Are you good at scrabble?

Started by Mymar, July 22, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymar

I'm terrible at scrabble, yet I'm good at figuring out phrase and word meanings if there is enough context. What are your strengths in language?

Blaskovich

Well, Scrabble's more of a memory game than anything.  Like that guy a while back who won a French Scrabble championship without knowing any French: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/21/424980378/winner-of-french-scrabble-title-does-not-speak-french

He just memorized a ton of words in a french dictionary, like studying for a spelling bee.  He still can't speak it at all and doesn't know the meaning of the words, but he memorized correct letter orders and that's all that matters in that game.

Mathim

Quote from: Mymar on July 22, 2015, 05:06:32 PM
I'm terrible at scrabble, yet I'm good at figuring out phrase and word meanings if there is enough context. What are your strengths in language?

I'm a very self-conscious thesaurus-style speaker. I mentally note every word I say and try as often as possible to substitute in other words so I refrain from repeating the same ones. I'm pretty good at it after so much practice. It helps me expand my lexicon.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Exceptionally good, but my degree is in English.

For fun we played it in Middle English.

It's not all about vocabulary though. It is about knowing what pieces you've got to work with. So more like poker.

Unless you just like the vocab aspect in which case you poach a bunch of sets' tiles and go to town. :3
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.