El Reconquistador (vampyr0me0)

Started by NightBird, May 18, 2008, 03:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightBird

Dona Isabel de Bivero moved cautiously around the throng gathering for the evening's entertainment, her eyes downcast and her hands folded at her waist. Her family's position at court had suffered since King Enrique IV had given the County of Altamira to Perdo Pardo de Cela, the change in their fortunes leaving her open to all manner of insult, not that the court of Castile had been an easy place before her family's present difficulties. The king was rumored to be impotent, but he most certainly could do little to rein in the power struggles of the grandees, and there had been no queen since Juana had been set aside for her adultery. Without a queen, there was nothing to control the women's equivalent of their husbands', fathers' and brothers' battles. Poisoned words were barely even veiled anymore, and reputations rose and fell with rapid turns in the politics of court.

As for Isabel, all she truly wanted was to be safe, but she knew it wasn't likely, not when her appearance kept her from fading fully into the background. She was young, barely seventeen, unmarried yet, and lovely, with large, dark eyes and pale honey-hued skin that contrasted strongly with her raven-black hair, all but a few artful ringlets currently pulled back and tucked under a small cap that matched the deep green brocade of her gown. She stayed back, where the light from the many branches of candles left the deeper shadows. Trouble could, perhaps, go unnoticed there, but she hoped she could simply remain out of anyone's attention, no matter how much her mother chided her for it.

vampyrer0me0

The young count stood watching the people move through the room. His hair tied back in a simple silk ribbon. He is wearing a simple black doublet a white belt tied round his belt a symbol of his knighthood. His hazel eyes scan the room watching. Such an odd day at court. So different enemies hidden behind smiles. Insults beneath sugared words. He has a late to learn before his family allowed him to come to castile alone.  Now seventeen it is his mothers goal that he begin looking for a woman to court. Soon it will be time for him to settle down. 

He steps towards the dance floor goblet in hand, still to shy to move out on his own.  The sword at his waist the only thing keeping him comfortable in such a large group. Out of the corner of his eye he catches a flash of green brocade. A beautiful woman he does not recognize standing off to one corner. He walks over to her taking a sip of his wine. 

"Milady" A bow eyes on her as he shows his respect.

"I am Conde Angel Aranda el Cuervo.  May i have the pleasure of your name?" He positions himself in such a way that she has his full attention but he can see the crowd.

NightBird

Despite her seeming fascination with the patterns in the marble at her feet, Isabel couldn't help but watch the young man approach: a knight, wearing the white belt that indicated he had earned the right to wear his sword by more than an ancient name. She fully expected him to veer aside, speak to any number of the young ladies displaying their interest, even to stop and confer with a lord on some matter related to the perpetual war with the Moors.

But he didn't. Almost before she knew it, he was directly in front of her, bowing as she remembered men doing just a year ago. She'd been around court long enough to see the difference in how he stood, yet more proof that he was a warrior more, perhaps, even than a courtier. Her eyes warmed, and training from the time she could walk had her extending her hand in greeting. Her smile, however, was tentative, and a soft flush rose to her cheeks as she spoke. Surely, once he heard her name, he would find a reason to excuse himself.

"An honor, my lord. My name is Isabel de Bivero, daughter of Don Juan de Bivero."

vampyrer0me0

A smile graces his lips.  He takes her hand in his placing a chaste kiss of greeting on her hand. Straightening he looks to her.

"It is a pleasure to meet you my lady. "  He looks over at the crowd.

"An interesting place Castile. It has been a few years since I was here. A far cry from the lands of Aragon.  Do you find yourselves often in these lands?"

NightBird

The blush on Isabel's cheeks deepened a bit, her gaze only lifting to meet his briefly before returning to the floor, but her smile warmed, as well. She couldn't entirely believe that such a fine young man, knighted and titled, would wish to speak to the youngest daughter of a family stripped of their lands. Her heart beat like a bird's wings against the cage of her ribs. He had spoken to her. He was saintly in his kindness, or so new to court that the name wasn't familiar. With a sinking sensation, she realized she had to tell him, or else his star might fall before it could rise.

"The pleasure is mutual, my lord. Your notice does me great honor. Castile is my home, and I have known no other. My family remains at court, seeking patronage that we might turn our fortunes. We perhaps will not rise as high as to have Altamira returned to us, but there are other places that it might please His Majesty to grant my father." Her spine was straight throughout that little speech, but when she spoke of fortunes, her cheeks paled then flamed at the mention of her father's former title. She did not look up again, after, her hand cool and still in his as she held her breath to see if she had frightened him away, uncertain if she should wish for what she wanted or for what would undoubtedly be the best for the young lord before her.

vampyrer0me0

He nods understanding her meaning. A kind smile touching his lips faintly. His eyes on her as he speaks the niavete of youth mixed with the unworldliness of a warrior.

" My lady it is little doubt that God would not have such a treasure living on the kindness of strangers. Though since my fortunes have found you in need of some aid, and myself in a place were niether of my arts would aid me I would ask your aid that we may benefit each other.  As I said I am new to court and so the people and customs are strange to me.  If you would deign to act as my guide to this odd battlefield I would swear an oath to aid you in reclaiming a station appropriate to your beauty and class."

As he speaks the oath his voice becomes such that you can not argue with it.  His sincerity with out question. His ulterior motive clear to a woman who has spent so much time in court, he simply wishes to spend some more time with her.  He has the hope that he may have the chance to begin courting her.