Organizing PMs

Started by HockeyGod, January 10, 2011, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

Is there any way to add the ability to organize PMs using the search function?

For example, I search on "McNair" in my PMs which brings me a list of PMs that contain "McNair." I now want to label these as McNair, but I can't see how that is possible. There are no check boxes or drop down label field.

Vekseid

Easiest way is to use the message rules.

HockeyGod

Just to clarify, this doesn't do past messages, correct?

Xillen

IIRC there is an option to apply it to existing messages as well, though I could be wrong.

EDIT: I verified it. Manage your rules at the bottom left. Then select all your rules and click Apply Rules Now

Captain Maltese

Is there an upper limit to the number of PMs an inbox can have? I am closing in on 10.000 and am getting worried.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Xillen

I did discover a limit of 61 labels a while ago. Not sure if it still in place.

As for actual PMs, no clue. I doubt you'll be topping at 10k PMs, though.

Vekseid

Quote from: Captain Maltese on January 12, 2011, 06:53:08 AM
Is there an upper limit to the number of PMs an inbox can have? I am closing in on 10.000 and am getting worried.

There's no PM limit per se. You'll just slow down a bit.

DiverseDesires

sorry - not one but three questions......

Is there any way of downloading your PM's in bulk as text files or something similar?  Especially in groups.

Also can you search 'sent items' not just recieved?

Any lessons/tips anywhere on creating rules?

Thank you

D D x x x
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Caeli

Quote from: DiverseDesires on January 12, 2011, 03:12:55 PMIs there any way of downloading your PM's in bulk as text files or something similar?  Especially in groups.

Also can you search 'sent items' not just recieved?

Never apologize for asking questions. :)

1. I do not believe so. I know that threads have a print function, but I just checked the PM inbox and that option isn't available for PMs.

2. You cannot. :( Quite unfortunate.

QuoteAny lessons/tips anywhere on creating rules?

PM me your questions? Or you can ask them here, I use rules to organize my own inbox. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

DiverseDesires

Quote from: Caeli on January 12, 2011, 03:39:38 PM
Never apologize for asking questions. :)

1. I do not believe so. I know that threads have a print function, but I just checked the PM inbox and that option isn't available for PMs.

2. You cannot. :( Quite unfortunate.

PM me your questions? Or you can ask them here, I use rules to organize my own inbox. :)

Thank you for answering all of those, I must admit I was hoping for a way of downloading - as on other forums I've found it the easiest way to keep my inbox emptied regularly and also a way to sort and find things - so I'll definitely be taking you up on your offer - if you don't mind.  Please can you give some examples of rules you use? 

*wishes she could search her sent items* would a magic wand help?   ;D
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Xillen

A very easy rule would be to move posts from people you PM with frequently to their own group. Say, as an example, you wanted you group all PMs you receive from me.

First, in your Messages page, you click on Manage Labels at the bottom left. At the box called Label name, you enter something like: PMs from Xillen. Then click Add New Label.

Then, still in your Messages page, you click Manage Rules at the bottom left. Then click Add New Rule at the bottom right.

Name of the rule is something you can recognize it by. You could call it something like "Sorting Xillen's PMs". This is just a description for yourself.
Set "Choose Criteria" to "Sender Name" and fill in "Xillen" in the box after it.
Under actions, choose "Label message with" and then choose "PMs from Xillen" or whatever you called the label.
Then click Save Rule at the bottom right.

From then on, all PMs I will send you, will arrive in the "PMs from Xillen" box, and no longer in the regular inbox. All PMs you already have will be untouched.
By returning to "Manage Rules" in the bottom left, you can apply rules to messages that are already in your inbox since before you wrote the rule.
Simply select the rules you wish to activate retroactively, and then click Apply Rules Now in the bottom right.

A note on the "When Checking Criteria", this is basically an AND or OR option. For example, if you want PMs from three different people all in the same box, you only need one rule for that.
Simply click (Add Criteria) twice, choose "Sender Name" for all three lines, and enter one nickname on each line. Then set checking option to "Any criteria can be met", so if the PM is from the first user OR the second user OR the third user, it will trigger.

Just replace Xillen by someone you PM with and see how it works. From there on, just play around with the criteria settings to see which options you have, and how you can use them.

DiverseDesires

Thank you so much for that Xillen. After one false start I now have a new rule - Yay! *hugs Xillen*  I really appreciate you explaining it

D D x x x x

*goes off to play with her PM's*

Xillen

You're welcome. :)

Enjoy!

DiverseDesires

I am!

~ dashes back in to give him a kiss - just because.... ~  *giggles*