move has no effect.

Duelist: When you gain hold from your "Dangerous and Sexy" move, you may spend that hold to declare a duel with another NPC; gain +1 ongoing against that NPC as long as your actions are exclusively dedicated to fighting the NPC, and the NPCs actions are not.  (that is, if the NPC is not honorably engaging you in one on one combat)

Psion:

There is a mysterious power moving in the world, the implications of which have not yet been fully explored

When you have a psychic or prophetic vision, you may take the following move the next time you level:

Telepathy: You may communicate with any being in line of sight; additionally, you may perform a deep brain scan on anyone who you are in intimate physical contact with.  Roll+INT; on a 10+, hold 3, on a 7-9, hold 1.  You may spend hold to ask the following questions of your subject:
-What was your lowest moment?
-For what do you crave forgiveness, and to whom?
-What are your secret pains?
-In what ways are you vulnerable to me?

If you have the telepathy move, the following moves count as class moves for you:

Dominate Mind: When you perform a deep brain scan, you may spend your accumulated hold for the following functions:
-The NPC inflicts their damage on a character of choice
-The NPC grants +1 forward to you or one of your allies
-The NPC performs a chosen action, as if you had successfully parleyed with them

Prophetic Visions: When you discern realities, you may roll +INT instead of +WIS

Psionic Charm: You always have the ability to parley with a character who you have performed a deep brain scan on, using the leverage of physical attraction.

Telekinesis: You may inflict your class damage at short range without a weapon; roll a volley action, rolling +INT instead of +DEX.  If you roll 7-9, you may not choose to expend ammo.

Submissive:

Some people are suspiciously prone to peril...

When you mark off XP sufficient to level up while in captivity, you may take the following move the next time you level up:

Bondage Prone: When you roll a 6- in any situation, instead of having the GM choose what happens, you may instead be kidnapped and placed in bondage.  This move may not be used if you are already captured, tied up, restrained, or otherwise in peril.

If you have the bondage prone move, the following moves count as class moves for you:

Eyes on the Door: When in captivity and attempting to escape, roll +CHA; on a 10+, you escape by whatever means you desire.  On a 7-9, the GM tells you how you can escape, and what it will cost.

Glutton for Punishment: When you take damage, you may convert the damage to stun damage to reduce the damage you sustain by half (round up).  This move may not be used if you're already subject to stunning.

Gracious Slave: When you present yourself to someone in a position of power over you, roll +CHA; on a 10+, choose 3; on a 7-9, choose 1:
-This person must own me
-This person must give me a gift
-This person admires me personally
-This person can't bear inflicting harm on me

Abolitionist:

When you free a group of captives from their captor, you may take the following move the next time you level up:

Liberator: When negotiating for the release of captives, you always count as having leverage to parley.  If you roll a 7-9 on your parley roll, the party you are negotiating with will demand you give yourself up into captivity and/or surrender members of your party in exchange for the freedom of the captives.

If you have the liberator move, the following moves count as class moves for you:

I am Sparticus: When you free a group of captives, the captives gather around you and become a small army to protect you.  This provides you with 2 points of armor in addition to your regular armor, and increases the damage you deal by +1d4.  These benefits end when the captives are returned to safety, or injured or killed defending you.

FREEEEEEEDOM!: When rolling to defy danger against a direct threat to your morals or integrity, if you roll a 12+, a single NPC of your choice is persuaded by your commitment to your cause to act in a way that furthers your moral principles.  If you roll a 10+ to defy the danger, a single NPC of the GM's choice is persuaded to join your cause.

Legendary Reputation: Your reputation is such that you always count as having leverage to parley with any intelligent being that considers owning other intelligent beings as property ethically sound.  If you roll a 7-9 on your parley roll, the party you are negotiating with will demand you give yourself up into captivity and/or surrender members of your party in exchange for what you are asking for.

Ons and Offs

Shjade

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 20, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
Shjade: A fighter with a strength of 9 has a max load of 12, rather than 21.  You add your modifier rather than your stat.  Other than that, you're pretty well put together, but you should add a note that your flail deals 1d10+2 damage, and possibly notes on the load of your individual items.  (the 2 load that your flail costs, for example) Love the picture though!  At this point you should probably figure out how your elf fits into elven society, and why she's adventuring among humanity.

Oh. Drat. It said 12+Str so I just assumed it was the stat, not the bonus. My bad! xD Um, where are you finding the damage for the flail? The fighter page says damage is d10, so I assume that's the 1d10, and it gets +1 for serrated edges. What's the other +1 from?

Edit: Made it 1d10+3 when I guessed that your +2 came from the DEX bonus (precision), which with +1 from serrated would be +3.
However, about the load limit. Are you sure about that being only 10+Str bonus as opposed to 10+Str stat? I ask as hp is listed the same way, as #+Con, and it seems like all of us interpreted that as meaning #+Con stat. Otherwise I'd only have 11 HP, Raven would have 6 HP and Domino would have 7 HP and max load of 5. Is that right? I don't know from tabletops, it just seems really low. o.o (I realize the character creation page says hp is #+base constitution score, but it also says that the stat modifiers are used when +Str or +Cha or whatever is indicated for moves. Load isn't a move, it's a stat like HP, which leaves me unsure of whether it's meant to be base score or modifier. x.x)

Aaaaand more questions:

- When you take a multiclass skill, can you only pick the 2-10 skills from other classes or their base moves as well? For instance, could a non-ranger multiclass into having an animal companion? Nevermind, your comment on wanting the Thief to take Bend Bars answers that.

- Can you get moves from more than one of the compendium classes you added in your last post (Battledancer and Submissive, for instance) or can you only unlock one per character?

- Why did you have to go and add compendium classes with such amusing and useful abilities after I went to the trouble of planning out what moves I was planning to take? xD

And now I get to try to think of why she'd ditch her chainmail for nudity if/when she unlocks chainmail bikini...ironic. xD
◕/◕'s

coolhands

Ok here is my ranger.  Detailed description and bonds to come.  Let me know if there is anything wrong or if there is any stats that dont really make sence. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Class: Ranger
Name: Fruster
Look:  Sharp Eyes, Hooded Head,Camouflage Clothes, Sharp Body
Detailed description:

Stats:
STR  15 (+1)
DEX 16 (+2)
CON 12 (0)
WIS 13 (+1)
INT   9  (0)
CHA  8 (-1)

HP: 20
Base damage: d8

Moves:
Elf racial trait
Hunt and track
Called shot
Animal companion
Command

Animal companion: Fenris the black wolf
Ferocity +2, Cunning +1, 1 Armor, Instinct +1
  -    strengths: huge, intimidating
  -    training: fight humanoids, guard
  -    weakness: stubborn

Fenris is a trained guard wolf, which gives his master +2 damage and +1 armor when fighting alongside him. Additionally, enemies who interfere with his master suffer a -1 penalty. The big, scary looking wolf can easily provide leverage to parley, even when armed adventurers alone wouldn't be enough. Trained to guard, he provides a +1 bonus when taking watch, and a +1 bonus when acting as a scout. Unfortunately, Fenris can sometimes wander off without asking, and when he gets an idea into his head, sometimes he needs to be told several times to stop.

Alignment:  Good

Gear:  load: 12
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight), leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight),  Hunter’s bow (near, far, 1 weight), short sword (close, 1 weight), 2 bundles of arrows (6 ammo, 2 weight), Adventuring gear (1 weight).

Bonds:

The Great Triangle

The ranger sheet looks good to me!

As for compendium classes, you can take any number that you meet the qualifications for, and are willing to give up normal class moves to learn; typically, compendium classes provide some useful ability specific to the campaign they come from.

Finally, for damage on the flail, a flail is a +1 damage weapon, nod serrated edges raise the damage for a fighter to 1d10+2

Ons and Offs

RedPhoenix

Is this an okay game for someone with no real system experience? The rules seem kind of complicated but also fun. I'm horrible with numbers though.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Shjade

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 21, 2012, 01:51:10 PM
Finally, for damage on the flail, a flail is a +1 damage weapon, nod serrated edges raise the damage for a fighter to 1d10+2

Aha, gotcha. Changed to 1d10+2 then.

I don't have much in the way of system experience either, Phoenix. This one's considerably simpler than most I've seen. It's just kinda...not so well organized in its presentation. ;p
◕/◕'s

TheRaven

Oh yeah. As far as systems go, looks like Dungeon World is pretty simple. But yes, Shjade is absolutely right, it's very, very disorganized.

RedPhoenix

Right it all seems really simple but it's like... Scattered all over so I keep missing stuff.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Shjade

Yeah, that's easy to do. It seems like the pages you have to at least skim are Playing the Game, Character Creation, Moves, your class page (and probably their spells page if they have spells), and Equipment (that last one being the one I'm usually missing things from when I don't know where a number came from).
◕/◕'s

coolhands

Sweet, i love getting apprived for a new game.  One last question, you provided the example of the monkey animal companion which was very helpful.  So how would it work with my animal companion.

Animal companion: Fenris the black wolf
Ferocity +2, Cunning +1, 1 Armor, Instinct +1
  -    strengths: huge, intimidating
  -    training: fight humanoids, guard
  -    weakness: stubborn

Do i have to come up with uses for his stats or do you tell me how they will relate to in-game play, like your monkey example.