What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on March 26, 2016, 01:19:45 PM
Well, I'm not sure I agree completely here. I can perfectly understand that the CC might consider some group's beliefs to be uncompatible with the Catholic doctrine. But it's one thing to say "Sorry, you can't believe both on our faith and belief X" and another to paint that other group as utterly depraved, out to destroy the society etc. And that's what the CC's teaching on Freemasons has been across the centuries...

It's honestly not much different than how they portray other Christian sects, if you look at those same centuries - for a lot longer than the Freemasons have been around, for that matter. It wasn't until 1959, in Vatican II, that the CC was officially willing to consider non-Catholic Christians as anything other than hell-bound heretics.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 26, 2016, 04:07:38 AM
According to Wikipedia, the original reason for the prohibition was that Freemasonry supposedly taught a 'naturalistic, deific religion' that contradicted Catholic doctrine. That's almost certainly the root of the issue; not some sort of nebulous fear of 'truth' or a desire to crush their secular competition, but plain and simple that it - like every organized religion - requires its followers to hold to the 'party line'. It's no different than the Catholic Church prohibiting its members from simultaneously being Protestants. Freemasons themselves apparently disagree, but they're not the ones issuing the ban, so it's not relevant how they feel about the conflict.

*nods*  Freemasonry (based on what I've been able to research about it - including a visit to the Masonic Temple in the DC area) acknowledges the existence of God, but doesn't go much farther than that.  It's somewhere north of agnosticism under the traditional meaning of the word - agnosis 'absence of knowledge', compared to atheos 'absence of God'.  The whole 'who brought you out of Egypt and there are no others above [Him]' thing isn't explicitly stated, so there's no direct connection with the God of the Old or New Testament.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

The thing to keep in mind about excommunication is that to Catholics ( traditionally ), it means a permanent ban from entering heaven and joining another christian church does not get you past this as they were seen as invalid. It's equivalent to being commissioned to hell with all the Protestants, Jews, Muslims and others who do not obey the Catholic church's authority and meet it's requirements for "salvation." In recent decades, the Catholic church has softened this considerably but it's members have mixed views about it. Not all Catholics see things the same way.

Threatening a person to stay within a religious group with the threat of eternal damnation is just plain evil.

TheGlyphstone

Except for the bit where if you've outright left said religious group, it's likely because you don't believe in their teachings anymore anyways, so the threat is empty air to you. The only people who put any stock in its validity are the ones who it doesn't apply to, the faithful within that particular group. It's the religious equivalent of 'you want to leave? fine, but you're never allowed back in'; making sure people who want to leave really want to leave, because a faith doesn't want people who are on the fence about their beliefs. Every major religion in history follows this template to some degree - the stick of 'if you're not with us, you are doomed' to go with the carrot of 'if you are with us, you're saved'.

Oniya

I confuse the heck out of the ones that come to my door and ask me if I'm going to heaven.

'I have every expectation of a favorable afterlife.'

They have no idea if I'm talking Heaven, Nirvana, the Happy Hunting Grounds, the Elysian Fields, or fertilizing a tree.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lustful Bride

*Hopped upon the chocolate rabbit*

Well this thread was an interesting read :P anyway I just wanted to wish everyone a happy Easter. May God bless you all and try not to get too many cavities from Easter Candy.... its too late for me T_T *nom another rabbit*

TheGlyphstone

Monday is my third-favorite holiday of the year.

Oniya

Right up there with Nov. 1 and Feb. 15?

TheGlyphstone

Exactly. ;D In that order, even.

Beorning

Back here, Monday is the holiday when we throw water at people  ;D

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on March 26, 2016, 06:08:54 PM
Back here, Monday is the holiday when we throw water at people  ;D

Wet T Shirt contest or nationwide water balloon fight?

Lustful Bride

Anteros

Some good news for a change!
Several hundreds Boko Haram hostages freed: http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/nigerian-army-rescues-800-boko-haram-hostages/
US prohibits imprisoning transgender inmates in cells based on birth anatomy: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/24/transgender-prison-gender-identity-anatomy-doj-rules
ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 26, 2016, 02:10:35 PM
Except for the bit where if you've outright left said religious group, it's likely because you don't believe in their teachings anymore anyways, so the threat is empty air to you. The only people who put any stock in its validity are the ones who it doesn't apply to, the faithful within that particular group. It's the religious equivalent of 'you want to leave? fine, but you're never allowed back in'; making sure people who want to leave really want to leave, because a faith doesn't want people who are on the fence about their beliefs.

With religions that do not teach that their way is the only way, I would agree. One could just leave it and find another club or start their own. That is not the case with Catholicism and excommunication.

QuoteEvery major religion in history follows this template to some degree - the stick of 'if you're not with us, you are doomed' to go with the carrot of 'if you are with us, you're saved'.

Are we saying the ends justify the means or that it's moral if everyone else does it? I would agree that it's common practice and a very effective tool for herding people like sheep, but in my view, it's still morally wrong and quite dangerous.

TheGlyphstone

Neither, I was just saying that it's not something exclusive to the CC, but a feature that a great many religions have in common. CC is just the most formal about the one-way door policy.

Kythia

Is this definitely about what's in the news?

TheGlyphstone

At this point, probably not. I'm not sure it's worth a separate thread though.

gaggedLouise

The state Syrian army say they have fully retaken the city of Palmyra, inflicting a serious defeat on ISIS. Syrian archaeological authorities are vowing to rebuild the famous Roman temples that ISIS blew up last year.

I'm not sure a full reconstruction is the thing to do if those monuments were destroyed beyond any meaningful recovery, and it looks like they were (from aerial images). It would mean window dressing in a way, and there are more urgent things to do in Syria. Lots of monuments, castles and churches were rebuilt in Europe after 1945 of course, but in most of those cases they had not been burnt to the ground and flattened. Perhaps leaving the temple platforms in place and setting up memorials to what was once there and to the people who died during the siege or were killed by ISIS after they had rolled into town, would be a better idea. Just my two cents...but it's great of course that ISIS are being repelled.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 27, 2016, 03:16:06 AM
The state Syrian army say they have fully retaken the city of Palmyra, inflicting a serious defeat on ISIS. Syrian archaeological authorities are vowing to rebuild the famous Roman temples that ISIS blew up last year.

I'm not sure a full reconstruction is the thing to do if those monuments were destroyed beyond any meaningful recovery, and it looks like they were (from aerial images). It would mean window dressing in a way, and there are more urgent things to do in Syria. Lots of monuments, castles and churches were rebuilt in Europe after 1945 of course, but in most of those cases they had not been burnt to the ground and flattened. Perhaps leaving the temple platforms in place and setting up memorials to what was once there and to the people who died during the siege or were killed by ISIS after they had rolled into town, would be a better idea. Just my two cents...but it's great of course that ISIS are being repelled.

Their days are numbered, its only a matter of time until they are completely destroyed. It cant come soon enough if you ask me, ISIS is pretty much the modern day Nazi regime but with a different coat of paint.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Anteros on March 26, 2016, 08:49:04 PM
Some good news for a change!
Several hundreds Boko Haram hostages freed: http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/nigerian-army-rescues-800-boko-haram-hostages/
US prohibits imprisoning transgender inmates in cells based on birth anatomy: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/24/transgender-prison-gender-identity-anatomy-doj-rules

Waiting for Texas or Arkansas or Louisiana to overturn the second one based on "Gobnert can't tell us what do!"
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Scribbles

News Link

I've been pacing a hole into the ground after reading this, I just can't understand how anyone can reasonably believe that slaughtering children, celebrating a peaceful event, advances some kind of cause...

It's so frustrating to know that this isn't even the end, that it's just going to happen again and again and again and again, for who knows how long...
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

TheGlyphstone

Depends on what you consider a cause. "Killing everyone who disagrees with us" is advanced by stuff like this. A stupid and horrible cause, but technically a cause.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Scribbles on March 27, 2016, 09:39:25 PM
News Link

I've been pacing a hole into the ground after reading this, I just can't understand how anyone can reasonably believe that slaughtering children, celebrating a peaceful event, advances some kind of cause...

It's so frustrating to know that this isn't even the end, that it's just going to happen again and again and again and again, for who knows how long...

Yep, it's an absolute disgrace.  >:(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"