Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: ToriJ on October 06, 2013, 09:34:46 PM
I don't remember any lag, or is that just if you play online?
I can't play online at all... so no. Blighttown lags like a bitch.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revelation

The term you're looking for is frame rate drop, which does happen in blighttown. Lag implies a different issue altogether where instead of the frame rate dropping, theres a disconnect between the server and your machine - so while the server says you're at X and are suppose to take damage from being hit, your console overrides that by saying you're at Z, and backstabbing the enemy player. This happens because Dark souls online uses p2p between two consoles, instead of a 3rd party server like Demons Souls did.

Shjade

My favorite thing about Dark Souls is the variety of viable options.

I mean, so many RPGs offer you all these different class combos or gear options or whatever, but people generally figure out that X style of play is the most efficient and going with that will steamroll things the fastest and 95% of the other options are strictly inferior.

In Dark Souls there may be things that are stronger than other options...but it's hard to say how many of them are definitively "better." You can go unarmored with a demon's great axe and smash things. You can go in heavy armor with dark magic and smash things. You can go balanced with a katana and clear rooms. You can focus on miracle buffs for whatever weapon you pick to buff. You can go strictly ranged (though that's considerably harder given the difficulty with aiming ranged weapons in the DS control scheme, at least for me). You can dual wield. You can go two-handed without ever using a shield. You can do all kinds of things and still clear the game if you're good enough; most options don't make you feel like you're "doing it wrong," unless, of course, you're actually doing it wrong.

I love that.

Granted, I don't use a lot of the weapons available simply because I don't like how they feel or behave, but I took the time to try out a lot of them knowing I could compare them rather evenly on the whole. I didn't have to go into it knowing I was picking something inferior to the +5 lightning zweihander or whatever because that's "the best" and everything else is just flat out worse, 'cause that's just not true.

Least favorite thing?

Hackers. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

meikle

Quote from: Tsenta on October 06, 2013, 08:16:07 PMPlatforming, puzzles, the whole shebang. Not JUST combat because the devs decided to troll people with broken/cheap enemy tactics.

Uh huh.  StarCraft is such a terrible game; where's the platforming?!  What shitty design.

QuoteEDIT:  Also, I don't think most of us are saying it is a bad game because it is hard... We are saying its a bad game because of its design.

"Between the limited move set the player is given, the slow player side animations, the massive damage the mobs do, the fact that it forces you back to a limited check point when you AND resets the entire stage"
"enemies that use juggle tactics and have 1shot strength"
"Not JUST combat because the devs decided to troll people with broken/cheap enemy tactics. "
"Memorize the maps, attack patters and placements of enemies."  I like this one, because it's basically, "The game isn't hard, you just have to keep losing and starting over until you figure it out."  Which is basically true of any game that isn't a cakewalk.

Yes, the constant complaints that "this game is too unforgiving!" suggests to me that these are people who do not like the game because it is hard, and are trying to save face by saying, you know, it's the BAD kind of hard because it's the kind of hard that they struggle with.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 06, 2013, 11:59:35 PM
The term you're looking for is frame rate drop, which does happen in blighttown. Lag implies a different issue altogether where instead of the frame rate dropping, theres a disconnect between the server and your machine - so while the server says you're at X and are suppose to take damage from being hit, your console overrides that by saying you're at Z, and backstabbing the enemy player. This happens because Dark souls online uses p2p between two consoles, instead of a 3rd party server like Demons Souls did.
Fine, technically you're right. I find in practice it leads to a lot of the same results. My character dead for no determinable reason. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ladia2287

I know it's kind of old, but I'm pretty well obsessed with the Ezio Auditore timeline in the Assassin's Creed series. Mainly because they feature the Borgia family quite a lot (and I personally find them a fascinating family to try to research), and also, because the first time I played it I kinda thought Ezio was hot (don't laugh; this was a few years ago now)

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: meikle on October 07, 2013, 06:30:47 AM
Uh huh.  StarCraft is such a terrible game; where's the platforming?!  What shitty design.

"Between the limited move set the player is given, the slow player side animations, the massive damage the mobs do, the fact that it forces you back to a limited check point when you AND resets the entire stage"
"enemies that use juggle tactics and have 1shot strength"
"Not JUST combat because the devs decided to troll people with broken/cheap enemy tactics. "
"Memorize the maps, attack patters and placements of enemies."  I like this one, because it's basically, "The game isn't hard, you just have to keep losing and starting over until you figure it out."  Which is basically true of any game that isn't a cakewalk.

Yes, the constant complaints that "this game is too unforgiving!" suggests to me that these are people who do not like the game because it is hard, and are trying to save face by saying, you know, it's the BAD kind of hard because it's the kind of hard that they struggle with.

Everything you listed is in the design of the game.  Honestly, I don't think discussing this with you is going to get anywhere as you are dead set, in your mind, that they hate the game because they "suck at it."  Which is plain silly. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

The Golden Touch

Could just list the games you think are good and let people make a decision for themselves. Way to make this thread a cesspool of aggression. This is for everyone and not a single entity being called out.

OT: I tried the new Final Fantasy via PS3 with a mouse and keyboard. It was pretty good, and I have a seriously not been interested in one since 10.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Inkidu

Quote from: ladia2287 on October 07, 2013, 09:55:50 AM
I know it's kind of old, but I'm pretty well obsessed with the Ezio Auditore timeline in the Assassin's Creed series. Mainly because they feature the Borgia family quite a lot (and I personally find them a fascinating family to try to research), and also, because the first time I played it I kinda thought Ezio was hot (don't laugh; this was a few years ago no
Ezio is my man. Even pushing sixty he was awesome!

In other news:

So psyched for Xcom: Enemy Within.

Also, in Arkham Origins News: The guy who voiced Ezio (and Chris Redfield sense 5) is voicing the younger Batman, and he's not bad.

Troy  Baker is voicing a young Joker and while I love Mark Hamil, I have to say as a younger Joker Troy's pretty damn good. :)

Kazae

I have beaten it to hell and back, but keep returning to Asura's Wrath.  Gods, I love that game.

Recently, Risk of Rain has been sucking up more of my time than it should - that, and Borderlands 2. (Melee Zer0!)

I'm surprisingly pleased with GTA V, and that's as a fan who loved all of them, maybe save Chinatown Wars.  I think the sheer exuberant brightness of V, on a visual level, is a welcome reprieve from the grey on grey of IV.  And I LIKED IV.

And yes, I got a Wii U for one game.  But that game is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, because no I am not buying a 3DS.

Also, Monster Hunter 3 U was better as Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD on PS3, but this is not the place for console war nonsense.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

meikle

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 07, 2013, 10:35:16 AM
Everything you listed is in the design of the game.  Honestly, I don't think discussing this with you is going to get anywhere as you are dead set, in your mind, that they hate the game because they "suck at it."  Which is plain silly.

Yeah.  Any complaint that comes down to "it's too easy to lose" (like, 'enemies hit too hard and that makes me have to start over!') is something that I am going to read as "This is too difficult."

O and O and Discord
A and A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: meikle on October 07, 2013, 01:18:11 PM
Yeah.  Any complaint that comes down to "it's too easy to lose" (like, 'enemies hit too hard and that makes me have to start over!') is something that I am going to read as "This is too difficult."

I think you've missed the point, but that's okay.  Since your mind is so made up, this conversation no longer has a point.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

ToriJ

The last good game I played was Game Dev Tycoon. A business simulator by a small game development company called Greenheart Games. It only costs 10 dollars to download and it's well worth it IMO. You start off in the 1980's as the owner of your own gaming company and can go from your basement to a huge office, lead the market, make various games with different subjects and genres, any of the available platforms through the years, make your own platform and manage your money. It's the most fun I had with a game in a long time.

Chris Brady

Quote from: meikle on October 07, 2013, 01:18:11 PM
Dark Souls isn't hard.  Not sure where you're coming from here.  It's really easy once you figure out the simple patterns.  It just makes people think it's difficult with massive damage and cheap tricks.  And once you figure out the tricks for a certain area, I don't get a sense of accomplishment, because it then changes the tricks and patterns.  I just find it tedious.  Not to mention that I have to dig for the plot and story, often adding to the tedium.

On topic:  I'm having a lot of fun with Ni no Kuni: Wrath of The White Witch for the PS3.  Now there's a challenging game!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ToriJ

Darksiders for the 360, PS3 and PC has been amazing fun so far. So glad that my friend suggested it to me.

Formless

Found ' Resident Evil : Revelations ' on the PSN store.

Downloaded it and played it and I have to say. The story and plot twists were so amazing , I can't believe they did not make it part of the main series. It was much better than any RE game I've played before.

And Raid Mode was a blast too. Online and offline.

meikle

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 07, 2013, 07:39:52 PMIt just makes people think it's difficult with massive damage and cheap tricks.  And once you figure out the tricks for a certain area, I don't get a sense of accomplishment, because it then changes the tricks and patterns.
This doesn't make sense to me.  "This game is easy because all you have to do is play it until you figure out how to win!  Then when you figure out how to win, you have to start over, and learning is tedious!"

Uh huh.  I guess a hard game for you is one where ... you can't learn how to beat it?  Once you learn how to win, nothing ever changes so you can just keep repeating what you're doing?  The hell are you looking for?

O and O and Discord
A and A

Inkidu

Quote from: Formless on October 08, 2013, 07:21:51 PM
Found ' Resident Evil : Revelations ' on the PSN store.

Downloaded it and played it and I have to say. The story and plot twists were so amazing , I can't believe they did not make it part of the main series. It was much better than any RE game I've played before.

And Raid Mode was a blast too. Online and offline.
Yeah, the only real complaint I have is that the guns start out way, way, way underpowered and get to about passable, and the every episode recap that plays even if you're continuing on from said episode. Also, the checkpoints are so forgiving that a no-death run is easily fudgeable (raises hand), but that's not really a mark against the game.

Formless

Quote from: Inkidu on October 08, 2013, 10:22:13 PM
Yeah, the only real complaint I have is that the guns start out way, way, way underpowered and get to about passable, and the every episode recap that plays even if you're continuing on from said episode. Also, the checkpoints are so forgiving that a no-death run is easily fudgeable (raises hand), but that's not really a mark against the game.

I found them underpowered in Raid Mode. In the Campaign they were fine. Weak spot , dazed , melee. Well , except against the really nasty ones * Rachael comes to mind *

I dont know

Skyrim and League of Legends basically what I play at the moment.

Inkidu

Quote from: Formless on October 09, 2013, 05:12:00 AM
I found them underpowered in Raid Mode. In the Campaign they were fine. Weak spot , dazed , melee. Well , except against the really nasty ones * Rachael comes to mind *
Oh... don't even... I hate Rachel. How the heck did she even come back! D:<

Tise

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but the Last of Us is one of the best games that I have ever played and according to my friends Beyond two souls is pretty good too.
Not All Who Wonder Are Lost

Skyguy

XCom: Enemy Unknown is a blast if you like turn based tactical games. Best part is there's an expansion coming out soon. Definitely worth a playthrough.

Still playing Kerbal Space Program, it's just a great way to relax.

Inkidu

Quote from: Skyguy on October 13, 2013, 09:45:42 AM
XCom: Enemy Unknown is a blast if you like turn based tactical games. Best part is there's an expansion coming out soon. Definitely worth a playthrough.

Still playing Kerbal Space Program, it's just a great way to relax.
Hey don't give that geoscape the short end. If you don't manage that right you can win all the battles and still lose the entire game.

Skyguy

Yeah, there's some strategizing there but if you can make it through the first month you'll likely be fine, even on classic ironman. The only time I get in trouble with the geoscape is early on when coverage is bad and you can get multiple missions to the same area. Easy for panic to get dangerously high with some bad options in mission locations.