Before we get to a FAQ - forum organization

Started by Vekseid, May 09, 2008, 08:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I'd like some suggestions as to how the forums are organized - if the way they are now is good, or if anyone has suggestions for mergers, new boards, and the like. For example, Threddies and Magic Moments isn't getting used much, could be merged into On Topic, etc.

Greenthorn

Personally the addition of what each board is exactly for, viewable from the main forum page, would be nice.  "Terrorize the ladies" only gets seen when one puts their mouse over the board..and well..what exactly does "terrorize the ladies" mean?

Elvi

I think first of all, we need a forum 'clean up'.
There are a lot of old rules and FAQ threads that no longer apply, either they have been superceded, or were only relavent for that time.

I would then like to see a single 'locked' thread which gives the basic information, such as what the different abreviations are, how to set up games, how to advertise games and where to look for certain things.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Greenthorn on May 09, 2008, 06:56:14 PM
Personally the addition of what each board is exactly for, viewable from the main forum page, would be nice.  "Terrorize the ladies" only gets seen when one puts their mouse over the board..and well..what exactly does "terrorize the ladies" mean?

Plus, why only the ladies? I'm told that there are a good many men here that won't mind being terrorized.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Vekseid

I resisted doing that in part to keep the forum from superscrolling, but I suppose it's needed. At the very least, each of the main boards could have a more thorough description that I could make pop up for now - any volunteers on going through and making a list of what the descriptions should be?

I've done a partial cleanup as Elvi suggested.

Moondazed

If no one else has volunteered, I'll help with the descriptions.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Vekseid

Probably best if more than one person handles it, I'll make a new thread.

Moondazed

In looking at the categories, I wonder if it would make it easier to have them separated one level deeper?  Right now there are 11 categories under Consensual and 12 under Non-Consensual.  I don't know if it would further complicate things or simplify them in the long run, but viewing the categories as someone who's never seen them, it might be clearer to have them broken down a bit further under the respective headings, which would probably simplify the descriptions.  Something like:

Consensual Sex

Light
      Single Threads
      Small Games
      Big Games

Weird
      Single Threads
      Small Games
      Big Games

Bondage:Normal
      Single Threads
      Small Games
      Big Games

Bondage:Exotic
      Single Threads
      Small Games
      Big Games

I'm thinking that that it's clearer at first glance what the categories are and how they're broken down, as well as the description not needing to be repeated for each subcategory on the main page.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Captain Maltese

What's the vital difference between weird and bondage:exotic anyway?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Vekseid

Weird is stuff like furries - no bondage needed.

Moondazed

Isn't that what exotic means too, in this context?

NightBird

Here's the general gist of the terms. For efficiency, I just copied from the instructions written for the literature boards:

The Literary boards on Elliquiy are to share your writing with others on the site and talk about the art and craft of writing. The boards to post short stories or excerpts from a larger work are divided by the nature of the content posted, the same way the role playing section is:

Yeah, I know some extra stuff is in there, but it was quick and got the definitions posted into this discussion! :P

Since then, 'Midtones' has been replaced by 'Bondage' and 'Heavy' by 'Non-Con'.

NightBird

Hmmm.... I just took another look, and we still have the issue of 'Light' and 'Normal' and 'Weird' and 'Exotic'.

Maybe standardize?

[The way I see it, the terminology below avoids using the value-laden term of 'normal' and ought to be easier to understand at a glance that what we presently have.]

Consensual Light (games without bondage, non-consensual sex or extreme elements)
  Humanoid Light Single Threads
  Humanoid Light Small Games
  Exotic Light Single Threads
  Exotic Light Small Games
  Light Big Games

Consensual with Bondage (games without non-consensual sex or extreme elements)
  Humanoid Bondage Single Threads
  Humanoid Bondage Small Games
  Exotic Bondage Single Threads
  Exotic Bondage Small Games
  Bondage Big Games

Non-Consensual (games with non-consensual sex but without extreme elements)
  Humanoid Non-Con Freeform Single Threads
  Humanoid Non-Con Freeform Small Games
  Humanoid Non-Con Freeform Big Games
  Humanoid Non-Con System Single Threads
  Humanoid Non-Con System Small Games
  Humanoid Non-Con System Big Games
  Exotic Non-Con Freeform Single Threads
  Exotic Non-Con Freeform Small Games
  Exotic Non-Con Freeform Big Games
  Exotic Non-Con System Single Threads
  Exotic Non-Con System Small Games
  Exotic Non-Con System Big Games

Extreme (games where the site limits are the only limits)
  Humanoid Extreme Single Threads
  Humanoid Extreme Small Games
  Exotic Extreme Single Threads
  Exotic Extreme Small Games
  Extreme Big Games

Moondazed

I was thinking the same thing re. 'normal' :)

NightBird

Cool! *grins widely* I think that's a really good message to be sending, and I'm really glad I'm not the only one to have had that thought.

I'm not totally satisfied with 'extreme' as a title word kind of on the same basis, but I think we need a single word there that's evocative of what the category is to include.

Moondazed

Sadly, there isn't a categorical term to replace it (like there was with normal/humanoid).

Elvi

Could you define humanoid please?

To me that means anything that is upright on two legs and 'speaks/thinks' and cyborgs or 'robots are referred to as humanoid too.

Wouldn't that confuse Exotic?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Vekseid

May just call it 'human' and allow ears and eyes or something.

Jester

Quote from: Vekseid on May 09, 2008, 08:00:26 AM
Threddies and Magic Moments isn't getting used much, could be merged into On Topic, etc.

Would you mind if i objected to this statement?

I dont think this needs to be merged and i am glad it is not used much. I hate to sound like a prick but it was me that first suggested the threddies and I think there are others that will back me up and i can find the threads if necessary.

I dont think it should be a regular slot and i would be sad if it was. I would also hate it to be just shoved in a corner. I think its just right at the momoent when a story gets credit when it deserves it. So please dont change it.

Moondazed

On another subject regarding forum organization: Vek, would you please create at least the skeleton of the extreme board so that a Steambox-equivalent can be created there so that discussion of such things can happen there instead?  It doesn't bother me, but I suspect others may not enjoy having threads that would make them vomit discussed in any other forum :)

Vekseid

New organization done, feel free to comment here.

Post new descriptions for the top-level forums here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14982.0

Quote from: Jester on May 10, 2008, 06:11:04 PM
Would you mind if i objected to this statement?

I dont think this needs to be merged and i am glad it is not used much. I hate to sound like a prick but it was me that first suggested the threddies and I think there are others that will back me up and i can find the threads if necessary.

I dont think it should be a regular slot and i would be sad if it was. I would also hate it to be just shoved in a corner. I think its just right at the momoent when a story gets credit when it deserves it. So please dont change it.

Sorry for jumping the issue. I'm not opposed to re-creating it at a future date, but I'd rather wait until there were fifty or sixty of the awards, and some significant discussion centered on a few. I know we have at least that many threads worth mentioning here.

Vekseid

No comments about the current organization?

Besides driving Hunter crazy, I mean.

MagicalPen

I think its better organized, FTW, easier to find the right place to post things. I might add, what happened to the Introductions Archive? Or do 'accepted' Intros go somewhere else now with the new rules governing acceptance to the site?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Vekseid

It never moved? It's on the bottom left...

MagicalPen

Ah...i was looking for it directly below INTRODUCTIONS.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games