Keep flyin' - Firefly 10th Anniversary Panel at ComicCon

Started by Avis habilis, July 17, 2012, 07:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

Highlights include Jose Molina talking about writing space western, Baldwin revealing the origin of the Jayne hat, & Whedon explaining why Fillion was the captain of the show, not just the ship.

Firefly 10th Anniversary Panel

Features what may be the only use in history of "Canadian" as a synonym for "assertive".

I'm from Manitoba, so I get to say that.

Ridcully

Will

I've never been much of a Joss Whedon fan, generally, but that was a truly great show while it lasted.  Probably because the casting and acting were so damned good.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Kendra

Avis you're all shades of awesome!
Thank you for posting this.
think I got as emotional as Summer Glau did
:'(
I have the movie and have the entire series and want the books so bad but really really wish they had continued the series.
One of the best there ever was
<3

Shjade

Man, they are masters at talking without actually answering the questions they're asked. Clearly some of these folks should go into politics.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Shjade on July 17, 2012, 10:31:48 AM
Man, they are masters at talking without actually answering the questions they're asked. Clearly some of these folks should go into politics.

LOL!!  I agree with everyone, it's a shame we no longer have this series.  But I am glad to have it on DVD!  XD
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

MortalGlimpse

Thank you so much for posting. I absolutely love Firefly! It's one of the greatest low-budget (wow, did not know it had a smaller budget than Buffy) shows ever!
Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all, but lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Will on July 17, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
I've never been much of a Joss Whedon fan, generally, but that was a truly great show while it lasted.  Probably because the casting and acting were so damned good.

Said this before, but according to the DVD box, Mr. Whedon only wrote two episodes, only one of which was actually aired.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Will

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 18, 2012, 03:11:26 PM
Said this before, but according to the DVD box, Mr. Whedon only wrote two episodes, only one of which was actually aired.

Ahaha.  Well, that explains a bit, for me.  I LOVED Firefly.  Every role was so perfectly cast, every line so perfectly delivered.  I'm not really one of those who wishes it had gone on and on and on, but I do think it's a classic.

- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

What I found interesting was the year it and futurama came out.. both show creators had runaway successes but the Studio kept meddling with both shows. Time slot changes, pre-empting, in the case of Firefly changing the play order. It was like the execs wanted both shows to fail.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 18, 2012, 10:11:55 PM
What I found interesting was the year it and futurama came out.. both show creators had runaway successes but the Studio kept meddling with both shows. Time slot changes, pre-empting, in the case of Firefly changing the play order. It was like the execs wanted both shows to fail.
Given Fox's habits, this is very likely.  However, to say that FF was a runaway success isn't entirely true.  If it really was as popular as the fans wish it was, then it would have pulled a Family Guy.  That show got cancelled TWICE (if I remember rightly) and the fans were numerous enough to get it back on the air.   Neither Futurama, nor Firefly can say that.

If Firefly had gotten more exposure (I mean, only 11 of the 13 episodes made were ever aired, Futurama had like...  A season under it before it got pooched) it might have really flown, or it might not, we really don't know.  What we do know it is that the fans it does have are very vocal.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 18, 2012, 10:19:45 PM
Given Fox's habits, this is very likely.  However, to say that FF was a runaway success isn't entirely true.  If it really was as popular as the fans wish it was, then it would have pulled a Family Guy.  That show got cancelled TWICE (if I remember rightly) and the fans were numerous enough to get it back on the air.   Neither Futurama, nor Firefly can say that.

If Firefly had gotten more exposure (I mean, only 11 of the 13 episodes made were ever aired, Futurama had like...  A season under it before it got pooched) it might have really flown, or it might not, we really don't know.  What we do know it is that the fans it does have are very vocal.

The fan movement didn't really take off till the DVD set came out..which set some sort of record when it first came out.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 18, 2012, 10:27:52 PM
The fan movement didn't really take off till the DVD set came out..which set some sort of record when it first came out.
At which point it was too late to bring it back.  Which is a pity.  I mean, I don't care for it, but the amount of love it seems to get makes me sad it didn't get the attention it deserves...

Will

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 18, 2012, 10:27:52 PM

Which is what led to them getting the chance to do the Serenity movie to wrap things up.  As I understand it, they destroyed all the sets and stuff after they finished it, so there was pretty much no chance of continuing after that.

- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on July 18, 2012, 10:57:47 PM
Which is what led to them getting the chance to do the Serenity movie to wrap things up.  As I understand it, they destroyed all the sets and stuff after they finished it, so there was pretty much no chance of continuing after that.

The Fan Movie was pretty good.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Will on July 18, 2012, 10:57:47 PM

That would explain a lot of things, actually.  I remember getting the impression that Mr. Whedon wanted to move on from the series, and destroying sets (something only done when either the creator or the studio in control does want to end the series, franchise what have you) would imply that Mr. Whedon wanted to move on from the project.

Again, that's a pity, because it really should have gotten more time to either really be the hit it was meant to be, or burn out like the fad it was meant to be.

Robelwell202

Okay...  soooo...   the post from the newbie.

Strange enough, but true, I'm the guy that always catches onto things late.  I was late with ST:TNG (Yes, I think it was a good show!), I was what some could consider 'late' with the original Star Wars trilogy (Since I was a very young kid at the time ''A New Hope' came out, I didn't really catch on 'til later), and about six months ago, I finally caught onto the greatness that is the newer 'Battlestar Galactica'.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago.  Our hero (Me),sitting in his chair, is IM'ing with a good friend, who asks if he's ever seen 'Firefly'.  'No...' sez our hero.  'I've heard of it, but never saw any of it.'

'Look it up.'  The friend sez.  'It's pretty good.'

Our hero, slightly intrigued, decides to give it a try.  he finds the first ep on an Internet page, and watches it.  WHOA!!  It's got a lot of good stuff!  A couple of gorgeous women  (Kaylee and Inara), some descent plot elements, good acting, good score, and some decidedly smart humor!  Our hero's impressed!!

Turns out, everyone else our Hero knows already knows about Firefly, and the subsequent film 'Serenity'!  WHAT?!?  Why didn't our hero know about this sooner????

Better late than never, yes?  Ten years after the fact, and I can safely call myself an apprentice Browncoat.

(Thank you, Warm Fusion, for the pointer!)
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Shjade

Quote from: Robelwell202 on July 18, 2012, 11:16:58 PM
Turns out, everyone else our Hero knows already knows about Firefly, and the subsequent film 'Serenity'!  WHAT?!?  Why didn't our hero know about this sooner????

Because he's actually the comic relief sidekick? >.>
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.