Mafia Murder Theater: Casting of Romeo and Juliet - The Thespians Win!

Started by desert ashes, July 23, 2010, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert ashes

For the first time in fifty years since the grand de Chantal Theater  has opened its doors, living down the rumors of deadly scandal and deceit, a new set of investors has come calling to budding thespians.  Had the city forgotten how death and plague had once claimed the lives of those on the stage?  Perhaps the new generation of thespians and investors would not remember -- or perhaps it would simply do to liven up the marketing.  Who could resist the temptations of a potentially haunted theater?  All seemed to be going well for the owners of de Chantal Theater as they opened their doors and posted the first casting call -- suitably, of course, for Romeo and Juliet.

Yet, as the auditions unraveled and directors went behind closed doors, it seemed all was not well for the budding cast and crew of the theater.  Death was once more entering from stage left, his glinting scythe in hand and summoned at the call of the Understudies who felt nothing more than the lingering blood and star lust.  Who ever remembered the Understudies?  Primary roles were a rare chance ... unless, of course, their competition happened to exit stage left as nothing more than a ghost of what they arrived in. 

The final auditions have come to an end and while the investors and executive producers have been tucked away making their casting decisions, the ghosts of the de Chantal Theater are rattling their chains as the deathly cry for spotlight is becoming heard once again ...

Cast and Crew
Aiden — Thespian/Mercutio, Killed, Act 1 (Night)
Goober — Understudy/Montague, Lynched, Act 2 (Day)
Imogen — Stage Manager/Capulet, Killed, Act 3 (Night)
Izu
Kyrsa — Director/Tybalt, Lynched, Act 3 (Day)
Marguerite
Remiel
Rolin — Thespian/Benvolio, Killed, Act 4 (Night)
thirteenhearts — Understudy/Lady Capulet, Lynched, Act 1 (Day)
Valerian
Xandi — Thespain/Prince Escalus, Lynched, Act 4 (Day)

Thespians (Innocents) (6): The main core of the Cast and Crew, they are under siege from the Understudies (Thespians gone wrong) who are determined to eliminate their competition and secure their starring roles.  As a whole the Thespians must work together to discover and eliminate the Understudies before it's too late.

Understudies (Villains) (3): A minority group of the Thespians, they are working in secret to bring down the Thespians.  Only the Understudies know who each other is and they must work together with their plots and schemes if they mean to win the spotlight.

Director (Guardian) (1): Among the Thespian lurks the Director.  Once a night the Director chooses someone to protect from the Understudies.  If they choose correctly, the Understudies' target is saved for that evening.  The Director may also elect to save themselves, but may only do so once.   They can only target the same person twice in a row before needing to elect to save someone else.

Stage Manager (Seer) (1): Once a night the Stage Manager can target someone to learn of their true identity.  It is their responsibility to attempt to help the Thespians and sway the opinions with the truths that they glean.  However, they may not want to reveal their own true position, for a known Stage Manager could easily equate to a dead Stage Manager.

Producer (Judge): The Producer is elected at the beginning of the game by all the players.  Their function is to be the deciding factor should lynch voting come to a tie.

Let the drama and comedy begin ...
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

desert ashes

On Stage: Producer voting.  Who among the cast and crew is the fairest of them all?

Cast and Crew
Kyrsa (4) - Remiel, Valerian, risingdemon, Rolin
Valerian (3) - thirteenhearts, Xandi, Marguerite
Xandi (2) - Imogen, Kyrsa
Marguerite (1) - Goober
Remiel (1) - Aiden
Aiden
Goober
Imogen
Remiel
risingdemon
Rolin
thirteenhearts

Still Voting:

Voting for the Producer has begun!  As a reminder, the only member you may not vote for is yourself.   

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Remiel

Remiel made sure to wear his tightest tights as he stretched before rehearsal.  After all, he must give the people what they want!

"I think that Kyrsa will make a fine producer," he said.  "Besides, I hear she's stacked."

thirteenhearts

La La La La La La Laaaaa....

*ahem*

Thirteen takes a sip of her warm honey-lemon tea as she prepares her voice in the back corner of the stage.  She glances over at some dude contorting himself into weird shapes with what appears to be an obvious sock in his tights.  I hope Valerian is our producer for this show, she always has lovely ideas.  Thirteen thinks to herself before getting back to work.

*ahem*

Aiden

Aiden arrives with his bag strapped to a shoulder, dropping it just off stage as she strips down and begins to change.
"What are we voting for? Producer....hmmm how about you Remiel...it is obvious I'm going to me Romeo...I just hope Xandi or 13 gets Juliet...so we can spend plenty of time practicing!"
He grins and continues to change.

Autumn52

Xandi enter stage left looking at all the beautiful women hoping she has a shot a the role of Juliet knowing that one of the guys who will play Romeo will definitely steal her heart.....(well at least for the length of the show)

She begins to go over lines and is interupted briefly by her vote for Producer......umm I think Valerian would be wonderful.

Continuing going over lines she smiles at the handsome Adien and ask him if he will run lines with her. Smiling her sweetest smile.......
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Valerian

Val blushed at having two votes already, pleased but also a little embarrassed.  When she wasn't on stage, lost in whatever part she was playing, she was actually quite shy.  "I think Kyrsa would be a good producer.  She always has good ideas."  Then she settled down to look over her lines one last time, anxiously awaiting the start of the auditions.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Imogen

Imogen sauntered into the theatre and made her way down past the rows of seats towards the stage. She hopped on up and grinned, wiping her hands on her pants. "Nice to meet you all, I'll be your Mercutio for this round. Or so I hope. I know, I know...it's a male part, but hey, it's Shakespeare! Who is going to notice if a girl looks like a guy or vice versa?

"Oh! We don't have a producer yet? Darn!" She let her gaze rove over the gathered players and bounced back on the balls of her feet. "I know! Xandi is really good at organizing stuff! Ideas are all nice 'n fine, but if you don't get em done, it's just gathering dust, you know? No, I'll stick with Xandi for now, but hey, if you guys have other plans... It's all cool."
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Goober

Goober walks into the theater with a whistle. He looks at the rest of the actors and actresses, "Wow, this is some place isn't it? Nice to meet you all, can't wait for the rehearsals and working together!"

"What's that? We need to elect a producer among us?" Goober took a look at the list of all the cast and crew members, closed his eyes, and put his finger up to a name...Opening his eyes, he realized his finger rested upon Marguerite's. "Oh well, guess it's as good a choice as any." Goober scanned the crowd already gathered. "Besides, it seems she has yet to arrive. I wonder what type of person she'll be." Of the people already here, Goober could already spot a multitude of personalities and talents. "This is going to be awesome!"
1. "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."- Oscar Wilde
2. "Men are like steel. when they lose their temper, they lose their worth." :-)
- Chuck Norris
3. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
4. "A word to the wise isn't necessary."
5. And finally..."I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
- A. J. Liebling

Marguerite

Stepping into the theater, Marguerite whistled at the place and nodded. "I bet Valerian would be a great producer and know how to get the right roles for everyone."
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Aiden

The sweet smile is met with a sly smirk across his lips, nodding his head before his eyes lock on to hers. With no script in hand he clears his throat and begins.
"If I profane with my unworthiest hand this holy shrine, the gentle sin is this. My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss. "
His hand takes hers and lifts slowly towards his lips.

risingdemon

Lune sneaks in behind one of the curtains and watches as they converse about the room, quietly observing. Her wide blue eyes sparked, looking at the stage and thought: Will Kyrsa be the producer? I hope so...

She then bounced off to change into her tryouts outfit and show how amazing she was, for all the world to see...

Kye

Kyrsa smiled graciously and shook her head slightly when she realized that a number of her fellow performers had voted for her to be the producer.  "I am very flattered that you believe I would be a good producer.  If that is the will of the majority I would accept it gladly.  However I believe that Xandi would make a better producer than I."

thirteenhearts

Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

*ahem*

Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Thirteen was continuing to warm up her voice as the other actors started to gather on the stage.  She looked around seeing a couple running lines together, others were reading scripts; when out of the corner of her eye she saw the man in obscenely tight tights again.  He was still doing various stretches that appeared quite uncomfortable.  "Oh. My. God. He has a rip in the crotch of his tights."  Thirteen turned away in horror.

Autumn52

Xandi's eyes sparkled as she became the beautiful Juliet and Aiden the handsome Romeo....(Xandi hoped she would earn the role of Juliet and that Aiden would get to be Romeo)

As he cleared his throat and spoke his lines she smiled as he kissed her hand and began.......

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, Which mannerly devotion shows in this; For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss."

She smiled her most sweet smile, as Juliet would do to her handsome Romeo.

Xandi was lost in Romeo's eyes as she heard her name mentioned and blushed as she had been voted for Producer...She thought to herself 'how sweet it is that my fellow actresses place so much confidence in me' and all she said was, "If it is the will of my fellow Thespians that I should be the producer, I shall endeavor to be worthy of such a role."

Looking back to her Romeo and smiling again.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Imogen

To the left of the stage Imogen was practising her lines. Or rather, the lines she hoped to be speaking on stage. Tapping the fake sword on her side, she gave an imaginary friend standing beside her an exasperated look. "O calm, dishonourable, vile submission!" The next line had something to do with stoccata and she consults her text book before straightening, and drawing her imposing wooden blade.

"Tybalt, you rat-catcher, will you walk?" She demanded, her sword ready.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Goober

Goober dashed into the prop room, rummaging till he found a blunt rapier. Grabbing another one, he headed off towards Imogen who was standing off to the side, practicing what could only be the part of Mercutio. Grinning, he walked up towards Imogen. "Looking not to shabby! I'm Goober, by the way, but you can call me Jay. Nice to meet you. Here, catch, I think metal suits the setting a bit better than wood, wouldn't you?" Goober threw the extra rapier towards Imogen, drawing his own. Stepping into character, Goober announced, "I am for you."
2. "Men are like steel. when they lose their temper, they lose their worth." :-)
- Chuck Norris
- Napoleon Bonaparte
5. And finally..."I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
- A. J. Liebling

Aiden

Aiden slows himself, perhaps eager to skip a line to what is to come. His eyes hardly glance at the script open on the floor at his side.
"Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too? "
He asked with a hint of curiosity in his voice, trying to make himself the true romeo when he simply was looking for a reason to kiss the beautiful Juliet.

Autumn52

Xandi smiled at Aiden's attempts to gain a kiss.

She simply read her next line as they practiced for the play.....

"Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer"

She wondered how sweet Aiden's lips would taste on hers, unconsciously licking her lips as she spoke the words of Juliet.

Imogen

Imogen caught the rapier with her free hand and tossed the wooden one off the stage. It skittered across the floor and landed behind a low table laden with props of all kind. "Perfect!" She exclaimed, brandishing the gleaming weapon. "Nice to meet you, Jay. My name's Imogen. I hope to play Mercutio." She grinned. "But you already saw that!"

Sidestepping an imaginary Romeo Imogen readied for 'Tybalt'. One arm behind her back in fencer's stance, she raised the tip of her blade. Her chin came up in stubborn defiance of the words of peace Romeo would speak during the play.

"Come, Sir, your passado", Mercutio insisted.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Tharic

Rolin rushed into the back of the theater, his last call back had gone almost 2 hours over schedule, making him very late. His bag almost falling off his shoulder in his haste to make it towards the front of the theater, "Sorry, sorry, I made it! Sorry! Um, yes, I think Kyrsa would make a very fine producer."

desert ashes

With Kyrsa voted as the Producer the auditions were soon called to a start.  Thespian after thespian was called upon to sing, to dance, and, of course, to act; to a shadowed row of investors and directors they played courtier and courtesan.  They charmed and enticed, each one giving (just perhaps) the audition of their life.  It was as the auditions were drawing to a close that the gathered thespians could feel the slight chill in the air, the unknown ominous air of death as the hollowed ghosts of the de Chantal Theater knew they would soon be growing in numbers.  Released back to the stage and dressing rooms to wait for the decisions to come (they were told "not long" yet that was never a definite answer in the theater business), it wasn't long before that spectral number grew by one ...

The fair Natalia would have been perfect for the role of Juliet with her long dark hair, creamy features and demure figure highlighted by ingrained grace and innocence.  Unfortunately, for poor Natalia, she also shared the fate of death for the young romantic heroine as she was discovered propped beside a cut out tree, its roots stained with blood; through her heart had been plunged a dagger. 

Who among them could do such a horrifying deed? 

Cast and Crew
Aiden
Goober
Imogen
Kyrsa
Marguerite
Remiel
risingdemon
Rolin
thirteenhearts
Valerian
Xandi

Call Backed: 6 Thespians, 1 Director, 1 Stage Manager and 3 Understudies
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Goober

(OOC: ...:( It seems that no one wants to be the first to post...that or everyone just forgot about this? I don't want this thread to become inactive...so might as well go for it...)

Goober stands in silence along with the rest of the cast and crew. They had just learned of a terrible news. There was death within the Theater. More specifically, Natalia, who was supposed to cast as Juliet, was brutally murdered. Having no idea who committed the murder, only knowing that they were among the cast and crew, Goober was hesitant to step forward and name names...but apparently so were the rest of those gathered on such solemn occasion. Sighing, Goober decided that if he didn't speak, the silence would go on forever. "Obviously, I have no idea who the murderers are, but since there hasn't been a lot of activity, and we really didn't know Natalia that well, I can only venture a guess as to whoever one of the murderers might be. I choose...Rolin..."

"I apologize if I accused wrongly, Rolin, but obviously, we must make an accusation, and given such little information we have, well, lets say I hope we won't become enemies because of a foolish guess on my part..." Goober looked worried. If the murder indeed happened to be Rolin, his days as an actor might be limited...
- Chuck Norris
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- A. J. Liebling

Remiel

When Remiel arrived at the grim scene, he hurled his arms into the air, his expression an elaborate portrait of grief and horror.

"Alas, poor Natalia!" he cried, his voice warbling with emotion, yet still managing to carry to the back of the house.  "I knew her, Horatio!"

He strutted toward center stage, one arm shielding his forehead from the harsh spotlights.  "(She was) a lady of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.  She hath bore me on her back a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it."

He bit his fist, choking off sobs of manufactured lamentation, before addressing the imaginary audience again.  "I'faith, methinks the scoundel who purported this foulest of deeds was none other than thirteenhearts!  She has long been jealous of Natalia's beauty, as the faded and wilted dandelion is envious of the rose."

His speech finished, he took a bow and stepped aside.  Then, quietly, he muttered to himself.

"Padding my tights...honestly!

Imogen

Imogen hesitated, looking at the poor, beautiful Natalia from some distance. She had not known the girl well, but even to her inexpert eye she had seemed perfect for the role of juliet... So, it would kind of follow that the murderer had some personal vendetta or had been interested in removing this actor from the talent pool. But who? Xandi came to mind, but she couldn't really seriously imagine she'd do something that vile.. Still, with Natalia's death Xandi had a part and a romeo to gain.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]