Microsoft repair problem.

Started by Blinkin, December 31, 2019, 03:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hello All.

Before I start, let me go a head and say that, like everything else, the MS Office software is old and I can't afford to either upgrade or replace it. Nor can I just pick something up off of the shelf without knowing with 100% certainty that the software is screen reader compatible. I've done that and have been burned over a conflict with my screen reader a few times. Few technical support people or venders even know what a screen reader is to begin with.

So, on with the situation.

I am running MS Office 2013, on a Windows 7 desktop. I will be updating to windows 10 within the next couple of weeks; as soon as I can find someone sighted to click on the appropriate buttons to complete the installation (My screen reader doesn't open until Windows is fully up and running).

In recent weeks, both word and outlook have started to develop issues with errors in operation, parts of the document doesn't read properly, etc. I tried to do a quick repair, but nothing happened. I tried to do an online repair and the system told me that I need an internet connection; I have an active connection and both went on line using firefox, google and IE11 and did a malware bytes update so the connection is definitely up.

I did go searching on the web for helpful tips to find another way to repair or reinstall the application. I even understood all of what I found. just 2 little problems.

1. I don't know if office came preinstalled, was installed after purchase or what form of process that was taken to install it. The computer came to me used several years ago as a gift when my laptop was failing and I no longer have contact information with said friend. So, no idea how it was installed and no idea of the product key or what email the software was registered with.

2. How can I make Office recognize my connection an therefore, make the online repair option work?

As I've mentioned, the computer is second hand and I never got the certificate, product keys or a CD with an installation option.

So... help?

Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Despairs

Hello sir, concerning your issue, have you tried restarting your computer? If not, give it a try.  Your other option is to use system restore. Restore your computer back to a point when MS office and outlook 2013, were working properly. Here is a link on how to do a system restore in windows 7. Keep us updated.
---> Click here to visit current request thread for pairings with plots as well as ons and offs.<---
Note: Strictly  homosexual pairings as the main focus in stories bore me, however I am fine with it as side pairings as long as I write for the males  in a relationship with each other, or the two  males involved with each other and the female in a polyamory relationship.

Status: May be slow in replying to messages due to online Uni and job hunting.

Uni graduation: 8/24/25.

Blinkin

Sadly, I've already tried both. I've shut down and restarted the computer multiple times and did a system restore to a date well into the past. I don't remember what the exact date was, but I tried it before Halloween. Neither had any impact on the problem.

I've also tried creating entirely new documents and worksheets; retyping in the data by hand and still suffered the same issue with Word and Excell in the new documents. It all looks fine when I save it, but when I reopen it, parts of the documents are missing/corrupted.

Of particular note and I forgot to mention, AVG stopped working at about the same time and could not be either repaired or removed from the system. However, it still functions in the background. It's given me a notification once, but refused to work when I tried to do a scan. But, both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes seems to be doing a good enough job of keeping the system clean.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Nowherewoman

Just in case, you might want to log into one of the reputable anti-malware sites and do an online scan.  AVG dying at the same time as an MS app sounds very suspicious to me.

Another option:  check the Windows Update History.  See if anything has changed/updated recently, and if so, uninstall it and see if things work properly again.  MS is notorious for breaking stuff with their stealth updates, especially older soft.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0