News:

Main Menu

A review of "Maids"!

Started by kongming, September 16, 2008, 01:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongming

So, there's a game system called Maids. It's clearly Weeaboo, because it's anime-themed but made by Westerners, but it seems very entertaining regardless. One thing that earns my respect is that they have a note saying "If you pirated this pdf, then try it out! Don't let it clutter up your HD, print it out, show your friends, play the game. If you like it, support us and buy it."

I can really get behind a company with that attitude.

Anyway, this is basically a quick review of it:

Character creation is nice and simple. It has the tiniest bit of math, and uses random charts (that players can choose things from, rather than rolling, if they want) and the like. Seriously, it's this simple:

*Roll for your six stats (2d6, divided by 3, round down. More complex than needed? Sure, but still not hard)
*Choose/roll for two traits (Cool, Lolita, Heroine etc.) These serve as basic descriptors, and each gives +1 to one stat, -1 to another
-You can take the same one twice, the numbers stack. Also, 0 is the minimum
*Roll for a special ability from your single highest stat (for ties, you choose). If your stats total 9 or less, you get two of them.
*Choose/roll for uniform colour, eye colour and hair colour
*Choose/roll for the weapon you use in physical combat - but this doesn't make any difference
*Choose/roll for a few personality traits
*Choose/roll what happens when your Stress gets too high (binge eating, boozing, crying, bullying others, breaking shit...)
*Spirit = Will stat * 10 (0 means basically any stress will be "Too high", as exceeding the Spirit value triggers the Stress release)
*Favour = Affection stat * 2

Favour: you can use it as XP to boost stats and buy uniforms and stuff, and also as action points to get a bonus on a roll or to make something happen. Also, doing badly reduces your Favour, and if it drops below 0, you are asked to leave.

...and that's basically it. In the game, events can happen (players can even cause these to happen, gaining a degree of plot power, but mostly it's for the GM), allowing players to do cool things, have fun, take Stress (damage in combat is Stress. Anything negative is generally taken as Stress), earn Favour and try to outdo each other. Or players can just pursue their own goals - often, pleasing the Master/Mistress of the house is the goal, as that character (meant to be an NPC, but *can* be player-controlled - there's even a "DM-approval needed" way to usurp them and become the Master/Mistress) grants Favour to the PCs. Or they could be interested in seducing each other - note that this is a big part of the game, and lesbicious content is practically assumed.

Seduction is simply another form of combat (in this, any form of X vs Y is "combat". Everyone explains what it is they're trying to do, and justifies the stat they're using for it, then rolls 1d6 and multiplies it by that stat. Highest total wins. Bonuses/penalties are applied to the die roll before multiplication. A stat of 0 means you can't do it. Help from others basically adds their stat to yours for the multiplier). Because of the mechanical results of seduction, you are supposed to use the rules alongside roleplaying it, and it *has* to be resisted. Otherwise it's just your regular loving relationship.

Incidentally, while it is meant to contain fan-service and titillation, as well as indecency and lesbotic seduction, it doesn't go into the realms of sex in the book - and mentions that you should carefully consider it before going there yourself, due to people being uncomforable around the table. Obviously, that wouldn't be an issue here.

When I'm posting away at a good rate, I *might* start up a small-group (5 maximum) game of this, just to introduce people to the fun and enjoy some girl-girl-girl-girl fun.

Anyway, I approve of it. Note that all rules are explained in the standard way and also with a demonstration game session. It also has extra tables for random events, items that can turn the world upside down, and all sorts of stuff. Yes, it provides material for a "mansion" set in the jungle, military bases, ancient Japan, underwater, outer space, a medieval castle, a cathedral, a medieval cathedral-castle on a space ship 40km long and serving as a military base...

Check it out. It's a fun read, if nothing else.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Xillen

I've heard about Maids before. It seems like a "comedy relief" system to me. Not something that I would ever consider playing as a real RPG, though it could work nicely for an E RP :)

Jefepato

Quote from: kongming on September 16, 2008, 01:20:17 AM
So, there's a game system called Maids. It's clearly Weeaboo, because it's anime-themed but made by Westerners, but it seems very entertaining regardless.

I thought it was actually Japanese and just recently translated into English?

I mean, actually translating something like this is still decidedly weeaboo, but still.

Celestial Goblin

*pops in*
Just read it and it looks like a ton and half of fun. I'd make a thread about it if there wasn't one already:)

Chris Brady

Um...  It states here that it was designed in Japan by a Kamiya Ryo in Japan and published by Sunset Games, a Japanese publisher originally...

I want though.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Transgirlenstein

I got my hands on the pdf and have been reading it.  It is absoultly hilarious and would love to play it with the right group :)
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

kongming

Yeah, turns out it was made by "those crazy Japanese", then translated for us by a weeaboo. Amusingly, in the credits he actually thanks /tg/
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Chris Brady

Kongming?  Can you please stop with the stereotype bashing?  I'm finding it rude.  Just because some of us like aspects of the Japanese culture doesn't mean we're misinformed, or some how deficient.

Thank you.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

kongming

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 03, 2008, 03:44:45 PM
Kongming?  Can you please stop with the stereotype bashing?

No. No I can not.

Just because some of us like aspects of the Japanese culture doesn't mean we're misinformed, or some how deficient

You should note that I'm running a game of Maid, and have done plenty of "I can't believe it's not anime" things, and I watch anime on occasion and it's rare that a game I play on my DS did not originate from Japan.

Seriously. I'm in the category that I'm calling Weeaboo, based on the New 4Chan Dictionary ("someone who likes something that is from Japan"). I'm not being insulting about it, and chances are that I will continue to use the term without giving it any thought, and if other people decide to get butt-hurt over it, then that can be their problem. Yes, I know that it's the filter of "Wapanese", which was originally a derogatory term. But these days... not so much.

Ons/Offs: