Bermuda Island (Open Sandbox - Freeform) [Interest Check] (Need 1 more Female!)

Started by Rave, May 07, 2014, 09:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Not sure what you mean. Given that the characters have been on the island for almost a year, any convincing would have already been done and either they are in a relationship or they aren't...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

justme4386

Quote from: Chrystal on May 12, 2014, 05:44:38 PM
Maybe even involving Justme in a three-way from time to time?
Shandy wouldn't start out in a relationship with a woman. It's only been a year and there's plenty of guys as far as I can tell - but she might have had the occasional fling - not being opposed to some casual sex and all...
A word of advice: Don't take me serious - unless I am. And you will know when I am!

ONs and OFFs
updated March 30th 2019
Apologies and Absences
updated April 19th 2019

Chrystal

Quote from: justme4386 on May 13, 2014, 01:44:22 PM
Shandy wouldn't start out in a relationship with a woman. It's only been a year and there's plenty of guys as far as I can tell - but she might have had the occasional fling - not being opposed to some casual sex and all...

Like I said, from time to time.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Rave

The Accepted Characters Thread is now up:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=203885.0

I will post the link in the first page as-well for easier access.

Based on the number/gender of people we have, I would say we only need 3-4 more players before the game can begin. Preferably another male or two to even out the odds.

Chrystal

A couple of suggestions, Rave.

First, you might want to tidy up the character sheets you have posted, make them all the same format. Some people have somehow changed the the layout.

Second, you might want to put the player name on each post, to make it easier to remember who is playing whom?

And third, you actually have more "males" than females, unless Alias agrees that her lesbian character and mine are a couple, in which case you have the same number.

I suggest we could actually do with more female characters, unless your males like to share and the straight girls like to be shared.

And if Alias doesn't want her girl shacked up with mine, which is her choice, we definitely need more girls.

justme4386

Chrystal was faster... had the same suggestions so:

+1, Like, etc... :-)

Quote from: Chrystal on May 13, 2014, 03:08:58 PM
I suggest we could actually do with more female characters, unless your males like to share and the straight girls like to be shared.
I wouldn't mind sharing... sharing is caring and I'm a caretaker. :-)

Ok, ok, bad pun. Bed's calling... ;D
A word of advice: Don't take me serious - unless I am. And you will know when I am!

ONs and OFFs
updated March 30th 2019
Apologies and Absences
updated April 19th 2019

Rave

As far as edits to the thread go, I'll be able to refine everything when I'm not at work  :P I just wanted to get the thread up so we have a good headcount.

And I don't count lesbian females as 'Male' characters, but your point is well taken. There's still room for about 4 more characters, so we will see the applications coming in and figure it out from there.

Chrystal

Quote from: Rave on May 13, 2014, 04:21:10 PM
As far as edits to the thread go, I'll be able to refine everything when I'm not at work  :P I just wanted to get the thread up so we have a good headcount.

And I don't count lesbian females as 'Male' characters, but your point is well taken. There's still room for about 4 more characters, so we will see the applications coming in and figure it out from there.

Having a balanced M/F count is actually a common problem for LGBT players. Strictly you need to count us separately, except it doesn't work that way as we all know. If you have three male and five female, but two of the females are lesbians, you have a balanced number. But if two of the females are bi as well and decided to get together, you have an imbalance, unless two of the guys do the same...

then, what happens if three players form a menage-a-trois? It is all far too complex and personally I think it is far better just to allow things to develop. Of course, this conflicts with the "never start at the beginning" rule, and can also leave people out in the cold.

*shrug* I also have a marked p[reference for games that don't have permanent pairings. Unfortunately, my own sexuality makes this difficult in mixed gender games where there are fewer gay or bi females and the guts want some of the girls too... Anyway, will see what transpires.

SGTDan

A few questions Rave;

1.) Will there be any Lost style twists or is this simply a Lord of the Flies kind of game.

2.) Has the group explored other islands in the area or is this the only land for miles?

3.) I'm presuming that the location being in the Bermuda Triangle is a hint any other more bizarre elements to manifest?

4.) Most has given up but have all of them truly given up? Not actively but maybe a smoldering fire?

5.) How much of the plane survives now?

6.) Is there any evidence of past inhabitants? Ancient structures of lost cultures?
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Rave

Quote from: SGTDan on May 13, 2014, 05:32:39 PM
A few questions Rave;

1.) Will there be any Lost style twists or is this simply a Lord of the Flies kind of game.

2.) Has the group explored other islands in the area or is this the only land for miles?

3.) I'm presuming that the location being in the Bermuda Triangle is a hint any other more bizarre elements to manifest?

4.) Most has given up but have all of them truly given up? Not actively but maybe a smoldering fire?

5.) How much of the plane survives now?

6.) Is there any evidence of past inhabitants? Ancient structures of lost cultures?

As far as exploring other surrounding islands go, the island this RP is taking place on is locked in a Storm's eye. Meaning any attempts to escape, or rather go outside a certain circle of saftey means death. The plane wreckage has been almost 100% salvaged at this point throughout the year, and was used to build the camps and equipment they currently use. There's not much left there. The survivors have, in a sense, left their previous lives behind and are moving on with a society on this island. This is not meant to be like LOST, where they are trying to get off the island every episode. Though I suppose there could be the one character who refuses to accept the situation.

As far as all your other questions, I might as-well reveal this since the questions keep coming. The Un-explored area is going to be indeed, remnant of a civilization yet to be discovered by modern man. There will be elements of mysticism involved, but not on a mind-fuck degree like the actual LOST mythos. The Discovery of these ruins will present several options, spark a struggle for power and leadership, and open new opportunities for the survivors when it comes to leaving the island. If you've ever played the new Tomb Raider, the civilization will have certain technology able to lightly affect the weather. But I won't get into that now.

@Chrystal

I agree, just don't over think pairings right now. We'll see who joins, and not everyone has to be perfectly matched up with another. Anyone is free to hook up with anyone, and all players can establish relationships OOCly and implement them ICly at the start of the game.

SGTDan

Quote from: Rave on May 13, 2014, 06:07:10 PM
As far as exploring other surrounding islands go, the island this RP is taking place on is locked in a Storm's eye. Meaning any attempts to escape, or rather go outside a certain circle of saftey means death. The plane wreckage has been almost 100% salvaged at this point throughout the year, and was used to build the camps and equipment they currently use. There's not much left there. The survivors have, in a sense, left their previous lives behind and are moving on with a society on this island. This is not meant to be like LOST, where they are trying to get off the island every episode. Though I suppose there could be the one character who refuses to accept the situation.

As far as all your other questions, I might as-well reveal this since the questions keep coming. The Un-explored area is going to be indeed, remnant of a civilization yet to be discovered by modern man. There will be elements of mysticism involved, but not on a mind-fuck degree like the actual LOST mythos. The Discovery of these ruins will present several options, spark a struggle for power and leadership, and open new opportunities for the survivors when it comes to leaving the island. If you've ever played the new Tomb Raider, the civilization will have certain technology able to lightly affect the weather. But I won't get into that now.
Thank you Rave! Your answers were amazing and gave me a pretty good idea. I figured either you had LOST or Tomb Raider twists in mind. I hope I haven't ruined anything of yours. I was simply curious.

I have a character concept but fear it may be too skill heavy. A survivalist globe trotter who was a guest speaker at a conference in NYC, he was heading home when the plane crashed. I'm imagining him being a cross between Dundee and Indiana Jones. Not sure if that would fit, so I'm pitching it early.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Rave

Quote from: SGTDan on May 13, 2014, 06:16:08 PM
Thank you Rave! Your answers were amazing and gave me a pretty good idea. I figured either you had LOST or Tomb Raider twists in mind. I hope I haven't ruined anything of yours. I was simply curious.

I have a character concept but fear it may be too skill heavy. A survivalist globe trotter who was a guest speaker at a conference in NYC, he was heading home when the plane crashed. I'm imagining him being a cross between Dundee and Indiana Jones. Not sure if that would fit, so I'm pitching it early.

You're welcome  :-) And no, you didn't ruin anything. I decided it was better to leave it out in the open.

As far as a survivalist character, that's fine as long as he's not over-powered in his skill use. There are very definitive roles on the island, so as long as he doesn't have every single ability to do all 7 roles ever, you should be fine. All I ask is for the character to be realistic.

agentlemanwithadream

NSFW-ish
Name: Blake Larchmont

Island Role: Forester/Explorer

Physical Appearance : The picture is an extremely cleaned up, just before him and Mary left the hotel for the flight, picture. Since his time on the island, he had gone back to rough around the edges style including, a full beard and multiple scars on his arms and legs, none of them particularly large or gruesome, from a lifetime of physical labor. He also enjoys a cut, but not exactly chiseled, 6’2, 215 lbs frame.

Distinguishing Traits: His charm and southern drawl

History: Born and raised outside of Memphis Tennessee, Blake spent his childhood performing all the farm tasks one would expect from a farm boy.  A simple guy, he walked a pretty straight and narrow life. His daily routine was getting up with the sun, working until the sun went down, and getting some sleep until it was time to get up and work again the next day. While other kids were running to the city to go to clubs and later bars, Blake stayed near his farm with those closest to him and hosted bonfires and camping weekends.

A couple years after graduating high school, Blake fell in love. Mary Johnson was the most beautiful girl he had ever met. Having just moved into the small town with her parents, he found her on the side of the road, lost, with no cell phone reception. It was a quick fix, the tire and the directions, but he couldn't help with her reception. They exchanged numbers and met the next week for lunch and from that moment, they had been connected at the hip. After a year of dating, they were going to take a trip to the Bahamas so that Blake could propose to her.

Blake never wanted to go to New York in the first place. The hustle and bustle of the big city was something that never excited him, he was much happier with his quiet, simple life in the country. But if he had to make the long trip to New York to take his love on a week long trip to the Bahamas, he would happily do so. They arrived a day early, to see some sights, and Blake’s idea of the city was confirmed. It was loud, overly busy, dirty and the people were rude. He vowed never to return to New York, except for the return flight. Unfortunately, the plane went down for reasons he never tried to understand and Mary didn't survive. Blake dug Mary’s grave himself, not allowing anyone to help in her final preparation. It was difficult work, because of a lack of tools, but he got it done. For the first few months, outside of adjusting to life on the island, he had to adjust to life without his love. Eventually, he found out that he had a special skill set that was necessary to ensuring not only his survival, but the survival of the others who made it through the wreck.

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Dislikes: Bugs, Snakes, Death, Plucking Birds, Sunburn

Strengths: Blake is a working machine, having worked outside all his life he is no stranger to hard work and approaches work with an open mind. Long days on the farm transferred to long days on the island and if there is a job that needs to be done, Blake will likely sign up for the task.
Weaknesses: Blake doesn’t have any medical training so if anything was to happen to him, he would be out of luck. He is overly trusting, Blake is almost always willing to go out a limb for people whenever they say they need the help regardless of how he is feeling at the moment.

Personality:Overall, Blake is a someone who is always extending a helping hand. Simple and hardworking, Blake wants to establish himself as a strong member of the island community. He believes that God has a reason for everything and the reason no one has found the plane crash over the year is because they are supposed to establish a new community here.

PLAYER ONS AND OFFS: A Gentleman's O&O's [/spoiler]

SGTDan

Well nobody can be good at everything, even those hard motherfuckers up in Alaska. He'll have a lot of skills but not overpowered, like his first aide skill would be limited to quick fixes to stabilize rather then actual surgery. I'm going to make him older so he's sort of a mentor for the younger people on the island. Teaching his skills to those in other roles, to help them in their jobs. Like teaching the Dragon Hunters how to properly butcher a animal in a way to save the most meat.

That was my vision, the old man of the group to guide these people in living off the land. Sort of his lasting legacy.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Rave

@agentlemanwithadream: Welcome aboard!

@SGTDAN: Looking forward to his character sheet  :-)

SGTDan

Name: Holden Blackwood

Island Role: Mentor/ Senior Explorer

Physical Appearance:
Graying brown, well groomed short hair reveals a chiseled, time worn face. Round brown eyes, set handsomely within their sockets, watch faithfully over the kids he calls his proteges and the island that will be his legacy. A beard gorgeously compliments his cheekbones and eyes and leaves an intriguing memory of his luck in love. There's something appealing about him, perhaps it's his sense of justice or perhaps it's simply his father like disposition. But nonetheless, people tend to worship him, while hoping to follow in his footsteps.

Distinguishing Traits: There's not too much about Holden that is incredibly distinguishing, except for his rather haggard face.

History:
He's honest, savvy, wise and perhaps a little too stubborn. However there's more than meets the eye, not surprising for somebody with his position. Holden was born to a small family in Anchorage, father was a fishing captain on a boat while his mother was the ever loyal fish wife. Life was pretty trouble free for his childhood. His father taught him the tricks of the fishing trade while his mother taught him other skills like sewing. When he became sixteen he joined the US Armed Services much to the pride of his pro Uncle Sam parents, serving for several years in the Army.

Experiences in the Gulf,Somali and Kosovo changed a young boy into a man. Briefly participating in Afghanistan Holden left that service due to his frustration with the way the world was going. No longer feeling that service meant the same thing as it did when he joined. Hunted by his own PTSD he searched for a new way of life. Settling back down in Alaska with a loving wife, Holden fell back into the old way of life. Just like his father before him and his father's father the man lived off the land. That was till a bear killed his pregnant wife when he was away hunting.

Distraught over the loss Holden secluded himself in their tiny cabin, refusing to touch her things. Change came in the form of a radio call about some production people looking for survivalists to host a new travel show. To this day Holden doesn't understand what made him answer that call but he did. It was a hit for the network, Operation Ruby became popular show with the networks small following. Named after his late wife Holden used the show as therapy for his mental conditions and to teach people how to live off the land. It followed the veteran as he globetrotted all over the world. Enjoying culture and nature of each locale, Holden found it exciting to be finally making a difference for people.

From all over the world people would send letter to his little Alaskan cabin telling him how he had inspired them to do things they never would of. For the grizzled old man this was his way of spending the last years of his life doing something that made a difference. In NYC for a fan meeting, Holden was on his way home to Alaska when his life changed again. Stranded on this island Holden has become a father figure for many of the survivors, instrumental in the groups continual survival. Teaching the survivors how to live off the land he makes sure each one has the skills to do their job. Falling into a job similar to his military days Holden tends to explore and mark down new sites of resources leaving the kids to hone their skills on them. Viewing this island as his mark on the world, he plans to cement the foundations of this little nation and make it his legacy.

The Blackwood legacy.

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Likes: Woodworking,Hiking,Simple Living,Camping, Moonshine
Dislikes: Rich people, arrogance, incompetence, complacency, laziness

Strengths: Holden is an Alaskan bred survivalist, a veteran and a teacher by necessity

Weaknesses: Holden is a bit of a Luddite, a bad doctor and sucks at being a leader.

Personality: I believe all the hints are above, enough to form a good idea anyway.

PLAYER ONS AND OFFS: Click the Roleplaying Preferences

Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Rave

agentlemanwithadream

I probably should proofread that.  :-\

Oh well, submitting for approval!

Alias

still watching this game develop. Crystal, I'll send you a pm to see if our characters blend well. I intended for them to blend well.

Chrystal

Quote from: Alias on May 14, 2014, 10:29:17 AM
still watching this game develop. Crystal, I'll send you a pm to see if our characters blend well. I intended for them to blend well.

Okies... :) I will await it eagerly

SGTDan

As I mentioned, Holden is a mentor to most of the kids here. If anyone has ideas about that it's okay, in fact with Rave's approval I plan to have Holden having the only functioning gun on the island. A quick check of TSA regulations show you can bring arms and ammunition on board. Before you ask it has maybe five or six rounds so he uses it to mostly protect himself and the camp. His hut is the only thing of the airplane that remains, the cockpit cleared out to fit a small cot and living space. From it's high advantage he watches over the camp.

I imagine most of the survivors call him Pa or some variation.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Chrystal

@ Sgt Dan

I'm going to make myself unpopular, I can see this... I can't work out how a flight from JFK to Ankorage can get anywhere near the Bermuda triangle?

I'm assuming you know where NY and Anchorage are?

SGTDan

Of course I do, any number of things could of happened.

If you are curious, he was to catch a layover flight from Bremuda. A mix up in the system meant he had to take the long way around.
Plane troubles, only connection at the time...

A number of things could of wound him up on the flight.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Chrystal

Heh... that works if you substitute Nassau for Bermuda! :)

Sorry, I'm a little bit OCD about details like that. As the saying goes, "the devil is in the detail"!

SGTDan

Quote from: Chrystal on May 14, 2014, 12:50:40 PM
Heh... that works if you substitute Nassau for Bermuda! :)

Sorry, I'm a little bit OCD about details like that. As the saying goes, "the devil is in the detail"!
I am the same way so it's a understandable question.

I mean maybe there was a problem with his plane and the only feasible connection was a layover from somewhere in the Caribbean. These things happen although rarely now a days.

My detail OCD is also asking Rave, what kind of plane was it?
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests