News:

Main Menu

Superbowl!!!

Started by Serenity Vixen, January 29, 2008, 05:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity Vixen

How could you possibly know if they are injured or not? I am just saying what I read on the matter, but I am willing to accept the explanation. I watched the game too, and I saw allot of passes go awry that I was surprised did not connect, and I can see injuries being the reason.

I am not discounting the Giants defensive line. They were awesome, and the team that deserved to win did. But, it makes me a bit angry that you can be so angry because you think one thing happens without even allowing for the possibility that you may not know everything.

Fact, the Patriots played superbly all season against allot of extremely good teams. They have played time and again against aggressive defensive lines, but this time, they just fell apart.

You don't think injuries could have had anything to do with that>? Not even the possibility of being a factor?
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

MagicalPen

They didn't play perfectly all season. Several games were close contests (vs. Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Giants) and in a few of those instances (mainly the Ravens game) the officiating allowed the Pats to win. The Pressure of the defense was what made those passes hurried and off target. Brady never got into a Rhythm with pressure in his face most of the game. His completions did come when he had some time to set himself and throw the ball.  Yeah, the Pats Offensive line went out the window in the biggest game of the season, and the Giants managed to shut down Moss who was double-covered most of the game. But it was the frontline that disrupted the passing game the most. Hard to be accurate when you are hit as you're throwing the ball (that one case they tried Moss deep - he had beaten the coverage but the pass was under thrown as Brady was hit as he released).

Good teams all season? 8 of their games were against teams who finished with more losses then wins (Jets, Dolphins, Ravens finishing in the bottom 6 overall, Buffalo and Bengals finishing well below the .500 mark). Very few teams lost to those first 3. Elis interception in the last game of the season is what sunk the Giants then (the only turnover in the game) in a game the Giants lost by 3.

Pats definitely struggled in the post-season. Giants played far better in January then the Pats did, and in the end thats when it matters the most.

EDIT: Brady has possible injury, didn't show in game. Speculation with Moss is that he just doesnt want to play in the meaningless Pro-Bowl.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Sugarman (hal)

Silvestine is spot on correct. But that one pass and amazing reception did it for the Giants. Remember the score was 14 to 10 and the Giants need something big being still in their own side of the 50.
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

rainshadow

That Eli scramble/toss and Tyree snag was simply phenominal... and ESPN agrees with me that it was the most amazing play in Super Bowl history. It saved the Giants SB lives and they vaulted to the top of the football world because of it. So much Boston success... all shattered in the most amazing two minute drive I have personally ever seen (Super Bowl or not). It's not like they heaved a prayer in the last second (well, I honestly don't consider that kind of play a "drive"), but the Giants literally willed themselves down the field against what had been a pretty solid defense that just got worn down.

Props to the G-Men. They were given essentially no opportunity and those who said they had a chance were literally laughed at. I'm a fan of neither but preferred a Pats loss over a perfect season... not because I like the '72 Dolphins but because I needed a reason to smile. Never felt happier for the Giants, and never will again... unless they help out my teams in some way down the line... or pick up some players from my alma mater. I was never a Cowboys fan until they drafted Terrance Newman.

Sensational Super Bowl. Great finish. Glad it's over.

Let's move on to baseball season! :D
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

MagicalPen

lol...when Eli broke free and tossed that up, i thought it was going to get intercepted for sure! Tyree - not my first choice (would have thrown it to Plexico) - looked like he was surrounded by 4 Pats when he came down with it. I'm a Jets fan, so was clearly cheering on the Giants.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Caustic

It wasn't the prettiest play I've ever seen, that's for sure-- but it was one of the most exciting... I mean, catching it on his HELMET with one hand?  I'd never have believed it if I didn't see it. 

Most importantly, though, it gave me the satisfaction of hearing the Pats fans' collective egos shattering.  *malicious grin*  j/k.  I don't hate all of Boston... just the upper-middle class and above.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

rainshadow

Pretty and sensational are two entirely different things. The offensive line crumbled and Manning was certainly one lucky SOB for not going down or not simply being downed for being "in the grasp"... a rule meant to protect QBs.

One thing that bothered me... the announcers and all the analysts kept talking about how Tyree did a sensational job not letting the ball hit the ground. I beg to differ... the nose of the ball DID touch the ground. However, according to the rule the ball can touch the ground on a catch so long as reciever maintains possession (in as it doesn't jostle around after touching). It takes a hell of a lot of strength to not drop the ball when 1) it was being pushed through his hands like that by an All-Pro defensive back (that helmet against the ball can't allow for the best control; amazing it didn't slip out of there) and 2) it touches the ground when you're falling BACKWARDS. Good stick'em on those gloves, Tyree!
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

MagicalPen

I read an article the other day about the Ref on that play and how he was about to call a sack (the grab rule or whatever) but somehow Eli managed to break free (the ref motioned that he hadn't been sacked). Close call, either way. Today, headline on Y! front page is something that made me laugh.

You want to know how stuck up Pats fans are? Look at this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl_experts/post/We-must-stop-the-unfair-treatment-of-the-New-Eng?urn=nfl%2C65863

Its 100% serious. If you look at the people who have signed the petition, half of them are people making fun of the Pats and the Petition itself. I mean, come on now? PATS FANS WANT TO TALK ABOUT CHEATING? They must have been sleeping these past 7 years...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

rainshadow

Eli may just have been very lucky in his positioning during that play. The ref was literally behind that mass of humanity with Eli was on the other side. I think had he been able to see he may have called "in the grasp"... but even refs are human. They can't see everything. It's a part of that human error that belongs in these games. Of course, I've never really agreed with the "in the grasp" rule myself; it's just another copout rule like the "tuck" rule that allowed the Pats to advance toward their first Super Bowl.

King_Furby

Don't forget about the pro bowl people.

I hope the pats come back strong next year, i still would like brady to get a 4th super bowl.

rainshadow

Pro Bowl? Eh... I find it boring every year. Don't think I've watched a whole PB since Derrick Thomas passed away.

MagicalPen

WOW! PATRIOTS HAVE BEEN CHEATING SINCE 2000!

Latest News from when Goodell talked to Specter about SPYGATE:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-goodell-specter&prov=ap&type=lgns

I think its time to get rid of the 'Dynasty' tag and the 'Best Team Ever' tag...they need to make an example out of Belicheat and the Patriots as far as this goes.

More then likely, nothing will happen - kinda like when Merriman got caught doing 'roids.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

King_Furby

I guess i don't really understand what was being filmed, so i can't make a judgement on it yet.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Apple of Eris

Apparently practices and the opponents signal calling.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Serenity Vixen

So that they would know what plays were being sent in and could therefore counter them much more easily

assuming I understand
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

King_Furby

I think it's low but i personally don't consider it cheating. I say this because of how many signals teams use and how often they switch plays in game. It would be very very hard to memorise and know every signal

Apple of Eris

I'm pretty sure that it's specifically forbidden to do that by NFL rules, hence, it IS cheating.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

King_Furby

I just said in my personal view, i never said it isn't cheating. Big difference there.

My thing is i don't really know how useful that information would have been. Thats the thing i will never know. And to me there is no proof out there.

but reguardless t's shameful and wrong of them.

MagicalPen

Its not like Baseball where they change the signals each game. NFL players have HUNDREDS of plays and signals to memorize. If they did change the signals, its on a weekly basis and they'd spend all week learning them but I doubt thats the case.

Taping the last practice before the Superbowl (first one against St. Louis) is beyond cheating. That last practice is when the team runs each play they plan on using in the Superbowl in slow-mo so the players know exactly what they are doing. Clearly that gives the Taping Team a HUGE advantage.

It is LEGAL to ask for permission to Tape the games from the Endzone, but that is no different then what we see on TV. It is ILLEGAL to Tape other teams practices and it is also ILLEGAL to Tape the Offensive/Defensive Coordinators and the signals they are making.

Personally, I think the NFL is going to try and cover this up and make it go away as quickly as possible (like Spygate earlier in the season) because of what the whole 'roid thing is doing to baseball atm.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Hunter

OMG!  I can't BELIEVE that you're STILL babbling about THAT!.   :-\

MagicalPen

Hmm...thats not the article I linked too...what happened?

The link is supposed to take you to an article about the Pats being sued for ~$100 Million by a former St. Louis Rams player (and a bunch of other people) because the Pats taped their superbowl practice.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry