Touhou: Like it, Love it, or Addicted to It?

Started by Gensokian, August 17, 2010, 04:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gensokian

The Touhou Project: made by one lone man, loved by the world. Who would've thought that a game with flying magic little girls would be so popular? It is, though, and I am addicted to it, even though I suck at danmaku...T_T

So, discuss, debate, or talk about the fandom of Touhou. I wish to know how many of you are Touhou Lunatics as well. =3

Kunoichi

I'm not a lunatic, but I know enough to get some of the little in-jokes, despite having never played a game...

Gensokian

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 17, 2010, 04:42:11 PM
I'm not a lunatic, but I know enough to get some of the little in-jokes, despite having never played a game...

Oh, you should at least try at least one game out. I admit, I'm not that great, but it's so addicting, I almost can't stop playing. Try Perfect Cherry Blossom; it seems the easiest for me.

Nyarly

I pretty interested in it since a while and saw a lot of fanart. While I would be interested in the actual games, I'd suck at them, as I'm not very good at SHMUPs. How much of a chance would I have with a danmaku...

But the fandom stuff in itself is pretty great in my opinion. Helps that the characters are interesting, nearly all female and I'm a yuri fan. In fact, I think most of the fanart, I have, is yuri. And most of it is Marisa/Reimu.

Koyume

I don't know if I could call myself a lunatic exactly, but it has become  one of the loves of my life. So far I've played 6, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, through 9.5, Shoot the Bullet, including 7.5, which was the first Touhou fighting game. Touhou was my first encounter with danmaku, and it really is addicting, although of all the ones I've played I still havn't gotten my first 1cc, well, I've gotten a couple on easy.... I'll second Perfect Cherry Blossom as a good one to start with, it's very pretty and one of the easiest to get extra lives in, but personally I found the difficulty level of Phantasmagoria of Flower View to my liking as well.

As a side question directed at Gensokian and others who are familiar with the series: who would you say are your favorite characters? Just choosing three or four... mmm, I'd have to say mine are Remilia Scarlet, the vampire who "always leaves some food on the plate", Marisa Kirisame, the "ordinary" black magician, who's antics and conversations with bosses make me grin, Cirno, the clueless, tomboyish ice-fairy, and Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, the judge of the afterlife who berates all the other characters with well intentioned lectures on how they should change.

Gensokian

Quote from: Nyarly on August 18, 2010, 02:11:47 AM
I pretty interested in it since a while and saw a lot of fanart. While I would be interested in the actual games, I'd suck at them, as I'm not very good at SHMUPs. How much of a chance would I have with a danmaku...

But the fandom stuff in itself is pretty great in my opinion. Helps that the characters are interesting, nearly all female and I'm a yuri fan. In fact, I think most of the fanart, I have, is yuri. And most of it is Marisa/Reimu.

Nah, I prefer Marisa/Alice. Still, yuri isn't my thing, anyway, so it don't matter to me. And I'm not that great at the games, either, but it's still fun.

Quote from: Koyume on August 18, 2010, 11:51:50 AM
I don't know if I could call myself a lunatic exactly, but it has become  one of the loves of my life. So far I've played 6, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, through 9.5, Shoot the Bullet, including 7.5, which was the first Touhou fighting game. Touhou was my first encounter with danmaku, and it really is addicting, although of all the ones I've played I still havn't gotten my first 1cc, well, I've gotten a couple on easy.... I'll second Perfect Cherry Blossom as a good one to start with, it's very pretty and one of the easiest to get extra lives in, but personally I found the difficulty level of Phantasmagoria of Flower View to my liking as well.

As a side question directed at Gensokian and others who are familiar with the series: who would you say are your favorite characters? Just choosing three or four... mmm, I'd have to say mine are Remilia Scarlet, the vampire who "always leaves some food on the plate", Marisa Kirisame, the "ordinary" black magician, who's antics and conversations with bosses make me grin, Cirno, the clueless, tomboyish ice-fairy, and Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, the judge of the afterlife who berates all the other characters with well intentioned lectures on how they should change.

I haven't had a 1cc, either...still, I've gotten close in PCB.
And my favorite characters? Man, where do I start? I guess I like Cirno, 'cause she's the strongest~. I also like Ran. Suppa tenko, FTW! =3 I love all of them, really. Except the Prismrivers, they can die. *cries man tears*

Dunnuck

you can slay me for this, but all I have seen of it is hentai here and there. And they are all busty n stuff. But its kinda weird so I dont really go looking for it, mostly just see it when passin thru sites o.o

Nyarly

The "busty" stuff is pure fanon, the girls aren't that endowed in the games. Although the reason is probably that ZUN's (the lone creator of Touhou) art is notoriously bad.

Wolfy

Gensokian

Quote from: Dunnuck on August 26, 2010, 05:58:28 AM
you can slay me for this, but all I have seen of it is hentai here and there. And they are all busty n stuff. But its kinda weird so I dont really go looking for it, mostly just see it when passin thru sites o.o

Well, there are some women in Touhou with breasts, but most are flat. There are just those out there who like to draw their favorite characters with big ol' watermelons.

Quote from: Nyarly on August 26, 2010, 09:50:29 AM
Although the reason is probably that ZUN's (the lone creator of Touhou) art is notoriously bad.

Well, he draws better than me. And think about it: with all the programming, designing, story-building, composing, and everything else he must do, does ZUN really have time for art classes? =3

Quote from: Wolfy on August 26, 2010, 11:14:04 AM
Touhou Soccer 2- Mima's Twilight Spark

I think this speaks for itself. o3o

Marisa, eat your heart out. o.o

Nyarly

Quote from: Gensokian on August 26, 2010, 03:18:15 PM
Well, he draws better than me. And think about it: with all the programming, designing, story-building, composing, and everything else he must do, does ZUN really have time for art classes? =3
I only said that his drawings don't have a good reputation. When saw his art for the first time, I really wondered why it is so infamous. True, his pictures aren't masterpieces, but it isn' t that bad. I just don't understand why ZUN-art-bashing is so memetic like Reimu's delicious armpits.

Gensokian

Well, when you look at modern video games, you see all this great art, and ZUN just isn't up to par. Still, you have to respect the man for doing as well as he has for going at it alone.

And don't you dare mock the deliciousness of the armpit. D:

Nyarly

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed that he made all that alone by himself. Also I would never mock Reimu's armpits, after all Touhou gave me a slight armpit fetish. Especially with that yummy picture of Marisa and Alice licking them.

Gensokian

The three turn-on's of the Touhou fandom:

1. The armpit

2. The flat chest

3. The graze points.

=3

Wriggle Nightbug

I've never liked Touhou. Ever.

<.<

Can someone spot the lie?
Just because I'm the King of Insects doesn't mean I'm a guy, silly. If Freddy Mercury can be Queen, I can be King.

Nyarly

Wriggle Nightbug

Quote from: Nyarly on August 26, 2010, 09:50:29 AM
The "busty" stuff is pure fanon, the girls aren't that endowed in the games. Although the reason is probably that ZUN's (the lone creator of Touhou) art is notoriously bad.

This is mostly true, but a few characters actually have decent busts in canon. I think Yukari and Mima were two examples.

Though why they make characters like, say, Cirno and Reimu busty is beyond me.
Just because I'm the King of Insects doesn't mean I'm a guy, silly. If Freddy Mercury can be Queen, I can be King.

Gensokian

Oh. My. Gosh. *bows* The Queen of Insects~!

Wriggle Nightbug

That's KING of Insects, to you! -huffs and crosses her arms, cape flapping majestically in the night air-

Gensokian

Wriggle Nightbug

-leg twitches a little, pondering a Wriggle Kick, but clears her throat-

See my signature.

Wriggle Nightbug

Quote from: Koyume on August 18, 2010, 11:51:50 AM

Suika Ibuki is hands down my absolute favorite.

As is Wriggle Nightbug.

As for a third? Its a four-way tie between Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Utsuho Reiji, Parsee Mizuhashi, and Cirno

Gensokian

OAO Wriggle is smart!

Still an easy Stage 1 boss for IN, though~.  ;)

Koyume

Quote from: Wriggle Nightbug on August 26, 2010, 05:04:52 PM

Suika Ibuki is hands down my absolute favorite.

As is Wriggle Nightbug.

As for a third? Its a four-way tie between Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Utsuho Reiji, Parsee Mizuhashi, and Cirno

Hoho! Another Shikieiki fan, kind've. It's too bad she gets the reputation of being such a cold and arbitrary judge (from IOSYS' Danzai Yamaxanadu for example), when in Phantasmagoria of Flower View she comes off to me as seeming like she genuinely cares about everybody she encounters; hence all the lecturing and the tough-love arsekicking she gives you(over and over again in my case).

Wriggle Nightbug

THe most important thing to remember is that anybody who isn't Marisa, Reimu, or Sanae is a youkai, spirit, or god and thus while they appear to be caring or nice, they really aren't. If they appear to be caring, its because they're supposed to look that way, not because they -choose- to look that way. Its kinda like how fire burns because its supposed to burn.

If you ever read the Perfect Memento, you find out that a lot of these youkai and whatnot are really horrific creatures.

At the end of the day, everyone eats humans without a care for it. Except -maybe- Suika and Yuugi.