News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Warmachine / Hordes / Iron Kingdoms

Started by Dhi, August 21, 2014, 06:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Warmachine and Hordes are miniature wargames from Privateer Press. They take place in a steampunk world of conflict and intrigue where specialized war wizards take control of huge mechanical puppets or wild beasts as proxies.

The world of Immoren sparked a revolution in the d20 gaming world with its debut monster book, Monsternomicon, and went on to detail the Iron Kingdoms in a whole range of books for tabletop play. The IKRPG has made a comeback in the decade since with an in-house system, and on September 24th they're due to revisit their flagship product, the Monsternomicon, the lovingly crafted monster book which launched an empire.

Earlier this month, Warmachine made its first foray into video games with the release of Kickstarter-backed Warmachine Tactics, a PC strategy game featuring the armies and characters of Warmachine. I have a copy! Once I figure out how everything works, maybe we can play together on Steam.

I know we have some Iron Kingdoms fans here. I've seen a few attempts to turn the setting into a group game, and each time I hold out hope to see one of my favorite settings brought to life, but so far none have manifested. Maybe we're just having trouble finding one another. So, let's hear from you! Are you a fan of the Iron Kingdoms? If you play, what's your faction?

Revelation

This thread! It was made for me, and well, other people! but me as well.

I play Hordes, and the Legion of Everblight faction at that. I personally preferred the Fury system of Hordes, as I feel it just becomes a bit more intuitive and its warbeasts feel far more flexible than Jacks. It's a lot easier to load a warbeast that you know you'll be losing next turn on fury to go full ham and clobber something. Everblight is also fun, given how fast and versatile our beasts our between ignoring terrain or having flight! however, we crumple fast in engagements.

I have to admit i'm not as familiar with the iron kingdoms fluff as I could be. In my defense, I tend to enjoy reading fluff and history about my faction of choice... Usually. Everblight is a bit different since I kind of feel that fluff wise they are a bit one note. Really hard to sympathize or really root for them when Everblights goal is to eat the world and his daddy.

HairyHeretic

I play Cryx, normally running Goreshade and a ghost army (bane thralls and bane knights) under 1st edition. I'm still finding my feet in 2nd, but normally it's still Goreshade and plenty of Banes :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chris Brady

I love IF.  I still have the original three D20 adventures, the WitchFire trilogy in the three separate booklets.  I played a Duelist/Gunmage in a demo a while back.  I love, love, love the setting.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Pumpkin Seeds

Have always been interested in this one but just never committed the money.

Frelance

I do not know as much about the setting as I should but my real interest was cause by the iron kingdom rpg game when they released the iron kingdoms book last year. I have not been able to find a group to get a game going so my only experience with the system was playing a small scenario published as a demo. I really enjoyed it and I keep watching these videos whenever I get a craving to get to know more about the setting.

Guts N Gears: Privateer Press Doug Seacat, on the Iron Kingdoms

Part one
Part two

These videos and the information inside them really keep my interest sparked for the setting.
Evolution is an arms race

Dhi

Miniature gaming is a lot of money. It's hard to just jump into, especially if you don't know anybody who's playing and can't tell whether the game is really for you. But, gaming stores will often have demos where you can try out the game and meet other people who're interested in it.

I like to paint miniatures, and the way that I got into things was buy falling in love with some of the Warmachine sculpts. At the time I was painting a lot of Reaper miniatures, which are very cool but awful static; Warmachine's sculpts are full of energy and really pop. The first set I bought were the battle nuns, the Daughters of the Flame:

So cool.

And I just kept buying and painting the ones I thought were interesting, until I had so many that it seemed foolish not to at least learn how to play the game!

I like the Khador faction because of the Russian feel, the blocky train-like warjacks, and the female warcasters as major characters- one of the biggest reasons I could never get into Warhammer/40K is that there are only a few female models across the entire range. That's really too bad, because I find GW's plastics a joy to paint.

Most of my collection lies in Circle Orboros though, on the Hordes side. I like the faction's strengths, and their classic warbeasts like griffons, werewolves, and golems. I'm currently working on Morvahna the Dawnshadow, who is a bear to assemble.

(I ship Morvahna/Kaya)

Frelance

Those are really cool. I started buying some Tau for 40k years ago but it was to expensive for me to continue.

I just purchased Warmachine Tactics a few days ago but I am just getting a chance to try it out now. It looks like its played the same way as the Miniature game so I am hoping I can get used to the game this way and then start playing with the miniatures.
Evolution is an arms race

Kazyth

Aaaaah yes, Warmachine and Hordes, plus the Iron Kingdoms RPG.

I've played them all in my time, though all I currently own at this point is my fabulous Pewter Legion of Everblight.  Because I never got around to actually painting them, just put them together when they were first released and played the crap out of it.  I have to agree that I find Warbeasts to be much more fun and flexible, though a tad squishier when run up against Warjacks.

I am also an avid Bloodbowl player.  Go Chaos Dwarves!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

HairyHeretic

Bloodbowl is a lot of fun. The computer game version is pretty good too ... I'm looking forwards to see what they do with number 2, but given I play the first one turn based like the tabletop game, I'm not sure what I'll get out of it :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.