The Sweetest Revenge. (Elvi and Sherona)

Started by Sherona, October 16, 2007, 11:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

The young woman was bewildered at what she had said, only mumbling.
"Well he is a little upset....but I am sure he knows what he's doing...."

Sighing she bobbed a curtsie and turned to knock on the door.
It opened almost immediately, enough so that she could slip out, then closed behind her, the half burned candles flickered for a moment at the draft, then burned strongly again.

Sonja seemed to be alone for quite some time before the door opened once more.
Instead of the young woman who had left, a tall man, quite handsome man, his hair blonde and shoulder length,walked through.
Ingram, as he was named, was one of Borghast's most trusted in his circle of friends and his willingness to do the bidding of his prince to the letter and without question, had made him a very powerful man, even if it was in a quiet way.
He had, in fact, been the very man who had carried Sonja back to the castle to ensure she had arrived 'safely' and with the minmum of fuss.

Fastening his cold greys eyes on her, he smiled.
"Ah....I see you have finally woken?"
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Sherona

To pass the time after the woman left, Sonja lay upon the bed, her eyes closed recounting all the events from this defeat. In so doing she realized what she should have at the beginning, it had been painfully obvious that it had been a trap, but she had been too blind to see. She also spent much of the time trying to even get a glimmer of the powerful pool that has seemingly been drained away, where once a cool pool of magic lay nothing but a barren hollow.

As soon as the door opened once more, Sonja sat up once more half expecting the soft voiced woman once more. Instead, a man entered, causing her to stand swiftly. Obsidian eyes, hard and flat returns his colder gaze, and despite the bravado she tried to pull off she had to grip one of the supports on the bed to keep from trembling. "Who are you?" She demanded, her brows furrowing. Being without her power left her vulnerable feeling, and more frightened then she would admit even to herself.

Elvi

"I am Ingram."
He gave her a Cursery bow, his eyes never leaving hers.
"Aid to the King, I believe you.....demanded...to speak with someone of greater authority?"

Standing straight once more, he opened his arms and gave her a short smile, his voice taking on a little edge of impatience.
"Well.....here I am...So speak...."

Sherona

Now that someone was here, ostensibly to answer her questions, Sonja found herself at a loss for words. There were so many questions, yet so few ways to word such questions to where she would reveal less about herself then she gained about them. Trying to look composed, standing before this man in a shift, without her natural gifts to lend her strength, the woman lifted her chin.

"First, I want to know what happened to my...my people. Are they being held here?" Shifting, a movement designed to keep herself from pacing as is her normal wont when she is thinking. "Second, I demand to know what you people did to me.." She did not elaborate, hoping that he would reveal whether or not they had something to do with the sudden void within her. If they did not, then she might be able to bluff herself out of this mess. "Finally, I demand to know why I have been put here..and not in prison."

Elvi

A grin creapt over Ingram's features as he watched her discomfort.
Borghast was busy with other things, so he had the pleasure of dealing with her, at least for the moment and much to his dissapointment, in only a very superficial way.
Still, he would get some pleasure from this.
Folding his arms, he leaned back onto the door, watching her for a moment longer before he spoke.
"You people, M'Lady are either dead, or wishing they were. They were the payment for a certain....person's....aid in your capture." 
Pausing for a moment, even he had to shudder at the thought of what would be happening to those that had survived that backlash of magic, he had seen much in his life and had probably done more, but.....

Shifting his possition, Ingram cleared the dryness in his throat.
"Had The King not had plans of his own, that would also have been your fate, so I would count myself very lucky indeed M'Lady and we do not place important guests in the dungeons."

Sherona

His words seemed to deflate Sonja, her face paling rapidly, and she found herself having to sit on the edge of the bed or else fall to the floor. Dead..or worse..because of her own poor decisions. Eva, Jacov..pain twisted itself into her heart as her head spun with this revelation. Leaning her brow against the post, uncaring for the moment the show of weakness, Sonja sends a silent pray to whoever might be listening.

Finally, what must have only been moments but seemed like hours to the Sorceress, she lifts her head, her eyes dark and angry. If there was a shininess to them, not a tear slips over, not yet. "The King must have made a sudden recovery, to have accomplished this and plot other evil actions. Though if he thinks he can keep me in such a simplistic chamber, now that I know that I am the only one here. One word from me and I can have the stones in the very castle melting before me." He had not answered the question of what had happeneed to her, perhaps he did not know. Though he was very cavalier in dealing with her, something even many of the council did not show for fear of what she can utter..or used to be able to.

Elvi

Ingram laughed, a hearty laugh, you would expect in a tavern, after some extremely cleaver jest.
"Then please M'lady, please do so, we have been thinking of remodelling and it would save the masons so much time..."
Still chuckling her shook his head with ammusement.
"It would be a perfect way to pay for your keep."

His laughter faded, though he still smiled as his eyes mocked her.
"The King is fit and well....."
Ingram stopped, his face taking on the look of mock surprise.
"Oh my oh my....I forgot, you have been resting for almost two days now....You wouldn't know would you?
King Barghast is to have his official Coronation on the morrow...."

Sherona

Two days...that would explain the dryness of her throat and the hollow in her belly. Perhaps that was the cause of her sudden cut off from her power, though Sonja doubts that she would feel so utterly void if it was merely not having the energy reserves for usage. To top things off, their very small window of opportunity had been wasted, lives lost for nothing. Borghast will be coronated, and she shudders to think that things for his 'subjects' could get worse.

With great effort she turns her back to the other, though her very instincts scream at her to keep an eye on this enemy, a show of unconcern. Grasping at anything that would give her even the illusion of control, as control was often a subjective thing. If she could convince him she did not fear him, then he might be thrown off balance.

"Men such as your Master do not tend to have long life spans.. M'Lord," this last honorific dripping with sarcasm, though her tone was slightly warbled. "He will not reign long." Moving, slightly awkwardly as her legs felt as if they had suddenly turned to noodles, Sonja sinks into the chair that the woman had occupied earlier. "I thank you for your candor..leave me now." She tried to use her most authorative voice, as if she were still in charge of the rebellion and he was merely reporting. This effect may have been lost by her pallor, the way her throat worked, and the slight tremble in her limbs.

Elvi

His smile never faultered, his gaze upon her never moved, Ingram was obviously highly entertained at her reaction.
Still, making no comment on what she had said, he stood as she commanded him to leave and gave her a deep bow.
"As you wish M'lady"
Standing up again he sighed.
"Would you like me to have some food and drink sent to your room, or just send the seamstress in immediately?"

Sherona

She is most startled by his seeming aquiesence to her dismissal, and she casts an eye toward him warily full of suspicion. Her mind kept spinning around his revelation that she had been unconcious for two days, she knew her own magic often left her tired but she had never been so drained before. Of course she had never had her own power unleashed back at her either. Two days, she should not trust these people's offer of food or drink, most likely poisoned..Two days, however she can not function long without sustanence of some kind. Two days, she finally looks away from him. "Seamstress? My old clothing will do just fine. Send them back, with food and drink." Crossing her arms, her dark eyes glaring still, though confusion and fear still coiled within herself, trying to figure out the game that apparently she has been brought in as a player of.

Elvi

"Oh...I'm afraid not M'lady."
Ingram shook his head lightly as though he were talking to a churlish child.
"Surely we would be poor hosts if one as beautiful as yourself were allowed to attend a Coronation without the correct attire...."
Looking thoughtful, rubbing his chin as he looked at her, the man still kept his smile.
".....And his Majesty was so right when he chose royal blue velvet for your gown, you will be admired by all of the men and dispised by the women...." 

Sherona

A shudder runs visibly through Sonja at the thought of wearing anything that the notorious prince -King- had chosen, let alone attending his coronation.
"I shall not be attending any coronation, with or without my own wardrobe. I do not need the Prin...King's..'generosity'." Though as she said this, a low grumble sounded from her belly contradicting her words. Crossing her arms, as well as her legs, she half turned away.

Elvi

"Very well M'Lady."
Ingram showed no sign of what he felt in his voice, nor in his manner.
Calmly he began to walk around the room, blowing out the candles, picking up the last candelabra which stood near the door.
"I shall tell your maid that you have no wish for food or her services."
He tapped upon the door, a beam of natural light, from the well lit room beyond and fresh air streamed in....
"And I will do my best to send your regards to the Rebel council in between them being rounded up and executed."

Sherona

At first she watches him, as he systematically douses the light in the room, until there was nothing left but the light beside the door. Her parched throat screamed for water, and her belly gave another grumble in protest of being empty so long. Finally though, his last words spurred her to action.

She was tempted to try and catch him by surprise and run out the door, but even if she managed that where would she go? She had never been inside the castle, and there were undoubtedly personell loyal to Borghast crawlling. Her last plan had been an utter and ill-fated failure, her next would have to prove smarter. Instead she found her voice, speaking lowly and a bit too measuredly trying to keep any note from her tones. "Please..ok..I will..wear whatever he has deemed..I don't need a maid..but I do require sustenance."

Elvi

Ingram turned, his face in shadow, so that she could not see the look on his face as he replaced the candelabra.
"Very well M'Lady, the choices are always yours."
He gave a small bow before opening the door wider to allow, the same young woman, who had been sitting with her, walk past him and into the room.
"Ursa, your maid, will see to your needs."
He waited, with the door ajar, for Ursa to find a place on the table for the tray of food and drink and lift a candle to begin relighting those doused, then left them in semi darkness.

Sherona

Narrowing her eyes, Sonja waits until the door is firmly shut once more before she turns her attention toward the maid. She wishes she had been left alone, keeping up the bravado will do nothing but make her more mentally and even physically drained, but she no more trusted even the simplest of maids here.

"Choices..some choices." Muttering she does allow herself to pace, there is no denying that it eases her thinking. She had already explored many parts of the room in the wait, and had already concluded that without windows, the only way out would be that door. Unless of course her gift returns with food and drink. She waits for the other woman to settle the tray before she makes her way, warily but quickly to the 'gift'. Sniffing the liquid carefully, searching for any signs of anything being amiss, she finally finds herself almost gulping down the liquid.

Once her thirst was somewhat sated she finally turns her attention to the woman once more. Unused to anyone but herself seeing to her needs, she is at first at a loss for words. Finally she tilts her head and asks almost conversationally, "What are your duties?" The more she learns the more power she will have. The best way to get someone talking, is talking about innocent things before slipping in some more dangerous questions.

Elvi

Ursa busied herself relighting the candles, soon the room was warmer and brighter, almost filled with a cheery glow, at least it would have been if Sonja had been in a better frame of mind.
Noticing Sonja sniffed at the liquid in the large jug she gave an answer to an un-asked question.
"It's apple juice M'lady, fresh from the press. Jessy swears by it and said that it's better than the water, it's been raining and the wells are muddied.
There is mutton and chicken under the cloth and fresh bread."

Sonja's direct question was answered simply.
"I am to see to your needs M'Lady, you are only to ask....."
Ursa paused before adding quietly.
".....but if I am not sure about things I have to ask Barron Ingram, or even His Majesty if he is nearer...."

Ursa blushed a little at this, it seemed the young woman had a little crush, though it was unclear whether it was Ingram or Borghast who had caught her fancy.

Sherona

It is soon that Sonja finds herself lifting the cloth and digging into the food provided, wondering briefly at the fare that is given to her. Living the life of a rebel, one gets used to sacrifices and while most the time meat was provided at meals, there never was a time when there was more then one offered, and a few times there were none at all.

Instead of coming right out and asking the Maid about this, she again speaks in her conversational tones, te food warming her belly comfortably. "Was you told of who I am? Of why I am here?" On the surface it is an inocuous question, seeming asking the obvious. However Sonja's intent was to make the other woman comfortable in answering questions, so comfortable that she might slip a few tidbits of useful knowledge. "If you are hungry there seems to be plenty." Again in a conversational, almost friendly way,though those obsidian eyes never warmed, never lost the wary edge to them.

Elvi

"You are Lady Sonja of the rebels and you have come here to make peace."
Ursa spoke simply.
"You have been placed here for your own safety as there are many who would rather have you hung for a traiter."
She gave a little coy smile.
"His Majesty says that this fighting must end and he has welcomed you with open arms. He was most concerned when you had your accident on the way here....but the men that did that have been executed."

Sherona

Having just began to swallow a bit of mutton when Ursa answered her, Sonja found herself choking a bit. A few hard coughs, and a quick swallow of the apple juice, quite tasty indeed, and the choking fit was over, though her face was a nice pink shade. Peace, and open armed welcomes, Borghast or possibly Ingram certainly had a knack for storytelling.

"Is just Sonja..no Lady, I am of peasant stock I assure you." Trying to keep her expression schooled carefully to not reveal her inner thoughts she pushes back the tray, mildly surprised that most of the contents were gone.

"I am sure there are many who would love to see me swing at the end of a rope." Her features darken, and if her lashes narrow slightly at the talk of execution she strains herself to keep her words even. "Do..do you know exactly who was executed?"

Elvi

Ursa shrugged at her question.
"Some vagabonds and cut throats they tracked down in the forest M'Lady."
She frowned as though trying to remember.
"Some had already been killed in the fight to take them, I don't think they were named, there was a few young men and a woman I believe."
She shuddered as though someone had walked over her grave.
"The dead and those executed were beheaded and their heads hung at the castle gates as a warning....though I haven't seen them, Jessy told me..."

Seeing that Sonja had pushed the tray away, she moved forward and began to pick up the crumbs and tidying.
"I really don't think I want to either...I'll go around the back way...."

Sherona

Suddenly Sonja's face became as rigid as stone, all blood draining leaving her features pallid and pasty. She was too afraid to ask if the young woman's face had scars covering half of it, picturing Eva's trusting face as the last time she had spoken with the woman. Woodenly she turns away from the tray, and makes her way to the bed. For a moment she was afraid that the food that she had carefully put into her belly might find its way back out, but she managed to keep her body more or less under control.

"I..I think I am going to lie down again." laying on top of the coverlets, her back turned toward the maid, Sonja draws her knees up to her chest. Though a few shudders run through her shoulders occasionally, she does not allow the tears that threaten to fall loose.

Elvi

"Very well M'Lady."
Ursa's voice, now quiet and showing genuine concern in it's tone, drifted over from the end of the room.
"I will take away the tray and tell the seamstress that you are not disturbed."
Sonja could hear the tray being picked up, the plate clattering.
"I'll pop back in an hour or so and see if there is anything you need."

Tapping on the door, Ursula stood back as it was opened and left, the door closing quietly behind her.   

Sherona

Finally alone, Sonja stretches out and allows the nonchalant, hard exterior to melt away. Replacing it was an angry, rage that had began to bubble when she had first sensed that her gift was gone, and only continued to be stoked by each new bit of information. If there had been anyone about the anger in her gaze alone would have made them step back. Rolling over, surprisingly still tired even though she had apparently been sleeping for two days already, Sonja mentally tallied on her own private score sheet. Those who someone, be they King or Barron, would account for.

Elvi

Sonja was left to here own devices for at least an hour, possibly two.
It was hard to tell in that room, only the candles marked the track of time, the air thick with the musty smell of bees wax and smoke.

Ursa opened the door quietly, leaving it ajar as she stepped in and to the bed, she spoke quietly, so as not to wake Sonja if she were still asleep.
"M'Lady?....M'Lady, the seamstress is here, she really needs to fit the dress she had started for you if she is to have it ready in time..."