Muse Online [Can go anywhere, Details Inside]

Started by TheVillain, December 12, 2010, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVillain

The simple name for such a powerful premise really. Gaming technology only continued to build up steam in the mid-21st century. Now with the synthesis of biology and machinery people can not only interact with a game deeper then ever possible before but actually have the sensory information broad-casted directly into the brain. You can actually see what your avatar sees and hear what your avatar would hear.

The latest big MMO is the simply named Muse Online. Programmed by geniuses, these men and women have actually taken things a step further and figured out how to code the sensory information of your other senses as well. Now you can not only see and hear through your character's senses, but taste, smell, and touch as well.

Muse Online on the surface looks like a standard Swords and Sorcery Fantasy MMO but looking around shows just how deep and carefully planned the programming is. And with it's concentration on storytelling and basic gameplay instead of simple product placement with a few fun tricks it quickly becomes a smash hit. It's the game the makers of other games play as your characters search the game world for the missing muses.

But there are rumors, rumors that the programmers have put as much attention to private "play" servers as the normal game ones. And as a gamer and a hacker, you're determined to find out. . .

Alright, so I personally have a slow posting schedule but I had an idea that not only works around this but sounded really good as well.

The basic idea is that you'll all play two characters.

The first is a gamer of notable hacking skill who has managed to get into the private servers of the programmers of a popular MMO, where you quickly discover that the programmers are all sex crazed perverts on top of being geniuses.

The second character is as one of the programmers. This one doesn't have to actually show up in person, but will basically act as GMs for individual scenes. A programmer may show up in "person" to fuck/kill/interact with a player or just take over NPCs that were already present. If a normal trash mob Orc suddenly seems to become a much more serious threat and expresses a desire to rape the shit out of a female player-character, it's probably because a programmer took it over.

And Interest/Ideas/Thoughts?
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Meliai

I'm definitely interested, instantly got ideas for a fun set of characters in fact, but I think I'd like to see a more solid idea for a story before actually committing. "Can go anywhere" sounds good at first, but in my experience games with very little pre-planning tend to be the ones that fall apart the quickest, and without content limits/ratings you run the risk of getting a bunch of players whose interests don't mesh.

I think one of the most interesting avenues to explore is the sort of dual reality that the game sets up - you want everyone to have two characters, but it seems like three or four is just as likely; the in-game persona/avatar of each hacker and developer could potentially be radically different from their player. There's also the inevitable consequences of breaking into the private playground of a bunch of rich, powerful wierdoes. The hackers may be able to handle themselves alright in a digital environment, but what happens when some big scary hired goons start pounding on their doors?

I apologize for any spelling or grammar issues, I'm stuck typing on my phone at the moment  -_-
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

TheVillain

That's part of the reason I wanted to talk this in the thread actually. How programmers react can vary between programmers, some angry at the new kids in their playground- others impressed enough by the skill it took to get in that they are welcome to stay IF they help patch the security hole. Real life is a possibility, I was picturing the characters too spread out in real life for that.
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

ivygrowth

I'm interested.  How much control is a Hacker going to have when facing a Programmer though?  Will they be able to log out? 

Though I do agree that setting limits would make sense, maybe different servers?

TheVillain

Picture it like a player versus a GM in any other MO. Programmer can't take over the hacker's character and if the player wants to log out they can't stop them. But if the Programmer wants to, say, spawn an epic demon or drop in a GMPC?

Unless the players involved want to work out something different.

Ironwolf85

I'm looking foreward to trying this out concider this marked.
a few of my other Rp's are slow to form and have fun so concider my hat tossed.
I'm dreaming up one of the programers right now. including his avatar...
I'm thinking somthing simmilar to dot.hack/sign though starting as western fantasy and not japanese
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

TheVillain

I appreciate the interest you all showed, but I don't think this will be enough. Thanks anyway.

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.