My blog and some supporting evidence...

Started by Vekseid, November 04, 2008, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I know not everyone has read this, apparently its linkness isn't obvious to some:
Have Uou Voted?

But I saw this video, and whether or not you care for Obama, I just thought I'd show it... because although a person who never speaks out has no hope to change anything, one person's encouragement, one person's inspiration, shared, really can shape the course of this Nation.

Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

adventurer

No doubt this is so.

I appreciate Barack very, very much.

This enthusiasm for change and making a big difference:

Its welcomed in Europe very much. Personally I see Barack as real top leader.

Congrats to his victory!
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Moondazed

It's certainly refreshing to have someone with charisma lined up to lead the country :D
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Trieste

Or someone who knows how to speak the language. I would have been happy about that in either case.

Will

Quote from: Trieste on November 05, 2008, 07:57:51 AM
Or someone who knows how to speak the language. I would have been happy about that in either case.

Oh god, so true. >.<  It's going to be nice to have someone that pronounces every syllable of the word "terrorist."  Did Bush's staff actually write speeches for him?  Because it seemed like he was just winging it every time he stepped to the podium.

It really did feel like an intense moment when they announced that Obama had gotten the 270, moreso than I originally thought it would.  I certainly will remember that for the rest of my life.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Moondazed

Command of the English language is definitely a good thing, I'm talking more about how charismatic he is.  There's nothing charismatic about Bush, imo, and I lost a little enamel off my teeth every time he spoke in public.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Moondazed

And to hear nuclear pronounced properly... it's nearly orgasmic *giggle*

Trieste

Quote from: moondazed on November 05, 2008, 08:17:40 AM
Command of the English language is definitely a good thing, I'm talking more about how charismatic he is.  There's nothing charismatic about Bush, imo, and I lost a little enamel off my teeth every time he spoke in public.

I disagree. I was in Canada for the State of the Union address (I think that's which one it was, anyway) in 2002 when he pretty much declared war on terrorism. I remember sitting in my chair, probably looking as horrified as everyone else, and just starting to cry. I cannot describe the despair I felt for my country at that point. I did not like his words. But for words to be that powerful, one needs to be able to deliver them... that and he never came off as an unlikeable guy. Very few people will argue that Dubya doesn't have strong convictions, and most people I know hate the crap out of this war, but think that he truly believes he is doing God's work.

You can't get that without charisma.

Oniya

Mind you, charisma doesn't have to have anything to do with attractiveness.  Ghandi certainly wouldn't have made centerfold of Playgirl, but he was still quite charismatic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

adventurer

Oniya,

absolutely!

Charisma has to do with personality, soul and uniqueness of the person. No matter if male or female.

A.
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Will

I'm not sure it was really charisma, but I may be splitting hairs.  I think he just had the same "my way or the highway" mentality that so many Americans seem to share, and all the people that just want to nuke the Middle East and call it over finally found someone they could rally around.

I guess you can call that charisma, but... I tend to think of charisma as the quality of getting people to follow you, and I really don't think Bush cares if anyone follows him or not.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vekseid

Bush was charismatic - to his base. That's how he got people energized, and that's why McCain picked Sara Palin. You don't become president of the United States without charisma.

What's happened though, is that the Evangelical right is collapsing amongst the nation's youth... they're talking about 4% retention rates. That doesn't bode well for the future of fundamentalism in the US...

There is a hint of irony, considering it was a credit failure depression that was partly responsible for the rise of fundamentalism in the US in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on November 05, 2008, 10:04:05 AM
Bush was charismatic - to his base.

Exactly.  You can be scum to the world outside your followers, but if you've got enough of those, then you've got some force behind you, and your charisma has done its work.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Moondazed

I didn't say that charisma had anything to do with attractiveness?  And I can be moved to tears by the hatred and intolerance someone spews without charisma being present.  Anyway, I didn't mean to pull the thread off topic for a semantic argument of the meaning of the word charismatic :)

Oniya

This morning, our local news was reading and playing local opinions from people who wrote, texted, or called in, and it was amazing how many of them - of every background - openly scoffed at the race card.  I grew up with a mother who believed 'blacks and whites shouldn't interact socially' (and I told her she was nuts), so this was a very concrete change in society's attitude for me.