Explosions Rock the Boston Marathon

Started by ShadowFox89, April 15, 2013, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Trieste

Oh, yes, federal custody is wonderful for this guy's health.

Massachusetts law does not impose capital punishment.

Federal law does.

*snarl*

Trieste

Sorry for the double post; we apparently posted at the same time.

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on April 19, 2013, 08:06:46 PM

Aislinn's image.

... is not working, at least not for me. Even when I copy/paste into a new tab.

gaggedLouise

The image is working for me at every posting, must be something on the path to your display.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Kythia

Trie - its a tweet by @Happy_Gilmore:

QuoteBoston is probably the only major city that if you fuck with them, they will shut down the whole city...stop everything...and find you.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Trieste on April 19, 2013, 08:08:27 PM
Sorry for the double post; we apparently posted at the same time.

... is not working, at least not for me. Even when I copy/paste into a new tab.

Works for me. I think it's just you.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Trieste

Ephiral

Quote from: Trieste on April 19, 2013, 08:07:20 PM
Oh, yes, federal custody is wonderful for this guy's health.

Massachusetts law does not impose capital punishment.

Federal law does.

*snarl*
Not what I meant - what would this guy's honest chances of getting into a courtroom be if he were in a MA prison?

Aislinn

Sorry my picture caused so many problems. =-(

All I have to say is thank God he was taken alive. At least there is a chance to get answers.

"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Oniya

Quote from: Ephiral on April 19, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
Not what I meant - what would this guy's honest chances of getting into a courtroom be if he were in a MA prison?

Oh, he'd be in solit- I mean, protective custody from minute one.  He wouldn't have a good time of it (locked alone in a cell 23/7, one hour for solitary exercise, probably on suicide watch), but I think the Boston PD would make sure he had his day in court.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Quote from: Ephiral on April 19, 2013, 08:15:15 PM

I'm sorry, my sarcasm wasn't directed at you in particular. I don't know what his chances are/would be but I don't think "He'll just die in prison anyway so we'll put him in the path of a punishment that is specifically not carried out by the place in which the attacks took place in order to preserve his life" ...

... is really all that great as far as logic goes.

I did mention to you that he'd essentially have to spend his life in solitary - and, frankly, that satisfies my personal thirst for vengeance just fine, actually.

gaggedLouise

Read somewhere online the memories of a UK soldier from the time his unit were given guard duty on Rudolf Hess - at that time the one and only inmate in the fortress of Spandau in NW Berlin. Their instructions ran "No smoking and no talking to Hess" even if few of them would even get closer to him than watching his strolls in the prison yard from one of the guard towers.

I can definitely see the same kind of instructions applying to this guy, after he gets sentenced.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

AllieCat

Thank God it's over. This whole week has me stressed out so much that I've just been, what's the word, drifting, detatched? Doesn't help my fiancee has been in California for a work class.. being able to talk to himover the phone is nice, but nothing beats you know, a cuddle when I need one? ANd trust me, I need one right now. This week.. I can't even.. I should stop now, sorry.

Aiden

I really think this thread needs a few smiles, I have been following the news (mostly via Reddit). Man I saw some things I wish I didn't see, Reddit is not afraid to post some very graphic things, from the images at the moment of the bombing (It just made me want to wish I didn't click) to the live feeds of the capture of both suspects.

I can only imagine what the people who call this city home.
Prayers/wishes out to the people and the community.

Aislinn

I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Beguile's Mistress

*pushes Aiden in the pool and laughs*

*flees*

AllieCat

*helps Aiden out of the pool and hands him a towel..*

*then pushes him back in*

*GIGGLES HAPPILY*

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

AllieCat

*meeps*

meanie! *decides to float around and relax, since she's already wet, and her one towel went in the pool with Aiden*

Dashenka

Funny how it's world news when two Chezhnyan's bomb Boston but a lot of people seem to forget that in Russia, hundreds if not thousands have been killed by Chezhnya's bomb squad (Beslan school, Metro system, airport). I really hope that the US and Russia together can stop this group of seperatists from bombing more places and killing more people cause as they have proven, they are not only a danger to Russia anymore.

Glad they got one alive though and glad for the people in Boston that it's over now. Hope they can get on with their lives.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

ShadowFox89

Honestly? I wouldn't put it past Putin to have set the two boys up.

But that's my cynical, tired side talking.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dashenka

Quote from: consortium11 on April 19, 2013, 06:06:02 PM
The number is almost certainly in the thousands; there were around 700 deaths from the apartment bombings and Beslan alone, let alone the slightly less high profile subways bombs, bombs on planes, bombings of government buildings and the like. And that's without looking into the somewhat grey area where organised crime and terrorism interweave.

It's also worth noting that a significant number of the foiled terrorists plots over the past few years have featured terrorists from Chechnya, Dagestan and other Soviet republics.

The Russian situation will be interesting, partly because there will be legitimate groups looking to use the occasion to hold protests as well. Russia will have to balance giving them reasonable freedom (albeit such freedom is always restricted during events such as this) and the security situation.

I wouldn't call the subway bombs less high profile then Beslan. Maybe in the world it was but in Moscow it certainly wasn't. Beslan is about a thousand kilometers away from Moscow and nobody really cares about that region of Russia anyway. Moscow though is the heart of Russia. Plus I was a bit too close for comfort that day.

Putin might have turned into a bit of a creepy guy but he wouldn't have recruited the boys himself. There's no point in aggrevating the US. Russia's doing a lot better in almost every way that matters for Russians than the US. (Note: Freedom of press is not (yet) a big issue for Russians)

However, the leader of Chezhnya is supported by the Russian government in order to keep them happy and they got billions of dollars to spend. So in potential, they might be a bigger threat than Al Qaida and the Taliban were.

As for the Olympics in Sochi, I think the 'criminals' are smart enough not to try anything. Everybody in the world will be watching and the moment they do anything, the entire Russian army will come down onto their little speck of paradise and erase them from the map. There's nobody in Russia or the world who will care about them even a little bit.

Aislinn

Quote from: Dashenka on April 20, 2013, 03:32:15 AM
Funny how it's world news when two Chezhnyan's bomb Boston but a lot of people seem to forget that in Russia, hundreds if not thousands have been killed by Chezhnya's bomb squad (Beslan school, Metro system, airport).

Once again, I don't think anyone is forgetting that. Perhaps the people that never knew it in the first place....but certainly not the world at large. I take exception to the idea that just because this happened in the U.S, we are making a big deal out of it. Not saying that's what you were doing but certainly some people have taken that tone. I just think the very idea is a bit unfair.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Dashenka

Quote from: Aislinn on April 20, 2013, 03:57:32 AM
Once again, I don't think anyone is forgetting that. Perhaps the people that never knew it in the first place....but certainly not the world at large. I take exception to the idea that just because this happened in the U.S, we are making a big deal out of it. Not saying that's what you were doing but certainly some people have taken that tone. I just think the very idea is a bit unfair.

I think some people did take that tone but for good reason. For example, a friend of mine who lives in the Netherlands was watching a movie. They interrupt the movie for an extra news bulletin. Had it happened in Mexico or Russia or Africa, they wouldn't have interrupted the movie.
It's a terrorist act on US soil so the whole world stops and cares. Not saying it's the fault of the US. Not at all it's just how the world works. That explosion in Texas the other days (more death, bigger explosion) wasn't even on the news. So it's understandable that some people are a bit biased.

It's what I meant with my previous comment. The world hasn't forgot about Beslan and other bombings, they just don't care as much as when it happens in the US, for which again, the US is not to blame.

Bloodied Porcelain

There was an earth quake in China within an hour of them catching the second bomber, but none of the major networks so much as mentioned the 100+ people who died in that, or the one in Iran earlier in the day that killed people. The bottom line is... if it happens in the US, it's treated and seen as more important, which is bull. A human life is a human life, and the region in which a person lives does not make their death more important than another elsewhere.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.