Feychaser (Fantasy freeform, reboot)

Started by Ontan, April 13, 2018, 10:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

Arcadia

I'm working now on a Seelie alchemist, and I have a couple more questions:

I'm curious about naming conventions for Seelie in and around Reamsul, and in general.

I'm conceptualizing my character as having been trained in alchemy by a respectable institution, then taking a job with a fairly shady group of some kind dominated by Unseelie, who took her on in part as cover for their shady experiments. Are independent alchemy or similar organizations a viable thing, or is esoteric research largely confined to things like universities? And speaking of, names, or at least a naming style for, possible institutions she could have studied at would be handy.

I also have a request, of anyone willing to help! I'm not the best at finding pictures, and I could use some help finding a good one for my character. I'm envisioning her as fairly short but curvy, and not really athletic at all; she's a scholar, first and foremost, but does like to dress to accentuate her appearance when possible. Any assistance with character pics would be much obliged!

Wolfling72

Do you have a particular hair color in mind, Arcadia? And do you want a full body shot or a portrait? Maybe just the face or upper body?
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Flower

Arcadia

Thank you for the images you PMed, Wolfling!

Quote from: Hyacinth on April 17, 2018, 07:27:42 PM
Option 1

Option 2

I really like option 2 for your idea, Arcadia.

I have such a hard time parsing the layout if Pintrest, despite the many times it has changed. If I'm seeing the right images, I think the second one is far too frumpy, my character as so far developed is definitely very sexually libertine, though it's not really a focus of hers. I like the first one a fair bit, although the owl isn't really fitting for the character idea.

Poking around Pintrest suggestions, I found (assuming I'm linking these correctly) this one and this other one which I like both of, for different reasons. I'm leaning toward the latter, I think.

Flower

Rebelle

Okay, popping this WIP in here, just as a because... Nothing to see here so far.. lots of history to go through still...

But that way I can look at it while i am at work and think more on it ;)

WIP
Player Name: Rebelle
Character Name: Saoirse Windchaser
Concept: The Royal Hunter
Race (Age): Half Elf [Human/Seelie]
Place of origin: The Hamlet of RiversKeep [Just North of the Capital]
Appearance and Mannerisms: Saoirse stands a lithe 5'7 with flowing red hair that goes beyond her shoulders, several hunter braids adorn her hair, along with bits of hammered metal.  Her skin is sunkissed, and while she could never be mistaken for a full blooded elf, she does have the telltale curve and point to her ears - but the most notable features rest upon her face.  One eye is the bluest of blue, while the other is the greenest of green - considered to be a symbol of the dual nature of her birth or as some would say - the touch of the goddess.  Also, there is a scar that runs diagnol across her right eye - a souveiner of a fight that was too close for comfort.  She may dress the part of a maiden, but finds herself far more comfortable in leather breeches and armor.  And while she may appear to be unarmed, do not be fooled, for there is a knife always somewhere.  Around her throat, she wears a silver wolf's head made of Crucible Steel, it's eyes encrusted with red rubies.  | Saoirse is charismatic, and can put most at ease - even her queries, she speaks softly most times - but when she raises her voice it is commanding.  She tends to keep track of those around her as well as her surroundings.  She carries herself with a dignity and a sureness that usually is only found with time and age.  While she is devout in her belief of her goddess, she does not shout it from the rooftops attempting to evangelize others. 
Background: Oh what love can do, when their eyes are blinded with stars, and their hearts are filled with joy.

General Nevious Windchaser was one of the greatest generals that Reamsul had ever laid eyes upon.  He was a general that men respected, not out of fear, but out of the knowledge that he would not ask upon even the lowliest of foot soldiers a task that he himself would not be willing to take up.  He was a general who stood by his honor, his loyalty to the throne and the queen and king as well as to those men and women who served under him, and to the people he protected.  At one point in his career, early on, there were whispers that he received his status simply for the fact he was some distant relation to the throne.  However, he quickly put those whispers and that gossip under his thumb when he posited a challenge to any whom wished to take it - best him, and he would stand down, he would retreat to the life of a farmer or ranger; and if he bested his opponent, they would either have to serve for five years in the army, or volunteer their time amongst those who were less fortunate. 

He was challenged by tacticians, he was challenged by historians, he was challenged by warriors.  His army swelled in numbers that year, and those who joined found themselves in a rank befitting their knowledge not their status.  He earned the respect of Remasul, and earned the name 'The Silver Wolf' for his cunning diplomacy. 

Sorcha Grayspear was a renowned armor and weaponsmith, a human whom was said to be blessed by the Gods.  She was intelligent, witty, and strong.  A rare beauty in both mind and body.  She was an artisian though she would never call herself as such.  She was bold, and cared not for the lifestyle her talents could bring her.  Instead, she chose to remain outside of the grand walls of the capital, plying her trade for those who had enough money, and watched intently as the armies moved across the land, protecting all those who were it's citizens.  She watched as the Silver Wolf rode in front, leading his army with the knowledge he would return.  She watched as the Silver Wolf would return victorious, and listen as the heralds would sound his arrival. 

They were star crossed, meant to be.  What at first was a simple gaze, turned into conversation, turned into something more.  Nevious had become enchanted, and she had become enarmored.  They loved one another, and it was as clear as one could see.  No matter the witty little laughter, the jests, the whisperings, there was no denying their love that brought forth their daughter, a half elf by the name of Saoirse.  With the beautiful red hair of her mother, the pointed ears, her willowy form, she was a sight.  Intelligent, cunning, her father called her his little Silver Cub, and instead of remaining in the Capital at all times, as he would do when he was a bachelor, the man moved his mate and his daughter to the family lands of RiversKeep.  Not too far away from the Capital, but far enough to where his daughter would not hear the whispers until she was old enough to deal with them.  It was of no surprise when Saoirse began to show an attunement to the nature that surrounded her, as a boy he was the same - the woodlands were his playground, just as they were hers now.  A bow and arrow were given to her as a child, her first weapons, her first tools of the trade.  She would never be able to take her father's mantle, but she would be able to provide.  It, however, was a surprise that she also held within herself, magic.  At first it was just simply little things that she could do, and then it...grew.

A druid who lived on the lands was brought to Saoirse to teach her how to harness this magic, lest she kill herself, and he taught her the art of healing by calling upon her chosen patron, D'wasayna the goddess of healing, life, and the hunt.  While she learned elvish things, protocol, and beliefs, her mother also taught her the value of good honest hard work, to love infinitely, and to never think she is better than anyone else.  That there would be those whom would make fun of her for the fact she only was one half, never full - but they are the ones whom should be pitied, because they are only shells in the belief that they are her better.  That there are those who are less fortunate than she, while she may never rise through the ranks, she still had a place in which she belonged.  From both of her parents she was taught what love truly looked like, what partnership could be, and what loyalty and honor truly meant. 

But the hardest lesson of all was that of death.  No, it was not that she had not experienced before.  Her first kill, the death of the eldest in the hamlet, deaths that seemed unfair and unjust.  But it was not personal, that is until her mother died suddenly after a fever hit her.  The druids attempted to heal her, clerics were called in, even the shaman.  But nothing could be done, and Sorcha passed away, leaving behind a grieving daughter and husband in her stead.  While she was not an elven maiden, she was given a proper burial inside of the hamlet, and all whom lived there attended, in memorial of her life, celebrating it.  Nevious was not a man who understood how to deal with his grief, nor his daughter's; so he chose instead to fight it out, to fight in the name of his goddess, to protect the life of those who could not fight for themselves.  With a calvary of volunteers, he rode off into the sunset to help assist those whom had been harmed by the Cull, and Saoirse began to become the woman that was foretold she would become, and follow the teachings of her parents, her druid teacher, and her goddess. 

Soon, Saoirse came to the capital more and more, at first it was only to get the lay of the land so to speak.  To find information out about her father and his calvary of protectors.  Then, she began to take up hunts for those who needed to speak for their crimes.  She was charming, she was mercurial at times, and she was very capable of her profession - all of which grabbed the attention of the King and Queen and others of the court.  While she could not hold a station, it was soon known she became their favored hunter.  Bringing criminals and game to the Court.  There were those who quietly gave the young woman their respect, though of course, it was not vocalized.  There were those who believed she flew too close to the sun and was going to get burned.  But she ignored all of this talk, for such trappings were not for her.  Instead, she allowed the goddess D'waysana to guide her feet and her mind.  And that is how one day she heard the call to join the crew of the Feychaser, and remembering the words of her mother, of her father - she stepped forward and offered her sword, her bow, her arrow, and herself to aide those who could not help themselves.  After an audience with her Queen and King, Saoirse took her leave, placing another hunter in her stead. 

Skills (3-5):
Ranged Weapons Journeyman - From the time she was a young girl, Saoirse took to a bow and arrow like a duck to water.  Her eye is keen and her aim is true, even being skilled with trick shots and firing multiple arrows.
Dual Wielding (Daggers)Apprentice - An arrow is not always a conventional method, and her mother taught her to favor the smaller more versatile blades. 
Healing MagicApprentice - With the hands of D'waysana guiding her, she can use pure magic to help heal less severe wounds and sicknesses, including putting a person into a healing sleep, however she must use items such as herbs, feathers, fresh water, soil, and even her own blood to heal more aggregious wounds.
Nature Affinity[Journeyman[/i] - With her time in the woods Saoirse has learned how to find her way through the wilderness by using natural telltale signs (how the moss grows, the way the birds fly, etc), recognizing natural hazards, dealing with and identifying natural creatures, living off the land as well as using camoflauge and tracking.
Charms[Apprentice[/i] - The Druid was able to teach Saoirse the ability to imbue her arrows with elemental magics such as fire, ice, and earth, as well as poisons specific for her quarry that she is hunting.

Strengths:
Way with words - Saoirse can bring about just about anyone given enough time, she has that sort of charm about her.  She can also get her point across without having to be forceful. 
Courageous - To walk into the courts and catch the attention of the Royals as well as to face the adversity, the snickers, and the stares takes balls (proverbial), and a steely spine, and the girl is definitely courageous, having fell some of the mightiest beasts and bandits.
Loyal - Saoirse is loyal to a cause in which she believes, to her leaders, and to her family.  Those who join the cause also find themselves to be gifted with her loyalty.
Hearty - Saoirse rarely ever finds herself sick, rarely gets a chill, and seems to be of a strong constitution and endless stamina.
Hunter's Mark - When Saoirse concentrates her focus on her querry, this makes her ignore distractions and sees through misdirection and stealth attempts.
Flaws:
Reckless - Saoirse can be reckless at times, in which she does not think of her own safety and plunges straight forward to whatever the trouble may be.  It almost seems like she goes out and seeks it.
Untravelled - Saoirse has not been farther than the Capital, and in doing so she has not had a chance to learn of other places or cultures.
Embittered Foes - There are those of the Court that believe Saoirse attempts to attain a station far above her means as a half-blood, and they wish to cut out her knees from under her and take the Hamlet as well as her inheritance from her for her 'transgressions.'
Connections:
Ons and Offs: Please see Player's O/O's

OOC safety net:

Ontan

Wolfing: Received and replied!

Tolvo: Yes! New characters are still welcome, and encouraged. You can check out the character roster to see what's here already.

Rebelle: Despite your dubious claims that there's nothing to see, I'm liking what you've got so far! If you want to write up a 2-3 line blurb about the goddess D'wasayna, I'm happy to add it to the worldbuilding... but that's entirely optional.

Arcadia: Independent guilds and organisations are definitely a thing, especially since the Unseelie (being insular and competitive by nature) were displaced and moved to Reamsul. I'm generally happy to give players plenty of latitude when it comes to naming things and places, but because you asked:

Naming conventions for Reamsul's institutions

The Royal Academies are the foremost institutions of learning and research in the east, and arguably the entire realm. They're renowned enough that their names need little embellishment: The Royal Academy of War, the Royal Academy of Theology, the Royal Academy of Alchemy, and so on.

Universities and temples are the next step down. They're smaller and far more numerous, but some of them are still extremely prestigious. They're named after places (The University of Iveos), or famous historical figures (The Temple of Aelrindel's Mercy, the Caihana University of Architecture, etc.).

Guilds and Houses are much more business oriented, and are fully independent. They can be famous or obscure, professional or seedy, exclusive or welcoming... the only prerequisite is that they're solvent, really. The larger guilds tend to have generic, descriptive names (the Builders' Guild, the Guild of Barber-Surgeons), while smaller operators, and Unseelie ones in particular, are much more theatrical (The Stonemaster Guild, the House of Mirrored Razors).

Edit: And Nikla Carraway, played by Wolfling, has joined the roster!

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Wolfling72 on April 17, 2018, 05:26:04 PM
An idea for a boisterous, terribly flirty half Orc warrior woman...working on her sheet now, Ontan. You should have something in PM before the night ends...

(damn you and GMC for being so damned awesome)

Wolfling72

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on April 18, 2018, 10:03:02 AM

Ohhh yes. YOU are a terrible influence, dammit...

Also YAY!! Nikla is in the house!!
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Rebelle

Quote from: Ontan on April 18, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
Wolfing: Received and replied!

Tolvo: Yes! New characters are still welcome, and encouraged. You can check out the character roster to see what's here already.

Rebelle: Despite your dubious claims that there's nothing to see, I'm liking what you've got so far! If you want to write up a 2-3 line blurb about the goddess D'wasayna, I'm happy to add it to the worldbuilding... but that's entirely optional.

Arcadia: Independent guilds and organisations are definitely a thing, especially since the Unseelie (being insular and competitive by nature) were displaced and moved to Reamsul. I'm generally happy to give players plenty of latitude when it comes to naming things and places, but because you asked:

Naming conventions for Reamsul's institutions

The Royal Academies are the foremost institutions of learning and research in the east, and arguably the entire realm. They're renowned enough that their names need little embellishment: The Royal Academy of War, the Royal Academy of Theology, the Royal Academy of Alchemy, and so on.

Universities and temples are the next step down. They're smaller and far more numerous, but some of them are still extremely prestigious. They're named after places (The University of Iveos), or famous historical figures (The Temple of Aelrindel's Mercy, the Caihana University of Architecture, etc.).

Guilds and Houses are much more business oriented, and are fully independent. They can be famous or obscure, professional or seedy, exclusive or welcoming... the only prerequisite is that they're solvent, really. The larger guilds tend to have generic, descriptive names (the Builders' Guild, the Guild of Barber-Surgeons), while smaller operators, and Unseelie ones in particular, are much more theatrical (The Stonemaster Guild, the House of Mirrored Razors).

Edit: And Nikla Carraway, played by Wolfling, has joined the roster!

Typing on my phone so I quoted the whole thing, sorry!!

I can work up the Goddess tonight, I'm not going to lie, I used the Goddess Dwayna from Guild Wars as inspiration for her.  ^.^  but I'm going to change a bit so she's totally one hundred percent original.  I'm glad you like what you see so far.  Usually I'm a person who gets a character sheet 100% done before even posting a wip, but I was tired last night. 

She should be finished by tomorrow evening (Thursday)

I are excited, all the characters so far are awesome.

Giantmutantcrab

Rebelle it is wonderful to have you here.

la dame en noir

I've been watching the thread closely because I didn't want to post unless I knew for sure that I could write out a character. Filling out character sheets is incredibly tough for me, but I'm pulling through.

Anyway, I was going to throw this concept out there and if its not allowed or taken - let me know.

A blacksmith Rogue.

She's human because I can't find anything that will make for a good dark-skinned elf without bordering on Dark-Elf or Drow.

SO yeah, also - a small snippet of the character is that she comes from a long line of blacksmiths and her family has made weapons for great warriors and the royal guard or military (whichever works).

Any input would be grand. I'm still slowly working on it, but I have to go to work now.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Giantmutantcrab

I see no issue with this.

You do you dear.

Kaiser

Is there still room available? This looks fantastic!

Giantmutantcrab

Chronoclasm

Sounds like a great concept, Lady in Black!

I'm probably not going to play Ungul again, having given it some thought. While delightful, I don't know that he'll be able to push the story forward. He was more reactive than active, which isn't always great for a sandbox roleplay.

Will give some thought to an alternate concept though. Because Ontan is an awesome GM. And because the Giant Crab and Wolfling were so much fun to write with last time too.
"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

Rebelle

Heyas!

I wrote up the goddess.  She is against the Cull, and I could almost see her as an opponent of Sol in the pantheon.

D'wasayna: a good aligned multi-faceted Goddess.  Priests, priestess, shamans, and healers pray to her to guide their hands in healing those under their care.  Hunters pray to her to guide their weapons to fell their opponents either they be man, beast, or demon.  Those who are wishing to conceive pray to D'wasayna, and those whom prepare for parenthood pray for strong children.  D'wasayna appears to her followers as a tall pale elf or human, slender in form with dark wings that are said to carry the very stars in the heavens.  She carries a shield in one hand, and a staff of burning light in the other as if to shelter her followers.  In dreams and omens, it is said she also appears as a great spirit wolf who can howl away the demons.

Ontan

La dame en noir: The character art alone is a fantastic start, and I can't wait to see where it goes! The only thing I'd mention is that we're starting to get a lot of stealth / rogue archetypes: three of four approved characters can use stealth or pick a lock, and there might be a couple more if certain PM'd character sheets pan out. Personally, I don't think it's a problem: it means stealthy characters can team up and actually interact with someone, rather than being forced to go lone wolf because nobody can sneak alongside them. That said, I know that some people (understandably) like to distinguish their characters with unique skills, so it's just something to keep in mind. Besides, this whole rant only applies to the rogue angle; nobody else is going for a blacksmith, and honestly, what professions wouldn't benefit from having a crossbow-bracer?

Kaiser: Yes, there's still room! Right now, I'm tentatively aiming for around 10 characters as a max. After that, I'll take on new players to replace those who drop out.

Chronoclasm (and everyone else, for that matter): If there's anything I can do to help you develop a character concept, just ask!

Rebelle: Perfect - I'll get D'wasayna added to the Worldbuilding thread. You'll be credited for her creation, of course  :-)

Giantmutantcrab

In the spirit of tomorrow being friday and week-end soon...

Here is something from my favorite yotube shit-poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7-etz0DOI

Rebelle

Thanks Ontan, I'm glad you liked it :)

I have also updated her history - it is now complete (Yay!)

Now time to get cracking with the rest of this stuff, which some is going to be easier...While other things are going to make me use my noodle.

Ontan

Two new characters join the adventure! Leancaphir ("Leanne"), played by Presta, and Saoirse Windchaser, played by Rebelle, have been added to the character roster. There's still plenty of space left for new characters, though!

Giantmutantcrab

Oh damn

Saoirse's a full-blown Witcher

We are good, people. We are set.

Rebelle

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Rebelle on April 20, 2018, 01:22:43 PM
Witcher?

.....I are confused?

The medallion your character has. It is the symbol of a Witcher. Like from the video game series.