What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobo

Yeah, I read that the combat simulation wasn't very good. But I'm more into the trading part of these games anyway. Thanks for the advice.  :-)

Hemingway

I bought Duke Nukem Forever on the Steam sale, and ... at the risk of heresy, I'm kinda enjoying it. It's not a fantastic game by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say it's on par with Modern Warfare 3 ( which I think is the weakest of any CoD game I've ever played, even more so than Black Ops - but still a decent way to kill a few hours ). I think if there's one thing I like about this game - and I think this is sort of the point - it's how unabashedly juvenile it is.

Besides, two sisters are teleported off just as they're about to kiss. We've all been there. Who wouldn't be pissed?

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 01, 2012, 06:02:18 PM
I bought Duke Nukem Forever on the Steam sale, and ... at the risk of heresy, I'm kinda enjoying it. It's not a fantastic game by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say it's on par with Modern Warfare 3 ( which I think is the weakest of any CoD game I've ever played, even more so than Black Ops - but still a decent way to kill a few hours ). I think if there's one thing I like about this game - and I think this is sort of the point - it's how unabashedly juvenile it is.

Besides, two sisters are teleported off just as they're about to kiss. We've all been there. Who wouldn't be pissed?
I figured any game that spent thirteen plus years in development hell wouldn't be any good. In fact I don't think any game that spends longer than about five years in development is any good, maybe six. I'm lenient. Two to five years is optimal release time for a game for various reasons. Mostly though, Duke's jut not my thing. I didn't grow up with his games, so there's no nostalgia, and I need another FPS like I need to die again in Dark Souls.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 01, 2012, 06:31:04 PM
I figured any game that spent thirteen plus years in development hell wouldn't be any good. In fact I don't think any game that spends longer than about five years in development is any good, maybe six. I'm lenient. Two to five years is optimal release time for a game for various reasons. Mostly though, Duke's jut not my thing. I didn't grow up with his games, so there's no nostalgia, and I need another FPS like I need to die again in Dark Souls.

You given up on Dark Souls yet? Because, let me tell you, it only gets worse ( or better, if you're masochistic - and why else would you be playing the game? ). If you thought the Capra Demon was hard, try fighting two bosses, who start the fight individually weak but strong together, and then, when one dies, get incredibly difficult alone.

Capone

I tried to enjoy Duke Nukem Forever for what it was, but the game just has too many problems.

The biggest of which is giving Duke health like it's a duck and cover shooter while programming the enemies with run-and-gun A.I. In order for Duck and Cover to work, the enemies also have to be using duck and cover. This gives the player time to recharge shields or health or what have you.

This doesn't work if all of the enemies are charging around the corner without giving the player a break.

As a sort of melting pot of other game ideas, Duke Nukem Forever is interesting. However, it's also a perfect example that just because something is good in the context of one game doesn't mean it is good in the context of another.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the game controls better on PC. Typically, I find the keyboard and mouse uncomfortable and find the controller satisfying. This is not one of those times.

LunarSage

I just bought Batman: Arkham Asylum for the 360.  My first console game in quite awhile.  I was able to afford it since it's a $20 Platimum Hit now.  I've heard great things about it but we'll see.

Oh and I also bought X-Men: Legends for the PS2 today, which I -loved- when it was new.  We'll see if time allows it to remain awesome.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 01, 2012, 06:47:27 PM
You given up on Dark Souls yet? Because, let me tell you, it only gets worse ( or better, if you're masochistic - and why else would you be playing the game? ). If you thought the Capra Demon was hard, try fighting two bosses, who start the fight individually weak but strong together, and then, when one dies, get incredibly difficult alone.
Meh, pretty much. It's not worth the effort it takes to actually play the game. I started a new Skyrim game. Though I'm thinking about an Artificer build.

You do nothing but Smithing, Alchemy, and Enchanting. Plus whatever armor and weapons you smith obviously.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Wolfy

Quote from: LunarSage on February 01, 2012, 07:30:03 PM
I just bought Batman: Arkham Asylum for the 360.  My first console game in quite awhile.  I was able to afford it since it's a $20 Platimum Hit now.  I've heard great things about it but we'll see.

Oh and I also bought X-Men: Legends for the PS2 today, which I -loved- when it was new.  We'll see if time allows it to remain awesome.

You just said "We'll See" about a game that is as outstanding as Batman: AA?

D: What is wrong with you, man? It's the Goddamn Batman!

Sabby

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on February 01, 2012, 09:42:48 PM
...is that... a bacon flower? O.O

Yes it is.

And it's for you.

I guess you could say..I want your bacon bits? :D

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Smithing, even with all the grind you have to put into it, still manages to come out cheaper than actually buying the weapons. I just make iron daggers and sell them. They're the easiest. It doesn't matter what you make. :]

DudelRok

Quote from: Oniya on February 02, 2012, 04:04:39 PM
And how to make them.

Oh my god, YES!

So hungry... so, very hungry.

Anyway... aside from modding the crud out of my Minecraft client, I've also started my dabble into Gen IV Pokemon with Platinum. Due to some limitations of my choice of play I can't really get all the features which is kind of depressing and slightly turns me off from it.

Gonna start Final Fantasy I for the third time sometime over the weekend...

Did I mention Minecraft?

Lots and lots of Minecraft.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Wolfy

PS3.

Lots and Lots of PS3...

Just beat Infamous 2 a moment ago..will have to play through it again and go the infamous route to see the other side of the story...

Also been playing uncharted 3 and Shadow of the Colossus again.

Hemingway

The question is

can you HANDLE

Dark Souls?

Actually, I heard Demon's Souls was more difficult, but w/e.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 03, 2012, 08:30:55 PM
The question is

can you HANDLE

Dark Souls?

Actually, I heard Demon's Souls was more difficult, but w/e.
That's not fair, even the consoles can't handle Dark Souls just look at that shutter and lag. :D *da-dum tish!*

Capone

Quote from: Wolfy on February 03, 2012, 07:57:32 PM
PS3.

Lots and Lots of PS3...

Just beat Infamous 2 a moment ago..will have to play through it again and go the infamous route to see the other side of the story...

Also been playing uncharted 3 and Shadow of the Colossus again.

I think I'd rank inFamous and inFamous 2 as my favorite games played last year on the whole. Good gameplay, and while I feel the narrative was delivered poorly in the first game, they really pulled it off in the second.

At some point next week I'll be getting the new ResiEvil for the 3DS, so that'll be my portable offering for a while. Trying to figure out what to play on Xbox/PS3 after Vanquish. Just finished Act 3, where I ran into a foe that doesn't communicate its one-hit-kill attack well at all. That sort of thing really pisses me off. If you announce a one-hit kill coming, then I'm fine with it. Chainsaw Mudder-Fugger from Resident Evil 4, for example. You hear the chainsaw, so you know to watch out for him. Then, when you see him, he is slow-moving, so you have time to knock him down. I mean, really, it's guys like him that I saved grenades. So you can prepare for and avoid the one-hit-kill.

This fucking monster just lunges, and if you're in ten feet of him, you don't have reaction time to dodge. Which sucks, because the only weapons I like in the game are the assault rifle, shotgun and sniper rifle, and the shotgun (close range weapon) is the most useful against him.

Inkidu

I downloaded UFO: Alien Attack, which is a X-Com-like game (from my understanding it's pretty close to the original) that's free. It needs some polish, but again it's free. They never ask a dime. My only complaint and it's really inescapable is that saving the world is more like doing a budget. I feel like I should have excel open. I think that tracking each clip of ammo gets a bit excessive, especially where small arms are concerned. Still, nothing beats luring the enemy into sniper fire from a second story window.

"Private Jensen, let me be frank. I know you're trying to save the world and all, but you shot three clips of ammo. That's more than you're allotted for this fiscal quarter. These clips cost money. 30cred a head in fact. With all our spending into top-secret reverse engineering we can't have you shooting from the hip like some cowboy. I'm afraid now all you can go into combat with is this trench knife."

Brandon

Micromanaging equipment and costs/earns is a part of the X-Com games. Its one of the many reasons why theyre so deep and fun.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Yesterday I went out to get some games. I was looking for Uncharted and Heavy Rain. What did I end up getting? The Metal Gear HD re-release pack and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Yeah.

Yeah, that's right. 4 games. Woo!

LunarSage

Quote from: Hemingway on February 05, 2012, 08:18:40 AM
re-release pack and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Is that PS3 exclusive?

I was disappointed when I discovered GoW 3 was.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Capone

Metal Gear is pretty much a Playstation series for the most part. I honestly wouldn't be able to handle that much Metal Gear. I couldn't beat the second one and have no interest in the third, and bought the fourth because...it was part of a sale? I can't even remember. I think it was a buy one get one half off, and ...hm. Probably a bad choice.

Resident Evil: Revelations soon!

Hemingway

The Metal Gear HD re-release ( Metal Gear 2, 3 and Peace Walker ) is not PS3 exclusive. It's available for Xbox, too. I'm playing them in the order they were released, so starting with Sons of Liberty. Probably the only Metal Gear game I never had any interest in. It's sort of awkward, the controls and such, but it seems like a decent enough game. I'm really looking forward to Snake Eater, though.

DeadCell

Currently playing a game called Medieval 2 Total War :D

ONS AND OFFS / Click Me For Story Ideas /
What is the colour of night?