The Great War of the Gods

Started by OHWceta, March 26, 2012, 09:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHWceta

Put Simply the religion of the God Terra is spreading through the Kephler Empire, and with Achilles Kephler's conquests into other territories, soon the Religion of Terra will be dominant across the known world. But the other Gods aren't happy about this conquering of their kingdoms. Some come to Earth as human warriors, intent on saving their people and lands. Others arrive in God form, taking a much more noticable approach in the war.

You can play as both Gods AND humans, multiple characters per player is encouraged but not required.
Players are allowed to create their own religions, Kingdoms, and Pantheons. Or join the pre-existing ones.

Rules for Playing God: There is no allpowerful supreme God, so no 'godmodding'. All Gods are equal in power over their people (Though some may be much better suited for battle than ones with other powers.) God's are immortal and invincible in their Territory (Each one has a walled castle in Heaven) But are limited to the same rules on Earth visiting another God's Temple. God's incarnated in human form retain their knowledge but their power is reduced to the capacity of the human's body. When they are killed in human form they can rise up as a God form or move to a new reincarnation.

Character creation thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135575.0
Let me know if you have any questions in regard to this RP.
Can't get enough of RPing? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome.
http://roleplayparadiseii.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Qwblue

I love the idea of playing in a world where gods fight for territory and followers, and Terra could totally become a Sauron-style monolithic villain if we needed one. I think we'd be able to get more people involved if there wasn't so much required reading: is there a particular reason you want there to be those specific religions and countries involved?
Also, what role do *you* plan on playing? are you GMing, or do you have a god in mind that you'll be playing?

I'll post my god's bio in the character thread after I've had some time to let the idea simmer.

RubySlippers

Race: Goddess (Demigoddess)

Name: Sothryn

Appearance:

She is five feet, seven inches tall in her form immortal or not. She is flawless and never wears clothing but when dealing with places with children she extends her hair to be a cloak of sorts for modesty.

Symbol: Terra's Symbol but Underneath Adding a Serpent with Six Wings (her ancient one) and as a Statue Appears as a Naked Woman

Element: Silver

Powers: She is not a warrior her powers are usually directed as blessings or curses on mortals that please or offend her. When she must act directly she usually elevates a mortal to a champion with a bit of divine spark to be under a true god but over a mortal and gives them her wishes to be done this is not always physical combat however her servants could use many means to an end. Also she commands some divine servants ,angels, that can do her wishes not many commiting one is for her a major show of force since she has so few.

Territory/ Kingdom: Has a realm in Heaven her home a modest place and in the Underworld a realm for souls to live in sin and vice for eternity, but unlike Terra's paradise its much like the mortal world in a great city. She shares her superiors holy places if others are also welcomed but has dedicated places to her around shrines and alters where she is honored. Was a powerful goddess but accepted Terra as her superior with some of her powers surrendered but not being interested in conflict it solved many issues and is an old servitor. She has her own holy day SOTHRYN'S REST on the Fall Solstice when those who are outcast are to rest, honor Terra and herself with simple rites and those over them or in the community are to be kind to them who have been given more. Slaves and indentured servants freed on that day give a blessing to the master or mistress and brings her favor.

Task: Serves Terra as a servitor dedicated to outcasts she is simply there to give a home to those that worship Terra but are found wanting, to oversee those Terra cannot openly accept but who are faithful in their own fashion and are not wantonly evil. In this role she is worshipped by the poor, slaves and indentured servants, ill of mind, prostitutes, hedonists and lepers. She takes this work seriously to abuse these groups often risks her wrath and to be good to them grants her blessings. But she opposed excesses of sin also its one thing enjoying the bed of many lovers or being a burglar but you rape a woman or if a soldier burn out a home you are crossing her. She opposed wanton dieties that brashly promote destruction and sin without a moral code even if simple.

Pantheon: Attached to Terra as a Demigoddess so is only getting involved because Terra is getting involved, not that she is fond of war. She openly supports Terra and in her teachings supports trying hard to be good and just as Terra demands but if you cannot she is there to grant her mercy as far as allowed. She works closely with other servitors and often blesses the marriage beds, oversees mercies to the poor and good things others do just has her role.

OHWceta

Well, technically I'm GMing, though I do have some player characters I'll bring in to join with the other players.

As for all the countries and nations, I wanted it to be fictional so we dont have to fight with human historical innacuracies, I posted all the info for convenience sake so when they're walking around places like New Kephler city people wont be like "Where's that?" It's not necessarily REQUIRED. More like listed in my post so during the RP if someone gets confused they can look it up.

Welcome to the RP RubySlippers. Hopefully we can get this RP rolling as soon as possible.
Can't get enough of RPing? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome.

Qwblue

Name: Liid, The Creator. In most human languages, 'creator' has a slightly more negative connotation than the english word does.

Appearance: A young, fit, human male with giant feathered wings (Think of an angel without all the holy light, divine message, etc.) When he is among mortals he takes the form of whichever mortals he's visiting.

Symbol: One Makes Many

Element: Clay

Powers: Liid's powers come from his ability to shape the world around him to create life. He is the one that created all life on this planet, both plant and animal, and he continues to create new life now.

Territory: Not all of his creations are beautiful, or even sane. His residences on earth are surrounded by bizzarre, often dangerous creatures, so he usually lives in the deep oceans or dense wildernesses where these 'rough drafts' of life won't harm anyone except those foolish enough to come exploring.

Bio: The most important part of Liid's history was his creation of humankind. It was his most prized creation, a tribute to his lover. Mortals don't know anything about who this lover is or was, and only refer to her by invented names. She may be a long forgotten god, she might be a mortal doomed to grow old and die, she might even be someone involved in the war right now. All that is known by the residents of this world about her is that at some point she broke Liid's heart and he, unable to bear the sight of his tribute to her, tried to destroy all of humankind. It took the effort of the other gods to keep him from completely eradicating his children, but many of his human-killing creations still remain as well as most of the human-offering rituals practiced to gain his favor. For this reason, humans see Liid as a force of evil whose followers are a cult that must be wiped out.

However, Liid has worshippers represented in all species, races and countries, and non-human species have a much more positive view of him. Species like centaurs and wood-elves that have an affinity for his other creations tend to be more likely to swear allegiance to him, as well as countries like Kephler that seek to expand into some of the more dangerous wildernesses. While Liid doesn't often seek to actively help or harm mortals, monsters have a tendency of popping up in areas that he doesn't like and rich new hunting grounds in areas he does.

OHWceta

Approved, now we'll see if we we can get more members into this RP.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do with the World map and religion info? It seems a lot of people are put-off by all that reading. It's not required but an important inclusion in the RP to avoid confusion when I bring up certain places or character names.

Also, please post all bios for approval in the character creation thread.

Qwblue

Quote from: OHWceta on April 06, 2012, 04:44:55 PM
Approved, now we'll see if we we can get more members into this RP.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do with the World map and religion info? It seems a lot of people are put-off by all that reading. It's not required but an important inclusion in the RP to avoid confusion when I bring up certain places or character names.
Have other people complained about the amount of info? It could just be that people just aren't interested, trimmed down world or not. I just mentioned it because I didn't like doing all that reading.

Do you have plans for how the information you posted is going to be relevant? Given what I know right now, you could really cut out everything about the setting and leave it at "There are people and there are Gods, and a lot of them are fighting" and let the players populate the world how they want to (e.g. We know there are angels because RubySlippers told us about them, we know there are vampires because I told you about them). I think some rules about what we can and can't put in the world should be all you need.

Also, please post all bios for approval in the character creation thread.
Done.

OHWceta

As the story pans out, certain Gods asnd certain places will play out key parts in the war.

It also establishes more of the fact that Gods are really created by man than actually being the creators themselves.
The World exists and humans in different regions of different beliefs begin to ponder how they came to be, so Gods were their explanation of how. So the Gods exist and cater mostly to people of those regions. For example, there can be like 5 Sun Gods because, say, of course in the Religion of Terra, He is God of ALL, then the people of Washu have their Sun God, and the Kroyon people have theirs. The Nubians following their oewn Religion have a different Sun God all together.

Of course you have branch nations and other nations aside from what I created myself (Kephler territory is composed of MANY individual nations, Ancient Kroy was as well, the possiblities for players to make their own nation are endless asnd should not be limited to just vwhat I posted, others are welcome to create their own nation. For example, Juno territory and his nation is part of the Kephler Empire but they have their own beliefs. This can also use the Example of Real World Abrahamic Religions, 3 religions sprouted from the same place. So people even of the same nation have different religions.

I hope I'm not just complicating things more.

Qwblue

Quote from: OHWceta on April 07, 2012, 01:55:33 PM
As the story pans out, certain Gods asnd certain places will play out key parts in the war.

It also establishes more of the fact that Gods are really created by man than actually being the creators themselves. The World exists and humans in different regions of different beliefs begin to ponder how they came to be, so Gods were their explanation of how.
Wait, do the gods exist or not?

I hope I'm not just complicating things more.
It's your game, it can be as complicated or simple as you want. I think you just need to be clearer about what you want from the rest of us. I thought you were going for "Everyone pick a character. Okay? 1, 2, 3, FIGHT!". If there are specific plot points that you want covered and certain rules that govern what we can and can't do, you need to state those things explicitly.

OHWceta

Simply put, it was human desire for something greater that created the Gods. The Human faith in the higher being brought them into existence. Therefore When the humans lose faith, the Gods die.

They formed as their followers saw them, their powers, a way for the humans to explain the unexplainable. The Gods actually do not know this.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Aside from Terra which it will be revealed as part of why there's a war in the first place.

Aside from Terra who's the big bad and end goal enemy of the RP, all other Gods are closely equal in power at the start of the RP. Of course deals they make with others, and gaining and losing territory/followers will affect their overall power. (Terra is taking over much of the world, thus gaining more power while the Gods losing territory have become weaker.

Simplified, Gods are immortal and have powers based on what humans believe their tasks are (Ex: Life and death, control of the weather, ect). Gods gain and lose power based on how strong their believers' faith is in them.

I'm actually hoping to have more humans in the RP because they're more relatable to us, the whole "How can we as humans hope to kill a God?" sort of thing. The key really being about the whole "Worship and they're powerful, if humans lose faith, the Gods will die." Based on player choices The Gods can either Die out, Terra will rule supreme, Terra will be destroyed and the Gods will live in harmony once more, or there could be completely different endings.

RubySlippers

This could be interesting my character is happy serving Terra and lost much of her old power when she joined the ambitious goddess, in fact diminished herself from a full goddess to a demigoddess by choice. Likely she saw the writing on the wall and decided best to be at the devil's side than in her path. And it likely spared her mortal followers a horrible fate she didn't want to see them harmed likely why she lost power when Terra bacame the superior of the two.

OHWceta

BTW, Terra is Male.

But yeah, sounds good. There will be a lot of that in the War, Gods making deals with each other to obtain more power, both for and against Terra.

RubySlippers

Terra is your friend, join with Terra and make a better world.  O:)

OrchidofDarkness

Alright sounds interesting. I would like to play  human healer. Do I post my profile here or in privet to you?
Every thing I gave is wasted, and I'm the one whos suffocated.

Qwblue

Quote from: OrchidofDarkness on April 13, 2012, 01:28:50 PM
Alright sounds interesting. I would like to play  human healer. Do I post my profile here or in privet to you?
In the thread the OP linked to.

OHWceta

Yay! More members!  Lol

Yeah, just post in character creation.

OrchidofDarkness

I posted my character in the character creation.

OHWceta

Welcome, hopefully we can attract some more members and get this thing going soon.

OrchidofDarkness

Qwblue

Quote from: OHWceta on April 17, 2012, 02:22:19 PM
Welcome, hopefully we can attract some more members and get this thing going soon.
If you're feeling antsy, we could start with who we've got now (two gods, a human, and whatever you do), and allow other players to join in the story as the conflict escalates beyond just the areas controlled by myself and 'Slippers.

OHWceta

I'm working on what I want for my first post.

it should be up in a few hours.

RubySlippers

I don't make war, I promote my little domain in the game if others get in my way - oh well.  ;)

rachelongaku

Haven't been here in years but I'm in need of a good distraction!

OrchidofDarkness

I might add another character that I will play later on once I get the swing of what is going  on.

OHWceta

New characters can join in at any time