News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Setting ideas

Started by Rayve13, October 02, 2005, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayve13

I'll preface this by saying I'm a little sick, so my brain may not be quite fully operational, but here goes anyway...

There are a couple of settings I've been interested in trying to game in for quite some time. I don't particularly care if the RP is adult or not, or even if it's just an excuse for freaky sex (hey, that could even be a bonus at times), but it's the settings more than anything that appeal to me. They're both based on PC games, and here they are, with short descriptions:

1) Fallout: a post apocalypic game, based on the idea of a future envisioned by pulp sci-fi meets Mad Max. There are robots, but they tend to be big and clunky, and not too frequent. Groups range from tribals (who are fairly regualrly caputred by slavers) to advanced groups like the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave (apologies to people familiar with the games, I'm shorting the backstory quite a bit).
2) Arcanum: The Victorian era meets magic. Elves working wizardry meet dwarven riflemen. A very interesting setting, leaving many possibilites.

Now, if there are things like this already hiding in the threads, jsut point me at them and I'll go away. If not, I'd be willing to 'run' something, though it would definately be free form and probably not be much more than a city setting to do things in. All types and sexual preferences will be pandered to shamelessly.

WarDragon

I'd like to point out that Arcanum is awesomeness incarnate.  If a game gets started in that setting sign me up.

Taure Elwe

You suck Rayve, I am already in entirely too many games  ;)
"Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as meaningless experiences go, it's pretty damned good." ~ Woody Allen

Zakharra

2) Arcanum: The Victorian era meets magic. Elves working wizardry meet dwarven riflemen. A very interesting setting, leaving many possibilites.

Intreresting.

WarDragon

Quote from: Zakharra on October 02, 2005, 10:59:42 PM

Intreresting.

Any setting with half-orc labor unions can't be anything but.

Rayve13

Quote from: Taure Elwe on October 02, 2005, 10:07:13 PM
You suck Rayve, I am already in entirely too many games  ;)

You should know about that kind of thing, mi'lady  :P

Rayve13

And at this point, I'm leaning more towards Arcanum based. Seems to be more interest, and it can be a heck of a lot of fun.

If you need more information, go to Gamefaqs and look up one of the walkthroughs/story guides, or go to www.terra-arcanum.com

Jefepato

I approve wholeheartedly of Arcanum.

LordAnubis

I'm up for both.  I was in one good fallout game and my techie never got to do much, the game ended too soon.  But a half orc labor union sounds good. lol.

Rayve13

Quote from: LordAnubis on October 03, 2005, 03:16:09 PM
I'm up for both.  I was in one good fallout game and my techie never got to do much, the game ended too soon.  But a half orc labor union sounds good. lol.

Gah, at the rate this is going we'll be spending our entire time in union talks!

::gets out his Gilbert Bates template and sla...for...voluntary labor contracts:: :-X

On that line, any interests for a plot?

WarDragon

Hmm... would the events of the PC game be considered "canon?"  Would our game be taking place before, during, after the PC?

On another note, I'm assuming the game will be freeform?  If not, I'd prefer to use some variant of d20, as it's the only system I know...

Rayve13

Definately freeform, and I'm figuring just prior to or during the events of the game (the non-world shattering ones) with whatever modifications need to be made to have fun.

Taure Elwe

Quote from: Rayve13 on October 03, 2005, 02:51:28 PM
You should know about that kind of thing, mi'lady  :P

You'd think I would by now  ;D
"Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as meaningless experiences go, it's pretty damned good." ~ Woody Allen

Rayve13

Quote from: Taure Elwe on October 04, 2005, 06:17:52 PM
You'd think I would by now  ;D

I'm getting the feeling that you do, but i could be misunderstanding things  :-*

LordAnubis

hmm.. not sure about pliots, but you got a dwarvish engineer for your game.

WarDragon

I'd most likely be a mage of some sort, when we get to that.

Jefepato

Well, since it's freeform, there's no worry that half-ogres with huge swords and mages with Disintegrate will dominate all things, so I really don't know what I'd play.

Rayve13

Yes, it is nice, if a bit overwhelming, to not have to worry about the play balance issues. Here, all is even.

Rayve13

Just so you know, I'm trying to come up with something. Any suggestions, comments, thoughts, or advice would be most welcome.

ZK

Well, speaking of d20.

They have Steampunk d20

and Gamma World as well as d20 Apocalypse.

d20 is the system that everyone likes to mutate into something.

Hell, I've seen a professional wrestling d20 game.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Siegfried

I have a super hero D20.  I love BESM.

Rayve13

True, d20 has spread across the land. I'm looking at freeform mainly to keep the time element down, since my time can be quite limited.

I suppose i could hit the Torrents and try to find Steampunk d20 though. Could be interesting.

Rayve13

Well, in a sudden reversal, I'm now more actively considering a post apocalypic setting. As much as I love Arcanum, I can't think of a damn thing to run there, whereas I have a whole bunch of Fallout stuff (Fallout 3 design docs are fun, lots of good cities). Any interest in treking into the Wastes?

ZK

Fallout 3 hasn't been released yet. Betheseda Software is releasing it right after Oblivion and Call of Cthulhu comes out.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

WarDragon

Never played Fallout, so you lost me, I'm afraid.