News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Eeep, it was just an example of a French word I knew of.  And yes, that's where I first saw it too, but like the other words that were French that my ADHD brain can't seem to remember, I knew of them too.  In other words, I think I had an edge there...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Being multilingual definitely helps, considering that English beats up other languages in back alleys and rifles through their pockets for spare words.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

Quote from: Oniya on December 29, 2012, 06:59:34 PM
You know how some people get on Wikipedia and follow hyperlinks for hours?  I was doing that in grade school.  With real encyclopedias.  By the time dinner rolled around, I'd have half the set spread out on the family room floor.

I actually used to do this, but with Chinese dictionaries, back when I was in Chinese school and had to write essays and read passages/newspapers/news in Chinese for assignments. I'd have to look up a character, and then I would look up the radicals, and for all the characters I didn't know, I would look those up in a Chinese-to-English dictionary for a translation...

I love, love, love the study of the Chinese language.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Ganache

estimated 30,300. I did better than I expected. Yay!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

NotoriusBEN

34,400 words on the first go, 36,800 on the second go.

yea, fuck that 4th column, I called hax on most of those words... most probably havent seen use since 1805 or a Jules Verne book. >.>

Oniya

... What's wrong with reading Jules Verne books?  :-[
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ebpohmr

34,600 words, which isn't bad considering that I left out those words I could guess a meaning for. I think I might have to retake it though, just to look up those I didn't know and find ways to use some of them!

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on January 05, 2013, 10:37:51 AM
... What's wrong with reading Jules Verne books?  :-[

Nothing! *petpets*

Perhaps the beef should be with Jules Verne's original translators. Verne himself isn't likely to have used any of those words, seeing as he wrote in French. >_>
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

NotoriusBEN

no there's nothing wrong with jules verne, just mentioning that many of those words were probably very very old and fallen out of use.

InariShiftskin

Caitlin

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
26,600 words

Not bad for a non-native speaker, I fall right in the bracket range for native speakers. In fact, I'm only slightly behind in the curve for thirty year olds! ;D

Anteros Vox

Now if only my tablet knew as much I would make more sense.

Chris Brady

Nice Elric of Melnibone avatar xGhostx, sorry just had to say it.

And 30K words is not horrible.

Caitlin's 26K is superb for someone who speaks English as a second language!

Nothing shameful about it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I'm at 33,000, though I'm good at discerning root words and to me that counts for something, so that gauges more my ability to understand than how much vocabulary I really utilize."

Quote from: Caeli on December 30, 2012, 06:22:37 PM
I actually used to do this, but with Chinese dictionaries, back when I was in Chinese school and had to write essays and read passages/newspapers/news in Chinese for assignments. I'd have to look up a character, and then I would look up the radicals, and for all the characters I didn't know, I would look those up in a Chinese-to-English dictionary for a translation...

I love, love, love the study of the Chinese language.

"Of note, there is, by technicality, no such thing. No one speaks 'Chinese', it's not a language. If you study it, I presume you know that, so I only mention it because I find it a bit irritating (being half-Oriental) that people use that generalization. For the same reason I also hate being called half-Asian like India and Eastern Russia (among many other countries) don't exist. It's not about political correctness, it's about not being culturally ignorant, people who know should make a habit of helping people who don't know, to understand."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Love And Submission

I'm confused about something on this test. one of the words says "NIB".

SO can  I say yes even though the only definitions I know for the word NIB is The Black Sabbath song?

Geezer butler's opening is amazing.

Meh I only got Twenty Seven Thousand but I think I know more then that.
I mean how many people know where Gallifrey  is or who the  Goa'uld  are.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Oniya

*helps everyone out by one word*

Nib:  The part of a pen that the ink goes through, located between the barrel and the paper.  Calligraphy pens have different shaped nibs, allowing for the pen to draw thicker or thinner lines depending on how the pen is held and moved on the paper.

Kythia

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on January 13, 2013, 06:56:13 PM
"Of note, there is, by technicality, no such thing. No one speaks 'Chinese', it's not a language.

Actually, Chinese is a language.  Modern Standard Chinese works in the same way as, say Modern Standard Arabic - it's a standardised form used for goverment documents and the like - a lingua franca.

And, for reference, I got bored of the vocab test on the first page.  So no idea.  I assume its like a trillion words or something, but can't prove it.

TheGlyphstone

33,700 words.

And I also knew several words only from my RPG experiences - Caitiff and Regnant, primarily.

Raz

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on January 06, 2013, 04:05:43 AM
no there's nothing wrong with jules verne, just mentioning that many of those words were probably very very old and fallen out of use.
Hmmm. No most of the french words used in the test are still in use here where I am at, which is some french place in Canada.

Scored 21,400~

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Kythia on January 14, 2013, 08:30:15 AM
Actually, Chinese is a language.  Modern Standard Chinese works in the same way as, say Modern Standard Arabic - it's a standardised form used for goverment documents and the like - a lingua franca.

And, for reference, I got bored of the vocab test on the first page.  So no idea.  I assume its like a trillion words or something, but can't prove it.

"I still disagree with that on premise. If one is to say 'I speak Chinese' to just anyone, even someone aware that there isn't a single language used by all of China (regional dialects notwithstanding), I don't think it would be immediately clear they meant Mandarin, even if most people might default to that. I will concede to using the phrase 'No one speaks 'Chinese', it's not a language.', but I still disagree with the use of 'Chinese' to describe Mandarin or Cantonese."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Ignaddio

33,800. Not terrible, not what I thought it was. I'm good with it though.
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

mj2002

Seems my score of 18,200 on both tries is a little out of place here.

:(

Avis habilis

For someone who speaks it as a second language, it's masterful! By way of comparison, the average native English speaker tops out at 10,000.

Elliquiy just happens to be rife with bookworms, I think.

Lilias

We're a bunch of big readers and writers. It's only natural. Sticking around here is much more effective than remedial English. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oneiros

^^^^ very much this. This is a writing site, so it's full of people who love to learn and use new words in their craft. Also, people who have low scores are much less likely to brag about them ;)