Welcome to Cyber City [Recruiting Players!]

Started by The Green One, June 24, 2019, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Green One

Hello and welcome!

For a couple of years, I've been building the world of Cyber City and its people, and I finally decided to share it with everyone else. I hope you find this little universe, as well as the mechanics I'm planning to use for the game, fun and exciting. With this game, I'm looking forward to meeting and writing with new and many Lords, Ladies, Legates, and Lieges; Cyber City is open to everyone.

-------

Cyber City is the last inhabited place on Earth. Humans are the only survivors on the planet, and barely. Global warming, wars, extreme exploitation of natural resources, all led to a dead world and an almost extinct Human race. Now, most people don't dwell in the past errors of humanity, meaning they didn't learn any lessons, and meaning they worry about their present and future.

The city, while bustling with people, has a general aura of abandonment and sadness about it, nostalgia if you want. The many cultures of Earth gathered and mixed here, although not always in a peaceful way. With a touch of Noir, there's conflict and a sensation of nihilism looming over the lower lands of The Slums; while power rises, untouched, at the Upper City and the Middle Ring struggles to not fall into poverty.

Something that somehow unites everyone is the simulated worlds most people cling to as an escape from life. The more money you have, the more realistic these simulations become, with more gadgets to connect to your body, with better graphics and sounds, and they are safer than cheap VRs as there can be some physical and mental damage. Within these worlds, people from all levels can connect and become friends, always hidden behind the anonymity of the game.

Above the decaying planet, rules the Moon Colony. With its capital Algaros City, the Moon Colony is the residence of the most powerful humans. Those who already ruled the world before leaving the Earth, simply built their new empire on the Moon. They have power over the economy, media, and most importantly, the CCPD and the Hunters. They turn things to their favor by restricting the Police Department and allowing their Hunters to do as they please.

With this little introduction, I'd like to get into the game mechanics.

In a digitalized world where the most valuable thing is information, closed nets are working all the time to learn more and learn faster about their enemies and allies. So information is key.

Based on this, there will be three tiers of information: Public, Faction Exclusive, and Secret.

Public Information: Everyone or most people know about it. It can be about a person, a place, a fact, etc.

Faction Exclusive Data: Only the members of one or maybe more factions know this information exists.

Secret Intel: One or few more people have this knowledge.

So, depending or your character, they will have more or less knowledge about different things and people. Hackers and Police Officers will have access to all Public Information and part of the Faction Exclusive, while Hunters, Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries will gather information with time.

There will be NPCs willing to give and exchange information and items with the players. These NPCs will be found at different times and places, but if your character doesn't know who they are, they could miss an opportunity.

I will also include quests and events, both divided into similar categories as before.

World Event: An important arrival from an outer colony, for example.

Faction Quest: Your boss sends a group to investigate who's coming.

Secret Event or Quest: Your boss sends you, specifically, to kill that person.

For random events and quests a player or players might encounter an NPC or get a notification from their faction with a favor to ask or a task for them. It can be something simple as "Don't forget to bring cookies" or something more complex like "New target found". Is up for the player/s if they accept this or not, although there will be consequences in both cases. In case a player decides to accept the event, is up to them if they want to write the entire thing, or mention they accomplished the mission. For the cookies example, it could be something like "Before going home, Kay stopped at the store to get the cookies" or "She accepted the new bounty request, it was time to find the new target and get the job done". The research can be in game or not as the targets will never be the main NPCs.

The results of each mission is decided by a dice roll, once the player or players involved announce their next move. After we do the dice roll, they can go ahead and resolve the scene.

My original idea was to send a PM to the person(s) involved with the information required, to keep the feeling of secrecy real. Now, I know the inbox can get messy very easily, so all information will be sent through our Discord, unless a player prefers PMs.

Players will have the option to keep certain information as Faction Exclusive or even Secret if they want and reveal things about themselves as the story unfolds. So it's possible that you might not see entire bios, and even names or pictures in someone's Character Sheet.

All factions have one thing in common, a goal, which will be decided at the beginning or through the story between the players and the GM. Faction goals can range from taking over the mid and lower city, controlling the top layers of power, or destroying every system established; it's up to you; those are mere examples.

All players, whether they belong to a faction or not can set themselves goals as well, and work on their own or teaming with whoever they need, when they need it to achieve their goals. It can be something small, like opening a store, or something big, like overthrowing a leader.

The players will find that the story begins at a slow pace so that they can get used to the mechanics, and so they have time to have their characters meet others, and establish relationships with those inside and outside their faction. Belonging to this or that group doesn't mean your character can't interact with people from other organizations, so go ahead and find the common areas to start making new contacts.

Upcoming events will be revealed with certain anticipation to some characters, depending on their faction and contacts. If you want to know about an event before others or get more information about it, you can always take your character to those NPCs that are willing to share the news. They might ask for credits in return, or maybe a little favor.

Assume that your character/s always have enough credits to get what they need, as we won't be registering any inventory or anything like that. Or, if you wish to gain goods or whatever by working for someone, that's great too.

Players can bring a character to sing up to an event, play that scene, and then have their character leave the city or something like that. They can always come back, of course. That way, people who'd like to try the game can get their chance, even if they don't have the time or wish to join the game full time.

All actions have consequences. From your character's name and picture showing up on a gossip blog, to a bounty put up on their head. The game is designed to have a sense of danger, and for the players to feel like their characters matter in the world.

Of course, no characters or NPCs written by players will die, unless the player agrees to it. There would be always plenty of ways to help a character get out of trouble.

-------

To keep the game's aesthetic, I'd like players to find digital art face claims, Pinterest being an infinite source for them. But, if you don't find anything that appeals to you and still want to play, I'll accept anime characters, and real people face claims.

Humans
There are plane Humans and Augmented Humans, although augmentation and body modifications are as popular as fashion, and, are fashion itself. What started as a resource to make human life better, to make soldiers more efficient, has now reached the shallow level of appearances. There are various laboratories to buy these modifications from, varying in price and quality, and, in safety. A malfunctioning part on your body may cause you great physical and or mental damage, and even death.

Humans are no longer the predominant species on Earth. They're leaving Cyber City, or at least trying. The most powerful are all gone, having a comfortable life at the Moon Colony, while those remaining on Earth struggle to survive, whether they own half of the city or nothing at all. The poor are forced to accept what they get. The rich are forced to escape reality.

As they have always been, Humans are adaptable survivors, still molding the environment to their benefit.

Synths
A perfected artificial form of life. The Synths have been sharing the world with Humans for a long time now. Facing discrimination and hate from the population that demanded to have one or more at their homes when Synths were first brought into the tech market. They were used as servants of any kind, they were used to do all the risky and boring tasks Humans didn't want to do anymore, but now they are considered alive and thus treated almost like Humans.

They work anywhere and everywhere, and they are impossible to detect without a scan. There was a time when they were forced to tell a Human if they were a Synth or not, but that law was pulled off after various pro-synth groups raised their voices to support them.

Synths have entirely free will, although it is possible to hack and control them. Their physical appearance is based on supposedly dead people.

Outers
The outers are all intelligent forms of life from outer space. Yes, we have those, and you can pick from the typical grey, wide-eyed alien (which terrify me, but still I'm open), to something like the many characters of Titan A.E., for example.

You can find a few examples here.

Elves
Elves is how Human Elites are commonly called, because they have taken a liking to modify their ears as a symbol of beauty. They live at the Moon Colony and sometimes you can find one or two roaming the mortal grounds of Cyber City.

There is nothing more economically powerful than the Elites, and they run the Hunters. While they care little about what happens to the planet, some of them are curious as to how people still manage to strive.

Once in a while, an Elf decides there's something very wrong with the system they live by and scapes the colony.

You can find a few examples here.

There won't be classes with different stats and skills. This is more like a guide for you to know what kind of character you could make. You can pick one or more to combine.

Workers
Workers are the most common class. You can find them working from bars to stores and various services. They are the common folk of the city.

Gang Members
Criminals in general, they range from thugs to high ranked professionals like lawyers or doctors; dealers and prostitutes. They can belong to the main mafia groups or smaller gangs.

Police Officers
Corrupted or not, Officers are in charge to maintain the order around Cyber City. There are various open ranks.

Hackers
Hackers are considered criminals to some extent, but they are often hired by powerful people or organizations. They enjoy the freedom of moving about the net unseen by most, although there are not many of them.

Techs and Mechanics
They fix stuff, they make implants and modifications. Found at all levels of society.

Hunters
The hunters go after illegal residents and highly wanted criminals, no matter their social status.

Medics and Scientists
Working in both legal and underground level, they are usually focused in their own goals. The aiding spirit of a nurse is long gone. They will help you, if you can pay or serve them.

The Siren

Kay Armstrong

Luigi Amano

Seth

Famous singer, she works at the Siodmak.
Always has the right information at the right time.
Everyone knows The Siren.
Retired cop.
Currently works as a private investigator.
Some know him personally; others have heard his name.
Amano-Rossi leader.
Well known among criminals and the CCPD.
Hacker.
Always up to sell some intel.
He'll find you.

The Siodmak's Owner

Tiny Tina

Little John

Charra

Drinks for credits.
Data for data.
If you've been to the Siodmak you've seen him.
Go see her for tech.
Check her Parkour vlog.
She roams the Upper City.
He'll fix you.
He might break you a few times.
If you know The Slums you'll find him.
Are you lost?
Charra will help.
Everyone knows Charra bots, they're receptionists, guides, etc.

You can pick a faction/s at the beginning of the game or later in the story.

The Amano-Rossi Family
Led by Luigi Amano. The organization is strong, or so it seems. They rule most part of the Middle Ring and control several drug dealers and prostitutes, who also work as spies for Amano. They're a strong mix of Yakuza and Italian mobsters united about 50 years ago to survive.

Vasiliev Group
The Russian mob, put it simply, and rivals to the Amano-Rossi. The Vasiliev have one or more leaders that not much people have seen or heard about. It's not clear how strong they are although they manage pretty well to keep their turf from the smaller gangs. They control a small part of the Middle Ring and most of The Slums.

Cyber City Police Department
The CCPD's power extends from The Slums to the Middle Ring, with the Upper City being out of its jurisdiction. The corruption flows from the upper to the lower ranks, although there are few that do their best to keep Cyber City's population safe.

Drones are constantly scanning the streets and sending information to the headquarters about who's doing what and where thanks to the chips implanted on all legal inhabitants of the city. People are aware of this, and there's not much they can do about. The CCPD is always watching from the headquarters located in the north sector of the Middle Ring.

The Hunters
As previously explained, Hunters take care of very dangerous criminals and illegal inhabitants. They are protected by the laws of the Moon Colony, which makes then untouchable down on Earth. Hunters also work as spies sometimes, or as intel collectors as they can access through many layers of security.

Anyone can become a hunter as long as they have the required skills for the job. Strength, agility, intelligence, as well as combat training, are a must for someone to become a hunter.

Among their ranks, you find ex-soldiers, former criminals, and common people, with particular hate toward their prey. While not all members are strictly evil, their perception of morality is certainly crooked.

Bounty Hunters & Mercenaries
They go after anything and anyone for the right price, working illegally while keeping themselves away from the Hunters' eyes. Bounty Hunters might have some limits at the moment of taking a contract, while Mercenaries will do absolutely everything.

Hackers
There are good, bad and pretty much neutral Hackers.

The good Hackers are those who help people, whether someone comes at them or by spreading information among the crowds.

Evil hackers usually work for money and don't mind controlling Synths to commit minor crimes.

A neutral Hacker is someone that has fun trying to break security systems and such, without stealing any information or leaving any damage behind.

Upper City
Growing tall at the center of the city, the Power Towers loom over the lower levels.

Middle Ring
Surrounding the towers, the Middle Ring extends largely, conformed by several levels.

The Slums
The last level of the city. It extends to the wastelands that surround Cyber City.

The Siodmak
Is the most popular bar slash club. People of all ages gather at different days to chill and socialize or to dance until morning.

Amano-Rossi Home and Territory
The Amano-Rossi house is a small complex of buildings located at the Middle Ring first level, toward the south sector.

Vasiliev's Grounds
They roam part of the Middle Ring and most of The Slums, living in separate places and small groups.

CCPD Quarters
Located at the north sector of the Middle Ring, the quarters is the living place for all officers in service, as well the command center.

Kay Armstrong's Office
In the border between The Slums and the Middle Ring, Kay inhabitants an old, ruined house.

Character Sheet Code
Please, don't post your Character Sheet here, send me a PM explaining what you wish to be of public knowledge and so on

[float=left][img height=350][/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Faction:[/b]
[b]Played by:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b]

We're currently looking for more members for the Vasiliev Group, and the CCPD! Also a couple Hunters and Bounty Hunters would be great! Although we're accepting all characters.

These are the active characters we have so far.

You can check them here

Amano-Rossi

Vasiliev Group

CCPD

Hunters

Bounty Hunters & Mercenaries

Hackers

Independent

Genaro Valafonte
Zachariah Wespandi
Moira Costellazioni
Giovanni E. Costellazioni V
Patrizia Costellazioni
Giovanni E. Costellazioni IV
Emir
Taki Amano
Mickey "Hammer" O'mailey
Piera Rossi
Ivanka Poroshenko
Dende Moolin
Abyrna
Jardani Jovonovich
Sergei Maksimov
Aleksei Nakariakov
Leonid Maksimov
Alistair
Ryan Pratchett
Tsukiyo Sershekesz
Saelihn Rhaven
Jensen Keats
Armand Renoir
Jebedayah R. Whistler
Miriam Viorel
Creelin Sliteel
Jordiana Kinsella
AbstraX
Xavier Saxby
Alana
London Croft
Hizashi
Leonid Maksimov
Kseniya Kashtanova
Ars'uk
S.A.D.I.
Torrie Vilcan
Paige Cashile
Artemis
Kseniya Kashtanova
Jack Churchill
Athena Walters
Abe K. Andras
Vednas Llohren
Artemis
Jett Ryland
Shuāng Zǐ Zuò (Zi-Zi)
AbstraX
Hizashi
Solstice
Dennis Hoag
Xavier Saxby
Lyndon Saxby-Chambers

Not available for new stories

Sye

The Green One

Lovely Complex

Hello. I am here and reporting to be apart of this! ^^
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Maeve

Well this looks interesting.

The Green One

Quote from: Lovely Complex on June 24, 2019, 11:02:40 PM
Hello. I am here and reporting to be apart of this! ^^

Quote from: Maeve on June 24, 2019, 11:04:13 PM
Well this looks interesting.

Hello, guys~

What would you like to play? You can PM me with any questions you may have.

Tolvo

Hey Liam, this looks cool I'm posting this to help remember it. I can't say it is likely I will apply I'm still reading things over(Nor is it unlikely I'll apply I just don't want to make it sound like I'm confirmed in when I'm still reading slowly in between stuff). You probably already know I like cyberpunk stuff a lot. ^_^

The Green One

Glad to (almost) have you on board, Tolvo!

Vostroya

Putting my name in the bucket as well!

The Green One

Dominique

This looks like an amazing story, I have the attention span of a goldfish and yet I read the entire first post in one go. Awesome work that! ;D

LeSane

I've been waiting a long while for something like this to come up. Color me interested.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

The Green One

Quote from: Dominique on June 25, 2019, 12:56:31 AM
This looks like an amazing story, I have the attention span of a goldfish and yet I read the entire first post in one go. Awesome work that! ;D
I'm glad I managed to keep your interest!

Quote from: LeSane on June 25, 2019, 01:07:50 AM
I've been waiting a long while for something like this to come up. Color me interested.
Welcome!

Capone

I'm like Tolvo, interested but no commitment. Been interested in doing something Cyberpunk.

Sekah

*slaps the table* I'M IN, YOU CAN'T KEEP ME OUT
LOOKING FOR NEW STORIES | FRIENDLY AND OPEN

WRITES: M/M + F/F + F/M (NOT AS F) + NON-BINARY  (AS/AGAINST)

ONS & OFFS | CRAVINGS | CHARACTERS

A/As 12/14/22: Update to Crisis Situation. | wiki | commissions & presents of my characters

Sye

Quote from: Sekah on June 25, 2019, 08:44:17 AM

XD the seriousness of all caps!

The Green One

Quote from: Capone on June 25, 2019, 07:57:46 AM
I'm like Tolvo, interested but no commitment. Been interested in doing something Cyberpunk.
Well, this might be your chance! I'm planning on allowing people to sing up to an event, play that scene, and then have their character leave the city or something like that. They can always come back, of course.

Quote from: Sekah on June 25, 2019, 08:44:17 AM
Yas!

The Green One

Just made a small update, added Discord server and OOC links!

Capone

I imagine most players won't need any help finding face claim images, but just in case, here are two lady ones that I found perusing my collection of images. Figured they might have appeal.

The Green One

Thank you, Capone!

The first one is in my collection as well! One of my faves ^^

Capone

Fitting, I suppose, that I have your face claim for Seth in my own collection. :D

Perhaps the two could be siblings, constantly in competition to see who is the better hacker?

The Green One

Well, yes! Seth actually has a sister!

xPeachyPuff

I'm possibly interested. Need to take time to read through everything properly (which I don't have now D;) but I'm thinking a Synth character would be pretty sick.

The Green One

Glad to have caught your interest!

Timeless

-plants an interest flag-

Took me a while to figure out what I want to write - and I finally got it. <-< Expect a sheet from me soon.