A friendly Kitsune looking for Pathfinder

Started by OyabunKobold, April 29, 2018, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

Hey Liz! I have a question. Would you consider allowing a port of a weapon from 5e? The weapon I had in mind was the Elven Thinblade. It's basically a d8 rapier, but you need exotic weapon proficiency to use it. Would that be possible?
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

OyabunKobold

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Vergil Tanner

I don't think they do. They have Rapiers, but not Thin blades.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

OyabunKobold

They got thorn blades which grant +2 to crit confirms

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 06, 2018, 11:02:06 PM
Hey Liz! I have a question. Would you consider allowing a port of a weapon from 5e? The weapon I had in mind was the Elven Thinblade. It's basically a d8 rapier, but you need exotic weapon proficiency to use it. Would that be possible?

There's also the Elven Curve Blade.
My current O/os (need work)

Vergil Tanner

Yes, but the Thorn Blades aren't Finessable. Thinblades are.

And the Curve Blades are two handed. Thinblades are one handed. :P

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 06, 2018, 11:17:30 PM

True. But they're also finesseable. :)

Vergil Tanner

Yes, but the Viking Fighter is gonna be a sword and shield build. I need to work out if a couple non-paizo published things are acceptable, because if so the Dex Build is probably the best option to make that work. And you can't use a shield at the same time as a two handed weapon :P

The option I'm considering pitching to Codey is that to make a Shield Bash Fighter work, you need to have TWF. There's a Trait that lets you treat Heavy Shields as light weapons. If the Thinblade is acceptable, that's a d8 Finessable one handed weapon (though being Exotic, it would burn a feat to use it). If Deadly Agility (Path of War, 3rd party) is acceptable as well, that allows light and finessable weapons to add dex to damage instead of strength. I'm thinking this, because otherwise we have to split points between Dex AND strength, which hurts the build overall. Better to dump strength entirely, if at all possible.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 06, 2018, 11:17:30 PM

Thornblades are finessable, but their damage is d6 rather than d8. Thinblades actually first appeared in 3.5 (that I know of, they might have been in 2E as well). They were printed in Races of the Wild, along with the lightblade and courtblade. The thinblade was an exotic one handed melee weapon, a rapier that dealt 1d8 damage. It cost 100 gold pieces (silver pieces).

However, a shields armour check penalty applies to attack rolls when using Weapon Finesse.

Vergil Tanner

So a Thinblade would be acceptable?
Would Deadly Agility (Path of War feat: Any finessable weapon gets Dex to Damage instead of Str) be acceptable as well?

And yhup, I know! But Darkwood Shields exist. ;)

LisztesFerenc

Yeah, thinblade and Deadly Agility are both acceptable.

Vergil Tanner

Awesome, thanks! They might not be used - we might go a different route entirely - but it's good to know what the options are :-)

OyabunKobold

Interesting a viking with rapiers.

Im used to seeing vikings with axes so this will be fun to see.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 06, 2018, 11:36:49 PMThe option I'm considering pitching to Codey is that to make a Shield Bash Fighter work, you need to have TWF. There's a Trait that lets you treat Heavy Shields as light weapons. If the Thinblade is acceptable, that's a d8 Finessable one handed weapon (though being Exotic, it would burn a feat to use it). If Deadly Agility (Path of War, 3rd party) is acceptable as well, that allows light and finessable weapons to add dex to damage instead of strength. I'm thinking this, because otherwise we have to split points between Dex AND strength, which hurts the build overall. Better to dump strength entirely, if at all possible.

Unless she is trading away weapon familiarity, that trait will allow her to treat thinblades as a martial weapon since they have the word elven in their title. That will save a feat, which she needs even as a fighter since combining two weapon fighting and a shield will be costly. Two weapon fighting, weapon finesse, deadly agility and improved shield bash, I think that's all her feats already spent with this build.

Vergil Tanner

The other option is to go half elf and take the alternate trait "Ancestral Arms," but yeah, that's basically what I was thinking.

Vergil Tanner

Sorry guys, I know it's taking a while. 14 hour time differences are a bitch. >.>

OyabunKobold

its fine lol dont be sorry for wanting to help out your friend getting in a game. We are all adults here and I am willing to be patient for a full party.

Besides this gives Lisztes time to come up with fun inventive ways to make our lives harder :P

Chanticleer

No rush here, as OK said, it gives our DM time to think of more deviltry. :)

LisztesFerenc

Yeah, absolutly no rush. Its only been a day at this point. If they need something to keep them occupied, d`Athos and Sasska can always hammer out their characters starting relationship anyway.

Codexa

Hey guys!!

Thanks for the welcome and all the hellos!

I needed time to recharge after a extremely busy weekend.

^.^

OyabunKobold

sall good like i said in my OP I work 6:30 am to 4 pm 6 days a week MST IM not too worried about a bit of hiccup to get started

Vergil Tanner

Hey guys!

So, we hope to have at least most of the sheet done by the end of the weekend. If we fail to get that done, though, things might be...choppy.

One thing that I thought I'd suggest that if Codey's bio takes much longer, we could always whip up some threads and start playing, and just have Codey join at a slightly later time? It wouldn't take much to do, just say that she's been on an errand and is meeting up with Lucian at a later date. Just to keep interest in this alive :D

OyabunKobold

We got the time :3 Sasska and I haven't really talked yet about just how much our characters have talked or know about each other.

Chanticleer

Quote from: OyabunKyuubi on May 10, 2018, 09:35:17 AM
We got the time :3 Sasska and I haven't really talked yet about just how much our characters have talked or know about each other.

How long have they been on the ship? I am picturing Sasska during the early days of the voyage staggering around being seasick and mumbling unhappy things in Draconic under her breath. It's not a very common language, and since D'Artagnan knows it, and knows a bit about kobolds, that might lead to some conversation. If the voyage is very long, then Sasska would probably end up talking to Dart quite a bit, especially if he explains to her how he came to have a kobold brother.

Codexa

Chanticleer....

I seriously love your name. Reminds me of a movie I loved growing up. :P

Rock-a-Doodle.

Ahem.

Got the fluff written for my character, just the mechanics left.

Which is the hardest part for me. xD