Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (Potterverse) - Recruiting (FOR MALES & FEMALES!)

Started by persephone325, January 05, 2014, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Now that I don't have to read through the canon of two different games to enjoy just one, I'm even more interested.  :)

I would like to see what sort of characters are being created before I throw Ettiene Bonhomme into the cauldron, please.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

persephone325

Quote from: Aiden on January 07, 2014, 02:45:26 PM
I have spoken with persephone325 about her wishes to work together with HaF and what Dancing Flower mentioned is correct. We have established in our "game's canon" that the curriculum of other schools have not shifted as they did at Hogwarts (to adhere to E's age policies). It is the main reason we do not accept transfers as it creates a mess.

With that said, Persephone is free to do as she wises since we won't be able to work together. I am a bit of a control freak over on HaF and as much as it makes sense, can not see these games interacting smoothly.

I am still playing with the idea of joining this game with a male wizard.

It's a shame we can't do anything with our schools, but I understand. ^^ So no hard feelings! :-) I'd love to see what you come up with!!

I've received two characters so far, though I don't know if I'll be able to post them up today. I haven't been feeling too great since last night. But please feel free to chatter here, and I'll do my best to answer any questions as of this moment. (If you've asked a question and I've missed it, go ahead and re post it if you wish.)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Florence

Quote from: persephone325 on January 07, 2014, 03:05:40 PM
It's a shame we can't do anything with our schools, but I understand. ^^ So no hard feelings! :-) I'd love to see what you come up with!!

I've received two characters so far, though I don't know if I'll be able to post them up today. I haven't been feeling too great since last night. But please feel free to chatter here, and I'll do my best to answer any questions as of this moment. (If you've asked a question and I've missed it, go ahead and re post it if you wish.)

Well, there was the matter of what we're saying as to prior schooling history. If they've had schooling before this school, or what have you. Then there's the question of pictures: are they required and do they have to be either real or drawn, or whichever the player prefers?

Also, its a shame the rps can't work together, but I think that's fine. Just means this rp has more freedom to work with!

Also, I hope you feel better D:

I'm almost done with Sylvianne's sheet, myself, so expect it soon, at least once I know what to do with the stuff I mentioned above.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Niferbelle

I am working on a male wizard. One question though...what year would a student be in if they were around 17?

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 07, 2014, 04:33:52 PM
Well, there was the matter of what we're saying as to prior schooling history. If they've had schooling before this school, or what have you. Then there's the question of pictures: are they required and do they have to be either real or drawn, or whichever the player prefers?

Also, its a shame the rps can't work together, but I think that's fine. Just means this rp has more freedom to work with!

Also, I hope you feel better D:

I'm almost done with Sylvianne's sheet, myself, so expect it soon, at least once I know what to do with the stuff I mentioned above.

Thanks. ^^

Prior schooling can be mentioned if the player so chooses. I thought about maybe opening up a "training school" RP, much like how Hogwarts has the Junior Wizarding Academy for younger witches and wizards. However, I feel like doing so would be like trying to copy that game too much.

As for pictures, I would strongly prefer real pictures as opposed to drawings. However, if the drawing looks realistic enough I might accept it.

Quote from: Niferbelle on January 07, 2014, 04:45:30 PM
I am working on a male wizard. One question though...what year would a student be in if they were around 17?

Second year, Ms. Niferbelle. :-) I'm going to work on a post that will deal with birth dates/ages, and how they correspond to what year a student is in the school.

Also, for first year characters: PLEASE DO NOT fill in the "Beauxbatons Mansion" part of the sheet. First years haven't been sorted yet. You can, if you wish, specify a preference to where you would like to be sorted. I can't guarantee that you'll get the mansion you want, though.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

PhantomPistoleer

Character's Name: Ettiene Bonhomme
Nickname: Etty, Steven
Character's Age & Birth date: 18 (Nov. 18)
Birthplace: Montpellier, France
Current Residence: Montpellier, France
Blood Status:  Sang Real (Pure Blood)
Wand: 9" Willow, Dragon
Beauxbatons Mansion:  Bellefeuille
Pet:  Hermit Crab
Special Possessions:  Mother's Indispensable Phylactery of Oxygenated Air

Appearance
Hair:  Black
Eyes:  Brown
Weight:  170 lbs.
Physical Description:   He is a handsome young man with short black hair and a cool five o'clock (oh, excuse me, seventeen o'clock) shadow.  His nose hair and uni-brow?  Trimmed!  His nails?  Clipped.  His shirts?  Starched and ironed.  His shoes?  Buffed and polished.  He dresses nice, is nice and wants to make nice.  And the crazy thing is, he's not even from Nice!  (I couldn't resist)
Other Notable  Features: None

In Depth

Personality:  Ettiene Bonhomme is industrious and clever, and sometimes he is a bit too much of both.  He is forthright to the point of being rude, but people are seldom insulted.  He has a manner of being that is disarming and charming.  He is friendly, helpful and loyal.  He is a good person, with good, antiquated morals.  Ettiene is at home in refinement and leisure, but is not put off by hard work or unrefined things.  In a sense, he is very British about hardship, very Spanish about waiting and very French about everything else.

History:  Ettiene doesn't have much of a history, per se.  He was born without complications.  He was raised in a French chateau in a provincial village outside of Montpellier.  He was a boring baby, as all babies regularly are, and was doted upon by his mother, Belleza, who, as her name denotes, was a beauty (from Spain).

His powers manifested shortly before the Second Return of Voldermort.  Ettiene's father, Ettiene the III, who had fought against Voldermort's continental forces in the First Coming, wanted no part of the Dark Lord and contemplated moving his family to the American continent.  Belleza, whose grandfather and father both perished at the hands of Gellert Grindelwald, was resolved to stay, and her fierce nature won out.  "We cannot deny our children their rights to Home and Magic because evil men might snatch it in an instant.  We must be strong," she said.

Ettiene the younger was enrolled in his primary school, and this didn't go as badly as everyone presumed that it would.  This agonizing boredom was seldom punctuated by anything interesting, except when a small cadre of Voldermort's allies attempted to kidnap young Ettiene when he was 8.  This  was however resolved very amicably when Belleza found her son, captured his assailants and brought a building down upon the wanted criminal, Droolam Shade.

Ettiene is entering his third year at the school, and his second as Beater for his Mansion's Quidditch team.

[Tentative, depending on other characters]

Family:  Ettiene Bonhomme the IV hails from a very ancient Saxon wizarding family, which split sometime during Norman's Conquest of England.  The family was predicated by the matrimony of Guntram the Good and Vishtaspa of Persia, a Sorceress from beyond the Straits of Hercules, in the 8th century.  Since, the family has created many famous offshoots all across the world -- the Goodmans and Gutmans of America and Canada, the Guttmanns of Germany and the Ukraine, and the Guzmans of Argentina and Uruguay.  In the late 1960s, a branch of the family that had inhabited Indochina for two centuries was obliterated by Lord Voldermort.

At present, Ettiene is the scion of this generation of the French family.  His father, Ettiene the III, is a distinguished arbiter in the European Courts of Magic, and his mother, Belleza Bonhomme, is retired from public service.  He has seven younger siblings, and many cousins.

Dislikes: Humidity, Drafty Corridors, Old Houses, Occlumency
Fears:  Ettiene does not have irrational fears, only legitimate ones.  And they are too many to list.  He is actually mortified of his mother when she's angry, and that's a very, very legitimate fear to have.
Favorite Animal(s):  Not particular.  Verges on indifferent.
Favorite Color(s):  Not particular.  Verges on indifferent.

Phantom Pistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Niferbelle

Quote from: persephone325 on January 07, 2014, 04:55:14 PM
Second year, Ms. Niferbelle. :-) I'm going to work on a post that will deal with birth dates/ages, and how they correspond to what year a student is in the school.

Also, for first year characters: PLEASE DO NOT fill in the "Beauxbatons Mansion" part of the sheet. First years haven't been sorted yet. You can, if you wish, specify a preference to where you would like to be sorted. I can't guarantee that you'll get the mansion you want, though.

Awesome, thank you!

mai

PhantomPistoleer did you mean psion or scion? I feel like from the context you mean scion, but I don't know HP canon that well, is psionics involved somehow that I'd never heard of?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: mai on January 07, 2014, 05:52:18 PM
PhantomPistoleer did you mean psion or scion? I feel like from the context you mean scion, but I don't know HP canon that well, is psionics involved somehow that I'd never heard of?

You are right.  I definitely meant scion and not psion.

I'm tennis-balling it here, mai!  ::bounces the tennis ball against the wall, thinking::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

persephone325

Got another character sheet via PM. (Who is yummy and delicious, I must say... ;) lol)

I feel a bit better, so I might be able to get the OOC and Character Thread up tonight. Though we can't really do too much without teachers. I'll get to work on a CS for that as well.

EDIT: PhantomPistoleer (9" Willow, Dragon)
Niferbelle (12", Holly, Dragon)
GnothiSeauton (12 inch, Holly, Dragon)
mai (12", Holly, Dragon)

That's quite a few similar wands!! Did you all take the test to see which wand you would get? That's perfectly fine. But after seeing so many duplicates, I'd like to add an option that if you would rather hand pick your wand wood and core to better suit your character then that's perfectly acceptable to do.
I don't know.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: persephone325 on January 07, 2014, 08:47:35 PM
That's quite a few similar wands!! Did you all take the test to see which wand you would get? That's perfectly fine. But after seeing so many duplicates, I'd like to add an option that if you would rather hand pick your wand wood and core to better suit your character then that's perfectly acceptable to do.

Okay, just so no one else has to go and find stuff...

Most wands are long, thin rods of wood with a magical substance embedded into their core. Among the woods used are holly, sycamore, ebony, hawthorn, fir, hazel, pear, oak, cherry, vine, rowan, cedar, ivy, rosewood, blackthorn, willow, elm, ash, mahogany, yew, birch, aspen, and elder. The cores that have been documented are phoenix feather, dragon heartstring, Veela hair, unicorn hair, Thestral tail hair, Kneazle whiskers, Troll whisker, and Kelpie hair[4]. The wandmaker Garrick Ollivander mentioned that he did not use Veela hair because it made for "temperamental" wands. Other magical substances may be used for cores, but none have yet been specified.

Other important characteristics of a wand are its length and its rigidity, ranging from "unyielding" to "springy." All these different factors have various effects on the character of the wand, but these rules are subtle. The characteristics of a wand also seem to have some influence over which kinds of magic the wand is particularly suited for. For example, James Potter's wand was excellent at Transfiguration, and Lily Evans' wand was described as being nice for Charms work.

The exact process of making a wand is not known. Likely, it is as difficult and complex as wandlore itself

Okay, so I will go with a springy 9" Hawthorne, Beast of Gévaudan's Tongue wand.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

persephone325

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 07, 2014, 11:22:24 PM
Okay, just so no one else has to go and find stuff...

Well, it would still be in the player's best interest to look on the wiki and see the description for each wood and core. ^^
I don't know.

Ember Star

CURSE YOU WOMAN! *wants...so...bad... but is trying to reduce RP not add*
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Florence

For the record, I've got Sylvianne's as a 9" Willow, Phoenix :D

I actually do really like the description of the wand for her character. :o

Edit: Also sorry for not having it out yet, I was working on it, but then I ate dinner, and... I ate too much... so I had to sleep it off >_>;
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

persephone325

Quote from: Ember Star on January 08, 2014, 12:35:19 AM
CURSE YOU WOMAN! *wants...so...bad... but is trying to reduce RP not add*

lol Ember... ;) I'd love to have you at some point! ^^

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 08, 2014, 12:38:07 AM
For the record, I've got Sylvianne's as a 9" Willow, Phoenix :D

I actually do really like the description of the wand for her character. :o

Edit: Also sorry for not having it out yet, I was working on it, but then I ate dinner, and... I ate too much... so I had to sleep it off >_>;

Don't worry. We're not going to be starting within the next day or so. You'll have plenty of time to fine tune your character. That goes for everyone.
I don't know.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

persephone325

OK. Faculty sheet is up now.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but do try to stick to OCs. If you really, really, really want to play a canon character, that's fine. But if you're only making one character, go with an OC.

I'll probably take on the Headmistress role for GM reasons. I might make an OC for that purpose, or I might just stick with Madame Maxime. Either case, the Headmistress character won't be a main aspect in the RP until certain events pop up. (The Welcoming/Sorting Ceremony, choir performances, end of the year ceremony, etc.)
I don't know.

Florence

When is this rp going to start btw? ICly, I mean?

Real time progression is the easiest to keep track of, I suppose, but it can get confusing enough fast in forum rps anyway.

Also I'm not sure what time the school years typically start in muggle France, let alone the wizarding school system there xD

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 08, 2014, 01:53:49 AM
When is this rp going to start btw? ICly, I mean?

Real time progression is the easiest to keep track of, I suppose, but it can get confusing enough fast in forum rps anyway.

Also I'm not sure what time the school years typically start in muggle France, let alone the wizarding school system there xD

Once we get some staff members. And, of course, my characters! lol

As for in game time, I'll let you guys know.
I don't know.

Senti

RubySlippers

How good does my character need to be at magic to get in? I'm planning to have her complete her Muggle Education up through the lowest level professional diploma earning a credential as a massage therapist (a fairly good level of techniques) and used British Quckspell Correspondence Courses and her magical parent tutoring her. But she will kind of suck compared to many students.

Plus side she will be earning coins giving massages that should make her fun to have around her family not being wealthy.

But she will likely only be decent in Charms.

Niferbelle

Got another character sheet via PM. (Who is yummy and delicious, I must say... ;) lol)

I feel a bit better, so I might be able to get the OOC and Character Thread up tonight. Though we can't really do too much without teachers. I'll get to work on a CS for that as well.

mai (12", Holly, Dragon)

I did take the test. I think I might adjust mine though if thatr's all right now that we can choose. I'll let you know what I decide :)

Wajin

so, working on a sheet too, also got 12" holly dragon, think I'll switch it for 14", Elm, Thestral Hair
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Niferbelle

I decided to go ahead and change Tai's wand as well. It's now 12", Red Oak, Hippogriff feather :)

GnothiSeauton

mai (12", Holly, Dragon)

I don't mind changing mine as well.  If it hasn't already been taken, I'll have my wand be 12 inch Walnut with Unicorn hair.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories