WoD Mortals (looking for 1-2 more)

Started by JohnTheGreat, January 01, 2014, 07:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTheGreat

*Edit*Looks like this is going ahead but another 1-2 players would be cool.*Edit*

So far the premises would be a shorter length game with the option to grow into something bigger later rather than start off a grand campaign and just hope people stay interested. I'd also be looking to focus more on the little things, instead of getting mixed up in vampire politics and god-machine meta plots I'd want to do more haunted house kind of stuff. Very low key with characters that know little, if anything, of what's really out there in the dark.
I'd also run it rules light, obviously still using the nWoD system but not making you roll every little thing. As well being WoD there would be adult themes, and being E we'd probably take it a little further than that in places.

The game location has been decided:

Petit Château was once a grand hotel, built in 1919 it became popular in the mid 20s and was for a short while known as the place to be in the city on a Saturday night. During the Great Depression the hotel looked like it was about to go out of business but in 1938 the owner reportedly committed suicide after taking out a substantial life insurance policy. His children were able to stay afloat with the money and thrive for a time but in the mid 50s a run of bad luck began.
Nothing out of the ordinary happened, a few accidents, the occasional suicide, some maintenance issues. Nothing every other hotel hasn’t seen as well but each slowly eroded the good name of the hotel.
The building stayed in the family for many more years but in the late 70s it was shut down and sold off a few years later. It had a grant reopening on New Years of 1980 and the new owners, a group of faceless investors, fixed the old girl up enough that the hotel thrived again but it was never able to fully get over its streak of bad luck. There were still problems, only now they were being covered up better.
In the build up to the year 2000 the building was suddenly, and quietly sold off again, this time to a company that owned a chain of hotels along the East Coast. Huge amounts of time, money and effort were thrown at the building to ‘modernize’ it however the project was abandoned early on and it once again languished.
Now, a decade later, the building is being fixed up once more and the rumours are flying about how it is being done in preparation for a sale.

Lobby

Main hall

Lounge

Bar

An example of one of the ‘modern’ rooms (floors 1-12)

Example of a ‘classic’ room (floors 13-20)

IStateYourName

What sort of plotline would you have in mind?  Classic horror where the characters get picked off one by one?  Some ancient mystery with hints of Lovecraft, only tilted toward non-con sex rather than gore?

Roo

I would definitely be interested in this, whether it is a shorter game or something that runs longer. (That said, I don't have access many post-print NWoD books, so I don't have god-machine material for background reference. It sounds like that won't be necessary, but I just wanted to clarify.)

Would some fledgling reporters for a tabloid rag investigating some unbelievable news story be comparable to what you were thinking about characters having relatively little knowledge of the supernatural?
"Are you crazy, is that your problem?" -Jack Burton

JohnTheGreat

IStateYourName: The plot I had in mind was more along the lines of Lovecraft stuff. Lots of weird shit, less things to shoot at. Not ancient mystery, but mystery and odd things happening rather than being dropped in the woods and hunted down by something.

Roo: Nothing wrong with not having God Machine Chronicles or anything, and that is exactly the kind of character I'd like to see.

kckolbe

I'll be watching.  Mundane characters, weird shit, and a system is about as much as I can ask for in a group game.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

JohnTheGreat

Alrighty now that we've got at least some interest I'll expand on my ideas a little.

I was thinking this would be done in a small sandbox environment, somewhere like a hotel or maybe university, a place where all kinds of people live and work.

There would be strange happenings but for the most part they would be ignored, your characters would be the ones to question it though, whether that's because you live there and don't like not knowing, have a professional interest or were unlucky enough to get caught in the middle of something.

From there it will be entirely up to you guys how to proceed, I'll drop hints but try not to push you towards anything. Having said that I find sandbox games are usually too open ended for anything but the most co ordinated groups so limiting it to an area like a hotel or university would be my way around that.

I'd expect a lot of side stuff going on in PMs with no one person having all the answers but everyone getting a few prices of the puzzle.

Also sexytimes will be entirely up to the players but if people won't be put off by it there are some things that could turn rapey very quickly.

eternaldarkness

I'm interested in this and I will bookmark and follow the thread. I like the idea of the pc's having a common link such as being investigators, working or living in the same place and so on. And also, the GMC rules update is downloadable for free on drivethrurpg, and it has everything a mortal could want and then some.

Roo

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 07, 2014, 08:04:33 PM
And also, the GMC rules update is downloadable for free on drivethrurpg, and it has everything a mortal could want and then some.

I'm still interested, but this is more to ask eternaldarkness about GMC; is that a WoD core book update? I had thought it was a separate supplement entirely that I'd have to track down. (I've gotten woefully behind on WoD publications since they have gone to an epub format.)

To respond to JohntheGreat's "rapey" concept--I'm fine with non-con in games as long as it is material to the story, which I assume with horror elements invoked it would be, and I know OOC it is going to happen.

JohnTheGreat

Cool, that wasn't anything I was going to drop on anyone without discussing it OOC first and I'm hoping to make it very relevant to the story so we could discuss that in private if this takes off.
Speaking of which if that's 4 interested that's enough, we just might need a couple more to cover drop outs.

Roo

Yay! Will you want proper character sheets and all or something less formal?

JohnTheGreat

I was thinking proper sheets but forget things like vices. Just dots in skills, attributes and merits the a little background on your character.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Roo on January 07, 2014, 08:16:08 PM
I'm still interested, but this is more to ask eternaldarkness about GMC; is that a WoD core book update? I had thought it was a separate supplement entirely that I'd have to track down. (I've gotten woefully behind on WoD publications since they have gone to an epub format.)

To respond to JohntheGreat's "rapey" concept--I'm fine with non-con in games as long as it is material to the story, which I assume with horror elements invoked it would be, and I know OOC it is going to happen.

It's a free update to the basic NWoD blue book with the GMC stuff. I have actually played with GMC rules and it is immensely better in every way. It actually makes the rules work in a consistent, logical manner and makes things like social skills really, really useful and combat more detailed but not hugely more complicated. It actually matters if you use a knife in a gunfight, and the emchanics reflect that now better than just a few extra dice. guns are actually scary, and going unarmed against an armed opponent is not something you do lightly.

As for rape, i'm fine with it in the context of the story. One of the elements i enjoy, actually.

Jaded

I'd be interested, though am not sure on a character concept yet. 

JohnTheGreat

It might help people decide on characters if we knew if we wanted to go haunted hotel or haunted campus.

I was leaning towards campus but now I'm thinking hotel.

Roo

I would probably be happy either way, thought if we go with a campus, I think I could be a journalism student into fringe news stories, etc. But there's no reason such a person might not be drawn to a hotel that has rumors lingering around it on the internet either . . .

Jaded

Either is fine by me.  Though I might lean towards a hotel.

eternaldarkness

I'm leaning toward hotel, myself. I have been in way too many games that centered around a college campus, unless the campus in question is like an exclusive boarding school with an interesting history in an area with a lot of equally interesting things going on for us to investigate. I'd be all over that.

kckolbe

I think that hotel allows more freedom of character concept.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

JohnTheGreat

Hotel seems to be ahead for now so I might say yes, it will be hotel.

JohnTheGreat

So this is what I've got so far, I think I might wait to do up NPCs and things until after player characters are done so that I'm not limiting any of you. It'll generally just be the important hotel staff; manager, receptionist, a couple of maids, maintenance guy, bartender, etc. As well there will be at least a couple of regular/permanent guests.

Spoilering this and moving it to the top.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Petit Château was once a grand hotel, built in 1919 it became popular in the mid 20s and was for a short while known as the place to be in the city on a Saturday night. During the Great Depression the hotel looked like it was about to go out of business but in 1938 the owner reportedly committed suicide after taking out a substantial life insurance policy. His children were able to stay afloat with the money and thrive for a time but in the mid 50s a run of bad luck began.
Nothing out of the ordinary happened, a few accidents, the occasional suicide, some maintenance issues. Nothing every other hotel hasn’t seen as well but each slowly eroded the good name of the hotel.
The building stayed in the family for many more years but in the late 70s it was shut down and sold off a few years later. It had a grant reopening on New Years of 1980 and the new owners, a group of faceless investors, fixed the old girl up enough that the hotel thrived again but it was never able to fully get over its streak of bad luck. There were still problems, only now they were being covered up better.
In the build up to the year 2000 the building was suddenly, and quietly sold off again, this time to a company that owned a chain of hotels along the East Coast. Huge amounts of time, money and effort were thrown at the building to ‘modernize’ it however the project was abandoned early on and it once again languished.
Now, a decade later, the building is being fixed up once more and the rumours are flying about how it is being done in preparation for a sale.

Lobby

Main hall

Lounge

Bar

An example of one of the ‘modern’ rooms (floors 1-12)

Example of a ‘classic’ room (floors 13-20)

Roo

So should we be pulling characters together now to post here?

JohnTheGreat

I'd still like another 1 or 2 players I think but yes, lets get started on characters.

kckolbe

So would a night security guard for the hotel be an acceptable concept?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=757380

Been a while since I played WoD, not sure what else is needed mechanically.

Intro Thread

JohnTheGreat

Jaded

I am thinking an Assistant Manager of some sort.  She would have just moved to the city to take the job, is fairly new, etc.  Still a work in progress obviously. ;)

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=757812
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide