News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

THE BEEEEES! NOT THE BEEEEEEEEEEES!

Lustful Bride

Hmmm seems the A-10s are being brought back into service to fight ISIS and that they work better than other plans for what is needed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/war-against-islamic-state-moves-a-10-jet-from-cutting-board-to-front-lines/ar-BBmW2YX?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=iehp

Im kind of glad, the A-10 is old indeed but the concept of this plane is still a good one.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 15, 2015, 04:11:21 PM
Hmmm seems the A-10s are being brought back into service to fight ISIS and that they work better than other plans for what is needed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/war-against-islamic-state-moves-a-10-jet-from-cutting-board-to-front-lines/ar-BBmW2YX?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=iehp

Im kind of glad, the A-10 is old indeed but the concept of this plane is still a good one.

Have to say, the Warthog was a heck of a plane.  Quite a favorite among pilots, I've heard.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ironwolf85

it's a great all rounder I've been told, and it's not one for just being just a guided bomb platform. It can strafe targets on the ground. Somthing our other jets are actually too fast to do in any effective manner. (hence our use of gunships and drones for ground strafing.)
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Zakharra

It's also good at taking a beating. It was designed to get shot up and still fly. I like that it still has a place in combat. :)

Oniya

Quote from: Zakharra on November 16, 2015, 03:06:45 PM
  It's also good at taking a beating. It was designed to get shot up and still fly. I like that it still has a place in combat. :)

And protect the pilot.  There's a reason that they refer to it as the 'titanium bathtub.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Oniya on November 16, 2015, 06:16:19 PM
And protect the pilot.  There's a reason that they refer to it as the 'titanium bathtub.'

I like that nickname.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Avis habilis

It's a lot better than "wobblin' goblin" at any rate.

eBadger

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 15, 2015, 04:11:21 PMhttp://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/war-against-islamic-state-moves-a-10-jet-from-cutting-board-to-front-lines/ar-BBmW2YX?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=iehp

It's an interesting article with some intriguing spin.  Personally, while I do think the A10 is a true classic of military planes, I read the comments about the AF repeatedly trying to phase them out and asserting they are inefficient and redundant with several other platforms and apparently so rarely used in actual conflict that rotating a dozen of them in is a surprise and I get a very different message about the pork being put back in the budget by congress.

Ironwolf85

What we should do is replace the A10 with a more advanced version to fill the same roll. Like an A-12 or somthing.
we need a low flying heavily armed plane for ground support roles rather than just precision bombing.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on November 17, 2015, 11:58:16 PM
What we should do is replace the A10 with a more advanced version to fill the same roll. Like an A-12 or somthing.
we need a low flying heavily armed plane for ground support roles rather than just precision bombing.
You'd need a different number for it. The A-12 (Avenger II) was a program to develop a carrier-capable stealth attack plane, to replace the A-6 Intruder. It's the reason the Intruder was never upgraded to the A-6F version, and when the A-12 program was cancelled there was no real attack plane left at all.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 18, 2015, 01:18:14 AM
You'd need a different number for it. The A-12 (Avenger II) was a program to develop a carrier-capable stealth attack plane, to replace the A-6 Intruder. It's the reason the Intruder was never upgraded to the A-6F version, and when the A-12 program was cancelled there was no real attack plane left at all.

A-20?

Cassandra LeMay

Whatever the number, it's not gonna happen. Over the last few decades the trend has been to multi-role planes that can be used by both Air Force and Navy. Specialized ground attack planes like the A-10 aren't exactly en vogue these days. And even if they were, someone would insist that an A-10 replacement should be carrier-capable - something that's not not possible with a plane that matches the A-10 in armor, firepower, etc., far as I know planes. And even if that problem could be overcome, you'd never get the budget. With the F-35 touted as the plane for the future that is oh so versatile and superior, no one would want to admit that it leaves a gap in the arsenal at its hideously high cost.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 18, 2015, 03:14:43 AM
Whatever the number, it's not gonna happen. Over the last few decades the trend has been to multi-role planes that can be used by both Air Force and Navy. Specialized ground attack planes like the A-10 aren't exactly en vogue these days. And even if they were, someone would insist that an A-10 replacement should be carrier-capable - something that's not not possible with a plane that matches the A-10 in armor, firepower, etc., far as I know planes. And even if that problem could be overcome, you'd never get the budget. With the F-35 touted as the plane for the future that is oh so versatile and superior, no one would want to admit that it leaves a gap in the arsenal at its hideously high cost.
then it looks like, one way or the other, the A-10 is here to stay for a while.
At least until we can find soothing to fill the same role. Or, ya'know, upgrade the engine, armor, weapons, onboard eletronics, ect with new tech till it might as well be something new.
I'm fairly sure the pentagon doesn't want to get embarissed like it did early on in korea... not including guns on their planes "cuz rockets are the way of the future" -_-

Oniya

As I expected there would be, there's been a response from someone with impeccable credentials on that exact subject.

Skynet

In spite of all the ugliness, there has been acts of kindness towards Muslims and Syrians.

For one, a kid emptied his piggy bank to donate to a defaced mosque.

In another example, a Minneapolis Chapter of the Church of Satan offered to accompany Muslims going out in public on errands and what not after concerns of Islamophobia:

The last one's rather ironic in seeing Satanists better living up to Jesus' teachings than some self-defined Christians running for office in the US. coughHuckabeecough

Oniya

I've met a few self-described Satanists.  A good percentage use the name for the shock value, or as a way of turning their back on the 'established Church'.  I'm betting that the head(s) of the Minneapolis chapter think that it'll be great fun to show up the self-defined Christians by being more 'Christ-like'.  The irony is something deliberate - although I do think that they are sincere at the same time.

TheGlyphstone

I've always understood 'mainstream' Satanism, as far as the most popular/common variant can be described, as being atheism with a funny hat on top.

AmberStarfire

I've known a few satanists as well, and met up with 2 of them in RL (a friend and her husband). They were good people (so far as I can tell) whose perspectives were more 'left hand path' than 'anti-christian', exactly. They once described it to me in terms of their connection with 'divinity'. Christians and those who follow a right hand path follow deity and commune with deity, and their left hand path was an approach toward 'becoming deity'. I didn't pry overly into their rituals, but I knew they incorporated dark elements as well as light.

Oniya

Kinda sorta :D  LaVeyan Satanism (the most common) declares that each individual is their own 'god'.  The Satanic Temple is a slightly different offshoot, but still considers Satan as a symbol rather than an actual entity.

TaintedAndDelish

I've read a bit about LaVeyan Satanism and to be quite honest, it actually seemed to be rather sane. They claim to be atheists and that their rituals are more artistic or psychological in nature. The only thing I really didn't like about them from what I read and watched on youtube was an attitude of survival of the fittest or comptempt for the weak if I understood it properly. It's easy to say that we should let the weak fail and the strong succeed when you are not attached to anyone who is "weak" or unable to survive on their own. It's another thing when you are close to someone who fits into this category. I believe they see charity or welfare as something that works against humanity rather than for as it makes it possible for unsuccessful people to prosper ( and presumably give birth to more people who will be similarly unsuccessful )

I'm not so sure if the original church of satan is still around and of considerable size.  From what I've read, they went through a lot of change over the years. For the curious, they have a website and some youtube videos online.

Ironwolf85

- _ - It took me a long time to figure them out, and I still disagree with their theology. I think we give ol'scratch far FAR too much credit. Most of the stuff about the devil we believe as a culture is more a result of renaissance biblical fan-fiction than anything actually theologically important. It's like reading the davinchi code books and thinking you know about rennisance art.
Though largely they bug me because I hate Religion-Trolls.

that texas "Family Values" group who pays for art showings of hateful artworks just to piss on/off muslim communities in the US.
The Lawyer who made a fortune in legal settlements by riding town to town across the bible belt suing them over religious icons on public land. Including the crosses in a town graveyard.
neo-Nazis who fling pigs blood at rabbis.

yeah these guys piss me off.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on November 21, 2015, 09:06:35 AM
The Lawyer who made a fortune in legal settlements by riding town to town across the bible belt suing them over religious icons on public land. Including the crosses in a town graveyard.

Don't forget removing the Marine memorial cross which was for all the soldier's who died at Okinawa.

Every group in the world has assholes in them and we should be kicking them down into the marianas trench where they belong. -_-

In Some good news a Neo Nazi plan to create several "All White" towns was thwarted by the people in the region banning together and working against them.

at least it remains a constant truth that we can hate all Nazis together.

Saw it about a day ago but now I cant find the article.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on November 21, 2015, 09:06:35 AM
How much truth is there in that? Guess this story never made it across the pond. At least I have never heard of it. But I do wonder if the lawyer in question really got all that rich from it. With stories about absurd lawsuits, my impression is that usually only the absurd demands of the original lawsuit gain media attention, and that is what sticks in people's memories and gets spread around the internet, no matter the actual outcome of the suit.

(Sonia Sotomayor)