News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Sci-fi ship crew ponder-topic

Started by ChaoticSky, December 24, 2009, 08:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaoticSky

ello everybody! i made this topic to ponder a couple ideas ive had for a space-ship crew based RP, and see which would be most likely to succeed.

my initial idea is of set in the Warhammer 40k -verse. a Rogue Trader.

for the uninitiated. warhammer 40k is a GRIMDARK sci fi setting that deals with the far, far future, in or around the 40,000 millennium, in which the entire galaxy is pretty much in a constant state of war between massive evil superpowers, none of which are a clear 'good guy'. where the *NICEST* faction of the lot has nazi-esque concentration camps and practices large scale sterilization of malcontents, and no, that faction is very definitely not us. humans are the Imperium of Man, and its the biggest, darkest, tyrannical empire you could imagine, infact, its probably worse than that. but among that bloated empire are freelance space ship captains, known as rogue traders, who posses their own ship, and a age-old unquestionable mandate to do as they please (within limits, obviously).

i would be the captain, obviously ^^, and i need a group of players to take the roles of my elite, my retinue, my bridge crew. and despite the setting, i would like to create abit of a lighter atmosphere onboard the ship.

keep in mind that this is a purely discussion topic, and ill be making a offical OOC with all the relevant information, so those who are unfamiliar with the setting can join as well (though, you will have some reading to do).

so, discuss; thoughts on the general idea?

-i was thinking possibly of EX, due to the possibilities that are involved with the setting (say, violent alien rape, or worse). now, im not saying well have that as a focus, but id like to keep as wide a range of possibilities open as possible, and id far rather go EX and not need to, than have to limit or cut off a promising plot path because we are edging out of our board-limits ^^. i certainly wont force such a situation on anyone, but players who join should knowledge the possibility of Ex material, and be willing to overlook things that dont tickle their personal tastes that may be done by other players.
discuss:

-i am very much hoping for a certain level of competence, three-liners are not welcome (four lines, absolute minimum), 3rd person, good grammer, im not a nazi... mostly *cackles*, but if you cannot maintain that level of literacy... it would be remiss of me to allow you to lower the quality of everyone else's experience.
discuss:

-id preferr to keep my group relatively even in terms of genders, and i wont allow more than a 1 person difference either way. for example, if 5 men joined, and 7 women; i would allow the men, and 6 of the women, the 7th being held untill another man joined. lesbians count as men, gays count as women, bi people are neither (:P since they got both ways, they would imbalance the genders, by preference). ill have a total of 12 people, max, including me, so 11 others. 6 people minimum
discuss:

and feel free to make any suggestions that come to you, and ill consider including them in the final version of the idea. once its purpose is complete, i will be locking this topic in favour of the OOC.

if this idea finds no fertile soil, ill think of something else.

AthenaNude

Sounds pretty wild!  I have NO knowledge of the game system but I like your idea and would be more than happy to play a tough, buff, gruff, bisexual female space marine who gets in way over her head and ends up getting savagely gangraped into oblivion by dozens of huge insectoid horrors with sexual organs that could do more damage than most medieval weapons!

Beats watching Seinfeld.  :P

I'm in.  :-)

Xenophile

Damn, if it hadn't been a Group RP, I'd be so in.

@AthenaNude - Sounds hawt, and it definitely beats watching (or suffer, as I like to it) Sienfeld ;)
Too bad the actual "muhreens" are genetically engineered psychotics that have the heights of basketball players and the bulk of a beefed up Mr. Universe  :-)
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

Tsakara

this could be interesting, I don't really know much abouyt WH40k other then orkz is green and green is best, and da red wuns go fasta, but it could be fun.

ChaoticSky

@Athena: there are no female space marines :P sororitas are buff hardcase female warriors in power armour and use a similar weapon loadout to SMs though. but youd have to think up a reason for her to be in a rogue trader ship to begin with.

and i wont be using a 'system' with rolls and stats and such. this will be freeform.... but if you get out of line ill just blow you out the nearest airlock, i am the captain after all :P

@xeno: join uuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssssssssssss

@tsakara: dont worry, i will make a excessive effort to make sure all the information is available in the OOC, and anything i decide to introduce later will be detailed by my character IC.

Xenophile

Hmm. Maybe I could use the character I am using in my gaming group as inspi-No! No! I won't join you! You and your vile group roleplaying!

It is sick, and despicable and..! And...

I'm too lazy to keep track with several people at once :(

But if you wouldn't mind, I wouldn't mind throwing my piece of mind and ideas at your face.
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

Elven Sex Goddess

This caught my interest,  I have a few question.   I seen what you said in response to Athenanude over the female space marine, i.e  a sister of battle in power armor.   So then my question is;   A initial concept of a Dark Eldar Wych (female)   As it is noted that the Dark Eldar are pirates of space and often hire out as mercenaries.  Which gives plausible explanation and reason for such to be part of the crew of a rogue trader ship.   

ChaoticSky

yes that would be acceptable ESG, the idea isnt set in stone yet, hense this topic. my original idea, was to be a relatively loyal (to the Imperium) rogue trader, but Rogue Traders are certainly known to lias with xenos, even taking them as crew. this is especially true for the older families with a Charter (and therefore can only be challenged by the Inquisition its self), new traders get Letters of Marque which are alot more confining.

so yes, if you wanted to play a wych, thats alright with me. gives me a excuse to be even more awsome  ;D

(though, you will have to come up with a reason for her to be there. DE dont have a very high opinion of humans)

Soren

I like the idea. What races are you currently accepting?

Transgirlenstein

I dont know much about the setting but I might be interested
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Tsakara

Quote from: Soren on December 24, 2009, 10:29:49 PM

what races are there?
all I know about are humans, space elves, and space orkz, and the Chaos, which is like the scourge but less undead.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Soren on December 24, 2009, 10:29:49 PM
Eldar (space elves), Dark Eldar(space drow), Tau (space communists), Kroot (space bird-people), and Imperial (all factions, except the inquisition) of course.

no nids, no necrons, no orks, no mutants, no chaos of any sort (gotta draw the line somewhere :P), and none of those other weird little races with no army.

and NO SQUATS!

(ill put up detailed racial info in the OOC, worry not ^^)

and welcome trans ^^

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Darkling on December 24, 2009, 09:54:03 PM
yes that would be acceptable ESG, the idea isnt set in stone yet, hense this topic. my original idea, was to be a relatively loyal (to the Imperium) rogue trader, but Rogue Traders are certainly known to lias with xenos, even taking them as crew. this is especially true for the older families with a Charter (and therefore can only be challenged by the Inquisition its self), new traders get Letters of Marque which are alot more confining.

so yes, if you wanted to play a wych, thats alright with me. gives me a excuse to be even more awsome  ;D

(though, you will have to come up with a reason for her to be there. DE dont have a very high opinion of humans)

True on the Dark Eldar views of other races.   So a good plausible reason for the ship having such aboard.   Well the Imperium is large expense yet a small part of known space.    Ruthless as they are,  Dark Eldar are pirates and slavers.  Fanatical not to degree of they will kill themselves if fail.  So with that supposition.   She could have basically gotten caught.  Separated from her comrades on a raid.    So in turn she is now the slave.   To how she comes aboard the ship, well that can be as easily as the captain or another crew member won her in a game at a off port.     Now since they are not fanatical in seeking death,  being a Wych she be fanatical with combat, thus gives credence to she had been used as a gladiator on one of the back worlds of the Imperium.   

So why hasn't she escape.  Well to escape in the Imperium would mean her death.   Where would she go,  hide out in the boondocks.  She is not omnipotent, she can't call up a rescue party and beside it was her sorry ass that got herself caught so its her problem.     An then the Dark Eldar are not organized in one real collective.   Varies almost like pirate fiefdoms of archons  dot the landscape of space.   So even if they were to run into another.  She is just apt to kill them.  Especially when your dealing with a chaotic society,  lack of trust is big time. She apt be killed for being an outside to the cabal they ran into if not hers. 

Anathanasia

I love the 40k, and I'd be interested in playing, but ESG has apparently infiltrated my head and stolen my character idea... >.>

Lol, seriously, everything in your last post sounds like exactly the kinda of character I'd like to play, ESG (I've even got a DE army packed away somewhere...). Especially for the reasons you'd listed; c'mon, like one wych wouldn't be able to massacre most of the crew with a spatula before they could stop her, but then what would she do? She really is trapped...

But, unless we can con Darkling into allowing two somehow (twin wyches? everybody loves the twincest!) and ourselves into not feeling we're stepping on each others toes... =D

Nah.

I am intrigued, though...I will try to think of something that'll work...hrmm...
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

ChaoticSky

incorrect, mostly.

the galaxy is 'known space' and the Imperium covers the vast majority of it. only a few parts on the very fringe are beyond the Imperium. the Dark eldar operate from within the Webway, enabling them to appear and disappear at will where ever it is present.

but keeping a DE against her will would be impossible, she would have to be present willingly somehow. DE are... EXTREMELY violent/sadistic, shed kill us just for the sake of killing us if she wasnt specifically a ally. also, dont forget that DE need to eat souls to survive, having sex with one, unwilling, would effectively be suicide. shed rip your throat out with her teeth, happily.

so allow me to clarify, eldar, DE and kroot, need to be there of their own free will :P (tau are little different than humans, physically, so if you wanted to play a tau slave, thats possible)

Tsakara

aw no orkses.

not too surprising tbh though
I'm thinking I'd be eldar, or Tau, but what are their like, basically how do they operate, etc?

AthenaNude

Quote from: Darkling on December 24, 2009, 09:13:30 PM
@Athena: there are no female space marines :P sororitas are buff hardcase female warriors in power armour and use a similar weapon loadout to SMs though.

Then my character will be a musclebound human Sororita (I call any space military group 'marines' as a sort of mental shorthand).  I'm guessing the Sororitas are part of the Imperial faction, correct?

Quotebut youd have to think up a reason for her to be in a rogue trader ship to begin with.

I shall consider it a challenge.  Since I have no clue as to who they are (outside of what you just said) I'll do my best.

Quoteand i wont be using a 'system' with rolls and stats and such. this will be freeform.... but if you get out of line ill just blow you out the nearest airlock, i am the captain after all :P

Yaaaay!  I'm completely agreeable to that.  I don't really expect my character to survive but I do hope it will be a highly arousing death scene!  LOL  (and there's always going to be other Sororitas ready to take her place on the front lines against the alien swarms).

This sounds pretty outrageous and a lot of fun!

ChaoticSky

@tsa
you can wait untill i get the OOC up to decide, this topic is mostly for discussing/adjusting the idea so it appeals.

but for now,

the Eldar were once the dominant race in the galaxy, defeated the Necrons, kept the orks under control and manageable, then they all decided to have one massive orgy for a few thousand years. the psychic impression they created (all eldar having some psychic ability), eventually sparked into sentience, became one of the four Chaos Gods, and annilated their coreworlds, wiping out their entire civilization. three groups survived The Fall. The Craftworld Eldar, who rejected their kins hedonistic ways and fled on massive world-ships, they live for thousands of years, using special crystals to protect their souls from the chaos god they created (worn about the neck, and 'catch' their soul when they die). they follow the Eldar Path, which is a life-philosophy where they switch profession as soon as they master it, ensuring they are never bored and want for somthing to do. its all very strict and regimented. some craftworld eldar disagree with this strict lifestyle and leave (dubbed the Path of the Outcast), and assuming they arnt consumed, eventually become Pathfinders, uber sniper/rangers who do... well, whatever they want. a Eldar on a Rogue trader would almsot certainly be a Ranger(novice) or Pathfinder (master), they have cloaking tech and energy-sniper rifles. (incase you were wondering the other two groups are the Exodites, who life peacfully in forested worlds, i cant recall how they came about, maybe colonists who were stranded on the outermost worlds when the Fall happened, and the Dark Eldar, who where among the decadent eldar who caused the Fall, but had strength of will not to have their soul ripped away all at once, instead it is slowly drained, and they have to eat souls of members of other races to preserve their life (and youth) ). as a rule they are arrogant, and consider humans as a lesser race, they think nothing of manipulating events, for their own gain. and are quite willing to sacrifice whole human worlds to protect a Craftworld. prudish they are... but the tips of their ears are a very powerful feel-good spot, to which they have little resistance.

Tau are a small empire that exists on the fringe of the Imperium, the tau are a utopian society of progress and peace, split into 5 castes, these castes denote profession, and not rank. Ethereal rule as philosopher kings, humbly for the most part. Fire are warriors. Water are translators, diplomats, mediators and are powerfully empathetic. Air are drivers, pilots and crews. Earth are labourers, scientists and artists. they devote themselves utterly to a ideal called the Greater Good, which is exactly what it sounds like. anyone or anything that serves the Greater Good is welcomed with open arms, anything that isnt is crushed at the earliest opportunity, often humans that have fallen under their sway are subject to concentration camps and/or mass sterilization unless they jump at the chance to serve the Greater Good. their weapons are perhaps the most advanced of any faction save the necrons. after the last war with the imperium, a faction of Firewarriors went rogue and split off from the rest of the Tau, if you were to play a tau, it would probably be one of them. they take a much more... practical view on the greater good (namely a view that says shoot first and welcome them with open arms *arfter* they surrender, not before). Tau have no warp-presence, making them unable to interact with it, thusly they are immune to Taint and mutation, in fact, they believe Chaos to be a human myth, some form of religious belief to justify our infighting (they see Imperium vs. Chaos as a civil war). in the same vein, their ships to not enter the warp the way imperial ships do, instead they 'dive' skipping off the 'surface' of the Warp, this makes for a safe, smooth ride, but is alot slower. as a rule, a Tau would do what seems to be for the greatest good, wether that be abandoning their allies, or sacrificing themselves. they seem humans as... crude, and in need of enlightenment, but in a patronizing, and not hostile way. they are very... at peace. more monk than berserker if you get what i mean.

@ athena; yes, they are servants of the imperial preisthood (who are forbidden from having 'men at arms') and frequently for the inquisition, hunting heretics/mutants/rogue psykers. they are basically warrior Nuns, they mostly use flame and bolter weapons, and wear power armour, they are *extremely* religious, but they are neither celebate nor required to be serious all the times, there are instances of laid back Sisters who gamble and boink and such. but most are too busy being religious for such things. the whole lot of them are closet pyros >_> they are also pretty nasty in hand-to-hand, generally speaking, they are described as being  'unsexy' (in the typical sense anyway  ;) ) due to their strong preference for martal ability over feminine charms, they are often buff and heavily scarred. most of them are very military, you cant just wander off, but run aways do happen, for whatever reason.

*grins* if your interested, you coud play a runaway Sister Repetia... they are sisters who feel they have sinned, and wish to suffer in atonement, they go into battle wearing (i kid you not) a red hood and strips of paper, and carry a 8-foot long chainsaw sword called a 'Eviscerator' sometimes fitted with a built in flame thrower (see? pyros i say!) that can function quite effectively as a anti-tank weapon, to say nothing of a squishy person. perhaps the idea of dying suicidally didnt appeal and you ran off after the rest of your squad was dead :P

but yeh, if you like we can discuss the various options later

and for the record, in 40k, Space Marines are genetically augmented Super Soldiers who are around 8-10 feet tall, when unarmoured, can survive pretty much anything that doesnt instantly kill them, and crush a humans skull in one hand, spit acid, eat anything from rotting rats to tree bark, survive the void of space, etc.

AthenaNude

Hmmm...okay, I admit I didn't expect that.   XD

How about a more toned-down female Space Marine?  One of several females who got kicked out of the Corps and joined the Sisterhood (as a result of some very nasty sexual escapades, perhaps).

My Super Soldier would not spit acid or be able to survive in the icy vacuum of space, but would still be pretty formidable and tough (as evidenced by her lack of much clothing or armor).  Her kind would have been designed as breeders, with huge breasts (that lactate as a result of the process) and gorgeous features.  Since the Imperium may have needed every fighter available to combat the aliens, you might have a good reason for them to have just thrown in the breeders as well, since they were part of the Super Soldier program and can still fight fairly well (think of cheap, expendable troops, like auxiliaries).  And if she's part of the Sisters then it would also work pretty much the same way.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Imogen

I'd be interested in taking the role of a male DE pilot, arrogant and fast with his guns. The kind of guy you want behind the controls when you want to get out of a bad situation -fast-.

I don't know much of the setting but I learn pretty quick :-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Kolbrandr

I'm not generally all that thrilled by freeform, but I'm really partial to 40k, so I figured I'd put my hat in.

The very brief notion (I can provide more detail if it's viable) I had was for an Eldar Harlequin Solitaire, who would be about on the ship in a sort of passenger/pay their way via offering skills at efficient murder as needed. Rogue trader ships are a decent way to reach various remote communities, including those of Exodite Eldar and the like, or at least move further along a travel route that leads to them. A stretch on a ship travelling about thus facilitates the wandering out while looking for candidates for Harlequin-dom.

Then again, you're getting a lot of eldar/dark eldar notions, so I'll maybe ponder something else.

Anathanasia

This is just starting to form in my mind, Darkling, but how's this for the bare bones:

A young human woman in her early-mid twenties, 23 or 24 say, who's working on the ship as what I think is typically called a 'spacehand' in most sci-fi settings. Just basically one of the general crew, maybe with a lean on maintenance and mechanical tasks.

I'm thinking the fun twist is where she got her start, and her 'hands on' mechanical training: it's rough keeping those Leman Russ tanks operational on Cadia. Her experience was really practical, though, as a tank driver in one of the Shock Trooper regiments, not as just a mechanic. She went in as a young conscript (I had to look it up, I knew it was early on Cadia but couldn't remember just how early...14!), served for eight full years and then decided she wanted a 'break'. She's Cadian, she's tough, she's planning to go back...probably. She's just got to sate some wanderlust first...

Whatcha think?
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Carlissa

*Pokes* Can pregnancy be included? ^^
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Tsakara

I'm thinking I'd play a stray exodite eldar, a rather small looking girl who looks to be in her low twenties but shows a large amount of wisdom for her age. She's a skilled pilot and mechanic, and her strange, peaceful attitude seems out of place, however she is not to be underestimated

Insight

If you're still accepting men, I'd be happy to play a member of the Eldar in the role of a marine/soldier/pilot. Just something where I get to shoot things. Thanks!
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread