Can we get a list of active and non active RPs in this forum?

Started by breaker, December 24, 2009, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breaker

Pretty much what the topic says, can we get a stickied list of what RPs are active, which ones are on hiatus [short of players, GMs, etc.], and which ones are dead? [some of them looked like fun but appear to be DOA or just not running]

Hahah. The logistics of that on a site of this size are incredible. You'd probably need a whole new moderator set just for that.

Short form: Probably not.

Callie Del Noire

And the moderator would always be busy. Do you do it daily/weekly/monthly?

Caeli

Breaker, I would just PM the 'GMs' or one of the players in the roleplays you are interested in and simply asking. :P If it's no longer running, then you'll know you should go looking for another roleplay.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

kylie

I sort of understand the frustration, though.  Some are using Wanted for threads that are more OOC talk than Wanted.  That can have the effect of bumping those games often, whether or not they are not actually looking for additional players. 

I don't know how practical it would be to push all OOC for technically filled games into other areas.  If that were more or less feasible, it would clear things up somewhat.  There might still be chatter between newer players of games still gathering people, though -- before they have drawn up character sheets or made a separate OOC place, etc.

Caeli

Such a subforum is really not all that necessary, and creates more work where none is really needed - a few clicks and a skim through a thread can easily tell you if a game is open or not. If this is too much work, there are several other ways you can find roleplays, such as making your own game, scanning ONs and OFFs and PMing other members, or chatting about ideas in the IRC/shoutbox.

Most games, once they start, do get their own OOC threads and will slowly sink down the page anyway.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haibane

Yes, it slightly bothers me when a GM uses the players wanted thread as an OOC chat thread because it keeps bumping it up over more recent and more deserving requests. When I'm in a group where the GM suggests that I do make a point of politely suggesting they make an OOC thread elsewhere.

@ Breaker: I think you should look at the last post date. I would use about a month, maybe 3 weeks as the cut-off point. Anything that's not been posted in more recently than that is more than likely dead or fully taken, however if you see a game thread even a couple of months old and it really appeals to you there is certainly no harm in sending the person who proposed the game a PM and enquiring if it is still running, and if its not would they be interested in doing it again or something similar.

Vandren

I was under the impression that OOC threads for games should not be in this section, period.  Rather, that they should be in the section that the IC threads of the game are in.  That is, I thought, the reason that Small Games get two threads per player plus an OOC thread.

(And, yes, it should be pretty obvious when a thread/game wanted is dead on this board, the 3-4 weeks without the potential GM posting suggested by Haibane's a pretty good indicator)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

kylie

Quote from: Vandren on December 24, 2009, 06:24:26 PM
I was under the impression that OOC threads for games should not be in this section, period.  Rather, that they should be in the section that the IC threads of the game are in.  That is, I thought, the reason that Small Games get two threads per player plus an OOC thread.
I'm actually under the same impression, although I haven't been as good as say Haibane apparently, to pursue it much.  And that is actually where I meant by "push to other areas."  I didn't imagine creating another subboard.  Problem remains that it would take monitoring to actually fuss about it.  Along with that, it would involve an extra look to distinguish what is OOC from what is just prospective people asking questions about game ideas -- which I do feel should be possible under Wanted.  I guess that could get pushed to join the OOC threads if people wanted to work at it.  But as a gut feeling, I don't think it's too common this point... 

I don't have an especially strong opinion about the whole thing (at least, so long as there aren't 10-20 OOC threads constantly updating in each Wanted ::) ).  Just batting it around.  Reopening multiple threads that turn out to just be OOC updates does kinda frustrate me, but I don't know that I would expect any systemic staff focus on it.     

Haibane

It has only happened twice with me. And twice I made the polite suggestion which fixed the issue. Perhaps its done on other sites and the members involved were new here? Either way, I agree OOC chat should not happen on this forum and generally it does not. I wasn't suggesting its endemic at all! *hugs everyone*

In fact this very thread is in the wrong location I feel, and might go to the 'help and suggestions' forum?

LIAR

I can say from experience that this would be a project that envolved very much time, very much effort, and very little sucess. Sure, it'd be great at first, but people will not come back to say their thread is dead. Eventually you'll have a very long list of threads that may or may not be active and you'd spend a good chunk of your free time updating, editing, and looking to see what's right and wrong with the list.

rick957

One opinion and a suggestion ...

I agree with what everyone else has said about the adequacy of the current setup.  And I wouldn't want to put the wonderful Elliquiy staffpeople to any additional trouble.

However, I would suggest the following might provide a useful summary.  What if there was a thread containing
1) a list of active or starting-up group games that are currently seeking additional players, with a "last updated" date for each
2) a list of active group games that are not currently seeking players, with a "last updated" date for each

GMs could periodically post to the thread to indicate the current status of their games.  A staff person would only have to update the lists with recent changes.

The "last updated" dates would make it obvious how recent and reliable the information was.

Just a thought.  :)

Haibane

Its a good suggestion Rick, and in a perfect world it would be very useful, but such an arrangement requires every GM to update every one of their threads, every time there's a status change. Given that requirement I know the system would fall over within a few weeks if not sooner. People leave the site, people get banned, people end games acrimoniously and won't want to update, people have busy real lives, people go 'off' Elliquiy only to come back weeks or months later. All I can see such a thing doing in this, our imperfect world, is making more work for the admins and an inaccurate system is worse than no system at all.

All in my humble opinion, of course.

rick957

Your points are well-taken, Haibane.  :)  Mostly I just thought it could be useful to have a single-page summary that included all the games currently seeking players. 

As to the lack of cooperation from GMs, I'm sure some or even most wouldn't bother to provide regular updates, but that would be apparent if the "last updated" date next to their game was quite old.  GMs like myself would be motivated to provide updates, because it could help us attract new players to our games.

If the "last updated" date next to the game was older than a few months, the game could be removed from the list.  I'll bet the list would be pretty short, for that reason, but that would also make it more useful to people seeking games.

But I certainly agree that if it's too much trouble for the admins, then it's not necessary.

Haibane

Quote from: rick957 on December 25, 2009, 05:59:33 PMAs to the lack of cooperation from GMs, I'm sure some or even most wouldn't bother to provide regular updates, but that would be apparent if the "last updated" date next to their game was quite old.
Which is almost exactly what this forum already provides *hugs*

breaker

ah. well... I guess I'll just check more threads and hope i hit one i want to play in then XD

Will

The effort necessary for these suggested setups sounds like more effort than it takes me to find out whether a game is active or not, all by myself.  It's really not that hard.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Haibane

Breaker, as a consolation, I too found the site quite bewildering when I joined but you'll get to be more at home soon and get to have a feel for which games are active and which are not, I promise *hugs*

HairyHeretic

Easiest thing would be to PM the person who kicked off the thread, or to check if they included a link to the game thread when they set that up. Checking the last post in that should give you a reasonable idea if a game is still running or not.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.