Tirasfell - A Kingdom In Peril

Started by FaeBorne, February 14, 2013, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaeBorne

Dark times had befallen the Kingdom, the Queen had been missing for some time and most have given up hope of retrieving the Lady Maeryn back to Tirasfell. Lord Fosten had been resolved that he would find his Queen,  as he rules their Kingdom with an iron fist. Festivals have stopped and their people grow fearful and restless with the unending struggles they face. Bordering forces seeing Tirasfell's weakness slip closer breaking treaties and alliances put into play years earlier as word spreads of the Warrior Kings missing Queen.

Whispers and rattling filled the womans head as she crouched in her dark cell. The smell of rotting flesh and mildew overwhelmed her sense of smell as other vermin and people lay scattered dead or dying. It had been months that she had been here, and her spirit and her hopes still remained that her King would find her. She had rested her complete trust in a man and though she wanted to believe that he still looked for her, her mind was dwindling away with thoughts that he had given up. Lambent green eyes narrowed with fury and hate and she jerked once more against the chains that bound her wrist to the cold stone wall.

They had kept her alive, to use eventually as a bargaining piece. Of this she was certain, her captors digusting behaviour thus far had been bearable. A weaker soul would have been broken by now, she was sure. Her eyes closed and she hung her head resting it against the bloodstained wall and swallowing back the sob that she would not let her captors hear. Her soul had taken almost all it could, as she fought to retain what had made her human. How easily it would be to slip back into the monster she had once been. To kill or be killed and to have no mercy...but she had changed, for her kingdom. She had become their monarch, their Queen and left the battleground so their King could take the honor of that glory.

She looked down at her now threadbare tattered robes, wishing it had been armor that they had captured her in. Wishing she had been wearing more than the simple dagger that had easily been dispatched. A snarl crept from her throat as she jerked her chains again, left to her own destructive thoughts...like an animal. Hating that Lord Fosten had yet to come rescue her.

She had been sold, by one of her very own. The whispers of the gaurds that watched her cell had made sure she overheard as much. What they wanted her to think was that it was her King. A man she chose as confidant yet had yet to accept as her equal. Her heart would not allow her to give herself that fully to anyone. Had Gerald been the one to betray her so that he could take Tirasfell? She knew that he did not deal with Orcs and Barbarians. The old barbarian hag that had chained her to the wall had spoke demon names in her curses. A name she had heard before, Dan'eshg, a name her Lore Master the chief advisor she trusted so well had spoken to her shortly before her capture.

Her head jerked up as the realisation of betrayal hit her full on. A cry erupted bringing on snickers from her captive gaurds. She could not believe that she had been fooled..it all had to be fake. Perhaps another, but not her Lore Master...

She knew she was far north, in barbarian and orc territory because the chill was nonending and she had been in captivity for months. Long enough for a seasonal change, yet no change had been felt. If King Fosten travelled far enough he would gain the answers he sought. In the next village there was a girl in the tavern who served the evening meal that knew of an Orc that bragged that he had access to Maeryn any time he pleased. That he had watched the Warrior Queen bleed her wrists on iron chains. An Orc who had made a deal with Tirasfell's chief advisor..

Unbeknownst to both Tirasfell's monarchy, was that they had been duped by the very being that they had both trusted. While Gerald searched for the waning soul of the Queen. The Lore Master would set into motion a hopeful plan that would kill the loyal King, and destroy the Queen indefinitely.

And so the story begins...

selfexiled

The breath of the horses were visible now. Winter had come to the land as the search continued, Gerald had already put down three horses since he started his search and this one would soon follow. He nearly beat one of his men to death when he begged for a chance to rest longer than a few hours.
"Your Queen has been kidnapped by those barbaric mongrels to the north and you want to stop and rest!!"
"But my Lord we've not stopped longer than three hours a day since we started on this lead two months ago."
CRACK! The butt of Gerald's spear found the underside of the soldier's chin knocking him off his horse. Gerald was on the move even before he hit the ground. Now covered in mud and frost the soldier looked up to meet Gerald's boot.
"Your loyalty appears as fickle as the weather! Tell me why I shouldn't use your blood to paint the coming snows red!?"
It took several moments for the soldier to even gurgle out a response as Gerlad continued to beat him.
"My Lord!" cried another soldier, causing Gerald to pause. "This man has proven his loyalty countless times have you forgotten we are your bodyguard?... Were we not chosen because of our loyalty?"

After a few deep breaths "Yes you're right." Pulling the injured soldier to his feet, "Well you'll have your rest now you're of no use to me in such a state. There was a town two days back someone go with him make sure he gets there. Then hurry back to us. everyone else, keep moving."

That was a week ago, the trail and weather have gone cold for now. The horses are dying off from extertion and cold. That's fine, it may be slower but its easier to follow a trail on foot, we just have to find a trail. The open road does give time for reflection though.
That night still haunts me, the Lore Master kept me in the study late with "pressing" matters of state. The old bum, he's supposed to handle the day to day garbage. Trials and troop movements are my purpose anymore. The queen went to bed early claiming dizziness and a foul stomach. I questioned the cook but we had eaten from the same pot basically and I was fine. For half a moment I conisdered perhaps an hier was on the way. But then the old crone showed up with his list of needs for the kingdom. Just because I had done it before doesn't mean i want to do it again. Escpecially when it's his job. I felt an urging during the meeting that I should check on the queen but the old bat persisted. Damn him I should've listened to my gut, and now he's forced to do his job because I'm out here in wild lands.

That sickness had to be a drug she would not have been taken otherwise. We've sparred many times with the outcome being far more enjoyable than this to be sure. No simple orcs and thier allies would've stood a chance if not for a handicap. There were many bodies left in the courtyard the next day, a full half the staff of the castle to be exact. None gave an answer I wanted. The scene of the room still burns bright in my eyes, even our bad fights never left the room like this. Everything was broken in some fashion, orc blood was splattered in many places but no bodies, there was one set of drag marks. Perhaps she was able to kill atleast one, it led to a hidden door, I can count on one hand the number of people that know about it and all of them are dead but the Lore Master, myself and the queen. I followed it to its exit where there were signs of the beasts orcs used as horses along with actual hoof prints which meant the barbarians were with them too. My guard travelled with me several hours into the night following the trail. Sveral I sent on to track them while I returned to get answers at the dawning of the day.

The wind was picking up making it harder to see the road ahead, but there was a glimmer in the distance as we moved toward it it grew and we saw that it was a town. "Make for the town! We'll sit out the storm but as soon as it breaks we move on!" The howling wind made it hard to hear but the soldiers all nodded as we pushed through the building snow.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

FaeBorne

In her dreams she saw herself seated under a rowan tree, appropriately named "Witch wood". The moon glistened upon her copper locks, and enwreathed her in an almost ethereal glow. She looked as if she were merely mist. Spread before her were stones, spattered with crimson. A dagger was held in one hand, forgotten, the other lay bleeding, rested lightly within her lap. Her voice spoke out entranced.

"Till Death..."

It was a whisper of an oath made long before she even understood what it entailed. Memories haunted like ghosts, wisping here and there within the confines of her head. Things left unspoken, things left undone. Her nature was to be stoic, regal, brutal & unfeeling and she played those emotions so completely that they had over taken her.

Pale green eyes narrowed on the symbols she had patterned out before her with small rocks. She had sliced her Kris dagger over her palm and watched as with a soft patter her lifeblood went smattering over the white pebbles. Words spilled from her mouth in an ancient language, her chant denied time, as if the words were spoken commonplace, so fluent was her lilting voice.

She heard herself ask for intervention and protection, for truths to be revealed. What she then received would be far more complex then she had been expecting. The dream darkened in her mind, a vision had coming while she watched her dreamself pray over the sigil of the Mother Goddess, Maeryn then saw herself lose her breath with a gasp watching her eyes roll where only the whites shown. In a flash, she could no longer see her dream self instead she saw the following.

A battle ensued, so many deaths, so many cut down. Fires raged and the screams of hundreds echoed within her ears. From the whitened depths of her eyes tears trickled at what she saw. Innocents mutilated by mercenaries who cared not who they killed, because the price had been correct. Maeryn shook at the details as they showed themselves to her in her minds eye. The battle continued on, a man baring the Crest of Tirasfell, and wearing a crown fought valiantly. Her King? Blasts of fire scorched through her and a jolt shook her, as the screams escaped and she was lying upon her back, eyes staring at the cells dirty ceiling while she tried to control her breathing. The vision having ended with the King taking her very own hand, while a Dragon rose up and destroyed them both. She awoke screaming, the sounds and smells of the dank cell overcoming her so that she wretched alongside herself.  The night terror had been more then she bargained for and it took her moments of deep long breaths as she tried to calm from the it.

She clenched her hands, the sticky warm blood from where she yanked at her irons slickening the feeling. Whatever Hahrutyne had been trying to show her, had been eclipsed by the Mistress's fear of fire, the Dragons wrath throwing her from the  dream perhaps before its actual point had been revealed. She frowned a low wail dragged from her throat...Lord Fosten had still not come, but she knew he would, her dream had shown them together. Even with that knowledge giving her a glimmer of hope,  how did one adjust to seeing their own demise.

A whisper escaped her hoarse and pleading... "Hurry... please.." She closed her green eyes and continued to pray for Fostens arrival. She did not know how much longer she had.

ooc Notes: No worries, take your time, the story can develop at a pace that fits your lifestyle. I'm a very patient person. ;-) Enjoyed your previous post immensely btw. :) -Fae

selfexiled

Err-kabunk! Cried the door as the wind whipped it from the hands of the opener. All attention was momentarily to the fiend that would allow such a horror of cold into such a warm cozy place. In stepped six men of varying height all covered in snow and ice and cloaks of black. As hoods and cloaks were pushed back the sigil of the crown could be seen on the chest of five of the men, a roaring dragon cowled about a sword. The sixth man however, wore no crest but he didn't have to. His armor was enough to mark him, even without his crown crested helmet, all knew the only man in the kingdom bold enough to wear elven armor was the king himself. An aura of fear suddenly swept the room, waiting and wondering why were they here. They wondered if if had to do with the queen being kidnapped.

Here in the border towns people feared less the reach of the kingdom and more the raiding parties of orcs and barbarians but even that could not dissuade them from taking thier coin when they stopped in for a drink. As it was two barbarians had been sitting in the corner near the hearth when the party entered. But they were poor at hiding themselves. Gerald turned and saw them, "Take them."

Now generally five vs two is bad odds but these were barbarians so it was more like three vs two. Except that these men were elite royal bodyguards of the most vicious iron fisted human kingdom in the known world; and thier king was standing behind them and it was barbarians and thier allies that kidnapped thier queen bringing shame to thier order. It was not going to go well. "Remember," said Gerald, "We only need one."

Villagers tripped over chairs and each other to get out of the way as the guards charged the two barbarians, whose first reaction was to grab and throw thier table at the guards. Falto! A streak of light and the table erupts in a flash as the guards pour through this distaction setting upon the barbarians before they can respond to the new threat. One does fall instantly with two swords inbedded in his chest. The other is cut across the legs and bashed across the head knocking him unconscious.

"Innkeeper, we need a room for the duration of the storm and the use of your basement." With a rapid nod from the man behind the counter he begins to fumble with keys to available rooms practically dropping them onto the bar. He then produced a key from his apron pocket, Gerald snatched up that key and made for the basement door. The guard captain took the rest leaving one behind, "I'll be staying with his magesty." The other guards handled the bodies accordingly two brought the unconscious one downinto the basement while the other two, after stripping all useful items from the body yanked open the door again allowing the biting cold to renew its assualt and heaved the body out the door to fall where it may. Then shut the door and followed the rest down into the basement to find information.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

selfexiled

"Well, this won't do at all." said Gerald as he looked about the basement. It was well made unlike the upper floors... Though it did keep all the innkeeper's supplies dry.
"Ceremony can wait for later." CRACK!! Gerald lifted and drove the butt of his spear into the stone floor, which appeared to do nothing at first. Then one could see small clumps of wet, dirt fall from the butt of the spear, but there was no caked dirt upon it. In fact no one has ever seen dirt cling to the spear at all, blood yes, but not dirt. From the clumps of moist earth cracks formed across the stone splintering it like glass and from these cracks small 'hairs' appeared.

Thump-thump-thump, thump, thump-thump, thump, thump; grumbling, more footsteps and the dragging of metal. The guards were bringing down the barbarian. "Damn this fething animal is heavy."
"Don't worry you'll not be carrying him again. He will never see the outside of this room... Though it will be quite the surprise for the innkeeper and his old woman when next they venture down here. *snickers* Though that is a small price to pay for harbouring enemies of your kingdom. Lay him over the cracks."

This done Gerald stepped to a sack of wheat, ripping it open took a handful of grain. He circled the body slowly pouring out the grain and muttering something the guards could not here. Once he completed the circle he turned to the guards, "Make sure the door is locked and barred. Then help yourself to whatever you find in here." The guards momentarily surprised by the second half of the order hesitated and then smiled. Lord Gerald was not usually like this, he would've beat them for taking from stores so freely. As they milled about the room shaking barrels and rifling through sacks and baskets Gerald sat cross-legged with his spear across his lap at the feet of the barbarian and seemingly went to sleep.

As the hours passed the stones about the body darkened with what appeared to be more 'hair' but it stopped at the wheat grains. This hair began to wrap around the body then began moving it to a standing position. As more time passed the 'hairs' thickened and thier true form shown, they were roots. Fully enwrapped now except for his head barbarian would never be able to move once he woke. Some five hours had passed now, "How hard did you hit him?" Rising now Gerald took a barrel as a chair and drew from a bottle of ale the men had. "You mentioned a barrel of water in here somewhere earlier right?" "Yes Lord." "Take it and wake our friend here. Our queen does not wait for us on fluffed pillows eating sweets."

After several good splashings of water the barbarian came to with a swift draw of breath that was cut short by a searing agony, or so the expression on his face said. "Good of you to join us my friend," said Gerald as he stood to face the captive. The barbarian returned the reply in some gutteral foulness he called his home tongue and then spit at Gerald. Instantly each guard was on his feet the nearest already moving to deliver a hook across the jaw. But a motion of his Gerald stopped him,"There is no need of that." Turning to the captive, "As for you, I'd make better use of my water supply." Sitting back down,"Well since pleasantries are not your strong suit we'll get down to business. Some two and a half months ago your kind and the foul orcs in league with some conspirator in my court kidnapped my queen. Where was she taken?" Silence..."Ah of course a barbarian never talks. Well let me tell you what is happening here and why you should be afraid."

Gerald leans back like he is about to share a hunting tale by the fire,"My queen made her kingdom known and feared by being bold and brutal. Public executions and torture were common and the rumors of her using bloodmagic were proven true countless times. Many people know of me for the victories I obtained since coming to the kingdom which of course led me to being chosen as the queen's husband and king. All of this you know. What you do not know is that I was once the unofficial ruler of not one but two kingdoms prior to coming to this one. My wisdom was so honored by my past king he hardly spoke to any other advisor. The other kingdom I literally built from the ground up, it is an elven kingdom. The elves are very close to nature and nature can be more dangerous than all my queen's power. You see it's the subtle quiet things you have to watch for, like these roots." AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH! "That pain is from these roots. While you were unconscious I bent them to my will and laced them all over you and... in you. That's right you have roots right now growing through your body penetrating your muscles squeezing your organs wrapping around your very bones. I can crush you from the inside out in a blink. Your people's stoicism against pain and the elements are legendary but you've never experienced this. Tell me now, where, is, my, queen?"

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

The stench of elf and their foul magic was on the air and the blizzard was raging as I made my way into the boarder town.  I was fleeing my land and the storm and the only things I had in the world were Bane strapped to my back and the massive gray Percheron horse I was seated on.  But a wise man knows that knowledge is the most valuable coin the land has to offer. So I sunk deeper into the bear skin that wrapped around me as I pulled the hood which still displayed the animal's nose, eyes, and lips further up over my head.  Brom is a harsh god who helps those who help themselves and no one is to be respected unless they earn it. It is after all the way of the Einherjar.  So I followed the stench of elf magic to a small inn.  One did not have to be a genius to note the type horses out front with only one guard sheltering by the building.  That guard was not overly sharp as he let me ride right up and smack him in the skull with the flat on my ax.  But I left him alive because I was seeking work not enemies of the crown as I swung my leg over the pommel and dismounted from my horse and tied him fast.  I left his tack on him in case I found myself in need of a rapid exit.

I had to duck to go through the door as well as turn sideways because it was too narrow. It never ceased to amaze me that these thin blooded southern folks made portals so small!  Of course there was activity inside and the locals looked at me like I was a monster. I ignored them because I was not here for them. Instead I followed the stench down the steps to a blocked and locked door.  I cocked my head and listened picking up most of the voices from the other side since they were not being overtly quiet.  I was not sure the dumb lout they had could enlighten them but I could. The Jarl had cast me out just for killing his stupid son.  He should have thanked me because the boy was clearly flawed. No matter as I fled I observed the trail of a group of Orcs and others who were clearly taking a woman further north.  A trail it would not be any major obstacle for me to follow.  Cast me out with no provisions or place to go and threaten me with death for your mistake will you?

I pushed the bear skull hood back off of my head and slid Bane from my back as the foul smell of elf magic got more intense from the other side of the door.  Well I hear these thin blood southern types want you to knock. I reared back and planted Bane in the center of the door as I felt the weight in the battle ax slide and put all of my power and all of the weapons weight onto the cutting edge. Of course the door split like dry kindling and fell inward with a loud crash. I crinkled my nose both at the smell of the foul magic as well as the fact this door was too short and narrow for my bulk as well.  But I looked to the obvious leader and grunted "he does not know where the trail is but I do.  I am willing to share that information also for a price since my Jarl and I have quarreled."

The bound men of the north looked at me with recognition and raw hatred before muttering in our tongue "Koreshian Skull Splitter you piece of dung."  I paid them no mind instead I shifted my eyes to the left as the of course already in motion royal guard closed on me.  One was getting really close before I added in a conversational tone "might wait and see what your king has to say first. Me I know that spear is going to hurt when I stick it up your ass if you don't wait."

selfexiled

The door splintered in a deafening crack! My men had jump out of the path of the two halves but not without drawing thier weapons in the process. This behemoth blocked the door ducking just to be able to speak through it. "He does not know where the trail is but I do.  I am willing to share that information also for a price since my Jarl and I have quarreled." The captive snarled and cursed at the man, obviously he was known, but not in a good way... this holds promise.

However, he was a barbarian and right now that wasn't a good thing. The men nearest the door moved in, "Might wait and see what your king has to say first. Me I know that spear is going to hurt when I stick it up your ass if you don't wait." said the giant. With a wave I delayed the attack but certainly never intended to standdown. "Alright, I'll give you a chance to speak. But I've spent to long in the royal courts to be lied to easily mark your words and be short. Ah but manners, one warrior to another come down out of the doorstep there and have some ale I promise the innkeeper won't mind. Also I see that you and your brethren here don't see eye to eye but I'll keep him around for a few minutes if you don't mind." Truth of the matter being of course this man was no push over, he would likely kill all my men. I need this fool alive to draw from I don't like it I almost refused to learn it, but even elves have a dark side, and when necessary it has its uses.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

I snorted this man must think I am a fool!  I had no intention of giving up the high ground or the cover of the door when I was so outnumbered. I had a leg up with the steps and the door frame meant they had to come at me one at a time.  That worked just fine for me. "I will stay where I am thank you and I tend to not lie that is a practice of the thin blooded. Oh by the way I do not care what you do with these two pieces of crap, but the guard you left with the horses is unconscious in the snow it would probably be better for his health if we finished this up swiftly."  I could carry on a conversation like a thin blooded court born or even an elf.  I was educated one of the things mother insisted on. I only spoke in grunts and whistles when it served my purposes after all.

I nestled my frame into the door frame more and moved my ax in a non menacing manner so that I could easily bring it to play.  The man doing the talking the king of course was no fool and he would know his boys would be coming at me one at a time if they got any bright ideas. All emotion was now gone from my face and my ice blue eyes showed all of the emotion or carrying of a true predator now.  Brom had no use for the weak so I had no use for the two being devoured by plants. And I could take all night to reach an agreement it did not matter to me.  They were the ones who had a man out dying in a blizzard. "Let me tell you a story, I was fleeing some political misunderstandings when I saw a group of orcs and men taking a female captive north.  I know the lands well and one does not have to be a real smart fellow to know which hall they were headed to.  Of course I can also track so it seems I have information you might wish to have."

I also let my eyes shift from side to side before adding "I also got a price on my head in the lands to the north."  The last tidbit had been a calculated risk.  Right now they needed me more than I needed them. I was sure the balance would shift over time but it offered some verification that I was telling them the truth. I also hoped they would not turn me over for said price on my head but that was another matter all together.

FaeBorne

The Orc lifted Maeryn by her hair, yanking her up so that her body was extended, toes barely touching the ground. His rotted smelling breath hot on her face as she felt her hair rip at the roots. The other hand came up and grabbed her around the neck with a bruising strength holding her at bay as his yellowed custard like milky eyes glared at her. Her iron shackles and chains clattered as she swayed, one toe stretching to touch the cold floor as she tried in vain to quell the fear that was raising from her belly to her throat in the form of thick bile.

“You do not eat food given..”

The Orc grunted out in a miserable attempt at her language. Maeryn refused to answer, but allowed the eye contact to continue. Those jade unblinking orbs stared hard into the Orc’s face committing it to memory. He would be the third she would cut down she mentally assessed. When she was free, she would cleave through their flesh with her blade and use every rote and ritual that Hahrutyne had blessed her with. To answer the Orcs question, a smooth grin spread on her petite dirty face. Cracked dry bloody lips parted and she launched a spit wad at her captors face watching with satisfied glee as recognition and then rage flared in those nasty yellow eyes. His hand loosened from her neck and he dropped her, a crumpled heap to the floor.

It was then that she realized her mistake as the first kick to her midsection cracked a rib. A scream erupted from her throat as another and another and another kick wracked her abused body. Iron shackled wrists yanked arms inward to protect herself as she curled as best she could trying to turn her back so that the blows were evenly dispersed away from her injured ribs. Coughing blood, Maeryn taunted with a pain filled whisper. Even brought low, the Queens tongue remained barbed and undefeated. 

“Coward, you kick like a weak Goblin baby..”

She was curled, on knees and one elbow, the other chained arm cradling her ribs as blood and spit dripped in a slow stream from her mouth. A chuckle more demented then anything escaped her, and then a laugh as she let tears fall from those hauntingly pretty green eyes.  The Orc made the fatal mistake of leaning down his head close to her so he could taunt her again. Words never left his mouth as she rolled hard as she could to the side into his shins unbalancing the already bent Orc so that he fell forward over her tangling himself in her chains. Dragging herself up she slid her chain over his neck perched on his back and tugged, a scream ripping through the air mixed with his choking gurgle.
She continued to choke him pulling with what strength she had…… WHAM. The blow to the back of her head sent her sprawling forward unconscious laid out with the very Orc she had just attempted to kill.

The first Orc staggered to his feet after untangling from her chains and stared down at the petite Queen in rage and stupefied awe. Looking at the other Orc he shoved pushing past his saviour knowing he would be the brunt of their jokes later that evening. Yellowed eyes glared back into the redheads cell as he wiped the spittle from the Queen off his face. He would be back later, to finish what he started, the promise of retribution in his hateful gaze.

The other Orc that had rescued his fellow guard stared down at the Queen and bent to make sure she was breathing. A satisfied grunt escaped as he stood and kicked the woman’s food tray spilling its contents on her prone body. He turned and left her knowing the rats would enjoy eating her meal off her bruised body. With a gleeful snorting chuckle he followed the other Orc, unable to contain his mirth and impatient to share with the others that the redheaded bitch had almost killed him. 

selfexiled

The beast knew tactics at least keeping the narrow door way and high ground to himself. Though Gerald truelly didn't hnink his men would've survived even on the floor against the monster of a man. "Well I do not recall leaving a guard at the horses but if I did he is getting his reward for being unaware. I am familiar with political disagreements andunderstand needing to run from them sometimes." At the remark of the remaining buffoon wrapped in the roots, "Alright since I have no need for him and you don't seem to want him." With a gesture meant more as a show that having any real power Gerald released his hold on the roots and let the magic that summoned them drive them forth into the man's organs and splinter his bones. Which illicited a most horrifyingly beautiful scream of pain that abruptly ended as the roots crushed the spine and nerves.

Standing Gerlad walked over to the steps, "Politics generally cause a price to be on your head. Thankfully I left my other lands before that happened. If your thoughts turn to me turning you in that seems rather pointless. You can provide me the path to fools that took my queen and for such service I'm willing to grant you land within my borders to do as you wish. What say you to that?" After a moments pause, "Actually let us all lounge by the hearth as we finish our agreement. There is no need now to stand at a knife's edge." Casually grasping his spear Gerald begins to ascend the steps towards the gaint barbarian.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

The fellow was making a show for my benefit the way he dispatched Olf in such an obvious manner.  I was ready for the scream and showed no reaction though that would not have been on my top ten list of ways to die.  Then he made his proposal which was better than I had hoped or expected and some surprise did show on my face at that. Of course I did not plan on bending over in front of this king anytime in the near future.  The thought actually made me smile more than a little bit and when he pulled his spear and suggested we sit by the fire I waved my ax lazily at him in order to decline. Pity also must have been one of the locals I club over the head because I had just assumed a guard would be posted. Better safe than sorry after all though and I really saw no more reason to beat around the bush with this fellow.  We did not like one another after all we were just forced into a situation where we needed one another.

I straightened up and cocked my head as I gauged the wind outside.  "I think we have an agreement and the storm will break by morning.  I will meet you in front and we will set off."  That was that and we were done this night and so I began to back up the steps keeping my eye on those in front of me.  I would bed down in the barn with an ear peeled for danger just because we were working together that did not mean I trusted them.  Besides these courtly types always wanted to complicate the simple and this was a pretty simple arrangement.

selfexiled

Ah well it seems this will be a strictly business venture for the moment since the man declined to socialize. But yes the storm seemed to slowly be blowing out even now. In the morning we would be off, moving to and entering our rooms my captain turns and asks, "My Lord permission to speak freely?"
"Of course captain, you know I don't mind you speaking your mind in private."
"Yes of course... This is foolhardy I do not trust this man. It seems to convenient for his arrival here."
"Captain, I share your worries and I say also that if you were not worried I would be offended. It's your job to be suspicious of everyone. Now I also have to believe that our queen's diety saw fit that we come across this man so that we may return her most loyal acolyte to her."
The captain took a moment before responding to that, "My Lord I have known you for several years and know you to be more practical than is expected for someone with your connection to such magics as you have. I find it hard to believe that you think a 'god' directed us to meet this barbarian."
"Hmp, captain your observation do serve you well, I do not strongly believe in any diety of this world but I cannot deny that they do exist in some fashion. Our queen is most exuberant in her faith as can be seen in her runes and abilities on the field. My own past battles are littered with many things that suggest divine intervention or a disproportionate amount of luck." Turning away towards the bags they brought with them Gerald's hand rested on one of them it was blackened leather with a single silver dragon pinned to the flap, "In the end Captain it is what we believe and have faith in that many times changes the course of battle for good or ill. Get some sleep we ride at first light."

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

Koreshian Skull Splitter returned outside to his horse and found that indeed the one he had knocked on the head had been removed.  He gathered his mount's reigns and went to the barn through the lessening storm.  Inside he unsaddled and tended his horse and then grabbed several rolls of furs and made his way to the loft.  There he wrapped himself in the furs and burrowed into the hay and let a light sleep take him.  One born to violence though always had an ear open for danger and never slept soundly.  Sometime during the night the weather indeed broke and the massive man was up way before the sun.  He gathered his gear and saddled his horse before mounting and pulling the bear head hood over his ears.

He then gave the the horse's flanks a gentle touch of heels and set it to walking to the front of the main building. There he waited already mounted and ready to go. He pulled a piece of jerky from his pouch and munched it as a cold breakfast and chased it with a sip of ice cold water.  Then he waited his companions of convenience his mounted and massive outline displayed against the horizon as the sun made its appearance.  The day was frigid and clear and both the man and the horse breathed steaming breath into the early morning dawn.

selfexiled

In truth Gerald had not slept soundly since the queen was taken, often was his sleep haunted by half remembered dreams of blood and fire. At first he attributed them to his rage of the current events but surely such rage cannot burn that hot for two months straight. But tonight was different, up till now the only memories he had were the smell of smoke, the heat of flame and the taste of blood. This time something else remained... an eye, reptilian almost but something more, it was filled with vengeance and hatred. But there was also a sound, it was what woke him, like the flapping of wings. The sound matched that of very large wings, like when he stood near a great bird of prey but even that seemed dwarfed by this one. He couldn't place it and he sat pondering it by the fire until the captain awoke.

"Oh, my Lord you should've woke me. How long have you been awake?"
"No captain you needed the sleep I've been pushing you and your men hard, you needed this. As to how long I've been awake... long enough to hear the storm die." Standing and grabbing the black leather bag Gerald made for the door and his spear, "Wake your men, and grab a fast breakfast I'll be waiting outside."
"Yes my lord."

Stepping out into the hall and heading down to the common room Gerald continued to ponder his new addition to his dream. There were hot rolls on the tables which he helped himself to on the way out the door, and his waterskin that he refilled from a water barrel. Stepping out the door he saw that the barbarian was there waiting, it made him smile. "Morning, Northman. I would call you by your name if you ever care to share it, unless you would rather I just use whatever comes to mind at the time." Gerald waited only half a moment before walking away to the stables for his horse. Then he paused and turned, "Do not mistake me for some high born fool, I fought my way to this position, even before I came to this land. I know what the life of a common man is and will always approach the common man in the same manner with no flattery or ass kissing."

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

The axman turned his head when the king appeared and grunted an answer “Koreshian Skull Splitter.”  He then silently sat his horse and munched jerky while the man got his mount.  He even gave the fellow a thoughtful gaze when he rejoined him and explained he was not a weak king.  A small smile played across the barbarians chiseled features “no King Gerald I do not take you for a lily white skinned ruler, but I also do not trust you.”  His smile grew a bit then and he added “just like you do not trust me. You would be a fool if you did trust me.”  He then looked to the lighting horizon and seemed lost in thought a moment.

When he turned his features back to Gerald the rest of the men were getting ready to move. “You probably already know but the ones who took your Queen are trouble for the north as well. Our tribes, we bicker, we squabble, my situation is not an unusual one but I will tend it. But these new ones they talk of binding us all together to make a concerted push. I am not so sure I like that prospect.” His pale blue eyes fixed on the other man a moment and let that sink in. Then he touched his horse’s flank and set off moving further north with the determined gait of a fine hound that had caught scent.

FaeBorne

They had moved her, and she was chained on a precipice, looking over into a black cavern that split the earth in two. Her body was taut stretched like a bow, feet shackled to a beam, her arms over her head and chained as well. Her tattered robes covered her enough for some decency though not by much. Her tangled red hair, was dirty and hung in lank tresses about her bruised face and cracked lips. They had not been kind to the Queen, yet her spirit would not break. The old hag warned the Orc that to harness the Queens powers her faith would need to be broken. Maeryns jade green gaze flickered open and she stared into the deep black depths below her in wild eyed anger. She jerked her body, the beam shaking. The gag in her mouth choked her, but her rage filled screams made those guarding her this time break into snickers. Hahrutyne had shown her that her death would not be by the hands of beings such as Barbarians or Orcs, no, Maeryns fate was sealed in the blaze of dragonfire. Her narrowed eyes closed fully and she waited. Her King would find her she was sure of it, and if he didn't....she would find a way. It would not be the first time the Queen of Tirasfell had rescued herself. 

selfexiled

Gerald was quick to follow Koreshian, his men would catch up. He had to smile himself at the declaration of untrust, it was true of course, but that's how business deals generally start anyway.

"Ha it is true that I do not trust you, as such I would not expect you to trust me. You can keep your disagreement to yourself if you wish I have no need to get into it unless it interferes with our arrangement." After a moment's time, "It is known that the tribes of the north often war amongst themselves and because of that no one ever expects a great threat from the north. But I have seen it happen before in a different kingdom, my homeland. It was a brutal war that lasted near three years and many man died in the process. Even now in my homeland there is a full legion charged with patrolling the northern borders." Memories came unbidden of those years seemingly so long ago. Gerald held a silent reflection for a time.

"It is good to know that they are massing up, we will need to break them before they come to full power. Tell me something, since you seem to know of these antagonists where are they now and will our number be enough to take back my queen? I do trust you to be honest if nothing else."

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

The big barbarian considered the words for a bit as they rode. At last he replied “my chieftain’s son was a little prick who had delusions of basic competence and skill. He irritated me one too many times and my chieftain did not like my reply that I was simply making sure only those with brains survived.”  Koreshian then lifted his head and looked at Gerald and shrugged his thick shoulders a bit under the furs cape. “I will pick up the trail but they are at the God’s Teeth it is a ridge of sharp rock that I am sure you can imagine what it looks like. There are only a few narrow trails in and if you stash centuries in the rocks on either side it is pretty easy to hold the pass unless one takes out those guards first.”

He then fell silent and pointed at the snow covered ground. There were no tracks after the storm of course but one could see where there was a dip in the unmarred snow surface that showed there had indeed been a trail there before. “And we can break them if we get in and kill the head.  This bunch runs with Orcs and my people do not suffer Orcs.” He crinkled his nose in disgust “we cannot take the Teeth by force but if we are stealthy we can gain your Queen and kick them in the nuts.” He looked at his associate and smiled a bit then set off along the slight indication of a divot in the snow.

selfexiled

Hearing the remark about the Jarl son made Gerald snicker a little, "Yes people do get a little touchy when you insult thier offspring even if it is the truth. But I probably would've said the same thing." After mentally recreating the mountain terrain and the pass involved Gerald agreed that a large force would be bad, the time and effort it would take to try and get them up the pass would kill most of them alone. It was also more likely that if there was an easier path it would be very open and they would be forced to face the compliment of the stronghold on the field before even getting close to the gate... hmm.

"Captain! Select a man to return to the Loremaster, tell him to mass the army and send them to the God's Teeth with all haste. Tell him there is a fortress there that holds the queen and to assault it as soon as they arrive."

"Yes my Lord. Martin come here." The captain turns back towards his men and begins relaying the message.

Knowing this would pick at Koreshian's brain Gerald rode up along side the man keeping his voice down so just the two of them could here. "I know you think that a rediculous move but it is not meant to be the true movement. We will continue along your path to take the stronghold by surprise. If god's willing my armies get here fast enough they will be an ample distraction and making our job that much easier. Besides they need to be destroyed anyway."

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

Koreshian cleared his throat “actually I said that after I cleaved his skull. It was empty as I had suspected.”  The big barbarian did not say anything as Gerald gave his orders and he only nodded as he explained. He then added “even if they do not get here quickly it will get our foes looking in another direction.”  His eyes glued to the trail the thick man rode a bit in silence and you could see the wheels turning in his mind. At last he looked up “there is also a back way in.”

He sat up more straight in his saddle “a small foot trail surrounded on both sides by sheer cliffs. Normally one would put an archer on each side at the entrance because if you get caught in the middle it is a killing ground.  I would send your men and the rest when they arrive to distract and if you trust me enough we can dispose of the guards and have a clear shot to the heart of the fortress.” He smirked “of course if we screw up we are dog meat.”

selfexiled

Again Gerald snickered at Koreshian's remark about the dense princeling, and listened intently as he spoke of a back way. "If you were to ask me to trust you right now the answer would be no, but I'm sure by the time we get there it may improve a little. besides the smaller the group the better, less heads to keep track of."

Gerald had done plenty of tracking in his time but very little in the snow but even here the divet left by the troop of orcs and men could be seen by a child. So since for a time thier conversation seemed to end Gerald calmly rode in silence and mulled over his latest dream from this morning's dark hours.

Blood and fire, an eye, and the flapping of great wings, what does it all point to? On the breeze there came a whisper indecernable, hhaassss-sshaass-ss, shiissss. "Do what?" Looking around, "Did someone say something?"

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

The barbarian just rolled his thick shoulders and fell silent as they followed the trail. But then he added "I do not think they make armies large enough to take that place." He then fell silent as well and when Gerald asked if he heard something the big man just shook his head no. "No, but in the big barren lands your mind can play all kinds of tricks on you." He did not seem to think hearing or seeing things that were not really there was anything unusual. And that might have been a bit more disturbing on several levels.

selfexiled

"Mmm, it is possible sleep has not been my best ally these past few months, perhaps it's catching up with me." Not expecting a response Gerald settled into his saddle once more and followed the large man and the trail until someone decided they just coudln't go anymore. Again his mind wandered back to his dreams and this new whisper he was hearing and hoping he wasn't going mad.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Retribution

The barbarian gave a monosyllabic grunt and was content to ride in silence. After a while the land began to sweep upward and Koreshian pulled up his mount. He then dipped his head to the horizon. "The Gods Teeth" in the distance that was still probably miles rose a jagged set of volcanic rock spars. The sides of the rock formations were vertical and the land took on more and more of an angle as the spars were approached.  The barren rock also became free of snow as it had clearly been swept clean by the wind. A bit of study also revealed that the vegetation ran out as well leaving little other than blasted stone as cover. A more foreboding sight would be hard to imagine.

The trail they had been following of course ran out as they hit the barren stone. But like the big man had said it was pretty obvious where the trail lead. Koreshian gave Gerald a while to get his mind wrapped around what they faced before nudging his mount into motion once more.

FaeBorne

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

"Tinnais, the Loremaster"
Element : Entropy (Fire)
Starsign : Jove's Hammer - Year of the Dragon - Month: Bahon
Diety : none - lesser deities pay hommage to him
Persona : Tinnais is a soft-spoken man with a fanatical mind. The pursuit of knowledge (and, more specifically, the power that that knowledge brings) has been the focal point of his existence. He specializes in spirit- and daemonic lores, but is also well-versed in uncounted other subjects, from military strategy to astronomy. He will give his advice when asked, and sometimes offers it without promting if he feels the need is there. While he considers himself mentally superior to, well, everyone, he is perfectly aware of his own shortcomings, and as a result can rarely be caught speaking with arrogance.
Destiny : Eternal damnation.
Physical Traits : Tinnais's body is almost non-existent. He is a frail animated corpse, marked by burns that have scorched every inch of his body. Black, decaying flesh hangs from scorched, fragile bones. In his eyesockets two bright bale-green fires burn. He moves slowly and deliberately. Always covered by a large billowing black cloak, he only lets his heavy hood down before those he trusts.
Magical Powers : Tinnais is a summoner. He specializes in summoning otherworldly creatures and binding them, either within inanimate objects or as ephemeral servants. The Loremaster's enormous library is filled with descriptions of spirit entities and detailed rituals on how to summon, bind and ward creatures of all types and alignments. The limits of Tinnais's summoning capabilities are unknown - rumors say he has succeeded in binding gods to do his bidding. Since his return the Loremaster seems to be weaker than before, having only been able to summon elemental spirits and binding them into stone-formed golems. Yet the recent wardings of the new Castle, in which he used spectral entities, seems to indicate a (slow) increase in magical prowess. Tinnais also has a few magical charms to serve as personal defenses in case of a physical attack. He has not yet been forced to rely on such measures.

The Loremaster stared at the soldier before him, green lambent eyes glowing from the depths of the hood, as his aged voice whisper thin spoke in riddles that the soldier could not understand. The soldier, named Erich had raced back to Tirasfell never once stopping long to rest as his King Fosten had bid him to bring a wave of soldiers to help. He didn't understand why the Loremaster had fortified the gate, they were not under attack. He also didn't understand why the soldiers seemed to move through their paces as if under some sort of spell. What had been going on here? He stuttered to Tinnais....backing up against the stone wall as the LoreMaster's inntelligible ramblings became louder.

"But...But MiLord.....The Queen, she is in peril.. and King Fosten has ordered you to send more soldiers..."

Dark tendrils moved from the shadows behind Tinnais, and shot forward into Erich with the sound of slithering snakes. The soldier jerked, going rigid against the wall as his eyes rolled into the back of his head. He slumped after a moment, as Tinnais' chanting subsided. The hooded LoreMaster spoke intelligently now, his whispered voice sinister.

"You will go, Erich of Tirasfell, leading your soldiers back to King Gerald & Lady Maeryn, and you will finish the job that was contracted out to the Orc's. You will wipe both of your rulers from this Land, and then you shall return to me, a hero of Tirasfell... and Captain of the Guard."

The words held promise, and the loyal Erich agreed to it, his eyes holding a vacant look as if he were not in control of his own actions both mental and physical. He left the LoreMaster to go gather a group large enough to defeat what men Fosten still had with him.

Tinnais was furious, his lambent eyes flared after Erich left. Possessing the whole of Maeryn & Geralds army had been taxing. He had needed them to be gone to see it accomplished, but he had paid the Orc's leader Igrynift a small fortune and then some to see Maeryn's head piked, and Fosten destroyed. The fact that it had yet to be accomplished and that Fosten was close to rescuing the Queen did not bode well for his carefully laid plans. Adjustments would need to be made, and as such he sent Erich back to finish the job. It would be at least a five day four night trek for the battallion of soldiers to make it to the North into Orc territory. Tinnaes stared at the Raven that was perched in his study. The large bird squawked and then yelped out.

"Failing Failing Failing Tinnais... the Massster will flay you alive..rawkah kah KAH!"

The LoreMaster tensed looking at the Raven, his familiar and a bane to his existance. The Dark Lord had posted the Raven to watch his damned servant and no matter where the LoreMaster went, the Raven flew behind and perched various places, cocking its head and watching with its beady eyes. It was rare that it would speak, yet when it did, there was a sense of foreboding that awashed Tinnais, as if his damned soul, was pecked at just a little bit more. With a snort of disgust at the sqwuaking of the bird, The LoreMaster turned in a sweep of his robes and moved off through a secret passage in the study. He would need his rest...the battle that would ensue if Erich did not finish the job Tinnais set in motion months prior would be bloody, and Tirasfell would be in ruins if Maeryn came back to take what was rightfully hers. He knew that Hahrutyne would not let the Queen fail against his own Daemonic Diety.