Mass Effect: Ascension (Interest Check)

Started by Antipaladin of Calista, February 02, 2014, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antipaladin of Calista

I'd like to see if there would be any interest in doing a Mass effect RP using this savage worlds conversion: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dmlxvy9nPkS2tGNTdwTmsxbkE/edit

I'd be willing to GM if someone else doesn't want to, though just in case there is a benevolent GM in between games, I prefer to be a player.

As for a story idea, right now I'm set on having it take place some time after Mass Effect 3. "Oh no, what about the endings?" Dont worry, the decision line will very simply be that the universes Commander Shepard took all the default options. That way all the major characters are about where you'd expect them to be and as for the ending, well...

Rather than try to come up with a reasoning for how "cyber trees" work, we'll just assume that the red "Destroy" ending is the default since it is the one that is the least complicated and also results in Shepard living. (For those wondering I picked synthesis)

The story we would play would be about a crew on a small insurgency ship a la the Normandy who work for the Citadel Council under the Citadel Fleet and take on small missions that are not large enough missions to send a larger patrol on. Think galactic traffic cops. Though dont worry if that sounds slightly underwhelming. The plot will find our heros in quite the adventure.

So any takers? Preferably those who are active and could post at minimum once every other day, but preferably a few times a night.  Any questions comments or concerns feel free to ask/comment :)

Batman4560

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: Batman4560 on February 03, 2014, 12:44:17 AM
I am showing interest.

Thanks for showing interest. I'm looking for about three or four players to GM for. That number is mostly because that's an easy size to handle when they go on ground missions and after all, three was the party number in the games. I might be willing to ad a few spots depending on if someone wanted to play a medic on the ship or one of the pilots.

Wargtass

O/O

Carny

I'd be interested in this, maybe even in GMing, but I'd prefer playing. Maybe some kind of rotating GM idea might work?
Nothing to see here.
Move along.

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: Carny on February 10, 2014, 12:11:38 AM
I'd be interested in this, maybe even in GMing, but I'd prefer playing. Maybe some kind of rotating GM idea might work?

I'd be open to rotating the GM. What would you have in mind?

Carny

Very basically, two possibilities...

1) Given the normal relatively slow movement of PbP games, we run two different teams, and while everybody else has a character on each team, we as GMs only have one character, on the team we aren't running.

2) Second, the first GM runs a scenario to a finish, then the other guy takes over, to run a scenario of his own.

As far as the action is concerned, its still a big bad universe out there. The Reapers are no longer a threat, but a lot of worlds have been ravaged, and are in the process of rebuilding. Some Krogan have headed home to take part in the rebirth of their race, but not all of them are quite ready to give up the life of free wandering to take up the responsibilities of clan and race on Tuchanka.

The remaining Reapers are helping where they can in rebuilding, but that's not exactly their forte, so while they can offer lots of technological insight, the industry to build the things they offer has to be rebuilt before they can be of much practical help.

Given that nobody wants to see the Reapers as galactic policemen, just in case their new friendly/nice Reaper facade is fleeting, most militaries are deployed to watch the Reapers, assist in rebuilding, and guard core systems. The damage to the Mass Effect Relay network is fairly crippling to commerce, and to the Alliance as a whole, though of course the Reapers are helping as much as they can to get the network repaired as a priority.

The Citadel is still in the Sol System, though its been towed into a stable Lagrange Orbit. There is an ongoing debate about what to do with it. The thing was built as a deathtrap, millions of people died on it during the Reaper war, and many of its key systems seem to be inoperable, since the undefined but cataclysmic events that ended the war.

Chaos is everywhere, from the streets of Earth's ruined cities to the far corners of the the galaxy. Cerberus isn't dead yet, though its head has been cut off, and key assets are still out there somewhere. Pirates and local warlords are popping up anywhere that's not under the guns of a major task force.

There are rumors of rogue Reapers, who somehow missed or ignored the order to stand down, hiding in the depths between the stars, using their indoctrinated agents to further their aims, whatever those are.

Against this backdrop, the remaining special operatives that fought against the Reapers, under the command of Garrus Vakarian, are being tasked with the mission to go out into the universe, and do their best to keep the peace until order can be re-established.
Nothing to see here.
Move along.

Antipaladin of Calista

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Quote from: Carny on February 10, 2014, 07:36:16 PM
Very basically, two possibilities...

1) Given the normal relatively slow movement of PbP games, we run two different teams, and while everybody else has a character on each team, we as GMs only have one character, on the team we aren't running.

2) Second, the first GM runs a scenario to a finish, then the other guy takes over, to run a scenario of his own.

As far as the action is concerned, its still a big bad universe out there. The Reapers are no longer a threat, but a lot of worlds have been ravaged, and are in the process of rebuilding. Some Krogan have headed home to take part in the rebirth of their race, but not all of them are quite ready to give up the life of free wandering to take up the responsibilities of clan and race on Tuchanka.

The remaining Reapers are helping where they can in rebuilding, but that's not exactly their forte, so while they can offer lots of technological insight, the industry to build the things they offer has to be rebuilt before they can be of much practical help.

Given that nobody wants to see the Reapers as galactic policemen, just in case their new friendly/nice Reaper facade is fleeting, most militaries are deployed to watch the Reapers, assist in rebuilding, and guard core systems. The damage to the Mass Effect Relay network is fairly crippling to commerce, and to the Alliance as a whole, though of course the Reapers are helping as much as they can to get the network repaired as a priority.

The Citadel is still in the Sol System, though its been towed into a stable Lagrange Orbit. There is an ongoing debate about what to do with it. The thing was built as a deathtrap, millions of people died on it during the Reaper war, and many of its key systems seem to be inoperable, since the undefined but cataclysmic events that ended the war.

Chaos is everywhere, from the streets of Earth's ruined cities to the far corners of the the galaxy. Cerberus isn't dead yet, though its head has been cut off, and key assets are still out there somewhere. Pirates and local warlords are popping up anywhere that's not under the guns of a major task force.

There are rumors of rogue Reapers, who somehow missed or ignored the order to stand down, hiding in the depths between the stars, using their indoctrinated agents to further their aims, whatever those are.

Against this backdrop, the remaining special operatives that fought against the Reapers, under the command of Garrus Vakarian, are being tasked with the mission to go out into the universe, and do their best to keep the peace until order can be re-established.
[/quote]
Quote from: Antipaladin of Calista on February 02, 2014, 07:37:21 PM

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I'd like to see if there would be any interest in doing a Mass effect RP using this savage worlds conversion: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dmlxvy9nPkS2tGNTdwTmsxbkE/edit

I'd be willing to GM if someone else doesn't want to, though just in case there is a benevolent GM in between games, I prefer to be a player.

As for a story idea, right now I'm set on having it take place some time after Mass Effect 3. "Oh no, what about the endings?" Dont worry, the decision line will very simply be that the universes Commander Shepard took all the default options. That way all the major characters are about where you'd expect them to be and as for the ending, well...

Rather than try to come up with a reasoning for how "cyber trees" work, we'll just assume that the red "Destroy" ending is the default since it is the one that is the least complicated and also results in Shepard living. (For those wondering I picked synthesis)

The story we would play would be about a crew on a small insurgency ship a la the Normandy who work for the Citadel Council under the Citadel Fleet and take on small missions that are not large enough missions to send a larger patrol on. Think galactic traffic cops. Though dont worry if that sounds slightly underwhelming. The plot will find our heros in quite the adventure.

So any takers? Preferably those who are active and could post at minimum once every other day, but preferably a few times a night.  Any questions comments or concerns feel free to ask/comment :)
[/spoiler]

First thing I'd like to say is that I said in the beginning that we would be going with the "Destroy" option since its the most generic. So the reapers wont be part of the equation. I was also thinking that we could have this taking place 1,000 years or so into the future so that no characters from the games would cross over and as GMs we would have more room for creativity.

Its interesting that you bring up Cerberus and the Citadel, I was thinking one of the major antagonists of the rp could be a Neo-Cerberus group, probably under a different name, who were basically doing what old Cerberus did, but with a new kick, they are collecting parts from across the galaxy  to build their own version of a reaper to take control of the galaxy. Though as a front they could be a political group who pulls for more human control.

Apart from Cerberus I was debating which decision was more generic, cure the genophage or let it continue. If cure was more common then I was thinking that led by an overzealous new chieftain they could be taking over planets just as scientists had feared when they created the genophage.

As for the Citadel, I though it would only be fitting if since its a new time in the galaxy that they were building a new Citadel, though it would be a massive undertaking. They would still be using the old one, which would be in a state of disrepair, but just over the horizon they would be able to see the gleaming new one. Kind of like a nod to the future when the rest of the galaxy is like the destroyed citadel.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for GMing, I'd rather go with the second idea. Kind of have a show type set up where we take turns with "Episodes" and we can still run a character when we GM. Additionally this would add room for if one of us had an arc in mind where we could do several Episodes in a row that linked together.

Carny

Fair enough, though given how quickly things advanced in the first century or so after humanity hit the spaceways, after a thousand, there wouldn't be much recognizable as Mass Effect as we see it in the video games. As far as the Reapers, I think having a few survivors out there, maybe ones smart enough to have secured themselves from the destroy signal of their long-dead creators, would be pretty cool.

I think it does come down though to this. If you have very defined ideas of how you want this to go, then very likely you should be the one to run it.
Nothing to see here.
Move along.

Regrixx

Just saw this and thought I'd add my two cents, I'd love to check this out though I'm not familiar with Savage Worlds but been playing RPGs for a third of a century and I'm a quick study. If you're looking for players, let me know.