what MMOs is anyone playing?

Started by boogop, July 05, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogop

Been on SWTOR and I've enjoyed it, but I think I've taken that one about as far as I care to. It's a good game, though.
Currently playing vanilla WOW (12x XP rate so you never have any money or gear, but it sure is fun playing through it again. It's pre-Burning Crusade, which IMO started a long downhill slide for WOW. Vanilla's great, though every PVP moron in the solar system is there)

So I'm basically MMO-less! What do you have going on?

- did RIFT, liked a lot of it but didn't hold my interest
- LOTRO, tried it, meh
- wish someone would remake Asheron's Call
- not sure what to make of EQNext (or whatev) but I don't think anyone else does either
- I don't trust the hype around elder scrolls
- I don't trust games from funcom because they seem to be in serious financial trouble--that said, they did one of my favorites, AO
Gee that's a large beetle.
I wonder if it's poisonous?

Sel Nar

Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, And, for PvP Shenanigans, Mechwarrior Online and World of Tanks.

Wicked Vixen

SWTOR!!! It is freakin addicting lol
The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

kylie

I've been playing Chrono Tales casually.  It's a pretty lite game, really.  You can run it in a web browser.  Nice if you like automated fighting and some anime style characters.

Used to play Rift.  (Is largely free now?)  Thinking about going back if I have time and if the network can handle it here.   

SinXAzgard21

I'm playing the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn beta.  Couldn't stick with Neverwinter or The Secret World.  I hate WoW and SWTOR with undying passion.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Sel Nar

Quote from: KaylaM on July 06, 2013, 10:04:11 AM
Considering going bavk to SWTOR for poops and giggles and see if it stopped sucking myself

Still Sucks; only now that it's gone Free to play, unless you pay for everything, the game actively hates you.

Chris Brady

Seeing as I play SWTOR...  I find that it 'sucking' (other than being subjective) is hard to actually see.

Yes, the F2P restrictions are annoying, but you should see what they do to you in DCUO.  It's not perfect, but at least they're trying.  It's biggest crime is copying the original WoW formula.  But at the same time, I've actually been in a party of ALL Bounty Hunters and still have the 'holy trinity' in an instance.  It's fun if you really like Star Wars, but that's all it's got.

Still, it had more content within 6 months than WoW had in two years, and it's been increasing since.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Chris Brady

And before then, SWTOR added more raids, and content for FREE before they made a $20 expansion ($10 if you were a sub), they've had Heroic Modes for their dungeons from day one.

Like I said, the biggest crime SWTOR has is copying WoW's formula, and yes, that is bad.  But they are trying to give you your money's worth as a sub.  On the other hand, I agree that their F2P options are horrible.

But the real reason to keep subbing is dependent on how much you love Star Wars, really.  And that's why I do.  I love the setting with an irrationality I can't seem to explain.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 07, 2013, 08:27:25 AM
And before then, SWTOR added more raids, and content for FREE before they made a $20 expansion ($10 if you were a sub), they've had Heroic Modes for their dungeons from day one.

Like I said, the biggest crime SWTOR has is copying WoW's formula, and yes, that is bad.  But they are trying to give you your money's worth as a sub.  On the other hand, I agree that their F2P options are horrible.

But the real reason to keep subbing is dependent on how much you love Star Wars, really.  And that's why I do.  I love the setting with an irrationality I can't seem to explain.

Free because no one would pay for it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on July 07, 2013, 12:40:25 PM
Free because no one would pay for it.
and yet, World of Warcraft makes you pay for it.  And that's OK.  Why?

ofDelusions

Beta testing Age of Wulin. Thus far low level experience hasn't been really fun, but I'll reserve judgement until I get to actual pvp.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: KaylaM on July 07, 2013, 10:56:48 PM
Because SWtoR's F2P model is based around punishing the player until they cough up the cash. Playing at pure F2P is a painful experience, with the game going out of the way to tell you all the things you're missing out on because you're not a subscriber. And even if you go purchase something, you still get hit with a range of heavy-handed penalties and constant reminders of said penalties until you subscribe.

It's also only a model that they went to out of desperation when the game lost 75-80% of it's subscriber base within its first nine months and a need to recoup some of the $200+ million they'd allready sunk into a colossal turkey. Added to that is the cartel market which basically becomes a "pay to win" market. You can buy gear upgrades, XP boosts and other things that will improve your character. Want a level 50 quality saber crystal at level 10? Go for it! Just cough up the cash.

Now yes, WoW's subscriber base is in decline. It's shed some 25-35% from its peak, but that's on a game that's some eight years old. It is, however, still insanely profitable and as such doesn't need an F2P option. And while yes, it has a store, none of the items in it are a) essential b) giving your character in-game advantages or c) selling actual wepaons/armour/equipment

Well, that pretty much sums it up.

sleepingferret

The color crystals being sold on the Cartel Market in SWTOR are for all intents and purposes purely for looks.  Sure they do give players access to the currently maximum level stats for a color crystal at level 10, when normally said crystal is not available until level 50+.  But if a color crystal makes or breaks anyone in SWTOR, they should reconsider playing the game to begin with.

The other Cartel Market items are cosmetic items, speeders, XP boosts, and unlocks that F2P players can purchase if they so choose to get access to things without having to pay a continual subscription fee.  Now, some of the cosmetic armor sets are "fully functional" and are all modded out, so players can just equip them and go.  But 99% of the Cartel armor sets are just "skeletons" and for customizing your characters' looks.

I've been a SWTOR subscriber since the game's release, and while yes I've done my share of grumbling and griping about Bioware's inability to fix this bug or that...or having "fixed" bugs reappear.  But overall I've enjoyed the game experience, and despite what this person or that person may say...how an individual is going to judge the class stories is up to that individual.

In the grand scheme, it is a game for those who enjoy Star Wars and want to watch lightsabers clash and blaster fire wizz by their characters.  I also believe players would get more out of the game, especially first time players if they took the time to watch the quest cinematics.  Having seen them at least once, makes me smile every time I go through some of the repeatable quests, knowing what's going to happen next. 

Saerrael

Quote from: boogop on July 05, 2013, 11:04:31 PM
Been on SWTOR and I've enjoyed it, but I think I've taken that one about as far as I care to. It's a good game, though.
Currently playing vanilla WOW (12x XP rate so you never have any money or gear, but it sure is fun playing through it again. It's pre-Burning Crusade, which IMO started a long downhill slide for WOW. Vanilla's great, though every PVP moron in the solar system is there)

So I'm basically MMO-less! What do you have going on?

I am playing Neverwinter, though... I must admit, only for the Foundry. The game, on itself, isn't 'enough' for me.

kylie

I've peeked back at Rift (on Faeblight server) and it looks like they've done some effort to clean up souls (character abilities) at least. Haven't gotten to the Storm Legion content yet (still downloading it all, anyway -- over 10 gb for everything).  Just redoing my character souls to catch up with the updates.  May be looking for a largish guild that supports leveling 50-60 (and ideally some raids).     

I think Chrono Tales may have started fading out hard.  I came back after a week or two away, and the server I'm on (which used to be three servers, but whatever) is kind of a ghost town.  There are some long-time, very strong players (possibly pay to play, I dunno) still there...  And a few things in the market, but the prices are steep. 

One qualification: I don't always play at the most obvious time for my time zone and the region of the server.  But that wasn't much of a problem before. 

Sad, because it's a very pretty game with soothing music and easy to play.  But they've had complaints for a long time that the pay items are overpowered and there is not enough content/dynamic for the higher levels (50-70 I think).  I'd like to stay with it if they could get the population stable again, or maybe if I can switch servers.  But kind of resting for now.

Kazyth

I played Rift when it first came out, but I gave it a rest because the souls thing kinda made it too easy for a few characters to Jack of All Trades it.  I might consider going back if they've been working on fixing it.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

kylie

Quote from: Kazyth on July 12, 2013, 09:06:29 PM
I played Rift when it first came out, but I gave it a rest because the souls thing kinda made it too easy for a few characters to Jack of All Trades it.  I might consider going back if they've been working on fixing it.

I'm not sure if they really made the classes completely balanced -- maybe just a little easier to figure out builds for?  But I'm still getting my feet wet again, so nothing certain.  Also, I don't PVP so I don't really consider that angle much.

I'm redoing the pyrolock, and have read the usual arguments about that one (it's either really hard to play well, or awesome depending on where you look -- haven't found all the most really up to date debate yet, though).

You can still rogue tank (although I think that is pretty good to have for forming groups in a timely manner -- not everyone wants to level a warrior).  And I believe there is still the chloromancer damage-to-heals factor.  They tweaked it so that the damage is based on ability cast time, not on the damage output of abilities.  I haven't gotten to playing much yet, so not sure if it's as powerful as it was. 

Paragon is not a dual wield specialty so much as single target, or so I've read -- not sure I see the point of that exactly, but it might make some dps warrior builds less uber?  For that matter, they reduced the max number of targets for some warriors' threat.     

Sara Nilsson

Eve online. :) Hey someone has to represent the dirty griefer group of MMO players out there :)

Lowsec pirate (Shadow Cartel) and proud of it.

Jezabelle

Quote- wish someone would remake Asheron's Call

I heard tell from an iRL friend subscribers to the original Asheron's Call (current one, it's still going) get free access to the new, rebuilt AC2.  Totally new world, redid the mechanics, still in a protracted beta/Alpha-stage.

That said I played lots of APB.  My internet sucked for a long time and when I went back the lag was terrible, but the sheer level of kustomization available-- even to freebies like me-- was awesome.  Other than that it's a game where you don't select your target and then hit hotkeys, you actually have attack like in any other game and I think I've come to the realization that no MMO that doesn't do that can hold my attention.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on July 13, 2013, 08:24:37 PM
Eve online. :) Hey someone has to represent the dirty griefer group of MMO players out there :)

You're not griefers.  True griefers hack, steal and cheat the game.  You're just being jerks, but within the rules of the game.  :P  Have fun!

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 13, 2013, 10:12:31 PM
You're not griefers.  True griefers hack, steal and cheat the game.  You're just being jerks, but within the rules of the game.  :P  Have fun!

tell that to this guy Movie Recording 9 he made more videos raging at us but many where later deleted :) many tears where harvested

Kazyth

May have to loon at Rift again then. When I left I was levelling a minstral/ranger hybrid I was enjoying. Most MMOs that I play though I enjoy for RP at least as much as gameplay. Which is why I still miss CoH. Virtue, RIP. Asheron's call never caught me, though I tried it. And EVE... I considered it, but it looked and sounded a lot like Quickbooks with graphics most of the time.  Sadly I find myself in Beta for a game I will not name, that is pretty as all hell... but also very boring and generic feeling, for all of that. Too bad, I was super happy to be in the Beta at first.

To be honest, I want another MMO to fall in love with, but nothing seems to have the magic anymore. Ah well.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on July 13, 2013, 08:24:37 PM

Dropped out because of a griefer who thought it woudl be funny to arbitraily slap a 200 MILLION ISK bounty of someone in mid-sec trying to relearn the game.

Kazyth

Dipping my toes back into Rift, and I have -no- idea what I am doing now.  Going to have to read up on things again.  >_<

Raziel

I'm currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Secret World.