Arpeggio of Blue Steel Recruitment Thread (new Players welcome!)

Started by Mac84, January 16, 2014, 08:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac84

This is a recruitment thread for a Group RP set in the Arpeggio of Blue Steel Universe.

The Story surrounds a group of Fleet of Fog that are ordered to guard a tiny Supply Base in the middle of Pacific. Basically, they're there to be kept out of the way of the rest of the Fleet of Fog as they Blockade the oceans of the world.

The Group is compromised of Post WWI, WWI Refits, and Pre-WWII ships. They patrol the waters around the island and make sure that no one unauthorized approaches. At the end of each Patrol, the report is sent by the Flagship (A distinction that is won before each patrol by a game of Rock, paper, Scissors) to some mysterious Contact. Regardless of the report's contents. The Reply is always "Report Received. Carry on as ordered."

Then one day, no reply comes. Simply empty static. What do these Ships do now? Continue on as Ordered, or take initiative to investigate the disappearance of their "Contact". Thus leaving the Island (Which has absolutely no strategic value what's so ever), and setting course for the open ocean. Not sure what they will find.

Any class, and nationality of ship will be available so long as they're Post WWI, WWI Refit, or Pre-WWII. No Super ships (Yamato, Iowa, Bismark, Etc.)

Yukina

I might join. May you describe the world to me a bit more?

Major Major

I can field that for you, chief.

The basic premise is that it is the mid-2050's. Global Warming and Climate Change has caused the world's sea levels to rise by as much as 20 metres in some places.

And if that was not bad enough, a strange and mysterious power, "The Fleet Of Fog", has driven mankind from the seas, and is blockading every mile of coastline, preventing mankind from crossing the oceans by sea or air.

The Fleet of Fog itself is a grand mystery; on the surface they look like WWII-era battleships, aircraft carriers, submarines etc. But scratch the surface, and they reveal that they are AI-controlled super-warships that would give Trek a run for it's money; indeed, you could almost call them Von Neumann Machines that have adopted the guise of famous warships like Yamato and Bismarck. But even the Fog themselves don't know of their origins, or why they have been ordered to drive humanity from the seas; and the Supreme Flagship of the Fleet, Yamato (well, yeah, it's a Japanese series, so of course most of the characters are going to be Japanese), she knows that sooner or later, Mankind will develop a way to defeat the Fleet of Fog's incredable armour and weapons, and use their superior Tactical Genius to defeat the Fog, and avenge the loss of the Great Naval Battle of 2039.

And thus, are the Mental Models created; human avatars and personifications of each Fog ship (though under normal circumstances, only ships of Heavy Cruiser size and greater have the processing power to manifest a mental model), created to limit themselves, to understand human concepts, and learn....

Mac84

Thank you Major for the explanation, and yes. that is it in a nut shell. There is a Manga Series, and an 13 episode Anime Series out on it surrounding an I-400 Class Submarine/Aircraft Carrier, and her Human Captain GUnzo

Yukina

Seems interesting. Any flagships that'd fit meek characters?

Major Major

And, naturally, it has a wiki.

And here it is

And here are links to two different sites that carry the scanlations.

Major Major

Quote from: Yugishogun on January 16, 2014, 04:26:27 PM
Seems interesting. Any flagships that'd fit meek characters?

Well, the world is pretty open to choose from, though it's best to check the wiki to see what ships have already been seen in-series. And it also depends on which navy you want to use ships from.

Yukina

Well, I know I'd prefer to pick a Japanese ship, but I'm not that much of a history buff to tell which one would qualify as meek.

Major Major

Well, you don't really need to know the histories of the ships involved; they're not reincarnations of the WWII vessels.

As for a Japanese ship, how about the Takao-class heavy cruiser Chokai?

Yukina

Major Major

Oh, and speaking of Takao-class ships, here's a brief precis of each of the three ships of that class that we've been introduced to so far, so as you can get an idea of how different Fog ships can be from each other:

Takao: A bit stuck-up, arrogant and haughty when introduced as a villain, she mellows out once defeated and reveals a dutiful and loyal side to her personality, as well as getting a massive Tsundere crush on the main protaganist, Gunzo Chihaya; she also gains an interest in human culture and way of life in general, and in the relationships between captains and their ships in particular. Her daydreams about Gunzo becoming her captain have to be seen to be believed.

Maya: Maya is.... well.... she's like a kid sister; childish, genki, very sociable and hates it when she feels like she's being ignored or when she has to wait around for something to do. Some find her annoying, but others find her endearing. Her hobbies include playing musical instruments, ranging from the violin, to the piano, to the saxophone, and singing.

Atago: The newest of the three to be introduced, and the one we know least about at present; she appears to be unmotivated, but also a little sulky and rebellious.

Yukina

Glad to see my character can have the meek personality despite having a similar class then. :)

Major Major

Also, when it comes to the Mental Model, all I can say is, have fun; you can make her look like almost anything you want; put her in a schoolgirl uniform, dress her up in a kimono, or punk rocker attire, anything goes.

Yukina

Yukina

Nice. I'll get to work on "Choko" after I catch up on my posts.

Sessha

As a note to everyone the entire Moko-class Cruisers are out of the picture.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

MelisaArtemis

Quote from: Major Major on January 16, 2014, 04:55:13 PM
Oh, and speaking of Takao-class ships, here's a brief precis of each of the three ships of that class that we've been introduced to so far, so as you can get an idea of how different Fog ships can be from each other:

Takao: A bit stuck-up, arrogant and haughty when introduced as a villain, she mellows out once defeated and reveals a dutiful and loyal side to her personality, as well as getting a massive Tsundere crush on the main protaganist, Gunzo Chihaya; she also gains an interest in human culture and way of life in general, and in the relationships between captains and their ships in particular. Her daydreams about Gunzo becoming her captain have to be seen to be believed.

Maya: Maya is.... well.... she's like a kid sister; childish, genki, very sociable and hates it when she feels like she's being ignored or when she has to wait around for something to do. Some find her annoying, but others find her endearing. Her hobbies include playing musical instruments, ranging from the violin, to the piano, to the saxophone, and singing.

Atago: The newest of the three to be introduced, and the one we know least about at present; she appears to be unmotivated, but also a little sulky and rebellious.

And you forgot about Kongo who is cold, has the emotional capacity of a rock and seem to has her own Gravity cannon stuck so far up  her ass that she practically breathes the nanomaterial... well... at least she tries to give that impression.... except she is actually just really REALLY lonely.

Of course, there is also Haruna... which is basically the most whipped Battleship AI anyone will ever see. She can be summed into 2 words: KACHING!! and NOOO!!

Major Major

You seem to know your stuff there, Melissa. Fancy joining us?

MelisaArtemis

I'm familiar with the series but not so much about the ships themselves. I'm not sure if I can play this RP properly, sorry. ^^;

Major Major

No biggie; if you want, I could look up the relevant details for you; I am quite the militaria buff.

MelisaArtemis

What worries me is that the the name for the mental models aren't exactly random. Every single mental models in the series are the names of actual historical ships with the exception of Iona (From what I know the real I-400 submarine was considered unfinished till the end of WWII so it was never given a name). Japanese in particular just love to give their war machines females names (Yamato in contrast to its current use, actually comes from the phrase Yamato Nadeshiko which is the traditional Japanese principle of perfect Japanese beauty)

Mac84

There is a lot of ships on the register, and you don't have to have a Japanese ship if you don't want to. Any class, and Nationality are available.

For example. My Ship is the Arizona, but I've given her the nickname of Ari

Avalon29

Hi Melisa,

I was in the same boat as you, familiar with the series but not the ships. What I did was google battleships in world war 2 and battleships sunk in world war 1. If you are looking looking for suggestions, I found several interesting ships during my own reasearch that I didn't use. The Italian fast battleship Andrea Doria, the French battleship  Lorraine, the French Heavy Cruiser AlgĂ©rie and the German submarine Rhyes.

Major Major

And don't forget, there's a lot of Allied boats you can use; why, just from looking at American Heavy Cruisers alone you have 24 ships to choose from:

*The seven ships of the Astoria/New Orleans-class
*Both Pensacola-class ships
*The six Northampton-class
*The Portland-class pair
*USS Wichita
*The first six Baltimore-class cruisers

MelisaArtemis

well.... I'll consider it. If I am to join though, I call dibs on Shimakaze. She is a small Battle Cruiser, just slightly smaller than Takao class Heavy cruiser but she is actually one of the new vessel that was said to be Japan's secret weapon to overturn the war. She is fitted with 15 torpedo tubes made possible with a one-off steam engine which can produce up to speed 40 knot, making her one of the fastest vessel of the time. Unfortunately, she didn't exactly play a prominent role in the war as when she was finished, Japan was already losing badly. Most of the time she ends up being rescue vessel for the other more prominent ships before finally sunk by the US at the final years of WWII.

Details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Shimakaze_%281942%29

Major Major

Bad news, Melissa, Pen's already bagged the Shimakaze, I'm afraid.

But then again, some of the French destroyers were as fast, if not faster than her, as were the Royal Navy's Abdiel-class; and if you want face-smashing force, nothing says day-ruiner than a Tribal or an Allen M. Sumner.

MelisaArtemis

Who's Pen? I don't see his name on this thread. but o well :)

EDIT: I found him at the OOC / Character Thread. Well, I guess Shimakaze's taken so I'm in quandary rite now. Still though, I see that most of the player plays up to 2 - 4 characters each that rather.... a lot. I don't mind if they can remain active for every one of them, but I think its better to put a limit on how many character a person can play. Call me paranoid but based on experience, having a person playing too many characters tend to 1. deliver substandard post for each of them... unless they are planning to write up to 10 paragraphs each time. 2. Dangerous in the event that if they happen to be away or busy and therefore unable to be active in the RP for extended period of time, the entire RP suffers because they control a large bulk of character roster.

Major Major

Pendarious. The one with the avatar of the brown haired guy with the shiny glasses.

And as I said, some of the French destroyers were as fast, if not faster than her, as were the Royal Navy's Abdiel-class; and if you want face-smashing force in a destroyer, nothing says day-ruiner quite like a Tribal or an Allen M. Sumner.

MelisaArtemis

naah, its nothing that major. I just picked her coz she is small and rather unassuming... that and... well.... I guess my own pride for being a half-japanese XD

Major Major

Hmm... Fair enough; well then, how about a Kagero-class, or a YÅ«gumo-class?

MelisaArtemis

Major Major

Well.... About that.... Yukikaze has already appeared in the manga, so, she's verboten.

MelisaArtemis

Hauuuuuu.... I dunno who to pick then. *Draws circles on the sand*

Avalon29

Maybe the Aoba or the Kinugasa heavy cruiser?

Major Major

And, actually, now that I think about it, we should probably put up a list of ships that are taken, or not available to use due to being in the manga or beyond the cutoff date.

TAKEN:

Fuso-class Battleship Fuso
Hawkins-class heavy cruiser HMS Effingham
Zara-class heavy cruiser RN Zara
Takao-class heavy cruiser Chokai
Mogami-class heavy cruiser Suzuya
Japanese Destroyer Arashi
Japanese Destroyer Shimakaze
USS Texas
USS Arizona
SMS Bayern (WWI Dreadnought)
Submarine I-8

UNAVAILABLE:

Yamato
Musashi
Yukikaze
Kasumi
Bismarck

HMS Repulse
HMAS Vampire
Any of the Kongo-class
Ise
Hyuuga
The Myoko-class
The other Takao-class
I-400
I-401
I-402
U-2501

EDIT; yeah, I think the Aoba and the Kinugasa's are free.

Avalon29

If you want small and assuming the Furutaka and Kako are still free as well. They're both pretty small ships.

MelisaArtemis

What about Suzutsuki, is she available?

Major Major

Yeah, she's free. The only named destroyers in the manga are the Vampire, Kasumi and Yukikaze, and in our game, we've only gotten out the Shimakaze and the Arashi, so, the Suzutsuki is available.

MelisaArtemis

Then Suzutsuki it is then~ I'll get a character sheet up soon. Major, if you can help me find a picture of the vessel and its armaments, that would be awesome, I'm hopeless with that (All I did was look for WWII ship at Wikipedia *Draws circles on the sand at the corner*

Major Major

If you need any help with the particulars of the setting, let me know, ok?

EDIT: Here's a side and top view of the ship in its' 1945 configuration:

This here is a list of her real-life armaments:

8 Ă— 100 mm (4 in)/65 cal DP guns
41 Ă— 25 mm AA guns (7Ă—3 + 20Ă—1)
4 Ă— 610 mm (24 in) torpedo tubes
8 Ă— Type 93 torpedoes
56 Ă— Type 2 depth charges

In the terms of the Fleet of Fog, these translate to:

8 Ă— 100 mm (4 in)/65 cal Duel-Purpose particle cannons
41 Ă— 25 mm rapid-fire particle cannons (anti-aircraft configuration) (7Ă—3 + 20Ă—1)
4 Ă— 610 mm (24 in) torpedo tubes
Numerous VLS missile tubes

And further more, here's some of her specifications:

Class & type:
Akizuki-class destroyer
Displacement:    
2,700 long tons (2,743 t) standard
3,700 long tons (3,759 t) full load
Length:
134.2 m (440 ft 3 in)
Beam:
11.6 m (38 ft 1 in)
Draft:
4.15 m (13 ft 7 in)

Sessha

Well here is another site you can go to if you want to look for more. http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm

MelisaArtemis

Oh and on the side note. I don't have problem with the battleships being of different countries but from what I can see from the series, it seems that even within the FOG, ships of different nationality rarely in contact with each other or even gets along. I could be wrong since so far the number of non-japanese ship we saw in the series can be counted in 1 and a half hands.

Major Major

That's sort of the point of this; we're the second-stringers; the no-hopers; the Mystery Men; the z-grade hopeless cases that were shoved out of sight and out of Mind by the rest of the Fleet to somewhere they can't do any harm.

Only, something will be discovered, and it'll be up to this motley crew of misfits to save the day! Great Movie stuff there.

MelisaArtemis

I see. Btw, I see that we have a character who is not part of the fleet, how does that would work out? I'm asking coz I might be interested on taking that status too. Like... someone who isn't against humans but not really want to work together with them either, something like... tolerance?

Major Major

Well, there's about half a dozen factions within the Fog in the manga, if you've read it

First off, the main Fog faction, lead by the Supreme Flagship, Yamato, who wants the Fog to learn what it means to be human; her intentions are as yet unknown

Then there's the Scarlet Fleet, commanded by Yamato's sister Musashi; they have some humans on their ships, and has recently begun meddling in human matters for reasons that are, once more, unclear

Then there are the 'Rebel' factions; one is lead by Hood, who is opposing the Scarlet Fleet's involvement in human affairs.

Then there are the 'Rogue' ships like Repulse, Haruna, Kirishima and Maya, who are off doing their own thing.

And finally, we have Blue Steel, the protaganists of the manga, centered around I-401, Takao, Hyuuga and one or two human boats.

pendarious

hey major in your list of taken ships you forgot the IJN-Fuso.

Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

spirit weiss

I am life, I am love, I am dreams, I am freedom.
I am silver god Theo!

I am death, I am indifference, I am reality, I am oppression.
I am gray god ell.

Mac84

Sure. :-)

What kind of ship were you thinking of playing?

Sessha

*looks around.* Hmmm I don't see a closed sign on the door so yeah I guess we still. How may I help you in your interest in joining what has become known as the Fleet of the Forgotten.

Welcome to the game. Please check your soul at the door!  ;D ;D ;D >:) >:) >:)

spirit weiss

I was thinking an Iowa class since I was working on one for a super navel wars role play, but would I also be able to use her Gambling partner since the 2 of them are amusing together.

Anya Schwarz - Battleship NJ Mental model.
Theodore Schwarz - One a bet, named her after his deceased sibling because he didn't enjoy calling her New Jersey.
I am silver god Theo!

I am gray god ell.

Mac84

I'm sorry, but I can not allow an Iowa Class. Those are reserved for Fleet Flagships for the North American Fleet of fog ships.

The Fleet composition for this Game is WWI, WWI-Refits/"Modernized", Pre-WWII Designs. These ships are looked at as Deadweight. Hence why they're left in positions of Abandonment.

Generally the cut off time is about 1937-38 roughly. Though you're open to any ship class (Destroyer, Supply Ship, Submarine, Cruiser (light-Heavy), Battleship, Aircraft Carrier)

spirit weiss

I am silver god Theo!

I am gray god ell.

Sessha

Sadly that name has already been taken in the series proper.

Mac84

No, she has been transformed into a Little Girl's Teddy bear.

Most of the Japanese ships have been claimed by either the Manga or one of the other players.

However, you're not restricted to Japanese only. You can go with German, British, Italian, russian, just about any Nation that had a navy during this time period.

Since this story follows the Mangas more than the Anime. that would be a good place for research. Plus it is much better than the Anime.

The only three british vessels that have been spoken for are Repulse, Hood, and Vampire.

The Bismarck also is mentioned in the Manga so she is out as well.

spirit weiss

Oh so no playing as canon ships. that's neat. I only asked because I didn't know if you were doing canon ships as well.

I only know about Japanese, and United states ships.

What about created an original ship from those classes?
I am silver god Theo!

I am gray god ell.

Sessha

Your call on that one Mac. I mean the registers for the world navies at that time are quite large (esp. The US.) Though the Japanese had one destroy class that had like twenty of them.

Sessha

Here is a place you can look up the names of different ships to use for the Japanese anyway. http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm

I haven't found one of the US or British navy sadly.

pendarious

wikipedia is pretty good about having the ships for the varying navies if your extremely clever about your wording
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Mac84

I would like for it to be a ship that actually existed as Blue Steel is doing that with its ships.

So you can chose any ship from any class so long as it fits the Selection criteria.

So since you mentioned Kirishima, All the Kongo Class ships has been called for in canon form. Hiei will be appearing in one of the Movies that do out this summer.

Now if you chose a ship, (example USS Atlanta), and play it, and later it shows up in Canon, we'll disregard that appearance, and figure best way to incorporate it into our story. I will not make you drop your ship should she appear in later canon.

Major Major

I tell you what, Spirit Weiss, I'm a bit of a naval buff, so why don't you tell me what category of ship you want to play, and which navy you'd like it from, and I'll look up a few choices for you to consider.

pendarious

the major is a great source for navy info If I had to be honest he's my go to guy for navy stuff if it's not related to Japan or the US

spirit weiss

At the moment I am interested in Battleships, Military [doesn't matter.]
I am silver god Theo!

I am gray god ell.

Major Major

Battleships, hmm? There's a lot of them, so I'll only list a handful that we could use, starting with Japan and the UK.

In no particular order, we have:

JAPAN
Yamashiro (Fusou-class)

GREAT BRITAIN
Renown (Renown-class)
Revenge, Royal Oak, Resolution, Ramillies, Royal Sovereign (Revenge-class)
Queen Elizabeth, Barham, Warspite, Malaya, Valiant (Queen Elizabeth-class)
Iron Duke (Iron Duke-class)
Centurion (King George V (1911)-class)
Nelson, Rodney (Nelson-class)

I'll list the German, Italian and Russian ones next time, once I've gotten the relevant details.

spirit weiss

so far I read three of those, and only the renown, and the Nelson-class have interested me. the Fusou-class Isn't standing out much.
I am silver god Theo!

I am gray god ell.

Major Major

PART 2

RUSSIA
Petropavlovsk/Marat, Poltava/Frunze, Gangut/Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiy, Sevastopol (Gangut-class) The first name is their names in Imperial Russian service, the second is the new names under Soviet control.

GERMANY
Schleswig-Holstein, Schlesien (Deutschland (1903)-class)
Scharnhorst, Gneisenau (Scharnhorst-class)

ITALY
Conte di Cavour, Leonardo da Vinci, Guilo Cesare (Conte di Cavour-class)
Caio Duilio (Andrea Doria-class)

Next is France, and other minor powers.

Major Major

PART 3

FRANCE
Paris, France (Courbert-class)
Bretagne, Provence, Lorraine (Bretagne-class)
Dunkerque, Strasbourg (Dunkerque-class)

CHILE
Almirante Latorre (Almirante Latorre-class)

There are lots of others too.

Eliteempire

Mac84

Yes it is. ;D

Any questions you would like to ask?

Eliteempire

Kinda, I also only found this site via this Thread. Also before hand, I've Finished the Anime however I have been unable too read the manga but can wiki stuff.

1. Must all mental units be female? I only ask because I'm kind of iffy playing as a female, and German Warships are referred too as male if I remember correctly.
2. What ship's have been taken already?
3. What are the requirements too be part of the Rp exactly?
4. How far into your Rp have you all gotten? I'd hate too join mid way and ruin something.

Major Major

In order of asking:

1. If there are any male Mental Models, we haven't seen them yet- Bismarck has shown up, and is a pair of females.

2. All the ships mentioned in canon have been taken already, as have USS Arizona, USS Texas, HMS Effingham, RM Zara, SMS Bayern, HIJMS Shimakaze, HIJMS Fuso, RFA Abbeydale, and a few others I cannot recall off the top of my head.

3. Just post whenever you can

4. At the moment we're cleaning up after a battle, so you might want to wait a little.

Eliteempire

1. Would that a be a No no then, sense its not been proven or disprove yet? And Bismarck is a female ;-; Germany noooo.

2. Have Both PA-class warships been taken yet or is that too high of a class allowed for PC's?

3. Awesome

4. How long do you think that may or may not take as I've not actually used such a large board before. All the other ones have been at max maybe 20 people.

Avalon29

For number 2 the Arizona has already been taken although the Pennsylvania is free at the moment unless one of the others have something planned that they haven't shared yet. If you want a different ship the only requirement is that it be before WW2 pre-1940s would be best. If they were refit during that time its fine just as long as it was constructed earlier than WW2.

Major Major

So, I think that means that the Scharnhorst and the Gniesenau are available, if you want a German capital ship.

Eliteempire

Major, sense from what I've seen so far. Could you perhaps help me with picking one of the ships then? I know a lot about Carriers and Fletcher class, Tanks and Air craft. But nothing for Navy... What would be a better pick the remaining Pennsylvania - Steel state is best state - Or another? I prefer heavy firepower and armor without regards for Speed and only some fear of Subs.

Also, As for my other questions?

Major Major

Quote from: Eliteempire on April 08, 2015, 05:33:29 PM
Major, sense from what I've seen so far. Could you perhaps help me with picking one of the ships then? I know a lot about Carriers and Fletcher class, Tanks and Air craft. But nothing for Navy... What would be a better pick the remaining Pennsylvania - Steel state is best state - Or another? I prefer heavy firepower and armor without regards for Speed and only some fear of Subs.

Also, As for my other questions?

All right then; first off, what navy do you want to draw from? The USN, Royal Navy, IJN, Regia Marina, Marine Nationale?

Then, what type of ship? Battleship, aircraft carrier, heavy cruiser, light cruiser, destroyer, submarine? Or even an auxiliary?

Quote from: Eliteempire on April 08, 2015, 05:09:04 PM
1. Would that a be a No no then, sense its not been proven or disprove yet? And Bismarck is a female ;-; Germany noooo.

2. Have Both PA-class warships been taken yet or is that too high of a class allowed for PC's?

3. Awesome

4. How long do you think that may or may not take as I've not actually used such a large board before. All the other ones have been at max maybe 20 people.

1. So far in canon, all FoF ships have had female Mental Models- but then again, all our characters are a bit.... off, so maybe you can bend the canon a bit, esp if you had a big battleship, with the power to run two Mental Models.

2. The USS Arizona is taken already (by Mac), but the USS Pennsylvania is available, as are most of the US battleships aside from the Iowa's, South Dakota's and possibly North Carolina's.

3. You're welcome.

4. It should not take long; in fact, once you make up a bio, and get them approved, why not introduce your ship girl just cruising around, and one of us detects her?

Eliteempire

Quote from: Major Major on April 08, 2015, 05:43:11 PM
All right then; first off, what navy do you want to draw from? The USN, Royal Navy, IJN, Regia Marina, Marine Nationale?

Then, what type of ship? Battleship, aircraft carrier, heavy cruiser, light cruiser, destroyer, submarine? Or even an auxiliary?

I would like a Battleship, or Aircraft Carrier though I've never seen airplanes under the control of FOG vessels. I was thinking German or American warships due too the heavy armor and weapons. My friend tossed Tirpitz in, but I dunno if that would be approved.

Quote from: Major Major on April 08, 2015, 05:43:11 PM
1. So far in canon, all FoF ships have had female Mental Models- but then again, all our characters are a bit.... off, so maybe you can bend the canon a bit, esp if you had a big battleship, with the power to run two Mental Models.

2. The USS Arizona is taken already (by Mac), but the USS Pennsylvania is available, as are most of the US battleships aside from the Iowa's, South Dakota's and possibly North Carolina's.

3. You're welcome.

4. It should not take long; in fact, once you make up a bio, and get them approved, why not introduce your ship girl just cruising around, and one of us detects her?

1. I was thinking of that, maybe start off as a female char and swap too a male because it appeared better or some reason. I'm weird when it comes too this type of stuff sadly, or If Mac lets me start off male. I did kinda plan on a twin Mental unit.

2. That's... odd, I always thought the Pennsylvania would be marked off as well.

4. That'd be cool, Though any chance of a quick summary of whats going on and... where the posting is even happening?

Major Major

It's mentioned in Chapter 62 or so that the Fog used to use aircraft, but their air wings took a hammering in the Last Great Naval Battle in 2039, and most of the carriers retired their air wings; they can bring them back if they choose to though.

I'm not entirely sure what they do with Tirpitz; she's not mentioned in canon, but given that the writers draw parallels to real life (The fleet that protects Yamato being the same ships that sailed with her on Operation Ten-Go, and that there was a force of British-outline Fog warships that matched up to Force Z operating in south-east Asia), then it's quite possible that Tirpitz is currently sitting in a fjord in Norway.

As for the canon ships, they're mostly IJN in the manga. The only ones we've seen that were not Japanese were Bismarck, U-2501, U-181/I-501, HMS Repulse, HMAS Vampire and possibly HMS Archer; that said, there was a panel in the first chapter that showed a distant shot of a Fog ship; from the way it was framed by the dialogue, there was an implication that it was an American Fog ship, possibly an Omaha-class scout cruiser or similar.

Eliteempire

well do you think the Tirpitz would be a go then, sense its not made an 'in' canon appearance as of it and also matches my requirements?

Also in the Anime -if your counting that as lore- They show an entire American task force which gets purged by Konego using a massive Super gravity canon.

Major Major

You'll need to ask Mac about if the anime is fitted in; but as far as I'm concerned, I see no problem with using the Tirpitz as it stands.

Eliteempire

Then I shall claim the Tirpitz in the name of the Elite Empire unless Mac says otherwises. The Tirpitz will be along way from home sadly.

Unless somebody has something better/greater then this?

Major Major

Which makes sense, when you look into the manga, and see that the Fog is... well... I'm not sure whether to give spoilers or not.

Eliteempire

Go ahead, I can't currently purchase the Manga anyway. I enjoy it all and if not, Well I'll wiki it later.

Major Major

Well, the rough outline is that, ever since the Fog started developing Mental Models en masse about two years ago, they've become more and more human, and now the Fog is starting to split and factionalise.

So far there's three groups that we know of:

*Supreme Flagship Yamato's group, who are going to follow their orders to blockade humanity and at the same time search for the Admiralty Code.

*Superbattleship Musashi's group (Yamato's sister), who have allied themselves with Shouzo Chihaya (the father of Gunzou, the male lead) who is involving himself in the War in Europe for his own unknown reasons- Bismarck seems to be part of this group.

*Fleet Flagship Hood's group, who splintered off and are in semi-open rebellion against Musashi's group.

Eliteempire

So rebellion everywhere, And where does this Rp group fit into everything? I've seen we are positioned somewhere in the pacific -far as I got currently-

Major Major

Officially designated Fleet Detachment 224, our characters were assigned to guard a re-purposed human base that was being used as a supply depot for the Fog; but then, while Fleet Detachment Flagship Arizona was sending a regular status update, something screwy happened and they lost contact with their liaison; so now they've set out to look for them.

On the way, they've made some new friends and allies, and had a few battles; they've visited Pearl Harbour, and are now, I think, heading for the Galapagos Islands.

Eliteempire

How long would you say we had our mental units, months or years?? And that's abit closer then the location I thought the fleet currently was.

Major Major

We've had the Mental Models for about two years, like most of the Fleet has.

As for the exact location, ask Mac, he's the bossman in this.

Eliteempire

So enough time for my BS excuse of having a Male Mental model if Mac allows it. I'm already thinking up a wonky backstory for everything and why i'm so far from home.

Major Major

Yeah; though if I might offer an idea?

Since Bismarck has two MM's, you could have two yourself, and just handwave that the male one is more active than the female one.

As for what you're doing out here in the boonies, how about saying Musashi sent you out here on a mission for whatever reason.

Eliteempire

I was, I was thinking of a Twin system. Where one is always online and the other is in maintenance or something of the sort. Like a weird Family unit, One only really needs to be awake for normal ship operations anyway. Though it works at only 50% power.

I was thinking more about getting expelled from the FOG fleet and then Musashi due to refusing an order or something. A lot of the Captains under Musashi's captains name are mean to their mental units it seems.

Major Major

Well, we've only seen Zordon Stark as one of them, but yeah, he is a jerk; though it seems he has softened (very slightly) from his first appearance.

Eliteempire

I clearly misread then about it. But ya, So I'll had killed the 'former' Captain because he tried something we didn't agree with. Its will be very interesting playing as Dual Characters when combat comes around.

Major Major

Sounds fair; just run it by Mac for his approval first.

Eliteempire

Should I PM it too him, or does he often just read through this public request/forum?

Mac84

Story summary:

Approximently 16-17 years ago, after the last great UN Battle, The Fleet of Fog ship, Arizona was assigned to guard a isolated island in a remote part of the Pacific that has been repurposed to be a Supply Hub for Fog's Nanomaterial Supply. For three years, Arizona guarded the Island per Supreme Flagship Yamato's orders. After three years, more, and more ships started to be assigned to the Island.

Ships assigned:
Arizona
Suzuya
Effingham
Shimakaze
Fuso
Texas
Arashi
I-8
Bayern (Most Recent)
(Can't remember if I forgot anyone)

Their is also a Italian Heavy Cruiser along (Please forgive me Major, But I can't remember her name) however, she is not attacted to the fleet.

After a "Routine" Patrol, Acting Flagship Arizona, in reporting the results of the Patrol received a distressing error message. Prompting her, and the others to leave the island to investigate.

Along the way, they befriend, and encounter the Destroyer Mizuki, as well as the FoF Supply Ship Abbeydale. Along the way, the encountered a Mysterious Hostile Fog force led by the BS Howe with an "invitation" from her benefactor.

After the battle, The fleet continued to where they arrived at the Hawaiian islands, and befriended the carrier Ranger. (Player playing Ranger no longer participating in RP)

Leaving the hawaiian islands they continue southeast to their destination of the Galapogos islands.

Close to the Coast of South America, the Fleet runs into another FoF fleet led by the French Battleship Jean-Bart. It is found out that the FoF ships pursuing Arizona and her feet are under the command of the mysterious Shinano. Another battle ensues in witch Jean-Bart, and her two "Pets" A couple of Atlanta class Cruisers are taken prisoner. Mizuki has Departed the fleet to pursue her own goals. Abby, is presently repairing damage sustained in the fight.

(end Summary)

As for the Mental Models being all girls: the answer is Yes, and Haruna explains why in the Anime. Stating that Humanity as always referred to ships as Female.

Posting expectatons are whenever you can. No real Rush, but I ask that you do make an effort.

No WWII Ships (Post 1940 construction). (WWI, WWI Re-fits, Pre-WWII please. But any nationality is open (US, French, Russian, German, British, Etc.)

We're about to reach the Galopagos Islands, that would be an excellent place for you to enter the story. and I have an idea about how to do that. If you want, I can PM you about it.

As for the Manga, Here is a link for ya:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aoki-Hagane-no-Arpeggio

Will have to research Tirpitz,

For Story Line, I generally refer to the Mangas over the series.

Sessha

He often does check the boards so no worries, but you can still PM if you like. Case in point that rather nice timeline post he just made

I was kind of hoping you would have taken Pennsylvania, cause then I could call your character Penny for short!  ;D ;D ;D

Eliteempire

Quote from: Sessha on April 08, 2015, 07:19:29 PM
He often does check the boards so no worries, but you can still PM if you like. Case in point that rather nice timeline post he just made

I was kind of hoping you would have taken Pennsylvania, cause then I could call your character Penny for short!  ;D ;D ;D

If Mac rejects the glory known as Tirpitz, I'll ride along in the PA sense I truly don't know any other ships besides Japanese's ones and most of them are already lore controlled.

I also pmed Mac about it. I didn't want to be rude so I had held off sense Major was so helpful.

Major Major

Sessha

Hell if you wanted to you could play them both. Pretty much everyone here has two characters they play.

Eliteempire

Its will be hard enough running with a Non-male Char. I'll be hard pressed too run two battleships though If I pick it up later....I might toss in a Carrier and the PA. Also yay, Tirpitz is mine and I shall name it Fl..I mean Trap.

Mac84

Mac84

kongo

Interested in participating. Tell me what you need. Just finished Cadenza and reading the Magna now...my namesake, Kongo, was my favorite, but I have some other ideas for characters too, if you're going with originals...
Every heart must play its part...

Mac84

Hello Kongo, and yes I liked Anime Kongo a lot. You'll find the Manga much more expansive. :D

As far as character Ideas, I would love to hear them. I just ask that you follow the criteria.

No Ships that have already appeared in the Manga (We're following more the manga (Loosely) than we are the series.)

They can not be "Modern" Warships. "Ships that are WWII. WWI-Refit, Post WWI, and Pre WWII please.

All types of ships, and Nationalities are accepted.

kongo

Ishizuchi is a prototype for the Kongo-class fast battleship. She has more mains (5x2 vs 4x2) but they are 305s vs 356). Armor slightly less, speed slightly less. I actually use this ship in World of Warships, great fighter, but not as much durabililty, better stealth though.

How I would do her story...

Ishizuchi (or Ishi as she prefers) was one of of the first mental models tests done (she is more properly a fast battle cruiser than a BB). She was assigned to Yamato's security detail (including a prototype of the Mirror-Ring System) but excelled at strategic planning and was given access to some of the details of Admiralty Code. She has been using her processing overhead to find her and recently started having visions of her as a young child. This could be another mental model, or something more. She has come to the island looking for clues as to ACs whereabouts...

Personality - calculating, a bit envious of the "newer tech" and can sometimes be goaded into fights. Her "avatar" AC shows up sometimes and distracts her, not seen by other mental models, so it looks like she is talking to herself.

Not sure how well that fits with what you have going on there now. She could show up pretty much anywhere...

kongo

I'm hoping this is the right thread for ship ideas, if not I can post them where needed...

Do you have any Brooklyn-class Light Cruisers? 10k with 5x3 6" guns. Fast rate of fire (10/min per gun) and 24 km range.
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Savannah
Nashville
Phoenix
Boise
Honolulu

A bit smaller than the Baltimore-class (at 14.5k) but maybe mounts a smaller SG?

Let me know if you have this one or not and I can work up a character or two.

Thanks!

Major Major

Far as we know none of the Brooklyn-class have shown up yet.

We've got a Hawkins, a Zara, and an Agano, but that's it, cruiser wise.

kongo

Fantastic! I'll put something together then for these two. How detailed are you being with the conversions? Do you already have a method? The Fog ship's primary weapon is spinal (although there are exceptions, like student council's trade ins), and the mains are still there in laser form. But they add a lot of cruise missle and torpedo type weapons, and everyone seems to pack corrosives in some quantity. Of course with enough nano materials and a sufficient energy source almost anything could be created if needed...

Also, forgot to ask, are we roleplaying, story telling or a combination?

Thanks.

Major Major

Quote from: kongo on April 09, 2017, 06:54:59 PM
Fantastic! I'll put something together then for these two. How detailed are you being with the conversions? Do you already have a method? The Fog ship's primary weapon is spinal (although there are exceptions, like student council's trade ins), and the mains are still there in laser form. But they add a lot of cruise missle and torpedo type weapons, and everyone seems to pack corrosives in some quantity. Of course with enough nano materials and a sufficient energy source almost anything could be created if needed...

Also, forgot to ask, are we roleplaying, story telling or a combination?

Thanks.

I can only speak for myself, but this is what I created for my main girl, Effingham:

Name: HMS Effingham. "Effie" for short

Mental Model:
Single Core, Type G-I

Personality: Rather British and a bit posh, but hides deep insecurities and can also be a wallflower.

Class: Hawkins-class Heavy Cruiser

Pennant Number: D98

Affiliation: Fleet of Fog (Detachment Squadron 223)

Ship Image:
Ship Form

*NOTE: Effie has painted her hull black, her superstructure white, and her funnel buff/beige, like a Victorian-era RN warship. She also may, or may not, have a black cap on her funnel, like a White Star ocean liner.

WEAPONRY:

*9x 6in Particle Cannons in singleton mountings ('A', 'B', and 'C' guns are super-firing) (main armament)
*4x 4in Particle Cannons in two twin-gun mountings (heavy AA armament)
*Multiple High-Angle pulse laser AA guns
*Numerous VLS launchers on quarterdeck and forward of 'A' gun
*Super-Graviton Cannon (Heavy Cruiser-grade)
*6x Torpedo tubes.

DIMENSIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS:

Length: 605ft
Beam: 58ft (65ft across anti-torpedo bulges)
Draught: 17.25ft (20.5ft fully loaded)

Propulsion: Graviton Engine / Type-S x 102
Maximum Speed (surfaced): 85 - 90 Knots
Maximum Speed (submerged) 40 knots

Armour: Wave Motion Compulsory Conversion Device Armour (Heavy Cruiser grade)

pendarious

in regards to story telling vs role playing.......honestly I'd say it's probably closer to story telling since it's all being told in third person but the way it's done is more towards Role Playing since it's completely co-operative. or some such like that.....

kongo

Here's the first one...

Name: IJN Ishizuchi "Ishi"

Mental Model:
Single Core, Type G-I+ (strategic simulation sub-processor)

Back story:
One of the first mental model tests done (she is more properly a fast battlecruiser than a BB). She was assigned to Yamato's security detail (including a prototype of the Mirror-Ring System) but excelled at strategic planning and was given access to some details of the Admiralty Code. She has the ability to create avatars to assist with problem solving and is currently running one called "Ace" which has the appearance of a young girl to help her find Admiralty code. She has come to the island looking for clues as to Admiralty Code's whereabouts...

Personality:
Calculating, a bit envious of the "newer tech" and can sometimes be goaded into fights.
Her "avatar" AC (Ace) shows up sometimes and distracts her, not seen by other mental models, so it looks like she is talking to herself.

Mental model:
Young japanese heritage, Long straight hair, purple.

Class:
Ishizuchi-class battleship prototype (for Kongo Class)

Designation:
???

Affiliation:
Fleet of Fog (Detachment Squadron ???)

Ship Image:
Black when active camo off

Weaponry:
*10x 305mm Particle Cannons in double-turret mountings (Mains)
*16x 152mm Partcile Cannons in single mountings (heavy AA armament)
*Numerous VLS launchers on decking
*Super-Graviton Cannon (fast battleship grade)

Surveillance:
1 Class IV drone - (1000 Km range, Enhanced EMS monitoring/jamming, 2 pulse particle cannons, active camo) - these use Concept Com for communications so jamming is not possible but allows feedback to other FOF ships - (ie. they can sense the MM of the ship through the drone)

Dimensions and Characteristics:
Length: 220 m
Beam:    31 m
Draft:   14 m

Propulsion: Graviton Engine / Type-S x 200
Max speed (surfaced):  80 knots
Max speed (submerges): 40 knots

Armor:
Wave Motion Compulsory Conversion Device Armour (Fast-Battleship grade)
Mirror-Ring System (Fast-Battleship grade - prototype)
Active Camoflouflage (Visual and EMS only)

kongo

And the second...

me: USS Phoenix

Mental Model:
Single Core, Type G-I

Personality:
American, takes nothing seriously, including orders, which is why she has been assigned to island after island (most recently the Admiralty Islands). Mental model is a red-headed goth with a lot of body art.

Class:
Brooklyn-class Light Cruiser

Designation:
CL-46

Affiliation:
Fleet of Fog (Detachment Squadron ???)

Ship Image:
Bright Orange Flame design on sides, turns black during combat

Weaponry:
*15x 6in Particle Cannons in triple-turret mountings - Pulse firing design for rapid fire (Mains)
*8x 5in Partcile Cannons in single mountings (heavy AA armament)
*Numerous VLS launchers on quarterdeck and forward of 'A' gun
*Super-Graviton Cannon (Light Cruiser-grade)

Surveillance:
4 Class I drones - (100 Km range, standard EMS, active/passive sonar, no weapons but spotting capability) - these use Concept Com for communications so jamming is not possible but allows feedback to other FOF ships - (ie. they can sense the MM of the ship through the drone)

Dimensions and Characteristics:
Length: 608 ft
Beam:    61 ft
Draught: 19.75 ft (24 ft fully loaded)

Propulsion: Graviton Engine / Type-S x 120
Max speed (surfaced): 100 knots
Max speed (submerges): 50 knots

Armor:
Wave Motion Compulsory Conversion Device Armour (Light Cruiser grade)

kongo

Question on character evolves over time. Do you want me to include additional information regarding where the characters will be going as they evolve, or does that happen in the course of writing the stories? You know, the old nature vs. nurture debate as it were... ;-)

Mac84

Hello Kongo,

My apologies for taking so long to reply as I don't normally do much on E on Sundays and Mondays.

I have Ishizuchi as well on WoWs. I enjoy her, but Kongo is still my Go too Battleship.

One thing is we already have a ship that "Secretly" possesses teh Mirror Ring system. So I can't allow another, even if it is a prototype. Add to it that the Mirror ring system does not appear to be a feature that all battleships have. Only a select few. Hiei has one, but she is the leader of Musashi's body Guard. Another ship has one, but I won't say cause it would spoil the Manga for ya. However, the Mirror Ring system appears to be a very costly, and dangerous device even for the FoF to use.

Also, and I may be wrong, but Mental Models were not "Created", but seemed to be born from the FoFs continual exposure to Humans as a way to understand "Emotion". So Ishi being a Prototype Mental model would be a bit of a stretch as I believe both the Manga, and the Anime put Yamato being the first. Though her being one of hte first to appear could be allowable as we have two of those. My character Arizona, and Avalon's character Bayern. Though both tend to have some problems.

Here is the Character/OOC Link, go on and say "Hi" to the others. :D I should have a word on your characters approval in a about a day or two. Also gives you an idea on some of the other characters you 'll encounter.

As fare as RP, vs. Storytelling. I tend to lean more story Telling.

kongo

Thank you. I will check out the link to the others. My thinking with the prototyping ships was mainly for FOF to use as test beds for their evolving technologies. Ishi would definitely not be the first, but her strategic processor is a newer addition (could be used to monitor fleet movements, etc - maybe another plot device?) I added the Mirror Ring because I thought that would be a tech Yamato may have tested on another ship before adopting it to herself and any guardian ships. it seems more suited for protection against rogue FoF ships or to counter catastrophic failures in fleet actions (although I have my theories as to its being an adaptation of fleet movement technology vs a defense). I understand if it doesn't fit into the current storyline, but thought I'd give you my reasoning.

BTW, do you have an area for technology discussions? I have some theories related to FoF that I'd like to talk through (and certainly before introducing it to the story). I can message them over too if that makes more sense.

Thanks again for the opportunity to work with the group. Looking forward to sailing with you...

Mac84

Not a problem! :D

As far as Tech talk, you can do that in the OOC. We do more in the OOC than discuss the story directly. We also discuss the Manga/Anime Plots and see how it meshes with our own plot.

as for two ships, I would work with one in the beginning so you don't over extend yourself and get a good grasp for how the story is going. We also are a relaxed group. There is usually no rush on posting.

kongo

Sounds good. Let me know how the approvals go. There may be some sort of relationship between the characters but they can be introduced one at a time as that may fit the subplot (one may be looking for the other).

I'm reading through the story now, good stuff...got a character card started to keep track of everyone... 😊

Mac84

Quote from: kongo on April 11, 2017, 11:17:55 AM
Sounds good. Let me know how the approvals go. There may be some sort of relationship between the characters but they can be introduced one at a time as that may fit the subplot (one may be looking for the other).

I'm reading through the story now, good stuff...got a character card started to keep track of everyone... 😊

I should have an answer tonight for you.

A good way to understand the story is think of Them as the Misfits of the FoF.