Nasty new web site trick

Started by Oniya, February 28, 2011, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

So, Mr Oniya was surfing some adult sites today, and tried navigating away from one in particular after he was finished with it.  Note, I said tried.  I'm sure that you've all seen the sneaky pop-ups that say 'Are you sure you don't want to stay?  Click "OK" to stay on this page, or "Cancel" to navigate away.'  This one had the same text, but the window extended to the point where it went below the bottom of the monitor, even on the highest resolution.  After switching the monitor's display to 'Portrait' (essentially flipping it on its side), I found that not only was the window excessively long, but there were no buttons!

The only way to get out of it was to kill the Firefox process (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and restart the computer - twice.  The first time, Firefox respawned the tabs (like normal) and the second time, it apologized for not being able to respawn one of the tabs.

Thought people should know.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

Oniya

Any regular attempt to close the web page or the pop-up gave a 'ding' and the pop-up flashed (the way it flashes to say 'You need to do something here first.')
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

jouzinka

Did you report it to FF support? They would likely block it as an attacking site...

Thanks for the warning though. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Avis habilis

Hmm. So no chrome, alarm bell when you try to do anything - sounds like some kind of JavaScript alert window. Now how they managed to blow it up to that size, that's an interesting question.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up.

Oniya

I'd imagine that a window that size could be easily made by padding with
 tags (didn't think to look at the source - should have!) and something to prevent a scrollbar

It looked like your basic infinite loop:  [buttonpress] = False.  If [buttonpress] = True, then [react], else [beep]; with no way of altering [buttonpress].  Antivirus didn't light up or anything.

Avis habilis

You're probably right about the loop. If "OK keep looking at pr0n" button clicked, go back to pr0n. If "go away" button clicked, flash the same window again & again until pr0n is clicked.

Oniya

Except neither button is provided to click - so it ends up being broken.

Haibane

Actually it sounds like some eejit screwed up the code.

MasterMischief

There have been a few times I have to go into Task Manager.

Oops.  I just admited to surfing pr0n, didn't I?

>.>

HairyHeretic

Task manager would let you kill the whole browser, but not that one tab though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Right.  Apparently individual tab processes are yet to be implemented in Firefox.

Avis habilis

So can you kill one Chrome tab at a time? I thought I remembered reading that they were each their own process.

Oniya

I don't have any experience with Chrome.  After this happened, I went looking to see if there was a way to kill a single Firefox tab that I just hadn't known about, and found a Mozilla forum posting that hinted that they were thinking of implementing it in a later version.  Whether that's going to be in 4.0 or something further down the pipeline wasn't mentioned.

Lilias

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 02, 2011, 07:37:56 AM
So can you kill one Chrome tab at a time? I thought I remembered reading that they were each their own process.

A quick experiment says no *sadface*
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI