Darkness Encroaching: Lewd Cthulhu (Silent Legions\OSR)[Seeking More]

Started by Jezabelle, July 13, 2018, 01:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jezabelle

Quote from: helvorn on July 16, 2018, 11:00:15 AM
Broken like a fine Ming vase thrown to the floor and trampled underfoot :)

Talk about short list of ways to get cursed...
'

I'm thinking the inciting incident that leads into the Intro Adventure will be something of a "powerful" hook, to explain combining the disparate group, but don't take that as a sign it'll all be heavy handed.  There'll be plenty of traveling through towns that seem normal but are just a wee bit... off, and clues slowly mount and mount, until the other shoes drops in the course of investigation.  After the Adventure is resolved, eXP will be dealt with, and the group will decide on their next course of action based on outstanding information\plot threads.  Things ignored will progress.

Really, I think it's gonna be a great format!  We're going to have 6 confirmed sheets Soon(tm) I feel, so don't be surprised to see OOC up by tmrw.

Arcanist

Hi everyone,
Creating a scholar at the moment who works at an occult store, Hopefully should have something up and running when I wake. Would anyone like a possible connection before the game starts?

Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

helvorn

Quote from: Jezabelle on July 16, 2018, 11:06:02 AM
Talk about short list of ways to get cursed...

I try my best  ;)

Quote from: Jezabelle on July 16, 2018, 11:06:02 AM
I'm thinking the inciting incident that leads into the Intro Adventure will be something of a "powerful" hook, to explain combining the disparate group, but don't take that as a sign it'll all be heavy handed.  There'll be plenty of traveling through towns that seem normal but are just a wee bit... off, and clues slowly mount and mount, until the other shoes drops in the course of investigation.  After the Adventure is resolved, eXP will be dealt with, and the group will decide on their next course of action based on outstanding information\plot threads.  Things ignored will progress.

Really, I think it's gonna be a great format!  We're going to have 6 confirmed sheets Soon(tm) I feel, so don't be surprised to see OOC up by tmrw.

That's a great surge of interest!

Since we don't have the OOC yet I thought I would throw a few things out.  I think on the connection note we have the below.  Please guys correct me if I'm wrong.

• Rachel and Clara who are room mates at UW and have be around each other's investigations.  Also Clara may be trying to corrupt the 'innocent' Catholic girl Rachel.

• Clara and Tobias know each other from Youtube discussions and possibly an invitation to the comic convention coming up.

• Erika is going to the comic convention which Clara, Rachel and Tobias are going to attend for one reason or another.

• Rachel knows Erika from an encounter in a club where Rachel called out some jerks for harassment.

• Arcanist's character could know Rachel from her efforts to procure odd books and such for her professor.

Melkart

SaintSicaire

Soooo.... I hope I didn't mess up anything.
This became an eerie mixture of Stephen King rip-off and self insert :D But here he is^^

Name: Patrick Callaghan
Sexuality (IC): Bisexual
Acceptable Encounters (OOC): Except for vore and scat, I'm game for anything^^
Physical Description: of average build and height, more often that not unkempt, the charisma and posture of an underpaid office clerk
Personal History:
Born in Providence, Rhode Island, where his father ran a small Second-Hand bookstore, his childhood and youth were quite unremarkable.

Fitting for someone who grew up between books he went off to study english and european literature. Although never the athletic type, he got into Judo during college and became if not proficient, but quite good at it.

His dream of becoming an author himself, or at least work for a great publishing company led to little more than some unpaid internships and some (poorly written) short stories, published in a student newspaper. In the end, he got a job as editor for the small and rather niche publisher "Marsh&Waite", which specializes in trashy SF. Erotica and Horror. Far from his dream job, he got used the flood of derivative mansucripts with no artistic and hardly an economic value. Aside from his more than unfullfilling job, he occasionally wrote articles for literary journals, which attracted little attention, not even among other scholars of literature. Either due to his bad luck or the fact "Alchemy and Mysticism in German Romantic Literature" is hardly a hot topic in modern literary science.

Anyway, Marsh&Waite did well enough to open a second office on the West Coast and offered Patrick the post as head editor there. Patrick, having just lost his dog to old age and his partner to another man, accepted, although with little enthusiasm.

Connection (name 1):  How you know another party member (former lover, childhood friend, co-worker, former teacher\student, etc).
Connection (name 2):  How you know another party member (former lover, childhood friend, co-worker, former teacher\student, etc).

Class: Scholar
HP: 1/1
AC: 9

Expertise: 2/2

Attributes
Str: 13 (+0)
Dex: 11 (+0)
Con: 9 (+0)
Int: 15 (+1)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 9 (+0)

Saving Throws
Physical Effect: 16
Mental Effect: 14
Evasion: 15
Magic: 12
Luck: 13

Madness: 0
Wealth: Average

Class Ability/ies: Deep Gnossis
Auto-succeed any non-Occult/Eldritch Knowledge test.

Skills:
Business/0, Culture(America)/0, Profession(Publisher)/0, History/0, Research/0, Science/0, Art(Literature)/0, Unarmed/0

Weapon(s):
Unarmed,
+Hit: 0, Dmg: 1d2+0, Slaughter: 0, Ammo: N/A

Gear:
Smartphone (readied)

Personal Effects:
Car (2000 Opel Astra)
Notebook
a copy of Joseph Conrads "Heart of Darkness"

Disciplines & Spells: -

Deliriums: -
"Nideriu minne heizet diu sô swachet
    daz der lîp nâch kranker liebe ringet"

~Walther von der Vogelweide, german minstrel (1220)

Request-Thread
Ons//Offs

Jezabelle

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Quote from: SaintSicaire on July 16, 2018, 06:17:29 PM
Soooo.... I hope I didn't mess up anything.
This became an eerie mixture of Stephen King rip-off and self insert :D But here he is^^

Sexuality (IC): Bisexual
Acceptable Encounters (OOC): Except for vore and scat, I'm game for anything^^
Physical Description: of average build and height, more often that not unkempt, the charisma and posture of an underpaid office clerk
Personal History:
Born in Providence, Rhode Island, where his father ran a small Second-Hand bookstore, his childhood and youth were quite unremarkable.

Fitting for someone who grew up between books he went off to study english and european literature. Although never the athletic type, he got into Judo during college and became if not proficient, but quite good at it.

His dream of becoming an author himself, or at least work for a great publishing company led to little more than some unpaid internships and some (poorly written) short stories, published in a student newspaper. In the end, he got a job as editor for the small and rather niche publisher "Marsh&Waite", which specializes in trashy SF. Erotica and Horror. Far from his dream job, he got used the flood of derivative mansucripts with no artistic and hardly an economic value. Aside from his more than unfullfilling job, he occasionally wrote articles for literary journals, which attracted little attention, not even among other scholars of literature. Either due to his bad luck or the fact "Alchemy and Mysticism in German Romantic Literature" is hardly a hot topic in modern literary science.

Anyway, Marsh&Waite did well enough to open a second office on the West Coast and offered Patrick the post as head editor there. Patrick, having just lost his dog to old age and his partner to another man, accepted, although with little enthusiasm.

Connection (name 1):  How you know another party member (former lover, childhood friend, co-worker, former teacher\student, etc).
Connection (name 2):  How you know another party member (former lover, childhood friend, co-worker, former teacher\student, etc).

Attributes
Str: 13 (+0)
Dex: 11 (+0)
Con: 9 (+0)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 9 (+0)

Saving Throws
Magic: 12

Madness: 0

Class Ability/ies: Deep Gnossis
Auto-succeed any non-Occult/Eldritch Knowledge test.

Skills:
Business/0, Culture(America)/0, Profession(Publisher)/0, History/0, Research/0, Science/0, Art(Literature)/0, Unarmed/0

Weapon(s):
Unarmed,
+Hit: 0, Dmg: 1d2+0, Slaughter: 0, Ammo: N/A

Gear:
Smartphone (readied)

Personal Effects:
Car (2000 Opel Astra)
Notebook
a copy of Joseph Conrads "Heart of Darkness"

Disciplines & Spells: -

Deliriums: -

Welcome aboard, approved!

helvorn

Quote from: SaintSicaire on July 16, 2018, 06:17:29 PM

Someone with fewer hit points than me!  We can die or get dragged off by the monsters together. :)

Jezabelle

Quote from: helvorn on July 16, 2018, 07:57:35 PM
Someone with fewer hit points than me!  We can die or get dragged off by the monsters together. :)

I can't wait!  I've got lots of lewd ideas for all the characters, but extraspecially yours ;)

helvorn

Quote from: Jezabelle on July 16, 2018, 09:28:26 PM
I can't wait!  I've got lots of lewd ideas for all the characters, but extraspecially yours ;)

Lewd ideas?  Ohhh!

I'll break another Ming vase, walk under a ladder and break a mirror to bring it on.  Where are those black cats?   :)

Arcanist

Name: Maximilian Smith or Max to friends and frequent buying customers, and Mr. Smith to all you people who just browse
Sexuality (IC): Heterosexual
Acceptable Encounters (OOC): Almost anything goes. No's included bathroom play, gore, vore and guro.

Physical Description: He could have been a jock in his college days but had more interest in his studies. Only interests he has is the occult, alternative religion, and meditation, moving or otherwise. Because of that, he is dexterous and flexible but has none of the strength or constitution of an active sportsman. He is, however, fit enough to move boxes of books around. Definitely not a sociable person, he rather spends time with his book and interests. People are a distraction unless they have an interesting puzzle to solve. God help me if they are idiots.

Personal History: Coming from a family of sportsmen, growing up was hard especially when they all played sports semi-professionally or professionally. His father was an American Football player, his mother a long distance runner. Both his brothers play baseball semi-professionally and his sister an Olympic gymnast. Well, they can all just suck it. He is a Historian and comfortable with his books damn it! Sure, he could not tell the difference between a Diamond or a Yard Line, but none of his family could tell the difference between Pictographs and Hieroglyphics. They may have their scholarships through sports but he got it through hard work. So what if they had cute girlfriends, he had Cleopatra and Leila Waddell in his bed. Sure one was ugly as and the other a fruit bat. But who cares?

His paper on the Fox Sisters and Spiritual Movement in the 19th Century was still recommended reading for first-year occultism students and he could have taught at the University. Well, he sometimes does, a few units here and there, it was not his fault that there was a lack of funding or a lower than expected interest in occultism. Kids today. So what better way to buy the books you want to study, keep them if they are any good and sell them if they aren't or not really what one was looking for by opening a bookstore. It was going to be a fine place to meet like-minded scholars interested in History and the Occult. But what did he have the first day he opened? "Do you have Eye of Newt? My boyfriend's eyes are roaming, do you have something that can cure him? I want a love potion cause I like the girl in class. How can I get Brad Pitt to marry me?

Yes, dear. Everything happens for a reason but sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisons. Idiots!!! Idiots all!!!! Take control of your life!!! Fools!!! *sighs* What I can charge $50 for my pee?

The next day, the sign outside the door of Occult Bookstore changes - Key of Solomon - Esoteric Bookshop and Purveyor of Potions, Herbs and Spells

Excerpt from Customer Journal
Connection (Clara St James): Customer - Good Customer makes me money with impulse buys, always buys stuff like Cross of St Michael, Good Luck Charms, Cult Rituals, Eye of Newt and Potion of Ghost-Seeing (wonder if she really knows what ingredients are in potion)

Connection (Rachel O'Rourke): Customer - Always asking questions about this book and that book. Questions, questions, questions....always questions. At least she buys some of the books, unlike some of my other customers. Now if she were to make some special orders.

HP: 3/3

AC: 8

Attributes
Str: 9 (+0)
Dex: 15 (+1)
Con: 8 (+0)
Wis: 14 (+1) (Prime Req)
Cha: 5 (-1)

Saving Throws
Magic: 14

Madness:

Class Ability/ies: Deep Gnossis:  Auto-succeed any non-Occult/Eldritch Knowledge test. (Cost 1 Expertise to Trigger)
                         Scholar:  Art, Computer, Culture, Engineering, History, Language, Law, Medicine, Occult,   
                         Profession, Research, and Science (CAN spend 1 Expertise to re-roll these after             
                         failing a check with them.

Skills:
Culture (America)/0, Language/0, Occult/1, Religion/0, Research/0, History/0, Combat (Projectile)/0

Languages: English, Arabic and Egyptian

Weapon(s): Shotgun, Pump
Name: Big Stick behind Counter
+Hit:, Dmg 3d4:, Slaughter 1d10:, Ammo: 6:
+Hit:, Dmg 2d4:, Slaughter 1d8:, Ammo: 6: (Rock Salt Ammo)

Gear: (below is format for how to indicate something is readied vs. stowed)
item name (readied)
Shotgun
Laptop
item name (stowed)

Personal Effects:
Ammo
Chalk
Holy Water
Smart Phone
Candles
Various Religion Symbols
Rock Salt
Key of Solomon and a few choice occult books (Mostly kept in the shop behind a locked counter)

Occult Book Store - Solomon's Key

Disciplines & Spells:

Deliriums:

Vonandi

Name: Heather Rook
Sexuality (IC): Hetero
Acceptable Encounters (OOC):
Ok with everything on the anticipated list except hypno. FxM strongly preferred.

Physical Description:Tall and sinewy, carries herself in a way that is very slow and deliberate. Seems to always smell of smoke.

Personal History:The history of Heather Rook seems to have as many variations as times she has recounted it. Sometimes she's an orphan, a former flower shop owner, the hated daughter of some famous some famous socialite. But no matter the story the basics remain the same, she was at some point the head of a well known and very powerful street gang, and at some point she lost that privilege. Her gang turned to the occult, and now she seeks to do the same to regain her status, but what she will do with such power remains to be seen. (More to be added.)

Background:2, 6

Class:Tough
HP: 7/7
Attributes
Str: 14(1) PR
Dex: 13(0)
Con: 12(0)
Int: 12(0)
Wis: 13(0)
Cha: 9 (0)

Saving Throws
Physical Effect:12
Mental Effect:16
Evasion:14
Magic:15
Luck:13

Madness:
Wealth:Struggling +1 skill

Class Ability/ies:Ravenous for Life:  Illicit a friendly/intimidated reaction from a human unless the circumstance is totally implausible; the supernaturally augmented may get a Mental Save, but normal humans will not.

Skills:Gangster
Athletics, Combat(Primitive), Gambling, Leadership, Profession,
Stealth, Survival, Tactics, and Vehicle(land) Culture(Criminal), Persuade, Culture(home), Combat(Projectile)

Weapon(s):
Spring assisted stiletto,
1d4, Slau: 1d6, Str/Dex, 6/9m (if thrown)

Sawn-off Shotgun,
3d4, Slau: 1d10, Dex, 10/30m, [2]

Gear:
Sawn-off(stowed)
Stiletto(readied)
20 Shotgun rounds (stowed)
Holster, jacket(stowed)

Personal Effects:
A Cheap lighter
A Worn patch depicting a black squid
A Jacket (worn)
Half a bottle of Steel Reserve
An open Bag of gummi worms

Disciplines & Spells:

Deliriums:

Jezabelle

Quote from: Vonandi on July 17, 2018, 08:59:13 PM
Name: Heather Rook
Sexuality (IC): Hetero
Acceptable Encounters (OOC):
Ok with everything on the anticipated list except hypno. FxM strongly preferred.

Physical Description:Tall and sinewy, carries herself in a way that is very slow and deliberate. Seems to always smell of smoke.

Personal History:The history of Heather Rook seems to have as many variations as times she has recounted it. Sometimes she's an orphan, a former flower shop owner, the hated daughter of some famous some famous socialite. But no matter the story the basics remain the same, she was at some point the head of a well known and very powerful street gang, and at some point she lost that privilege. Her gang turned to the occult, and now she seeks to do the same to regain her status, but what she will do with such power remains to be seen. (More to be added.)

Background:2, 6

Class:Tough
HP: 7/7
Attributes
Str: 14(1) PR
Dex: 13(0)
Con: 12(0)
Int: 12(0)
Wis: 13(0)
Cha: 9 (0)

Saving Throws
Physical Effect:12
Mental Effect:16
Evasion:14
Magic:15
Luck:13

Madness:
Wealth:Struggling +1 skill

Class Ability/ies:Ravenous for Life:  Illicit a friendly/intimidated reaction from a human unless the circumstance is totally implausible; the supernaturally augmented may get a Mental Save, but normal humans will not.

Skills:Gangster
Athletics, Combat(Primitive), Gambling, Leadership, Profession,
Stealth, Survival, Tactics, and Vehicle(land) Culture(Criminal), Persuade, Culture(home), Combat(Projectile)

Weapon(s):
Spring assisted stiletto,
1d4, Slau: 1d6, Str/Dex, 6/9m (if thrown)

Sawn-off Shotgun,
3d4, Slau: 1d10, Dex, 10/30m, [2]

Gear:
Sawn-off(stowed)
Stiletto(readied)
20 Shotgun rounds (stowed)
Holster, jacket(stowed)

Personal Effects:
A Cheap lighter
A Worn patch depicting a black squid
A Jacket (worn)
Half a bottle of Steel Reserve
An open Bag of gummi worms

Disciplines & Spells:

Deliriums:

Looks good, approved!

There's two mistakes but it's actually my fault, I fucked up Class Abilities and left Socialite's on Tough.  Yours is actually:

"Ravenous for Life:  When you hit 0 HP you automatically spend 1 Expertise point to stabilize."

It looks like you have all the Tough Class skills, but you should have just the Bonus Skills + whichever you picked for your two choices given there, so:
Athletics, Combat, Any One Class Skill, Any One Skill

I know you have 9 skill points total with going down to Struggling but I think I saw you over that by a l'il, and assumed that's what happened.  Nbd tho.

Feel free to post it with addendum in the Characters thread.

helvorn

Arcanist

helvorn

Jezabelle

Hey everyone, it has been a few months since we go going and while the game is in full swing the normal E-ttrition has taken its toll.  As such I'd like to go in for a second round of recruitment.  There's no limit on player numbers, and there will be ample opportunities to weave you into the narrative.  Feel free to contact me with any questions!

VonDoom

Very interested, but it might take me a bit to read up on everything. Is the character roster up to date with who dropped and who's still active?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Jezabelle

Quote from: VonDoom on September 13, 2018, 02:57:51 AM
Very interested, but it might take me a bit to read up on everything. Is the character roster up to date with who dropped and who's still active?

No, in part because I don't want to engage in the finality of removing someone from "active" when they're still a "maybe."  That being said, some have definitively dropped and only my laziness has prevented this from being accurately represented.

The last three posters in IC are the remaining cast for all intents and purposes at the time being.

Ampere

I like this idea - and some of the inspirational images are particularly appealing.

Please add me to the list of potential victims.

Leaning towards the Investigator or Scholar as classes - though perhaps I should see how I roll before risking a decision.
Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.

O&O's

VonDoom

Thank you for the quick response! So looking at things, we have a Socialite, a Scholar and an Investigator -- I am familiar with 3.5 D&D and Pathfinder, but I don't have the first clue about OSR or Silent Legions, though I did have a quick look at a rather in-depths review that also lists what classes are available and whatnot.

Looking at that, the natural choice would be to go for a 'Tough' character, but my first inclination is more towards a Scholar/Socialite hybrid. The review mentioned that multiclassing is a thing in Silent Legions, so … would that work? A stronger rooting in scholar with some socialite tendencies?

I'll have to read over everything to see how to shape things up and what might work and what wouldn't, but my initial thought is a female character, a huge huge mystery/occult nerd who'd give Dipper Pines a run for the biggest proverbial hard-on for weirdness. Just gotta balance that with a social life, academics and whatnot and that might make for a basic idea to build a person around. Ought to find an image first before I set down anything more concrete, since I'm very choosey about these once I have a firm mental image. Easier to be inspired by the picture for me than the other way around.

O&O

Jezabelle

Quote from: Ampere on September 13, 2018, 03:42:48 AM
I like this idea - and some of the inspirational images are particularly appealing.

Please add me to the list of potential victims.

Leaning towards the Investigator or Scholar as classes - though perhaps I should see how I roll before risking a decision.

Either would work quite well!  Welcome aboard.

Quote from: VonDoom on September 13, 2018, 03:54:59 AM
Thank you for the quick response! So looking at things, we have a Socialite, a Scholar and an Investigator -- I am familiar with 3.5 D&D and Pathfinder, but I don't have the first clue about OSR or Silent Legions, though I did have a quick look at a rather in-depths review that also lists what classes are available and whatnot.

Looking at that, the natural choice would be to go for a 'Tough' character, but my first inclination is more towards a Scholar/Socialite hybrid. The review mentioned that multiclassing is a thing in Silent Legions, so … would that work? A stronger rooting in scholar with some socialite tendencies?

I'll have to read over everything to see how to shape things up and what might work and what wouldn't, but my initial thought is a female character, a huge huge mystery/occult nerd who'd give Dipper Pines a run for the biggest proverbial hard-on for weirdness. Just gotta balance that with a social life, academics and whatnot and that might make for a basic idea to build a person around. Ought to find an image first before I set down anything more concrete, since I'm very choosey about these once I have a firm mental image. Easier to be inspired by the picture for me than the other way around.

It's essentially ju(st)ructured to allow you to very easily take levels in other classes, but you'd still need to pick one to start as.

The combat will be reminiscent of D&D, but fighting will generally not be an ideal situation.  Surrender or flight are the most likely options, especially against anything non-mundane.  Of course, a Tough could take a bit more of a bruising.  Aside from that there are skill checks, but they use 2d6+Skill+Stat Mod rather than d20+same.

VonDoom

Aye, so that would basically leave me with Scholar and with the option to pick up a level or two of Socialite later -- which means I'd have to get a good to decent stat arrangement on INT, WIS and CHA for her to not be terrible at what she does. ;D

Of course, that's just fancy talk for the moment, since I don't have the book and … well, probably won't invest 20 bucks into it starting out. I'll see about finding a picture, reading up on things and figuring out a backstory once I'm off work.

O&O