When you want to play Apocalypse World, roll +Weird and pray . . .

Started by Cold Heritage, April 09, 2016, 02:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Only thing about shoving AW and Borderlands together is the whole corporate infrastructure thing. That'd have to go, obviously, among other changes to make it not-Borderlands, but that's the big one.

Trying out the AW playbooks workshop mod for Tabletop Simulator. I can't tell if it helps or makes me even slower dealing with the numbers. xD Fortunately that's not a problem in a forum setting where I can take my time. Other campaign I'm running is a once a week hours-long live chat situation and that's...there's lag time when I have to resolve things. x.x;;
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 15, 2016, 05:27:28 AM
Going to have to have a look at that.

I had the oddest little idea skid across my synapses while re-reading Rez's interaction with Los Buitres. The way she thought of her flock. Warbirds, Vultures...The Children of the Sun. Mama hen and her chicks, who'd happily rend her themselves if she showed weakness.

I was trying to figure what AW would look like if you just slammed it straight over into really weird fantasy, without the "stock trope" interpolation of Dungeon World, and pictured the Chopper as some kind of crow-avatar, surrounded by more of the same...Bikes traded for wings. The Driver ends up being a Rider, someone who can summon and control the most fantastic beasts. Just kicking it around my skull, punching up the surrealism...Postmodern punk meets the Sidhe and the Nevernever. The Hardholder is easy, but his castle is probably more dramatic, and the crawling peons who look to him for protection. The Brainer becomes that one freaky, terrible trickster-mage who can literally see into skulls, reach in, twist what's there...Tie little strings to your soul and puppet it.  The Angel might be a literal designation, and the Battlebabe...Well. That's the stuff heroes are made of, in that well over there. Drink deep, the Third Sword wandered off with a whole wineskin full of the stuff, and she might be coming back soon.

Probably the hardest one to translate is the Savvyhead, really.

See what happens when you don't sleep? It's wonderful freaky off the hook a bad idea.

AW is marvelously flexible.

EDIT: Last thought for the night: Apocalypse World meets Brom.

Lumpley did his own fantasy re-imagining of the Playbooks as part of the AW2e kickstarter. It was pretty neat.

Quote from: Shjade on April 15, 2016, 05:49:53 AM
Only thing about shoving AW and Borderlands together is the whole corporate infrastructure thing. That'd have to go, obviously, among other changes to make it not-Borderlands, but that's the big one.

Yeah. In the first game pre-DLC the corporate stuff is fairly light, iirc, and the Crimson Lance under Steele could be re-worked into a remnants sort of faction or omitted altogether and we'd basically be okay. And of course rip out the game mechanic amenities, I suppose. Although it might be funny if bullet dispensers were some of the tech that was still working more or less as intended.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 15, 2016, 12:08:52 PM
Lumpley did his own fantasy re-imagining of the Playbooks as part of the AW2e kickstarter. It was pretty neat.

Looks a bit more gritty than what I was envisioning...The characters are all human, for example. The Nightshade is probably closest to what I was envisioning.

I was...Oh, take Brom's more bizarre stuff and blend it with the kind of things Brian Froud pulled out of his skull for Henson's The Dark Crystal, and stir in an unhealthy helping of the darker ideas of the Fey. That's kind of where my head was. Maybe I'll write something down someday. Anyhow, this weekend I'll keep on eyeballing the Pandora stuff.

Did we lose Linna and Riveda? Hopefully not.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Shjade

Still a little crammed on work (busy weekend), but I'll get a proper organizing thread up on Monday at the latest. Current thinking: being on Pandora makes it no less grounds for an Apocalypse. 50ish years post-Handsome Jack I imagine things would be plenty broken down for our purposes.
◕/◕'s

Shjade

It's Monday. Here's that thread I mentioned I'd create.

Think I'll PM the folks who expressed interest earlier on the likely chance they aren't checking this thread as frequently as some of us have. ;p
◕/◕'s