The Stretch (EX)

Started by Xanthaine, December 06, 2010, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanthaine

"... but The Stretch is the most godforsaken piece of land in these new United States of America. Miles and miles of unforgiving territory full of bandits, thieves, fugitives and all other sorts of bad people. The land itself is barren hateful wastes, split by the occasional ramshackle settlement. The trails go on forever and the valleys and cliffs have few landmarks... to travel across this hateful place would be akin to walking through the very gates of hell itself. While in this place you can find anything you could ever desire, it always comes as a price... be it dollars now or death later... it always comes at a price.
From 'The Worst of the West' By Jack Haddington of London. 1821.

In the town or Sutton, in the southern part of The Stretch, you would find very little. A stable, a Saloon, a general store, a gun shop, a bank and a lot of houses, some of them even lived in. You could walk into that den of sin and debauchery they call the saloon and wake up three days and three hundred dollars later outside the town with no memory of the last few days. Every stranger who finds themselves on this most terrible stretch of prairie ends up here, the booze and the... loose people of both genders... are just too good to pass up.

So, I'm thinking we all start somewhere in Sutton and try and work our way north and out of The Stretch. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated, I've never done a western themed RP before.

Name: John 'Eight Fingers' Garrett

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Gear: John carries two revolvers and a shotgun for range and a cruel serrated knife along with his rope. He primarily wears leather and has a large Boxer called Gunner.

Personality: John is violent and slightly twisted, he never had high prospects and figured the best way to earn a buck was to earn a dishonest one. He can seem cold and aloof at first but can be one of the most loyal allies a person could have. He considers his dog his only real friend and his gun his only constant companion. If he ever talks about himself he is lying, considering his secrecy his armour. If you ever break that armour he will never forgive you... but he'll always respect you. Be warned over his stability, everyone has heard stories about Eight Fingers, ranging from vaguely unpleasant to utterly horrifying. He can never truly escape that little part of his brain that's always baying for blood. That or his mindless devotion to anything that can intoxicate him... making that little part of his brain seem so much bigger.

History: Everyone has heard stories of the infamous Eight Fingers. A man with more blood on his hands than disease and fewer morals than a Brothel. He has carved a path through America with a bloody knife, robbing banks, holding people for ransom and generally being a complete psychopath. He was a part of the Great Southern Railway Heist of '24 and the Trans American Bank Robberies of '26. He has been a gun for hire for many years and committed some of the most unspeakable acts in recent times. While not a good man he is often polite, like a pet snake, however, he may turn at any time. He has many scars, but the only two he'll ever be honest about are his two missing fingers, the little finger and middle finger of his left hand. The little one he lost in a bet with a man who later that week lost his whole left arm in mysterious circumstances, and the middle finger he lost for swearing at a drunk, who later quit drinking and joined a monastery. He'll only tell you this because those stories are the epitome of the legend that is John 'Eight Fingers' Garrett.

Appearance:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chrystal

Hmmm... I've not done a Western either and I would like to.

I wouldn't mind playing either a "Calamity Jane" like character, an Indian Squaw, or, if you have no objections to me trying to play a male character (something I've not done as a main character in a long while), perhaps the leader of a band of marauding Indians?

Just out of interest, is there a specific reason for everyone leaving town? I would presume that it relates to the reason the town is there in the first place: Most likely a gold mine, and if the mine is played out, the people leave!

Another possibly dumb question, why North? If the town is in the Southern part of The Stretch, wouldn't South be a more logical choice? I'm asking because these are questions my "Calamity Jane" like character would ask. As with the first question, I will offer a possible solution: The way South is barred by an impassible ravine. To the West there is no water for three days travel. To the east is Indian territory and the Natives are not particularly happy about the land they've been given!

All in all, a great idea and it looks fun.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Apple of Eris

Hi there, I think I'd be interested in this, I do like the western setting. So are the characters townsfolk or are we marauding good-for-nothings who rode into town and are now getting ready to leave and find a way out of The Stretch?

Uhm, just fyi, I'd play a female character, just what kind dependson who we're supposed to be in this group that leaves.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Chrystal

Quote from: Apple on December 06, 2010, 04:34:54 PM
Hi there, I think I'd be interested in this, I do like the western setting. So are the characters townsfolk or are we marauding good-for-nothings who rode into town and are now getting ready to leave and find a way out of The Stretch?

Uhm, just fyi, I'd play a female character, just what kind dependson who we're supposed to be in this group that leaves.

Heh. Basically the same question I asked...

Hi Apple. Nice to meet you. I'm Chrys.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Le Immortelle

Heh..and to think I was thinking of posting a wild west related interest check thread after the Gotham game got underway!

This idea looks great..and I would totally love to play a badass gunslinger! :D

Xanthaine

Well, my character's leaving town for his own reasons, and I was kind of thinking everyone else is too. If you prefer I can come up with something else.

Also, north is the only American civilization from The Stretch, meaning southwards we'd be running for the border, which I felt somehow cliche.

Well, the story would make more sense if we were all people with a 'past' be that bounty hunters, gunslingers or whatever. You could be a townsperson if you like but you'd have to have an RP reason to leave town, like wanderlust or something.

Hope that clears it all up, anything else just ask, I'm an approachable girl really. :-)

Chrystal

Sounds cool... I take it this is New Mexico or Arizona then?

Looking for a decent cowgirl image, I came across this:

Okay, enough silliness...

ARRRGH! Lots of very sexy cowgirl costumes, but very few of them would be practical for crossing a desert in!

AH. Now this one I like...

Name: Sara O'Donovan, AKA The Vixen
Sexuality: Gay - although she wouldn't put it in that way. She simply has a strong aversion to male company and finds women to be soft and comfortable.
Gear: Carries a single Colt 44 Army pistol with ivory handle, a twelve foot bullwhip and a Sharps "Business" buffalo rifle

Personality: Sara is feisty, and has a hot temper. Very much a Tomboy, she has so far resisted all attempts to tame her. She has a slight Irish brogue that comes out when she is upset or angry. Her temper often gets her into trouble.

History: Born in Ireland, she left the country with her parents to escape the great potato famine. Her parents settled in Chicago, but Sara sought fame and fortune and heeded the call to go West.

She soon learned that the only occupations open to a woman in the West were wife, dance hall girl, barmaid or prostitute, with the line between the last three being very fine! Rejecting these options, she turned to crime, holding up stage coaches and travellers at first, then becoming bolder and moving on to trains and banks. Pretty soon her face was on wanted posters across the State of Kansas. She moved South, crossing the Indian Territories and beginning her operations again in Texas. The Lone Star State, still recovering from the War, was a prime target for her. Here too, however, her notoriety began to precede her and she headed west into the New Mexico Territory. She found herself in The Strip by accident and drifted South until she came to Sutton.

This town, full of the dregs and sweepings of the road, was a perfect get-away and she stayed for as long as she could, until her money began to run short. And so, she has to leave, to head back into the dangerous, civilized areas of the West, where a girl's face, if recognised, could get her hung!
Appearance:

How's that?

Xanthaine

Looks good to me. John'll love her... he loves a good challenge, hehe. And in regards to where The Stretch is, my knowledge of American Geography is somewhat lacking, being a Brit. Rule Britannia and all that. :P

Chrystal

Me too... But I'm a history buff and a geek! And I loved J.T. Edson books when I was a teenager!

If you put it down in the bottom left hand corner of New Mexico, that would work rather well...

LeoStar

Name - Mike Gamble
Age - 24
Gender - Male
Sexuality – Heterosexual
Gear – collection of throwing knives hidden around his body, Specially designed waist coat, boots and other sheathes hidden on him for hiding knives and other small items. An old used Colt 44 by his side and a signature cowboy hat with the ace of spades sewn into the centre.

Personality – John is a very charismatic and friendly person, always willing to share a whisky and play a game of poker. He loves drinking, gambling and pub games, he looks to take as much enjoyment out of life as he can. John is a womaniser and a swindler going form town to town looking for women and earning a quick buck from anyone he can.

History – Mike Gamble is not is real name, but he doesn't see why anyone should know since he wont be around long enough for them to care. He was raised in an orphanage since he was a baby and was one of the many John Doe's of the Wild West. His Surname comes from him thinking that anyone who met him was taking a gamble, being as cocky as he is; he decided to take it as a surname to help warn people about him, that is if they can get the hint.

Named Mike by the orphanage he was able to keep (what he thinks) his fathers surname as a box containing a colt 44 pistol engraved with the name “J. Hall was with him when he was found. Growing up in the orphanage was not the best childhood for Mike, he left as soon as he turned 16, travelling America looking for excitement and wealth.

If you want more of the backstory just ask. I didn't want to take up too much space :P

Chrystal

LeoStar

ye... its hard to find a good mid twenty's cowboy pic, and its a good representation of what he looks like

Chrystal

*sings*

I got chills, They're multiplyin'
And I'm loosin' control,
For the power, you're suplyin'
It's electrifyin'!

LeoStar

No! I'm better than this. I wont go down to your level, not to mention i would have to sing the girls part....bugger it

"sings"

You better shape up'
Cause I need a man,
And my heart is set on you.
You better shape up,
You better understand
To my heart I must be true.

Lightshock16

Right, I've just been approved today and I REALLY Need some sort of RP To get myself Rolling...I dont remember ever doing a Western RP, so what a good place to start! :D

Name - Mark Raptor
Age - 19
Gender - Male
Sexuality – Heterosexual

Gear – Being more of a Melee fighter, he has several Throwing knives around him, clashed with Two larger Knives that HE uses when at Close Range. Nevertheless, HE does have a Colt 44 Pistol of his own, though it's actually in good condition due to the fact that Mark Rarely uses it.
Personality – Mark is generally a calm, cool-headed person, not one to start fights, though he's usually the one who end's up finishing them on top. He prefer's to keep his distance from people when first meeting them, thouh he warms up to people more after being around them for longer periods of time. Being rather young, Mark's sexual life isn't exactly flourishing, though he does still have one or two stories up his sleeve, and he's always looking for anyone willing enough to give him a ride (or vice versa).
History – Originally from The United Kingdom, before moving to Japan, and then ending up in America, Mark's used to Travelling, which is the reason he's always usually on the move. He ran away from home at the age of 15, mainly from finding things too boring for his liking. His preference for Melee combat came from some of the Techniques he witnessed in his short time living in Japan. HE actually has a Longsword in his room at his home, but he has no plans to return to take it, especially as he see's no use for a Longsword in the Stretch. Nevertheless, his Fighting Style with his Two Battle Knive's is greatly influenced by his experiences. sadly though, this love of Melee combat means MArk often falls short of his Mark when it comes to shooting, which he discovered to his cost when he tried shooting the leader of a gang causing trouble in a small town far from the Stretch, but ended up hitting a Barrel several yards to the left. He is currently Travelling America, looking for the thrills he never got with his family.

BraveEarth

This game looks interesting however being pressed for time and battery charge I really can't give anything that I want to say right now sorry >.>

Xanthaine

Looking good for now... just need more female characters. :p Worse comes to worst I can be a female character.

Le Immortelle

Finally, here she is.

Name: Emma Fletcher AKA The Catcher
Sexuality: Bisexual
Gear: Carries a machete hidden under her jacket, a Smith & Wasson No. 3 and Winchester Rifle.
Personality: Emma is a calm and composed person who usually prefers to leave others in mystery as to what she's about to do. One might think they know her and have figured her out but the next moment they typically end up finding themselves surprised. She likes to toy with people as long as it's not going to compromise with her goals or affect her.
History: Born in the state of Texas to ranchowner parents Emma's childhood was full of random bursts of violence, constant arguments between her parents and drunk rants of her father. She had no siblings and her mother ran away with one of her numerous lovers when Emma was about 11 years old. Since then her father's situation for progressively worse as he often brought prostitutes home and even beat them up on some occassions. Emma wasn't free of his wrath as she was in her teens by now and sensing the woman blossoming inside her he came on to her often but Emma managed to escape couple of times.

That was, until one night he tried to have his way with her by simply overpowering her, Emma stabbed him in the eyes with the scissors before, overcome with disgust tortured him for two days in succession and then left him for dead. With the man dead, Emma knew there wasn't much she could do and just grabbed whatever she could from the house and made an escape from the ranch. Already a wanted face by now, she knew it wasn't possibly anymore to survive via legitimate means and has resorted to the life of crime ever since. Being a part of such chaotic environment since her childhood she doesn't have much regard for human life and can turn into a killing machine when she wants to like the way she did in the bank robbery in La Grange.

Moving around constantly she landed up in Sutton, which seemed to be just the place made for her and a paradise for hedonism.
Appearance:

audioerotica

Howdy,

Looking for my first game and I rather enjoy a good western. Dont know if you want another DUDE, but I could play a ex-lawman who's family was murdered and now is a drunk. Let me know if you can use me and I'll start working on a character sheet.

Thanks

Chrystal

Well, first up, Welcome to E and congrats on being approved. Hope you had as much fun with that as I did!

audioerotica

Thanks, it took longer than expected...It was over the Thanksgiving day weekend.

I was wondering does anyone use dice in these forums or are most bulid a story?

How do you run your games?

:)

Chrystal

Personally, I rarely use dice.

Generally, the consent rule applies - meaning player consent rather than character consent. In other words, if your character takes a shot at mine, it's up to me whether you hit me and how much damage you do. Anything else is god-modding and is frowned upon! The exception to this is in the NC or EX forums where bondage is involved, in which case the player playing the dom(me) is generally assumed to have consent from the player playing the sub to do whatever the hell (s)he wants without asking first, as long as it is within the sub player's published O/Os and/or pre-agreed limits.

Does that make sense at all?

There are players who use systems for resolving PvP combat (PvNPC is usually pretty straight forward). In these systems I believe the dice roller features prominently. I've never used it myself, except a couple of test roles. Mostly vigilant GMing is sufficient to resolve any conflict in a sensible and amicable way.

For example... My character here has a Colt Army. Amazon's a S&W3. There is ZERO chance of Sara out-drawing Emma in a typical Western shoot-out, because the Colt has a much longer barrel and is therefore slower to get from the holster. However, the colt is more likely to hit at longer range! So, if the two of them did shoot it out, Emma would get the first shot off, but be less likely to hit than Sara. A vigilant GM would know this and spot if I posted that Sara out-drew Emma, and would PM both of us to see if the result was pre-agreed between us or if there was a bit of god-modding on my part going on.

Just an example.

audioerotica

Sounds good to me. I used to play D&D, and that is rules and dice heavy. I like the idea of being more free form in  the game play.

Thanks for the explanation.

:)

Apple of Eris

Here's my gal! Not a great gunslinger, but useful in other ways.

Name: Clara Emmett
Sexuality: Bisexual

Gear: Clara always travels with a deck or two of cards, a couple dice, and a handful of forged passports under a variety of names and nationalities. She carries a small pocket dagger no larger than a letter opener, and a revolver, an M1873 Peace Maker.

History: Clara was born in New York City, the third daughter of a well to do family. In her youth she was sent to private schools for the daughter's of the city's elite. While there Clara learned several languages and travelled frequently with her family, until she enrolled in Susquehanna Women's College. While there she became involved with one of the other students. When a rival exposed their affair Clara was expelled and eventually disowned by her family.
   Clara packed up some of her belongings, stole a revolver from her father as well as a wad of bills and headed to Philadelphia where her former lover lived. There, she found herself rejected and boarded a train west. As she traveled she learned from everyone she could, eventually becoming something of an accomplished gambler. When her money started to run low she began a series of scams in various towns in Kansas, which, when exposed forced her to move on. Over time her cons became more complex and she had several forged documents made to help in her scam. In her last scheme she posed as a British Countess and employed a pair of men to escort her. During the scam she had become close to one of the men, he taught her how to shoot and protect herself. When the scheme was exposed and the trio were forced to flee, the other man killed her new lover and then forced himself on her and then shot her.
   When he tried to flee, she managed to shoot him off his horse, killing him and recovering some of the money she had stolen; after days in the saddle, her horse rode into Sutton, Clara more dead than alive. After two weeks of being nursed back to health (in a room rented in the local brothel), Clara had made a full recovery. Unfortunately she had little left in the way of money and Sutton wasn't really big enough for her to even bother with. She plans to leave, find one or two more big scores and then head for San Francisco.

Personality: Clara is calm, cool, and collected. She isn't callous or nearly as hardened as the real killers of the West. She knows she's pretty and uses it as a weapon against both men and women, using her looks and intelligence to disarm her opponents. When speaking she has no noticeable accent, save for when she uses one when 'in character' on one of her schemes.

Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

ivygrowth

I'm interested if you are willing to include a newbie to the site and still have space.  Below is what I was thinking for a character.

--

Name: Victoria Cooper
Sexuality: Heterosexual

Victoria Cooper came to America with her family when she was a scant five years old.  They traveled west, seeking a fortune, and for a brief time even found it.  But when their lands were seized, and her family imprisoned or killed, Victoria found herself alone in a world she wasn't ready for. 

Victoria is in search of her place in the world.  She is genteel, and only moves from place to place as she doesn't know what else to do, and has yet to find some place she wants to settle down in.  Her father taught her how to fire a pistol with some accuracy, though she doesn't own anything more powerful than a derringer. 

Despite her soft appearance and lack of weaponry, Victoria is not a naive maiden.  She has learned much since she was forced out of her home, and is not above taking advantage of others to ensure her own survival and comfort. 

Gear: A decent stash of cash, a small derringer, and a knife.  She also owns a horse and several changes of clothing.

Personality:  Victoria is distant and cold by nature.  However when she needs something she is quite capable of turning on the charm.  She knows how to deal with people, she just doesn't like many of them. 

Xanthaine