The Sweetest Revenge. (Elvi and Sherona)

Started by Sherona, October 16, 2007, 11:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Sonja awoke quickly, her nerves jangling slightly on edge, having spent a bit of time before sleep overtook her trying to figure out Borghast..or Ingram's game. She supposes that Ingram could be behind it, though she could find no reason not to execute her as they apparently did others. After just a moment to piece together her facade of an uncaring cool person, Sonja rises from the bed. "Very well...I am sure the seamstress would rather go where the lighting is better. This room is rather ..dim." Eyes cut toward the maid, one brow arching.

Elvi

Ursa stepped asside, indicating the open door, late afternoon sunlight streaming through.
"His Majesty's chamber is waiting for your use M'Lady."
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Sherona

His Majesty's chamber..that puts the Ingram theory to rest. Sonja adjusted her shift that covers her, smoothing it down before she moves through the open door. She is not surprised to see a guard placed outside the door, though she is mildly surprised to see that her prison was adjoined to Borghast's chambers. However the warm sunlight, drew her attention quickly, and while keeping a wary eye on all who were in the room, Sonja turned her face towards the welcomed light that fell into the room. She stopped herself from smiling with the comfort of it, however, not wishing to show just how uncomfortable it is to be locked away from such simple pleasures is.

Looking toward the person that is obviously the seamstress, holding a measure as well as other implements of her trade, Sonja lifts a brow and while her tones were not angry they could easily be defined as curt. "Lets get on with the measuring.." Almost as if she had something else to do other then sit in a room pondering the reasons behind Borghast's actions.

Elvi

As she walked into the room, the guard gave her a nod of deference and stepped out of the room, through a door which, Sonja would assume was into a hall way.
The chamber was indeed fit for a King, though by it's well used appearance and the personal items of weaponary and armour placed about the room, it was obvious that it had been Borghast's for a while.
The heavy curtains drawn away from the open windows allowed the late summer sun and a light breeze to filter through into the room.

There was no bed to be seen, it was obviously an outer chamber.
Filled with books and rolls of paper strewn across a desk, comfortable well used, but well looked after furniture, with heavy rugs and furs to warm the thick wooden floor.

She had, indeed, recognised the seamstress by the tools of her trade. The much older woman gave a quick curtsie as Sonja spoke to her, but waited for the guard to leave before she aproached.
Lifting a thick and luxurious velvet overdress from it's place upon a bench and with a quick word to Ursa, asking for her help, she moved towards Sonja.
"If you would be so kind M'Lady, I already begun work on the over dress. i tooked the size from your other clothes an' just be needin' a little adjustin'..." 

Sherona

Sonja could already feel a headache forming, she is reminded of why she never regretted being born outside of nobility and royalty. All the curtsying, M'Lady's, were slowly grating on her nerves. Dropping her arms loosely to her side, Sonja turned to face the seamstress, and to eye the rich fabric on the bench.

"Please, its simply Sonja..I have no noble blood in me." She speaks as she steps closer to the older woman, one hand fingering the collar around her neck still. "You got my measurements from my old clothes? Can I trouble you to send them up to me?" She tried to keep a civil, even genteel tone to her voice though she was raised as a Rebel's daughter and not a Count's.

Elvi

"Oh...."
The Seamstress looked a little confused and slightly embarrassed.
"They's gone M'Lady....Prin....King said them's not cloves fit for no lady in 'is court."
She nodded sagely.
"I wuzz talkin' to 'im mesell in this very room."

Looking towards Ursa for confirmation, she carried on after the younger had nodded her agreement.
"Yeh.....tha's right innit Ursa....she were 'ere as well... 'e said Greta, you make the Lady 'er dress for the morra an' then get ter makin' er more evry day stuff an' I was a sayin' to 'im....."

At Ursa's delicate cough, Greta stopped short, she gave Sonja a small smile.
"Errrr...fing is...they ain't around any more, they's gone on the fire M'lady."

Sherona

Sonja listened to the seamstresses words, her arms folded, her gaze cutting towards the windows every once in a while. Though it may seem her attention drifts, she is paying very careful attention to the words of the seamstress. Though the cold hard pit in her stomach that had taken up residence since Ursa spoke of the executions and Ingram spoke of every single person in the party dead or worse, Sonja returned a smile to Greta, trying to make it as natural as possible.

"Well, it was time to get new clothes anyway. Did he tell you a specific style, or may I chose that?" One brow archs toward Ursa though, wondering why she had cut Greta off. "Oh and do go on please, it has been a while since I found time to simply chat. You were saying to him?" Keep them talking, keep them pumping even insignificant information was her plan.

Elvi

Greta shrugged.
"I was just sayin' to 'is Majesty that I wud make you sumfink nice...and 'e says you can 'ave out yer want, but 'e dunt like ladies in trousers..."

With a quick look at Ursa, she turned and picked up the half made robe, gathhering the heavy material in her arms with Ursa taking up some of it to help.
"If'n you raise yer 'ands M'Lady, then I cud slip this on an' see where it needs fixin?"

Sherona

No, he wouldn't like ladies in trousers, Sonja thought spitefully, probably intimidates him. However outloud she simply nodded and not quite being able to keep all of the sarcasm from her voice as she says, "Well we wouldn't want to upset..His Majesty. Perhaps after we finish fitting and sizing this ..one, we could work out the 'every day' stuff." Though Sonja doubted she would still be around to wear most of the every day stuff, at least she hoped she would not. Raising her hands, feeling slightly silly, as she watched the two women gather the material closer.

Elvi

Greta simply nodded, concentrating on getting the over dress onto Sonja without catching the odd pin that still remained in the body of the dress.
It was a surprisingly good fit, thought the style of the day dictated it be only fitted at the front, the long flowing back was very forgiving.

As Ursa fussed behind Sonja, pulling out the long train the see if it hung correctly, Greta pinned the front closed to the waist, so that they could see where the buttons would come, then began tacking on one of the long open sleeves which hung almost to the floor.

Stepping back, her finger to her lips, Greta took a critical look at the gown, then allowed herself a small smile.
"They was right, that colour looks good on yer an' I fink I's dun a fittin' job so far."
Stirring Ursa into action the younger girl pulled a haevy full length mirror over and stepped asside so that Sonja could see.
Greta nodded to her reflection.
"Don't be forgettin' m'lady that yer under dress will be heavy cream silk, 'e brought it for his...."
She stopped herself again, flashing Ursa a quick look.
"It cummed from one of them foreign countries, yer know?"

Sherona

Sonja was unprepared for the weight of the material, the velvet hanging heavily from her shoulders. Yet when she twisted around to see what Ursa was doing at her back, she found that the material moved easily enough. Holding still while the seamstress and maid fussed with the pins, the train, and the sleeves, wondering all the while who had thought that the most unwieldy design is fashionable.

Her hands run across the material, careful of the pins, over her belly and fingers the long sleeves, gently. A grin almost formed when she thought of catching the sleeves on fire when she was working with her fire balls, but the pang that hit her reminding her of her loss quickly wiped the gentle lifting from her lips.

She too begins to eye herself critically in the mirror, and grudgingly had to admit the blue did look lovely with her dark hair and eyes. "You did a wonderful job I am sure. It is too bad the dress is wasted on one who has no business all dressed out."

Turning to get a view from the side, Sonja almost missed the look between Ursa and Greta. Dark brows furrow together slightly as she turns, awkwardly as when the few times she has worn a dress it was a simple calico and nothing so grand as this. "Brought for whom? I really don't want to take someone elses things, especially if its expensive. I am sure that the shift I wear now will be fine." She keeps a careful eye on the two of them, the feeling that they were hiding something stronger then ever now.

Elvi

"Well....It is a special occassion M'Lady..."
Ursa chipped in while the older woman bent to mark the hem for adjustment.
"It doesn't happen every day does it?"

Greta almost froze rigid when Sonja demanded to know what she had not said, but Ursa was quick to speak for her.
"No.....no M'Lady, you aren't taking it from anyone, well... not in that way in any case."
She smiled.
"His Majesty likes fabrics, silks and satins and thick velvets...This..."
Carefully Ursa ran her hand over the velvet, taking great care not to ruffle the nap of the fabric.
".....this and the silk have come from his sort of ....well... private collection..."

Sherona

Glaring openly now, tired of the cat and mouse game, Sonja begins to deliberatly pull any pins that she could find, discarding them one by one onto the floor. "Then let him where the gown. Until someone tells me what in the gods' name is going on, what your" a finger jabs toward Greta, "not telling me I have had enough." Though her finger had jabbed at the seamstress her hard glare was fixed upon the maid, she seeming to be the one who is in charge of this show. Her fingers continue trying to work the pins loose, slowly wincing only when a few jabbed into her thumb from inept handling.

Elvi

"Well well....our guest seems to have become a little churlish..."
The deep male voice came from by the window.
"Perhaps she is still over tired after her terrible ordeal in the forest?"

Borghast stepped out from his hiding place behind the heavy draped curtains, a long fine silver dagger in one hand, half eaten apple in the other, he stood and smiled at those in front of him.

Propped with cushions, upon the wide stone window ledge and tucked behind the drapery, the King had been there for some time.
It was his favourite place to sit when he needed peace and quiet.
Spending many hours there watching the world go by, his own little sanctuary and a place he saw no reason to move from while the women saw to his guest's needs. Infact he had been quite ammused as he sat and listened, not often being able to hear the gossip of the working women.  Something he missed from his youth, when his maid had taken him everywhere with her.

He turned his smile to the two servants and gave them a quick nod of his head.
"Leave us, you can return when the Lady Sonja has had a short rest..."

Flustered, the two women gave a quick curtsie, they were dumbstruck at his sudden appearance. Turning quickly they bustled to and out of the door, almost tripping over each other as they left...

Sherona

Sonja had just finished pulling another pin when the undeniably masculine voice sounded from behind her. Startled, she turns almost tripping over the unaccustomed train of the thick material, her glare slipping only slightly. She backs away, and the way the two servants scurry to leave causes her concern. While she does not want to be left alone with him, she does not reduce herself to calling for one of them to stay.

Instead she returns her angry gaze toward the King, her surprise at his appearance leaving and in its wake a fear began to form. Regretting pulling the pins now, somehow standing with partially opened dress in front of him putting her at a disadvantage it seems. Pressing her lips together, her jaw clenching to stop the shudder that runs through her, Sonja watches him, and his dagger warily.

"What I am tired of is this game you seem to wish to play." Her voice heavy, spoken in low tones so that she could retain some control on the warble that might have ran through it. Her body was tense, much like that of a deer knowing it was caught in the Hunter's gaze, right before it bolts even though it knows it is futile.

Elvi

Borghast stood, peeling another slice from his apple and eating it, almost to the point of ignoring her, until she spoke.
He looked up as he swallowed, one eyebrow raised at the words she spoke.
"And I thought Ingram had explained it all to you."
He sighed, looking dissapointed.
"I'll have to have him flogged for this and I so hate doing that to my closest friends..."

Jiggling the dagger loosley between thumb and forfinger, he looked at her for a moment.
"If you don't want the dress, then the matter is over, take it off."
A small smile crept across his lips.
"Oh and the shift, that was linnen from my personal cloth as well...."   

Sherona

Sonja desperately tried to hide any vestige of fear from him, trying to keep her gaze closed and unreadable, trying to force herself to not step backwards. Not to give him any ground. She had known that the risk of being caught was great, but had always assumed once caught she would have been hanged, or perhaps beheaded. Sonja is woefully unprepared for her powers to be apparently stripped, and toyed with.

"Flog whoever you want..enjoy your days of tyranny, for they will not last." bravely spoken, though she did not feel so very brave now, Sonja could not bring herself to turn her back on this man. Having to give up that little bit of illusionary control, she settled on staring back at him coldly, or atleast what she hopes is coldly. Though the mere fact that he so easily speaks of punishing his aids sends a chill through her.

"Much like yourself, and your servants, he was vague. I am entitled to such answers as to  when my execution is scheduled." Her knees are watery, threatening to buckle at her words, though she manages to stay upright through sheer force of will, hoping he did not see the effort she was putting in. "I will keep the clothing until you see fit to return what is mine, though from what the seamstress says my own has already been discarded."

Elvi

He shrugged his indifference,seeming more interested in choosing his next slice of apple than looking at her.
"Well I can have them replaced....I am sure there is a swine heard somewhere who's clothes aren't too well made for you in exchange."

Borghast gave her a quick nod, before turning on his heals and heading back to his perch by the window.
"Now....if you wouldn't mind, I would like to enjoy the setting sun, it's going to be a very busy day tomorrow..... for all of us ......"

Sherona

She knew that this was just another part of his game, to make her irritated, fearful, and confused at wondering what his game was. Yet she could not help feeling all of these, nor could she keep the annoyed sigh from escaping. Her late father had always said her inability to keep her emotions in check would be her downfall, and she was starting to believe it.

Her dark eyes narrow at his insulting tones, but she does not lash out angrily, instead she just put a thin smile on and responded "Your seamstress has my measurements, do be sure that the clothing is washed. By all means, I wouldn't want your enjoyment hindered by my presence." Again she uses sarcasm as a shield, and while she does not really hope to get away with it she sweeps, or rather manages, to walk towards the exit the servants had left rather then to the door to the chambers she had waken in.

Elvi

Turning his head towards her, ammused in the way she tried to hide her anger and frustration.
For a moment he had an image of his mother, doing the exact same thing, she had been a woman to admire, a strong will and a firy temper that even his father had fliched from at times.

"What and have you indebted to me for the use of soap?"

Borghast laughed, his deap hazel eyes showing genuine mirth as he watched her head towards the wrong door.
"Oh....and I think you will find M'Lady, that you are flouncing in the wrong direction..."

Sherona

Sonja stops at his words, her eyes shifting over her shoulder flat and angry, with just a bit of irritation thrown in for good measure. "It is not incurring debt having property replaced by the person at fault for its destruction." She started again, only to stop once more to add, "I don't flounce and my sense of direction is impeccable." That said, however, she does turn, feeling her point was made she made her way back toward the 'correct' door. She does note the exact window and location of his 'perch' however, so perhaps this encounter was not a total loss for her end.

Elvi

It was obvious from the huge grin that, sat on his face, that he found Sonja
highly ammusing.
Her comment about her clothes solicited a small bow of his head.
"Very well M'lady, I shall have them laundered, then have then sent to the smithy, so that the burn holes and singing may be replace also."

Turning his back on her he sat back down, then called loudly enough for her to hear as she entered her room.
"And I am sure you won't mind your right breast being out in the cold...."

With a quick flick of his dagger, he sliced another mouthful of apple and place it in his mouth. Savouring the taste he returned his attention to the rolling clouds which he viewed from his window.

Sherona

Sonja's only response to his words, and that infuriating grin, was a very satisfying slam of the door. If the walls were not too thick, it might be easy for him to hear the stream of decidedly unlady-like words spewing forth from her as she wrestles the heavy material of the unfinished gown from her shoulders. Sliding it off, finally, Sonja does take the time to drape it as best she could over the chair that occupies the rather bare room, out of difference for Greta's workmanship, not for Borghast's money he spent on the material.

For a long while her anger sustains her, pacing and cursing intermitantly. However, much as a candle that burns too bright, the fuel is quickly spent. And there in her solitude, or she assumes solitude after the man's sudden appearance from within the drapes she has decided not to take anything for granted, that she finally runs out of steam.

Sitting heavily on the bed, causing the springs to groan from the stress, Sonja draws up her knees to hug them to her chest, the shift cool against her cheek. Her thoughts whirled around the events of the morrow, picturing public execution, praying for strength to retain some dignity, to thoughts of Eva. She also remembered Jacov and each of the faces that she possibly caused a shorter life to, but Eva is who she kept returning too.

Laying down, still curled, Sonja did not sleep, instead she simply let the dampness on her cheeks feed the dark pit of hatred within her stomach, that steadily has been growing.

Elvi

It was some time later when Ursa crept quietly into the room.
She placed a set of clothing on the bed, although it was clean, there was an acrid smell of burnt, singed leather and fabric upon them.

As Sonja hadn't moved, the young girl set to replacing the almost dead candles, soon filling the room with a far brighter light.
Her duties performed, she moved back to the chair to pick up the disguarded, half made dress.

Ursa sighed, running her hands over the soft luxurious fabric, she could only dream of owning even a scrap of it and for that she would have paid dearly, simply so she could run her hand over it now and then to savour it's softness.
She had no idea why Sonja would even think of refusing such a gift and choose to wear a swine heards clothes instead, surely she was an ungrateful and ignorant woman.

Sherona

The smell of singed leather is a unique smell, and pungent, the first whiff that reaches the sleeping woman slightly nudges her from sleep. However she fights the wakefulness, preferring the comfort of dark nothingness. As the maid lit the candles one, by one, brightening the room Sonja's wakefulness grew exponentially, until finally her dark eyes reluctantly open, to watch silently the maid's obvious admiration of the fabric.

Her eyes drop to the clothing on the bed, and recognizes the burned scent with a harsh bark of laughter. "The bastard.." was muttered under her breath as she reaches for the leather attire. Apparently he had done exactly what he had said, though she has not inspected the garment to find exactly where the holes were burned at.

"Thank you.." She says a bit louder, her pretense of nonchalance dropped now. Picking up the material inspecting first the top, then the bottom trying to judge just where the holes would lay against her body. "I hope I haven't caused your job to be too much more difficult."