Is there any way to block specific youtube members/videos?

Started by Mithlomwen, November 02, 2016, 12:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithlomwen

I am having some issues with my youngest watching some inappropriate things on Youtube.  We've gone round the mulberry bush again and again with him, and nothing seems to work. 

So since everyone knows I'm technologically challenged, I'm in desperate need of help. 

Is there any way that I can block him from watching the stuff?  There are a couple of youtubers he watches that are the sources of inappropriate stuff, so I was wondering if there's a way to block those specific videos, or the youtubers themselves? 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Beguile's Mistress

Oniya

Does he use headphones while browsing?  As 'non-tech' as it sounds, having the computer in a main room and confiscating the headphones can be a deterrent (as Mom can now hear what he's listening to.)  We've done this a couple times to Little Oni for paying more attention to YouTube rather than the computer-based school assignment she should have been doing.

Yes, this means that I can now recite large portions of Crash Course from memory, but things could be worse.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 02, 2016, 12:13:47 PM
See if the following link gives you what you need.

http://www.guidingtech.com/5303/youtube-safety-block-adult-videos/

Good luck.:-)

Thank you BeMi,  :-)  I'll have a looksee. 

Quote from: Oniya on November 02, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
Does he use headphones while browsing?  As 'non-tech' as it sounds, having the computer in a main room and confiscating the headphones can be a deterrent (as Mom can now hear what he's listening to.)  We've done this a couple times to Little Oni for paying more attention to YouTube rather than the computer-based school assignment she should have been doing.

Yes, this means that I can now recite large portions of Crash Course from memory, but things could be worse.

Well, the problem is, that he watches youtube on the xbox 360s.  One xbox is out in the garage (in his dad's man cave), one xbox is upstairs in the bedroom, and the other is in Diva Child's room.  So that means they are all out of earshot for me. 

I don't want to block youtube entirely, as most of the stuff he watches is just fine.  It's just a couple of channels that he cannot seem to stop watching that are the sources of the problem.  :/
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Magali

Here's a video about an extension on chrome (there's also one for firefox) that does that.

The problem is that most likely he will bypass or disable it somehow. (kids are smart when they want to)
I suggest you try to talk with him and convince him.
Blocking some channels might be only a short solution while making him understand that's wrong or bad for him could be a lot more profitable in the long run.

Good luck :)

Welcome To That Dark Place In My Mind!

Vekseid

Is blocking Youtube from only the XBox devices an option? That's somewhat easier and can be done at your router.

Oniya

Looks like two of the consoles are at least nominally 'someone else's'  (Mr. Mith's and Diva's), so that would prevent them from watching YouTube on the devices as well.  Also, most of the tech-based methods I've seen involve setting controls on the restricted party's account - if Little Man is on with someone else's log-in (particularly likely on the man-cave and sister's room consoles), then any of these could fail.