A Brief History (Thete's Blog)

Started by Theta Sigma, April 02, 2017, 09:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theta Sigma

I miss having a proper blog. I did the daily challenge a few years ago here and failed awfully. >_> This is more of a lax blog with no hefty schedule, and will also be a place to put reviews, thoughts and general life comments.

As we currently stand in 2017, I am a part time History student studying through distance learning, I am currently unemployed through no fault of my own, I am a gamer, I enjoy a lot of media (Doctor Who in particular) and I identify as genderqueer, mostly male. I don't tend to think about that so much, though.
I am 26, I have been in a relationship for nigh on ten years, and we are open & poly. And he's a member here! :>
He is mostly a lurker.

Terrible introduction complete, this now exists for when I want it. Yay.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

This bad boy came through in the post yesterday. Yooka-Laylee. Yay! Throwback nineties time. I've been lusting after this since it was Kickstarted a few years ago, and spent a great deal of time regretting not jumping in on it. I've had it pre-ordered since January. I miss the old platformers of days gone by. A lot. I grew up with them, and I spent a great deal of my childhood being stuck on these things.

Yeah, things haven't changed.

I just happen to know a hell of a lot more swearwords these days to display my frustration. >_>

Yooka is everything I expected but a lot more frustrating than I anticipated. I never played the Banjo games, and this is essentially Banjo in a new skin. I didn't own an N64 until way after the generation ended, and even then, I barely used it.
And then I just... Didn't ever touch the Rare collection when we had an Xbox One for a brief period.
So, I can't compare this to the nostalgic originals. It does, though, remind me a lot of Croc.
God, Croc was an amazing game.

I digress.

I like Yooka-Laylee. I like it a lot. I'm enjoying the bright colourful exploration aspects and wondering if I'm actually playing as Yooka or Laylee. I like Yooka, because I like lizards to some weird unhealthy amount. I just... I hate the roll.
There.
I said it.
I've cracked my issue with this.
The roll does my head in because I can't control it.

I struggle a lot with platformers. I have Dyspraxia, and therefore very poor spatial awareness and hand-eye co-ordination. I get by, and I put that down to playing games as a child. Still, I struggle a lot with platformers and timing and there's a lot of this style play in this game. The first boss included.
I'll get by with help, but it still won't stop me dishing out a whole host of swearwords and colourful noises as I get hit or die repeatedly. I have, unfortunately, accepted my fate. I will never Platinum this game. I will enjoy it, but I will also struggle.

And it won't be a timesink due to the frustration. >_>

Crash Remastered, on the other hand...?

Maaay be a different story...

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

Huge image
I play a considerable amount of WoW, and November will be my ten year anniversary. In that time, I have mained a tauren hunter, a tauren paladin, a dwarf paladin, a worgen warrior, a panda monk, a dwarf paladin, and a worgen hunter.

Yeah, I know. >_>

I've always lusted after mounts, and I have several rare ones I have gone out of my way to obtain. I haven't done much grinding for any lately, but I was in the area beside Throne of Thunder today, which drops two mounts, and I thought I'd have a bash.

Low and behold, I get this beautiful baby on my first attempt! :>

Just in time to fly on the Broken Isles next week. Yay.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Theta Sigma

Doctor Who is back on telly. Yay!

Thoughts below...

Majorly spoilerific
the correct pilot has been found. the correct pilot has been found

I really like Bill. Bill is an amazing companion. I'm very aware most companions that I also am not fond of started off good too, but hit that downward spiral. Still, with rumours she's only in it for this series, I can't see a spiral happening. She also made me want chips. I love it when something makes me crave chips.
Also, very, very well handled LGBT inclusion. When all the news came out with 'BILL IS GAY AND THAT'S OKAY and you find out in the second line' it had the prospective to be awful. But, no. It was done very well.
I also still get Ace vibes from her.

Twelve, as ever, is wonderful. I don't want him to leave. He's so very good. I also like Nardole, but Lucas is very much a comedic icon I grew up with, so...

The plot was okay. I mean, it reminded me an awful lot of the Lodger, in that something is seeking a pilot who wants to leave. Just, in this episode, they found it, whereas in the Lodger they would've spent forever looking.
Nice inclusion of Movellans, do love me some good old series linkage, likewise Susan. The Vault clearly houses something Time Lord related, or the Master, I'm calling it now.

I'm not a fan of obvious arcs. Missy being the Master was so obvious it hurt, it was practically hanging on a flag in every episode and that was just royally sad. I don't want obvious, I want nice surprises. Which also brings me to the new rumors Twelve regenerates at the end of this series, not Christmas. Yeah, would be INCREDIBLY SURPRISING except when the obvious turns out to be the surprise, it just seems lazy.

It's good, I enjoy because I know my favourite show won't be on air much longer, but truthfully, if I want proper DW I tend to look to Big Finish.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns