Recently approved? Want to meet people? Join the Mafia! (Non-adult)

Started by Valerian, March 31, 2010, 11:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

By which I mean the Mafia party game, of course.   ;D  The Mafia Game (or its equally popular variant, Werewolves of Miller's Hollow) have long been a big part of the non-adult games here on Elliquiy, and they can be a great way to meet people.  I'm planning a round of the game just for the newer members of E, as a way to help you mingle and make friends.

For those unfamiliar with the game, Mafia was developed at Moscow State University in 1986, by a psychology student who wanted to study the effects of having an informed minority working against an uninformed majority.  In other words, the Mafia (or werewolves, or rebels trying to overthrow a king, etc.) know who their allies are, but they must work in secrecy, since they are greatly outnumbered by the innocents, who are unaware of who they can trust.  Each night, the Mafia choose one other player to eliminate from play; each day, everyone votes to "lynch" or otherwise remove someone from the game.  Special roles -- such as a guardian who can shield one player from the Mafia each night, or a seer who can spy out the roles of others -- shake up the game and keep everyone on their toes.  (You can look through the Vault or peek into Mafia Madness for examples of how the games work.)

Lies and deception are the order of the day, but remember, it's nothing personal.  :)  This is a light roleplaying game, and I'll be keeping the groups small (about 10 people) so rounds can move along fairly quickly.  Roles are assigned randomly, and themes will vary from game to game.  Plotting happens both in the public game thread and via private message, and it’s hard to be sure who to believe!  But the games are always entertaining, and never predictable.

To begin with, we'll use the ever-popular werewolf setting.  If you were approved within the last three months or so, and you fancy trying to stop the onslaught of the were-beasts (or maybe being one!), just post your interest here, or send me a private message.  The first game will start once I have 10-12 players, but if it’s popular enough, there will be more games later on if you miss this one.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Maric

The Exiled

Ex68471

I have played this a couple times on other forums, and it has never been a mistake yet. Sign me up, please!
Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

VictoriaVale

Valerian

Okay!  So far we have:

• Albedo
  • Maric
  • The Exiled
  • Nero Shadow
  • Ex68471
  • VictoriaVale
  • Watari
  • Lucius Cornelius
  • AncientMaster
  • The Unholy Potato

I've started an OOC thread, with an example of how the game is played, here.  You can ask questions there and chat a little if you like, until the game itself gets underway.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Watari

Is this still open for more people? Cause if so, sign me up! I <3 Mafia

Lucius Cornelius

first time i see this game but i'm in
(if there is still room for it , ...)

Valerian

Sure!  You're both on the list, and feel free to post in the OOC thread as well.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

The game will begin once we have ten players, and we just need two more for that.  Don't miss out on the lycanthropy!
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

AncientMaster

Hello, I just got aproved, i would love to join put me down  ;D

Lucius Cornelius

The Unholy Potato

Oh my, do add me before someone else gets the last spot. Unless that's already happened. Well, whichever. I'm The Unholy Potato, and I'd be interested in playing Mafia/Werewolf/whatever.

Valerian

Okay, I believe we now have enough to begin!  Though I will go up to twelve players if there's that much interest, so one or two more can still sneak in.  There's still a little prep work to do.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Last chance!  The plotting and scheming will begin soon, but I can still take one or two more players if anyone else is interested.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

The bad news?  We've lost a few players.  But the good news is that we need new players!  If you missed out on the start before, I'll be rebooting the game soon, and now's your chance to join in.  Reply here or send me a PM if you're interested.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Imogen

Be careful what you sign up for...  Those games are wickedly addictive!!  ;D
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Love And Submission

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Valerian

Watari
Lucius Cornelius
Albedo
DTW
Lord Mayerling
The Unholy Potato
ScorpioQueen

I have a few other possibles I'm waiting to hear from, but I have space for ten players at least.  As Imogen says, these games must be addictive, since all the same people keep coming back for more.   :D
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lord Mayerling

ScorpioQueen

I would love details please Valerian, if there is still room. :)
I'm your queen, you will obey me! Now tie me up and spank me!

Valerian

There is still room!  If you know the Mafia party game at all, this is basically the same setup online.  There are examples in the Vault and Mafia Madness of how the games work online, and Wikipedia has a pretty good overview of it as well.

Basically, we'll have two or three werewolves (depending on how many players there are total) who are trying to eliminate the villagers; and the villagers will be trying to eliminate the wolves, with the help of the guardian who can protect one person a night, and the seer who can learn one person's role each night.  It's mainly a strategy sort of game, trying to work out who's who based on votes, with a little roleplaying thrown in for fun.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

ScorpioQueen

Sounds like a plan to me :) simple enough. Do I need to PM you?

Valerian

Nope, I'll just add you to the list.  Welcome aboard!  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

ScorpioQueen

Awesome. Thanks darling. :) what's the link? Or are we still waiting to start it up?